Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1,000 Yards Rushing

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only care about ypc, look at ricky williams, he had alot of yards last year, but his ypc was bad.

but, 1400 should be coined the new benchmark for nfl backs

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 06:28 PM
    [b] [One thing no one can
    dispute is Martin won&#39;t come out even if it hurts the Team&#33;&#33; <_< [/b][/quote]
    When will you get it through your thick skull that Martin told Herm publicly last year that he would take a seat if that was best for the team when he struggled early on??????

Damn man your argument is old and without facts. Martin said he would take a seat....you just don&#39;t get it do you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Chase+Aug 14 2004, 08:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Chase &#064; Aug 14 2004, 08:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-savage69[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 06:28 PM
    [b] [One thing no one can
    dispute is Martin won&#39;t come out even if it hurts the Team&#33;&#33; <_< [/b][/quote]
    When will you get it through your thick skull that Martin told Herm publicly last year that he would take a seat if that was best for the team when he struggled early on??????

Damn man your argument is old and without facts. Martin said he would take a seat....you just don&#39;t get it do you? [/b][/quote]
    Chase you don&#39;t get it&#33;&#33; If Martin REALLY said that then Herm
    should be fired on the spot for playing a Back with 2 high ankle
    sprains in 2002&#33;&#33; If you don&#39;t like my Posts don&#39;t read them&#33;&#33; Tell you
    what post the link where he said it and I&#39;ll stop&#33;&#33; Your telling me
    Herm thinks Martin is better hurt than a Healthy Lamont?? I&#39;m a
    Jet Fan..Your a Martin Fan..Thats the difference between us&#33;&#33; :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 12:08 PM
    [b] Oh Yeah Riggens 12 and 14 game seasons..Here&#39;s a Player that many
    here think Cumar is much better than.. :lol:

[url=http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/BrowJi00.htm]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...rs/BrowJi00.htm[/url] [/b][/quote]
    No doubt Savage, Brown was the best RB I ever saw. As a kid growing up, I remember he was bigger than the game. An awesome player that I wish you younger guys could have watched.

If I was starting a football team, he would be the first guy I would choose and I wouldn&#39;t look back...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don&#39;t know how to post links but anyway here it is....you can do the rest of the reasearch if ya want:

Sep 30, 2003, 10:38
    Jets - RB Martin Willing To Split Time With Jordan
    Mark Cannizzaro, New York Post - [Full Article]

In a quietly-dramatic, unselfish, team-first gesture yesterday, Curtis Martin offered to sacrifice some of his playing time to get backup LaMont Jordan more carries if Edwards believes it will help the team. Martin is the ultimate team player and the heartbeat of the Jets&#39; locker room.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Chase[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 09:17 PM
    [b] I don&#39;t know how to post links but anyway here it is....you can do the rest of the reasearch if ya want:

In a quietly-dramatic, unselfish, team-first gesture yesterday, Curtis Martin offered to sacrifice some of his playing time to get backup LaMont Jordan more carries if Edwards believes it will help the team. Martin is the ultimate team player and the heartbeat of the Jets&#39; locker room. [/b][/quote]
    If you don&#39;t know how to post links, I&#39;ll take your Word&#33; But then will
    you agree a Coach that plays a Back that hurt has no place in the NFL??
    I&#39;m talking 2002 here keep in mind..He was Hurt in the first Bills Game
    when Vinny was still the QB.. <_< Ooop..I forgot your also a Herm Man
    too..Never mind&#33;&#33; :lol:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Hermanator+Aug 14 2004, 09:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Hermanator @ Aug 14 2004, 09:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-savage69[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 12:08 PM
    [b] Oh Yeah Riggens 12 and 14 game seasons..Here&#39;s a Player that many
    here think Cumar is much better than.. :lol:

[url=http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/BrowJi00.htm]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play...rs/BrowJi00.htm[/url] [/b][/quote]
    No doubt Savage, Brown was the best RB I ever saw. As a kid growing up, I remember he was bigger than the game. An awesome player that I wish you younger guys could have watched.

If I was starting a football team, he would be the first guy I would choose and I wouldn&#39;t look back... [/b][/quote]
    Herm, most of these Fans think whoever was playing when they became
    a Fan was the Best ever..I saw Brown at Manhasset HS as a Kid&#33; He was
    a Man playing with Boys it seemed&#33;&#33; And as Irony would have it another Syracuse
    back by the name of Ernie Davis who broke Browns records at his Alma
    Mater died tragically of Leukemia before he had a chance to play..And he was
    drafted by the Browns and would have been Browns relief back.. :(

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don&#39;t try to deny the facts man Martin said he would sit down. You have the info right their to research it if you don&#39;t believe me.

Second of all where do you get that I&#39;m a Herm lover? I wanted Jordan to play when Martin was hurt in 2002 and when he started slow last year. I like the fact that Herm got this team to play hard every week even though the odds were stacked against them. They could have mailed it in (IE Giants) but they didn&#39;t.

In 2002 same thing. The whole world believed that the season was done at 1-4 and they refused to quit and won the East.could be said that they shouldn&#39;t have been in that position in the first place and I agree with that also.

If Herm can&#39;t get it done with a hopefully healthy Chad then I&#39;m all for showing him the door. We just have to wait and see. But in regards to CMart you are dead wrong in regards that he won&#39;t sit down if that&#39;s what&#39;s best for the team. It&#39;s right there in black and white. It&#39;s okay to like Jordan over Martin but don&#39;t say things about Curtis that are not facts. Makes ya look kind of silly IMO.

I think Jordan can be a special back in this league..and he should get more carries to spell Martin. But as of now Curtis just had a 1300 yrd season and averaged over 4.0 YPC (which to me is really the key if a back gets over 1,000 yds.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Chase[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 09:37 PM
    [b] Don&#39;t try to deny the facts man Martin said he would sit down. You have the info right their to research it if you don&#39;t believe me.

(which to me is really the key if a back gets over 1,000 yds. [/b][/quote]
    Did I not say I take your Word?? And If a thousand yds, 62.5 a Game
    works for you thats Great&#33;&#33; All I ever said was 1 A Heathy player should
    play over a hurt one and in 2002 Chad saved the season because Herm was
    forced to play him.. I just want the Team to win..To many IMHO just want
    individuals to do well... <_<

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please don&#39;t take my quote out of context... I said that Martin had 1300 yds and that a 4.0 average is a good gauge as to how a RB with over 1,000 yrds should be considered a successful year.

Martin is still proving he can get it done, and contrary to what you keep saying he has said he would sit if it were better to the TEAM&#33; Of course being the warrior that he is he will play hurt, and that should not be a mark against him.

With that said he said he would sit down. That article blows your argument out of the water and you know it. Like I said I want what&#39;s best for the Jets and not individual accomplishments but it is good for some fans to want a Jets player to receive some praise as an all time great. We have very few over the years and as long as he is still productive why not. Curtis is not hurting this team in any way...Look at his numbers from last year. Only thing you can call him on is his 2 tds but as some one that looks at the game every week you know that in the redzone Lamont received those carries...he is a bigger stonger back. The Vikes do the same thing with Moe Williams and the Raiders with Crockett. However Vikes fans are not looking for Williams to start over Bennett because he had more TD&#39;s...same with Raider fans with Crockett.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ron Rivers was one of many backs used to vulture Barry&#39;s touchdowns later on in his career. He was the first one that came to mind.

The grass is always greener on the other side, savage. Say what you want about Curtis Martin, but he has done more for this team than any other running back in Jets history, and he continues to do it. It isn&#39;t like his skills are declining to Eddie George or Jerome Bettis type depths. He is still a very good running back, and is the most under-rated in football, even by fans of his own team.

For the record, I&#39;ve followed and liked Lamont since college. I&#39;m a Maryland basketball fan, and although I root for my Fightin&#39; Tigers in football, I keep a close eye on the Terps.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    GJH - Excellent post.

Belichick made an argument to a reporter that was crying we needed a 1000 yard back by asking him what is the difference between one back that gets 1200 yards or two that get 1200?

Granted that was typical Belichick defusing the situation but the point is valid. People get hung up on numbers too much and that is why I like the Patriots steering towards team incentives as oppossed to player incentives..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Chase[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 11:14 PM
    [b]
    With that said he said he would sit down. That article blows your argument out of the water and you know it. Like I said I want what&#39;s best for the Jets and not individual accomplishments but it is good for some fans to want a Jets player to receive some praise as an all time great. We have very few over the years and as long as he is still productive why not. Curtis is not hurting this team in any way...Look at his numbers from last year. Only thing you can call him on is his 2 tds but as some one that looks at the game every week you know that in the redzone Lamont received those carries...he is a bigger stonger back. The Vikes do the same thing with Moe Williams and the Raiders with Crockett. However Vikes fans are not looking for Williams to start over Bennett because he had more TD&#39;s...same with Raider fans with Crockett. [/b][/quote]
    First off..If your married you know sometimes the wife will say things
    that she really doesn&#39;t mean :lol: Second when you look at your feature
    back you should have better praise then"He&#39;s not hurting the Team"..
    And we agree Lamont IS not only Bigger and Stronger,But Faster too&#33;
    And Yes alot of teams will use the more Physical back in the Red Zone&#33;
    Problem is as explained above Jordan is also the Faster Back..When he
    broke away in the Raider game in 2001 on a 3rd and short no one caught
    him and we got 6..If Martin was in we would have got a jitter bug Jitter 2
    yd loss..And at best he would have got the first..But break away?? Martin
    always get caught from behind and you know it..Like I always have said
    Martin has been a Durable and excellent back..All I ever wanted was for
    Lamont to get 10-15 carries per Game and get a Fair shot..Some of you think
    that is nothing short of Sacrilege... <_<

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the 1000 yard mark has basically become the barometer for a slightly better than average back in the league. If you run for 1000 yards, it means you have some type of durability to take the ball x amount of times per game just about every week , and for the most part half the league gains over 1000 and half the league doesn&#39;t.

I think the benchmark for a n excellent back has now become about 90 ypg. If you take the top 16 runners from the last few years that is about what the average is for the top half of the backs. The elite backs sould average out to about 95 ypg, which is a 1500 yard season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Chase[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 09:17 PM
    [b] I don&#39;t know how to post links but anyway here it is....you can do the rest of the reasearch if ya want:

In a quietly-dramatic, unselfish, team-first gesture yesterday, Curtis Martin offered to sacrifice some of his playing time to get backup LaMont Jordan more carries if Edwards believes it will help the team. Martin is the ultimate team player and the heartbeat of the Jets&#39; locker room. [/b][/quote]
    Chase, sweetie that article is dated Sept. 2003. Things change and I&#39;m sure Curtis meant what he said, at the time, but we went down in flames after that article was written, 6 -10 and Curtis is going to give Lamont some floor space? :huh:

I guess that&#39;s why Lamont is complaining (publicly) that he&#39;s NOT being utilized enough and went on to make the first TD of our season to get his point across. Yep, just give #34 some floor space.......... :P

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jason423[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 09:59 AM
    [b] I think the 1000 yard mark has basically become the barometer for a slightly better than average back in the league. If you run for 1000 yards, it means you have some type of durability to take the ball x amount of times per game just about every week , and for the most part half the league gains over 1000 and half the league doesn&#39;t.

I think the benchmark for a n excellent back has now become about 90 ypg. If you take the top 16 runners from the last few years that is about what the average is for the top half of the backs. The elite backs sould average out to about 95 ypg, which is a 1500 yard season. [/b][/quote]
    What would you call a back that had averaged 133 yds per Game
    in his best season and Avg over 100 per game for his Career??And
    I&#39;m talking full seasons not missing 1 game&#33;&#33; ;)