Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santana

All Pro
    As exciting and effective as he can be when returning punts, I dont feel comfortable putting our top WR out there for STs any longer.

I am not sure if the CS is planning to use him in this role anymore, but if they are, I think they need to start looking in other directions.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Am I off target here?

Lots of people here seem to think very highly of Jonathan Carter, maybe he could be our man.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I disagree. He's the best we have. He's a football player after all. Let him do what he does best.

He's one of the most dangerous in the league when he's back there...plus he hasn't been hurt doing it yet. He needs to be back there cuz he can take it to the house at anytime and he also makes the punter think about kicking it out of bounds.

All Pro
    i agree he is the best we have there. he is exciting to watch on the punt returns, and can take it to the house any time he is back there. I am just concerned as to what will happen to our offense if we lose a top WR. I think last year he showed he can be an elite WR. He is more valuable to us there than on returns.
    I will enjoy watching him return punts, but my fingers will be crossed each time.

Yeah but if it isn't Moss then it might be McCareins and that would hurt the passing game as well. I definately hold my breath if someone's gunning for Moss as he's trying to catch the punt...but once he's by the first guy I hold my breath because I think he could reak one off.

completely agree

put Carter there to return them and save Moss for what he is paid to do - catch passes

Undrafted Free Agent
    I agree but Carter is a rail with chicken legs. It's just a matter of time before some back-up linebacker flies down the field and breaks him in two.

All League
    The CS sat him last night to rest his hamstring, which is pretty bizarre because I was at last night's game in NO and he looked fine running wind sprints in pre-game warmups. He ran and stretched for at least 30 minutes and looked fine catching the ball afterwards.

I think having him back to field punts changes the way ST coaches prepare for our games. He is a weapon and although there are risks, he has to be back there.

All League
    For me we have to put our best on the field for us to win-Santana is lethal threat at punt returns -he has to be the guy out there. Special teams play is just as important as the others-just the threat of him back there is an advantage we have to take.

I agree....way to valuable at this point.

Hall Of Fame
    Moss is one of the better Punt returners in the NFL.

He needs to be returning punts. It is part of the reason they moved up to get him.

As Westhoff says, what do you have, 5 or 6 punt returns a game? Just because the Titans dont want to use Mason back there anymore - I think Santana is a weapon, and you get him out there whenever you can.

All Pro
    If Chad was the best punt and kick returner in the league, would you send him out too?

I am not trying to be a wise ass, but I think there is a point where a player becomes to valuable tothe O or D to be on ST.

I love his talent for returning punts, but it is very risky.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Fortunately for us, Westhoff is the one who decides the PR. He's already said that Moss will return punts(not all). The guy's a football player not a sprinter. He's gonna have to get hit once in a while.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by helbigjet[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 04:40 PM
    [b] If Chad was the best punt and kick returner in the league, would you send him out too?

I am not trying to be a wise ass, but I think there is a point where a player becomes to valuable tothe O or D to be on ST.

I love his talent for returning punts, but it is very risky. [/b][/quote]
    Was Moss EVER hurt returning Punt's?? He hurt his knee just running
    with no contact..By using your reasoning we should stop him from
    running! He's a Big Weapon returning Punts..You use your weapons
    to win! More W/R's are hurt going over the middle than returning punts! ;)

[quote][i]Originally posted by helbigjet[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 04:40 PM
    [b] If Chad was the best punt and kick returner in the league, would you send him out too?

I might do that :lol:

I think ST is 1/3 of the game. It can literally win you ballgames, and I hate when people look at it as solely the domain of 2nd and 3rd stringers. If Santana returns a few he could break one for a TD and that could be the balance of the game.

Im not saying all the time, but putting him or McCareins back there really doesnt worry me. Football is a contact sport. He's gonna get hit at times :lol:

[quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 05:59 PM
    [b] More W/R's are hurt going over the middle than returning punts! ;) [/b][/quote]
    Excellent point Savage! At least returning punts he'll see the tacklers coming at him :lol:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet+Aug 14 2004, 05:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Brooklyn Jet @ Aug 14 2004, 05:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-helbigjet[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 04:40 PM

I might do that :lol:

I think ST is 1/3 of the game. It can literally win you ballgames, and I hate when people look at it as solely the domain of 2nd and 3rd stringers. If Santana returns a few he could break one for a TD and that could be the balance of the game.

Im not saying all the time, but putting him or McCareins back there really doesnt worry me. Football is a contact sport. He&#39;s gonna get hit at times :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Funning thing is Joe Theisman returned punts for the Skins before
    his QB chance opened up&#33;&#33; :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by helbigjet[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 03:40 PM

Silly analogy. First, Moss is nowhere near as important to the team as Chad. If Moss were to go down, it would not be the end of the season for the Jets.

Returning punts is not a part of Pennington&#39;s job. If he has to run a naked bootleg to score a TD, I will cover my eyes, and hold my breath, but it is a part of his job, and he is expected to do it.

Returning punts are a BIG part of Moss&#39; job

[quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@Aug 14 2004, 06:01 PM
    [b] Funning thing is Joe Theisman returned punts for the Skins before
    his QB chance opened up&#33;&#33; :lol: [/b][/quote]
    And how&#39;d he break his leg again? :lol:

Maybe returning punts and kicks IS safer than QBing :lol: