Thread: Bollinger hurt???

Hall Of Fame
    Brooks drops the ball

By RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

NEW ORLEANS - The Jets' backup-quarterback situation still is a question mark. And it could be further muddled by an injury to Brooks Bollinger.

Bollinger, in his first major audition for the No. 2 job, committed two turnovers in an uneven performance last night against the Saints.

In third quarter, Bollinger sprained his right knee on a 28-yard completion to WR Jerricho Cotchery. He stayed in the game for another six plays, leading the offense to its only TD - a 3-yard run by LaMont Jordan.

Bollinger (6-for-11, 85 yards), replaced by Ricky Ray, watched the rest of the game from the sideline, his knee heavily wrapped. Herman Edwards said he didn't know the severity of the injury, although it doesn't appear serious.

Edwards praised Bollinger's performance, particularly the way he rebounded from a bad start. Bollinger, who replaced Chad Pennington in the first quarter, played two series behind the starting line. And both ended with turnovers. He fumbled on a sack by DE Darren Howard and, on the first play of the next series, fumbled on a botched exchange with C Kevin Mawae.

If the Jets aren't happy with Bollinger and Ray, they will try to acquire a veteran. Ray (6-for-16, 55 yards, one interception) was shaky.

TALK ISN'T CHEAP: The Pennington negotiations should heat up next week. His agent, Tom Condon, and assistant GM Mike Tannenbaum are expected to meet in the coming days. Time is running out. Both sides agreed that if a deal can't be reached by Sept. 1, they will suspend talks until after the season. Pennington is entering the final year of his contract.

If the Jets can't sign Pennington by next March, they can use their "franchise" tag on him. That would eat up about $8.6 million in cap space.

NOT YET: Wayne Chrebet's long-anticipated return will have to wait until next week. Chrebet, who hasn't played a game in 10 months due to multiple concussions, was a scratch. He has been bothered by a strained groin. ... WR Santana Moss (hamstring) didn't play, either. LB Eric Barton (hamstring) and SS Reggie Tongue (calf) also sat out. ... Former Columbia RB Johnathan Reese was impressive, rushing for 56 yards on 13 attempts. ... Former Jets DB Jamie Henderson, nearly killed four months ago in a motorcycle crash, watched the game from the sideline. Henderson, recovering from severe head trauma, is undergoing outpatient rehabilitation near Atlanta. He hopes to resume his career next season.

Originally published on August 14, 2004

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Yep, they had a shot of him sitting on the bench last night at the end of the game all wrapped up from his knee to his ankle.........

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

they said during the game it was nothing....don't know about this morning

He sprained his knee...he should be fine to practice by tuesday probably.

Believe me, his first two series sucked big time..

1) Sacked and stripped of the ball

2) F'ed up the exchange with mawae on the second and the fumble led to points.

LL

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

What kills me is that Chad sort of stuck up for him about that snap, he said that Bollinger wasn't used to taking snaps from Mawae.......... :huh:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetgirl[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 10:08 AM
    [b] What kills me is that Chad sort of stuck up for him about that snap, he said that Bollinger wasn't used to taking snaps from Mawae.......... :huh: [/b][/quote]
    doesn't surprise me, Chad is a classy guy...he let Herm do the blasting, which he did at the halftime talk

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetswin[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 09:04 AM
    [b] they said during the game it was nothing....don't know about this morning [/b][/quote]
    best case scenario he goes on IR...no wait a sec. HE gets CUT!
    damm it. pagel also!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Hey Dawg, it seems like you are kinda anti Bollinger :lol:

All Pro
    $5 sez we are already lookin at the waiver wire for a vet QB...
    brook bollinger suk!

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetswin[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 09:13 AM
    [b] Hey Dawg, it seems like you are kinda anti Bollinger :lol: [/b][/quote]
    yeah I am...I saw the dude in camp last year..he impressed me
    he actually gets into a game against the saints last year he
    messed it up....one year later and he screwed it up again big
    time give me a break fah cryin out loud dont ya know! :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif' />

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetdawg+Aug 14 2004, 10:18 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jetdawg @ Aug 14 2004, 10:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jetswin[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 09:13 AM
    [b] Hey Dawg, it seems like you are kinda anti Bollinger :lol: [/b][/quote]
    yeah I am...I saw the dude in camp last year..he impressed me
    he actually gets into a game against the saints last year he
    messed it up....one year later and he screwed it up again big
    time give me a break fah cryin out loud dont ya know&#33; :&#60;&#33;--emo&Angry:--&#62;[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]&#60;&#33;--endemo--&#62; [/b][/quote]
    I was thinking the same exact thing, he looked great last year in camp...this year he looked bad, and last night, shaky at best

Hall Of Fame
    I hope he isn&#39;t hurt enough that he can&#39;t play next week...........

I agree, he did suck last night. He kind of reminded me of a guy who was REAL neverous.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Made a couple of good throws, then would do something stupid. Looked very uncomfortable in the pocket, had a few leaks in the line.

Like to see him one more week. Can&#39;t think of anyone out there that is any good. Maybe someone will be cut later, but for now I hope he just got stage fright.

Veteran
    Lets give Bollinger a little break now. Lets see what happens the next couple of weeks.

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetswin+Aug 14 2004, 10:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jetswin @ Aug 14 2004, 10:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jetgirl[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 10:08 AM
    [b] What kills me is that Chad sort of stuck up for him about that snap, he said that Bollinger wasn&#39;t used to taking snaps from Mawae.......... :huh: [/b][/quote]
    doesn&#39;t surprise me, Chad is a classy guy...he let Herm do the blasting, which he did at the halftime talk [/b][/quote]
    Mawae was on the radio last night later in the game, and he stuck up for Brooks too...kinda hinted at putting the blame on himself as the veteran.

Hall Of Fame
    Hard to believe that Brooks got hurt with the stellar blocking he received last night. ;)

if that&#39;s a sign of things to come, keep Chad&#39;s ass out of there period intil Sept.

Jets Insider VIP
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetgirl[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 09:08 AM
    [b] What kills me is that Chad sort of stuck up for him about that snap, he said that Bollinger wasn&#39;t used to taking snaps from Mawae.......... :huh: [/b][/quote]
    If Chad can stick up for Hackett, he&#39;ll stick up for anyone ;)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by R. Tyme+Aug 15 2004, 05:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (R. Tyme @ Aug 15 2004, 05:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jetgirl[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 09:08 AM
    If Chad can stick up for Hackett, he&#39;ll stick up for anyone ;) [/b][/quote]
    Chad is just a great guy all around............ :D

To me I could care less about Brooks Bollinger..if Chad goes down the season is over..period. If anything to keep things fun would rather see the guy Blackwell or whatever his name was from last year. At least he was fun to watch. Bollinger looked the same as he was in college.

Hall Of Fame
    Why did they leave Brooks in? Even if he didn&#39;t perform well, it&#39;s not good for his psyche.