Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Let's not be too hasty to toss both backup QBs

  1. #1
    Although I agree that the Jets should look for an experienced backup if a decent one becomes available, I think it's a bit early to be writing guys off totally after one game, especially Ray who has had so few reps with even the 2nd string squad. Here are some stats from other noteable QBs from their 1st season (regular season not exhibition). Don't judge a guy from his first game in the league.

    2000 Pennington 2-5
    2000 Brady 1-3
    1994 Brunell 12-27
    1991 Favre 0-5
    1987 Gannon 2-6
    1999 M.Hasselback 3-10
    1987 Testaverde 71-165

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Look behind you
    Posts
    21,201
    I am willing to give Ricky Ray some more time, I see potential in Ray. Bollinger is a whole different story. He was great in camp last year, stunk in pre-season, stunk in camp this year and is stinking in pre-season........there's just so much stinking you can do.........

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,380
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetgirl[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 03:52 AM
    [b] I am willing to give Ricky Ray some more time, I see potential in Ray. Bollinger is a whole different story. He was great in camp last year, stunk in pre-season, stunk in camp this year and is stinking in pre-season........there's just so much stinking you can do......... [/b][/quote]
    I just don't understand how a kid that has played football for a lot of years outside of the NFL (College, High school, and probably before that) now can't even successfully take a snap from a pro-bowl center! Makes you wonder how bad the 3rd string center that got blamed for his fumbles in practice really was also.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,926
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Beerfish[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 01:26 AM
    [b]Although I agree that the Jets should look for an experienced backup if a decent one becomes available, I think it's a bit early to be writing guys off totally after one game, especially Ray who has had so few reps with even the 2nd string squad. Here are some stats from other noteable QBs from their 1st season (regular season not exhibition). Don't judge a guy from his first game in the league.

    2000 Pennington 2-5
    2000 Brady 1-3
    1994 Brunell 12-27
    1991 Favre 0-5
    1987 Gannon 2-6
    1999 M.Hasselback 3-10
    1987 Testaverde 71-165[/b][/quote]
    I won't go through the Rest Beerfish but 2-5 may sound Bad but
    Chad scored a TD with that 2-5 and had a QB rating of 127%!! :lol:

    [url=http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187395]http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187395[/url]

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Boca Raton Fl.
    Posts
    2,618
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Trades+Aug 15 2004, 07:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Trades @ Aug 15 2004, 07:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jetgirl[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 03:52 AM
    [b] I am willing to give Ricky Ray some more time, I see potential in Ray. Bollinger is a whole different story. He was great in camp last year, stunk in pre-season, stunk in camp this year and is stinking in pre-season........there&#39;s just so much stinking you can do......... [/b][/quote]
    I just don&#39;t understand how a kid that has played football for a lot of years outside of the NFL (College, High school, and probably before that) now can&#39;t even successfully take a snap from a pro-bowl center&#33; Makes you wonder how bad the 3rd string center that got blamed for his fumbles in practice really was also. [/b][/quote]
    alot of things come in to play with the exchange. Granted most comon is QB pulling out to quick. Believe the coaches can tell better what happened from game films better than the fans from a TV feed. If Bol can&#39;t hack it he needs to pack his bags. Don&#39;t believe Herm will p***y foot this camp. Wants players who can fill roles and exicute. Alot riding on this season for him and the organization.

  6. #6
    Beerfish, eh? Nice name.

    I still think Rickey Ray will be a fine #2 QB for us. However, maybe tossing Bollinger for a has-been/never-was Veteran may not be such a bad idea. The problem really is this: Which loser FA QB do we really want right now? Is there even a single guy we would feel comfortable with as our #2?

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,926
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 10:30 AM
    [b] Beerfish, eh? Nice name.

    I still think Rickey Ray will be a fine #2 QB for us. However, maybe tossing Bollinger for a has-been/never-was Veteran may not be such a bad idea. The problem really is this: Which loser FA QB do we really want right now? Is there even a single guy we would feel comfortable with as our #2? [/b][/quote]
    Thats the problem Warfish..Most any QB worth his salt still thinks
    he can be number 1..Like Vinny&#33;&#33; Who if had had some preseason
    work last year would have been better prepared&#33; He was fighting
    both Hackett who wouldn&#39;t change to Vinny&#39;s strenths and Rust from
    not seeing live action since early in the season the year before&#33; And
    of course there&#39;s the Cap and Money issue to take into consideration&#33;
    Brady coming off the Bench and playing that well doesn&#39;t happen every
    day..And a Proven Vet costs more than most can pay.. :(

  8. #8
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+Aug 15 2004, 09:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ Aug 15 2004, 09:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warfish[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 10:30 AM
    [b] Beerfish, eh? Nice name.

    I still think Rickey Ray will be a fine #2 QB for us. However, maybe tossing Bollinger for a has-been/never-was Veteran may not be such a bad idea. The problem really is this: Which loser FA QB do we really want right now? Is there even a single guy we would feel comfortable with as our #2? [/b][/quote]
    Thats the problem Warfish..Most any QB worth his salt still thinks
    he can be number 1..Like Vinny&#33;&#33; Who if had had some preseason
    work last year would have been better prepared&#33; He was fighting
    both Hackett who wouldn&#39;t change to Vinny&#39;s strenths and Rust from
    not seeing live action since early in the season the year before&#33; And
    of course there&#39;s the Cap and Money issue to take into consideration&#33;
    Brady coming off the Bench and playing that well doesn&#39;t happen every
    day..And a Proven Vet costs more than most can pay.. :( [/b][/quote]
    100% agreed. We don&#39;t need someone here thinking they are going to unseat Chad. We don&#39;t need an ego, especially an expensive one (like a Vet who thinks he still "has it").

    We need a Frank Reich, that is what we need. Someone who knows his place, and relishes his abillity to be a stud #2 QB, who likes the idea of saving his team if his #1 goes down.

    Problems? Well, there are no Frank Reich&#39;s these days, and what IS available (like most players today) is full of Ego and big &#036;&#036; demands....

  9. #9
    I think in most cases you&#39;d be looking at other teams 3rd QB&#39;s with the thought that they might be good enough 2nd stringers. On one of the forums (I think it was another Jets forum) I listed a number of QB&#39;s who were 3rd on their teams depth chart that might be available. Someone said there was a story that the Jets were talking about perhaps getting Tim Hasselback, he has looked prety good when I&#39;ve seen him in the past.

    re: Savages point....yeah one of Pennigtons completetions was for a 50 yard td or something but why let the real story get in the way of my stats. :D )

  10. #10
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Beerfish[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 09:50 AM
    [b] I think in most cases you&#39;d be looking at other teams 3rd QB&#39;s with the thought that they might be good enough 2nd stringers. On one of the forums (I think it was another Jets forum) I listed a number of QB&#39;s who were 3rd on their teams depth chart that might be available. Someone said there was a story that the Jets were talking about perhaps getting Tim Hasselback, he has looked prety good when I&#39;ve seen him in the past.

    re: Savages point....yeah one of Pennigtons completetions was for a 50 yard td or something but why let the real story get in the way of my stats. :D ) [/b][/quote]
    Having seen Hasselback play a number of times (he does play here in D.C. after all), I think he would make a very competent backup QB, although he may be better suiter for the #3 job than the #2. He can win games, but it&#39;s on guts, not talent.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us