Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: 1,000 Yards Rushing

  1. #1
    Notice I didn't say ... "Most overrated benchmark in [b]football[/b]"

    Nope ... "Most overrated benchmark in [b]sports[/b]"

    The way people use the phrase "1,000 Yard Rusher", as a means towards suggesting this makes a RB special, is so ridiculous on it's face that it is downright laughable

    This phrase was invented and held meaning when the league played a 12 Game schedule

    If a man rushed for 1,000 in those days at least he was averaging nearly 84 Yards per game ... averaging ... so this phrase was a valid way of labling the player special

    But now, during a 16 Game season, this phrase is beyond ridiculous ... why it remains in the lexicon is an absolute mystery

    Frankly, this phrase lost all meaning when the league went to a 14 Game schedule

    At that point, a man who rushed for a 1,000 Yards was averaging 71.5 Yards per game ... that is nearly 14 Yards per game less than the man who rushed for 1,000 over the course of 12 Games ... over the course of a 14 Game season that is nearly 200 Yards worth of difference

    AND THAT'S THE 14 GAME SCHEDULE!!! ... NOT 16!!

    [b]So let's take a peak at 16 .....[/b]

    The RB who rushed for 1,000 in 12 Games averaged 84 Yards per game

    The RB who rushes for 1,000 in 16 Games averages 63 Yards per game

    The difference between the two is an average of 21 Yards per game

    Over the course of 16 games, these two players are seperated by a grand total of 336 Yards

    [b]So what have we learned here, other than the phrase itself "1,000 Yard Rusher" being used to describe a RB as special is the most overrated benchmark in all of sports?[/b]

    In short, we learned the following

    1. The new benchmark for a RB should be 1,336 Yards Rushing ... that would be comparable to 1,000 Yards {on the nose} for the RB who acheived the old benchmark during the 12 Game schedule era {when the phrase was invented}

    2. These Great RB's of yesteryear often exceeded 1,000 ... in most cases it was more along the lines of 1,100 or 1,200 ... so to be fair {very fair} {almost to fair} the benchmark for a special RB in todays game should at least read [b]1,400[/b]

    [b]I suspect many still use the old phrase for two reasons .....[/b]

    1. Old habits die hard

    2. 1,000 Yards Rushing just rolls off the tongue ... has that perfect sound

    So here's how we tackle #2 ... 1,336 just doesn't have that sound folks are looking for, and as we already discussed, in truth we are talkin about 1,400 as a truly comparable benchmark for the Great RB's of days gone by

    So while it doesn't have that wonderful sound of "1,000" as it rolls off the tongue, it also doesn't sound quite as crude as 1,336

    Therefore, the new phrase to describe the truly special RB should read .....

    [SIZE=3]1400 Yards Rushing[/SIZE]

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,559
    Careful there Ham..The Martinette's will be all over you!! :lol:

  3. #3
    Couldn't agree more Hammer, but I didn't realize the NFL once played a 12 game schedule.

    Here's another factor folks readily forget: When I began watching the NFL in earnest (the early 1980's), teams had a stable of RB's that would touch the ball in any given game. For the Jets, you'd have McNeil, Harper, Augistiniak, Dierking, Long, Barber, Newton, Vick, Hector, ect. all getting rushing attempts on a regular basis. Teams did run more, but the carries where split between several backs.

    These days, teams not only play more games, but most seem to have one primary RB that dominates all the rushing attempts. Outside of Alstott, who's the last fullback that runs the ball more than once or twice a week? Most teams are like Dallas of the 1990's, where Emmit Smith got 90 percent of all rushes--hence the higher number of yards is a lock.

    Ham, you know I followed the AFC South real close in recent seasons for some Net sites. I can tell you Eddie George of Tennessee is the perfect example of why a 1,000 yard season is worthless these days. He dominated the rushing attempts for his team, but if you look at his rushing average, he was down right awful.......In otherwords, he was basically worthless and deserved to be cut. Media outlets that decried his release as "unjust" or "unwise" are foolish.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,559
    Oh Yeah Riggens 12 and 14 game seasons..Here's a Player that many
    here think Cumar is much better than.. :lol:

    [url=http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/BrowJi00.htm]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...rs/BrowJi00.htm[/url]

  5. #5
    teams still fail to have 1000 yard rushers though. plus i don't think anybody put that much emphasis on it anymore, it's all measure relative to the rest of the league

  6. #6
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tfn[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 01:16 PM
    [b] teams still fail to have 1000 yard rushers though. plus i don't think anybody put that much emphasis on it anymore, it's all measure relative to the rest of the league [/b][/quote]
    True, but 18 RBs had 1000 yards last year, and 2 others just missed (including Troy Hambrick!!). 1000 yards isnt the elite anymore.

    Martin's streak isnt impressive IMO as much for the 1000 yards part, as it is the consecutive years part. If it was 800 yards a season for 9 or 10 seasons, it would still be better than most RBs will ever put up.

    I agree with GJ&H - 1400 is a good new benchmark - last year that was Lewis, Green, Tomlinson, McAllister, Portis, Taylor, S. Davis, Alexander and Holmes. That's good company to be in.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    11,462
    Ok, Let's play along here.

    How many yards would Lamont Jordan have with 300 carries this season?

    I am sure that in The Madden Minds of Jets fans. Jordan would have 1,678 yards 12 touchdowns and 5.3 yards a run.

    Now back to the real world. Jordan hasn't been able to stay healthy with just 5 carries a game, Let alone 20 a game.

    When you can carry the ball 250 to 300 times a year and still produce. Then that's the mark of a good runningback.

    Yes, The 1,000 yard mark is overhyped. No question about it. Only once in Martin's career has he ever finished under 1,100 yards though. The 1,000 yard mark is proof of durability and consistency. Martin has been a 1,200 to 1,300 plus yard back in his entire career. He

    His touchdown total from last year is misleading because Jordan before he got hurt again, was getting those carries near the goalline..

    I agree that 1,400 yards for example is a great benchmark for the elite back. The guy who is in The 7 or so at RB in the entire league. We have to designated 1,400 since Martin got 1,300 plus last year.

    There's no question in my mind that Jordan is a #1 back. The Jets have two of them in my opinion. Only crazy fans think that Martin sucks. Everyone else around the league knows that he is a very good back.

    Until the day, He isn't and He proves not to be. He's going to be the starter. When he's not on the level. He'll pull himself out. Is there any doubt about that.

    There is right for concern about Martin because he is 31 years old and I fully understand why fans see great upside in Jordan and see him as a better long term answer. Let's see how this season plays out. If Martin stinks and Jordan stays healthy and plays well. Then, The Jets will have an interesting dilemna when this season ends.

    Just be happy that we have two very good backs. This area is NOT A CONCERN.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,559
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 01:38 PM
    [b] Ok, Let's play along here.

    How many yards would Lamont Jordan have with 300 carries this season?

    I am sure that in The Madden Minds of Jets fans. Jordan would have 1,678 yards 12 touchdowns and 5.3 yards a run.

    Now back to the real world. Jordan hasn't been able to stay healthy with just 5 carries a game, Let alone 20 a game.

    When you can carry the ball 250 to 300 times a year and still produce. Then that's the mark of a good runningback.

    Yes, The 1,000 yard mark is overhyped. No question about it. Only once in Martin's career has he ever finished under 1,100 yards though. The 1,000 yard mark is proof of durability and consistency. Martin has been a 1,200 to 1,300 plus yard back in his entire career. He

    His touchdown total from last year is misleading because Jordan before he got hurt again, was getting those carries near the goalline..

    I agree that 1,400 yards for example is a great benchmark for the elite back. The guy who is in The 7 or so at RB in the entire league. We have to designated 1,400 since Martin got 1,300 plus last year.

    There's no question in my mind that Jordan is a #1 back. The Jets have two of them in my opinion. Only crazy fans think that Martin sucks. Everyone else around the league knows that he is a very good back.

    Until the day, He isn't and He proves not to be. He's going to be the starter. When he's not on the level. He'll pull himself out. Is there any doubt about that.

    There is right for concern about Martin because he is 31 years old and I fully understand why fans see great upside in Jordan and see him as a better long term answer. Let's see how this season plays out. If Martin stinks and Jordan stays healthy and plays well. Then, The Jets will have an interesting dilemna when this season ends.

    Just be happy that we have two very good backs. This area is NOT A CONCERN. [/b][/quote]
    Aw YJF lets be real OK..Show me where anyone said Martin sucks..
    Martin has been a excellent and Durable back his whole Career..
    Now how do you get Martin sucks out of that?? And Why was Jordan
    getting the tough red zone carries?? Was it because Martin is so good
    in the Red Zone that the NFL wouldn't let us use this Weapon of Mass
    Destruction?? Martin was hurt and wouldn't let Herm replace him.. may
    be because if Jordan really shined he might have his carries cut?? Must
    think HOF for Myself not Bowl for the Jets.. :lol:

  9. #9
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 11:47 AM
    [b] Notice I didn't say ... "Most overrated benchmark in [b]football[/b]"

    Nope ... "Most overrated benchmark in [b]sports[/b]"

    The way people use the phrase "1,000 Yard Rusher", as a means towards suggesting this makes a RB special, is so ridiculous on it's face that it is downright laughable

    This phrase was invented and held meaning when the league played a 12 Game schedule

    If a man rushed for 1,000 in those days at least he was averaging nearly 84 Yards per game ... averaging ... so this phrase was a valid way of labling the player special

    But now, during a 16 Game season, this phrase is beyond ridiculous ... why it remains in the lexicon is an absolute mystery

    Frankly, this phrase lost all meaning when the league went to a 14 Game schedule

    At that point, a man who rushed for a 1,000 Yards was averaging 71.5 Yards per game ... that is nearly 14 Yards per game less than the man who rushed for 1,000 over the course of 12 Games ... over the course of a 14 Game season that is nearly 200 Yards worth of difference

    AND THAT'S THE 14 GAME SCHEDULE!!! ... NOT 16!!

    [b]So let's take a peak at 16 .....[/b]

    The RB who rushed for 1,000 in 12 Games averaged 84 Yards per game

    The RB who rushes for 1,000 in 16 Games averages 63 Yards per game

    The difference between the two is an average of 21 Yards per game

    Over the course of 16 games, these two players are seperated by a grand total of 336 Yards

    [b]So what have we learned here, other than the phrase itself "1,000 Yard Rusher" being used to describe a RB as special is the most overrated benchmark in all of sports?[/b]

    In short, we learned the following

    1. The new benchmark for a RB should be 1,336 Yards Rushing ... that would be comparable to 1,000 Yards {on the nose} for the RB who acheived the old benchmark during the 12 Game schedule era {when the phrase was invented}

    2. These Great RB's of yesteryear often exceeded 1,000 ... in most cases it was more along the lines of 1,100 or 1,200 ... so to be fair {very fair} {almost to fair} the benchmark for a special RB in todays game should at least read [b]1,400[/b]

    [b]I suspect many still use the old phrase for two reasons .....[/b]

    1. Old habits die hard

    2. 1,000 Yards Rushing just rolls off the tongue ... has that perfect sound

    So here's how we tackle #2 ... 1,336 just doesn't have that sound folks are looking for, and as we already discussed, in truth we are talkin about 1,400 as a truly comparable benchmark for the Great RB's of days gone by

    So while it doesn't have that wonderful sound of "1,000" as it rolls off the tongue, it also doesn't sound quite as crude as 1,336

    Therefore, the new phrase to describe the truly special RB should read .....

    [SIZE=3]1400 Yards Rushing[/SIZE] [/b][/quote]
    Truer words have never been spoken

  10. #10
    thanks GJH, i've been tryin to make this point for a few years now, just haven't been able to articulate it as well as you.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Bayou
    Posts
    3,215
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 12:51 PM
    [b] And Why was Jordan
    getting the tough red zone carries?? Was it because Martin is so good
    in the Red Zone that the NFL wouldn't let us use this Weapon of Mass
    Destruction?? [/b][/quote]
    Savage, why did Ron Rivers get most of the Lions' red zone carries? Because he was better than Barry Sanders?? :rolleyes:

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    4,132
    And Curtis Martin continues to be the underrated Athlete..Notice I didn't say "Football Player", but Athlete...in the Modern Era of Sports.


    "Gee, now lets use a Math Word Problem to show how little we regard our Franchises only Hall of Fame caliber Running back they've ever had".


    If it was such a simple thing to do, and so "overated", then tell me: WHY exactly have there been only TWO Running Backs able to eclipse 1000 yards rushing for 9 straight seasons?

    And believe me, you guys know me, and I am NO "Martinite", but I DO respect his talent and ability.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,559
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Troll[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 03:18 PM
    [b] Savage, why did Ron Rivers get most of the Lions' red zone carries? Because he was better than Barry Sanders?? :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    So your saying Ron Rivers a undrafted Back that came to the Lions
    when Sanders was entering his 7 yr and had 3 TD's in his 6 yr Career
    is the Equal to Lamont or was better than Barry in the red zone?? Why
    not just admit you don&#39;t like Jordan thats a real Lame Comparison&#33; <_<

  14. #14
    [quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 01:38 PM
    [b] I agree that 1,400 yards for example is a great benchmark for the elite back. The guy who is in The 7 or so at RB in the entire league. We have to designated 1,400 since Martin got 1,300 plus last year. [/b][/quote]
    I dont think anyone is saying 1400 because Martin got 1300, if thats what youre getting at.

    Folks are saying that because 1400 puts you in the top 8-10 backs. Thats the elite. Top 25% of starters. When 66% of the leagues primary backs get 1000 yards, the single season 1000 yard mark just isnt that impressive anymore.

    How this became about Martin vs. Jordan, I have no idea.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    bangor, maine
    Posts
    2,860
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 11:47 AM
    [b] Notice I didn&#39;t say ... "Most overrated benchmark in [b]football[/b]"

    Nope ... "Most overrated benchmark in [b]sports[/b]"

    The way people use the phrase "1,000 Yard Rusher", as a means towards suggesting this makes a RB special, is so ridiculous on it&#39;s face that it is downright laughable

    This phrase was invented and held meaning when the league played a 12 Game schedule

    If a man rushed for 1,000 in those days at least he was averaging nearly 84 Yards per game ... averaging ... so this phrase was a valid way of labling the player special

    But now, during a 16 Game season, this phrase is beyond ridiculous ... why it remains in the lexicon is an absolute mystery

    Frankly, this phrase lost all meaning when the league went to a 14 Game schedule

    At that point, a man who rushed for a 1,000 Yards was averaging 71.5 Yards per game ... that is nearly 14 Yards per game less than the man who rushed for 1,000 over the course of 12 Games ... over the course of a 14 Game season that is nearly 200 Yards worth of difference

    AND THAT&#39;S THE 14 GAME SCHEDULE&#33;&#33;&#33; ... NOT 16&#33;&#33;

    [b]So let&#39;s take a peak at 16 .....[/b]

    The RB who rushed for 1,000 in 12 Games averaged 84 Yards per game

    The RB who rushes for 1,000 in 16 Games averages 63 Yards per game

    The difference between the two is an average of 21 Yards per game

    Over the course of 16 games, these two players are seperated by a grand total of 336 Yards

    [b]So what have we learned here, other than the phrase itself "1,000 Yard Rusher" being used to describe a RB as special is the most overrated benchmark in all of sports?[/b]

    In short, we learned the following

    1. The new benchmark for a RB should be 1,336 Yards Rushing ... that would be comparable to 1,000 Yards {on the nose} for the RB who acheived the old benchmark during the 12 Game schedule era {when the phrase was invented}

    2. These Great RB&#39;s of yesteryear often exceeded 1,000 ... in most cases it was more along the lines of 1,100 or 1,200 ... so to be fair {very fair} {almost to fair} the benchmark for a special RB in todays game should at least read [b]1,400[/b]

    [b]I suspect many still use the old phrase for two reasons .....[/b]

    1. Old habits die hard

    2. 1,000 Yards Rushing just rolls off the tongue ... has that perfect sound

    So here&#39;s how we tackle #2 ... 1,336 just doesn&#39;t have that sound folks are looking for, and as we already discussed, in truth we are talkin about 1,400 as a truly comparable benchmark for the Great RB&#39;s of days gone by

    So while it doesn&#39;t have that wonderful sound of "1,000" as it rolls off the tongue, it also doesn&#39;t sound quite as crude as 1,336

    Therefore, the new phrase to describe the truly special RB should read .....

    [SIZE=3]1400 Yards Rushing[/SIZE] [/b][/quote]
    running back is the most banged up position in the NFL, any RB is lucky to play all 16 games without an injury

    even the best of the backs like Preest Holmes miss 2-3 games a year

  16. #16
    [quote][i]Originally posted by blackout806[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 07:23 PM
    [b] running back is the most banged up position in the NFL, any RB is lucky to play all 16 games without an injury

    even the best of the backs like Preest Holmes miss 2-3 games a year [/b][/quote]
    Priest got 1400 last year :lol:

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,559
    [quote][i]Originally posted by blackout806[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 07:23 PM
    [b]
    even the best of the backs like Preest Holmes miss 2-3 games a year [/b][/quote]
    Holmes has missed 2 games in the last 4 years..One thing no one can
    dispute is Martin won&#39;t come out even if it hurts the Team&#33;&#33; <_<

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Boca Raton Fl.
    Posts
    2,618
    Ham you speak the truth. 1,000 yds in 16 games is watered down. I look at yrds per carry to help judge an outstanding back. Maybe we can reincarnate Ford Frick and get an * added. Great post and plenty of ammo.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    bangor, maine
    Posts
    2,860
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet+Aug 14 2004, 06:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Brooklyn Jet @ Aug 14 2004, 06:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-blackout806[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 07:23 PM
    [b] running back is the most banged up position in the NFL, any RB is lucky to play all 16 games without an injury

    even the best of the backs like Preest Holmes miss 2-3 games a year [/b][/quote]
    Priest got 1400 last year :lol: [/b][/quote]
    notice how i said "even the [b]best[/b] of backs miss 2-3 games a year

    :rolleyes:

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,559
    [quote][i]Originally posted by blackout806[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 07:32 PM
    [b] notice how i said "even the [b]best[/b] of backs miss 2-3 games a year

    :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    By mentioning Holmes you were implying he missed 2 or 3 games
    a year&#33;&#33; If I said many QB&#39;s like Brady love Purses wouldn&#39;t you conclude
    Brady liked a Purse?? :lol:

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us