Thread: OT: Web Design Software

Hall Of Fame
    With all this down time and my daughter coming up, I'm looking to create a website for my family.

Can anyone recommend a decent website building program??

Rookie
    If you are a beginner, I would use netobjects. It's quick, easy and works.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by RblJet[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 12:21 PM
    [b] If you are a beginner, I would use netobjects. It's quick, easy and works. [/b][/quote]
    Thanks.

All League
    Charter JI Member

I write my own HTML. If you have Windows XP, you must have Microsoft Frontpage. Since it's already there, why not give it a try?

I'm thinking of trying it, if I see that it can make my pages better.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 01:23 PM
    [b] I write my own HTML. If you have Windows XP, you must have Microsoft Frontpage. Since it's already there, why not give it a try?

I'm thinking of trying it, if I see that it can make my pages better. [/b][/quote]
    frontpage might have been included in your pc by lets say dell but it is part of the MS office suite and not windows XP. If you are looking to create your own page you have 2 options one is to build your own from scratch another is to use a service that will provide you with a template that you just modify. for building your own frontpage is the way to go, for the templates you can try [url]www.1and1.com[/url] they are very very beginner friendly. hope that helps.

All League
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by emslave[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 02:29 PM
    [b] frontpage might have been included in your pc by lets say dell but it is part of the MS office suite and not windows XP. [/b][/quote]
    I stand corrected. Thanks Em.

If you build your site on a free server like Geocities, Guns, they've got web free building tools right on the site.

dreamweaver MX is the easiest WYSIWYG web design tool IMO

[quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 03:36 PM
    [b] dreamweaver MX is the easiest WYSIWYG web design tool IMO [/b][/quote]
    I agree...I love Dreamweaver...I've used Frontpage too, but I've always heard the HTML is 'cleaner' using other editors than Frontpage (must be a Microsoft thing). For your purposes, if you've already got one (if Frontpage came with your pc) I'd say use that.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet+Aug 15 2004, 04:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Brooklyn Jet @ Aug 15 2004, 04:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bitonti[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 03:36 PM
    [b] dreamweaver MX is the easiest WYSIWYG web design tool IMO [/b][/quote]
    I agree...I love Dreamweaver...I&#39;ve used Frontpage too, but I&#39;ve always heard the HTML is &#39;cleaner&#39; using other editors than Frontpage (must be a Microsoft thing). For your purposes, if you&#39;ve already got one (if Frontpage came with your pc) I&#39;d say use that. [/b][/quote]
    frontpage puts a bunch of meta tags and what not into every page, however if u can just clean those up you should be ok on both.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Frontpage is very user friendly. You can build pages and post them to a server or, if need be, build pages then copy/past the HTML.

Hall Of Fame
    My problem now is finding another copy of FrontPage to install.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

i would avoid frontpage - not only does it write bloated code (not such a big deal) but it utilizes &#39;extensions&#39; that must be installed on your server to run (unless your server runs microsoft&#39;s server software, it may not be a default installation). this might not be a problem at first, if you just want basic text & images site, but if you get into it you&#39;ll want more - i would recommend you start with one of the freeware picture & text page creators and see if you think you want to do more - then get dreamweaver - it&#39;s both easy to use and advanced, and it writes good code.