Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mickens Injures Knee..Bollinger out for a week.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw it on the front page ticker. Anyone have any details???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    also stated some good news, Ray promoted to #2 QB

but the Mickens injury could be huge and put immediate pressure on Strait to play nickel if Steady Ray is out for an extended period, but I hope not because we need Ray

lets prey that this is not the beginning of our own string ....I&#39;m not even gonna say those words <_<

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard Mickens knee was OK

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn54[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 05:11 PM
    [b] I heard Mickens knee was OK [/b][/quote]
    where&#39;d you hear that?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was Ray promoted to #2 because Bollinger got hurt, or because he earned it? Since Brooks is hurt, its either Ray or Finlen as #2 until he&#39;s back. Hopefully, either way, Ray will take advantage of the opportunity.

Also saw Simjanvoski was cut (Gowin&#39;s punting job seems safe now&#33;) and they signed RB/KR Keith Burnell out of Delaware, who some of you may remember was on the practice squad last year for a short time.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Aug 15 2004, 05:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ Aug 15 2004, 05:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ErIcBaRtOn54[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 05:11 PM
    [b] I heard Mickens knee was OK [/b][/quote]
    where&#39;d you hear that? [/b][/quote]

in one of the ny papers yesterday or the day before I believe

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]in one of the ny papers yesterday or the day before I believe [/b][/quote]

The injury occured during today&#39;s practice.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    That does go after hassleback... the FO has to relize how easily that could have been C**D. I won`t dare even type it . but we need a quality back up in here NOW&#33;&#33;&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [color=green][b]From NEWYORKJETS.COM:[/b][/color]

[quote][b]Jets Return to Practice Field

Following a well-deserved rest Saturday, the New York Jets were back at work Sunday with a 3:30 practice at their Weeb Ewbank Hall facility. Forty-eight hours after playing in climate-controlled Dome, the Green & White worked in raindrops this afternoon.

“It is really more of getting guys to get their blood flowing again," said head coach Herman Edwards. "We got in late at about 4:00 (AM on Saturday morning) and they were off yesterday, so you want to get them moving. For the most part, they moved pretty good. Now tomorrow we will put the pads back on and go back to work."

[b]On the injury front, Ray Mickens hurt a knee today and will undergo an MRI. The severity of the injury is unknown. [/b] Edwards said rookie cornerback Derrick Strait will take Mickens&#39; spot at the nickel and Omare Lowe will play in dime situations. Free agent cornerback Andrew Davison was in Hempstead for a workout. Backup QB Brooks Bollinger, who left Friday&#39;s preseason opener at New Orleans with a sprained knee, also did not practice. Edwards said that the second-year pro will miss at least one week of action. In Bollinger’s absence, Ricky Ray will work with the second team throughout the week and in Saturday’s exhibition at Indianapolis.

“I think Ricky gained confidence in that game (against New Orleans),” Edwards said. “To me, he had a little aura about himself in practice today, and that’s the way that he needs to play. He’s played in a lot of football games, and he just needs to feel comfortable here.”

In that preseason opener, most of the Jets’ starters played just a series or two. Edwards said that his first teams can expect to see more action against the Colts.

“We anticipate that our starters will play into the second quarter Saturday,” Edwards said. “They really need to work together as a group, and they’ll get some live work this weekend.”

Throughout his career, RB Curtis Martin has played sparingly during the preseason. But entering this season, Martin has been outspoken about his desire to get more touches during the summer season. The 10-year vet rushed three times for 20 yards Friday and was pleased with his work.

“There was some discrepancy on whether or not I would play at all,” Martin said. “We talked about it and I told Coach Edwards that I would love to get some carries, and I didn’t care if it was two or three. And he said, ‘Alright, we’ll do that.’ He already had it in his mind to do that, so when it was over, I thanked him because that’s big for me. Even though this is my tenth year, it is amazing how every year it seems like a new year for me, it&#39;s almost like starting all over again.”

After missing the last week of practice with a hamstring injury, WR Santana Moss returned to the field Sunday. Linebacker Eric Barton (hamstring) also saw his first action in more than a week, but safety Reggie Tongue (calf) did not participate in drills.

Reporters had the opportunity to speak with defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson after he reviewed film of the game with the Saints. Henderson was pleased with the play of first unit and said the reserves took a little longer to find their rhythm.

“The first group ran around,” Henderson said. “They really got after it. The second group was a little tentative, but once I made some calls and let them run around a little bit more, they looked a little bit better out there.”

One player in the spotlight Friday was hybrid end/outside linebacker John Abraham who saw playing time for the first time since last October. Abraham played in seven games last fall and was placed on injured reserve in December after suffering a groin injury. In Henderson’s defense, Abraham will be moved around as the Jets play in 4-3 and 3-4 fronts. The fifth-year player from South Carolina played well in limited action.

“There are so many different techniques he has to play that he hasn’t played in the past,” Henderson said. “Once he learns the techniques and the words, the communication, the verbiage, he’ll be fine.”

The Jets sustained good quarterback pressure at various points in New Orleans. Defensive tackle James “Tank” Reed registered the team’s only sack, but Henderson is not concerned with sack numbers. This defense’s goal is to punish the quarterback.

“I am not interested in sacks,” said the former Ravens defensive backfield coach. “I am really interested in getting to the quarterback and hitting him because that wears him out during the game. Seventy plays, 60 plays – if you are hitting the quarterback, you have a chance. Sacks are individual goals. Hitting the quarterback is a team goal.”

Two other team goals are producing turnovers and stopping the run. The Jets forced two takeaways at the Dome – an interception by starting free safety Jon McGraw and a fumble recovery from reserve rookie corner Roderick “Gameday” Bryant – and also held the Saints to just 98 rushing yards on 31 attempts. The speed in the Jets front seven was noticeable early as rookie linebacker Jonathan Vilma started for Henderson and finished with six combined tackles.

“A player,” Henderson succinctly responded Sunday when asked about Vilma.

Henderson called plays from the press box in New Orleans, but will be on the field Saturday night in Indianapolis for preseason game two versus the explosive Colts.

“I had to go up there for myself because I hadn’t been up there in years,” Henderson said of working in the booth. “I am going to come down this week and see how that is. So, I just have to get a feel of how I want to call the play.”

The Jets will practice twice Monday, beginning with an 8:45 am session in pads.

[/b][/quote]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ThisIsOurYear[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 05:42 PM
    [b] [quote][b]in one of the ny papers yesterday or the day before I believe [/b][/quote]

The injury occured during today&#39;s practice. [/b][/quote]

yeah, I just realized that. I must have confused Mickens with another play. my bad

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was at practice today and saw the Mickens injury. Initially it looked pretty bad - he was in a lot of pain. But...he walked off under his own power without too much of a noticeable limp. Basically, its most likely not a tear of any kind - not a season ending kind of thing. Probably just a sprain. But I&#39;m no doctor so don&#39;t take this as gospel, just what I observed.

Oh, Barton played today and looks perfectly health. Tongue did not suit up, still has his calf wrapped, though he walked around fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by djc[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 06:55 PM
    [b] I was at practice today and saw the Mickens injury. Initially it looked pretty bad - he was in a lot of pain. But...he walked off under his own power without too much of a noticeable limp. Basically, its most likely not a tear of any kind - not a season ending kind of thing. Probably just a sprain. But I&#39;m no doctor so don&#39;t take this as gospel, just what I observed.

Oh, Barton played today and looks perfectly health. Tongue did not suit up, still has his calf wrapped, though he walked around fine. [/b][/quote]
    good tidbits man thanks

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    just like I predicted&#33; we have ours open on the waiver wire..
    quote unquote "we have a couple guys who must understand
    thats not how we play ball around here" jet HC herm Edwards.

BOLLINGER SUKS&#33; I want you playbook :o

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mean Bro Green+Aug 15 2004, 06:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mean Bro Green @ Aug 15 2004, 06:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-djc[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 06:55 PM
    [b] I was at practice today and saw the Mickens injury. Initially it looked pretty bad - he was in a lot of pain. But...he walked off under his own power without too much of a noticeable limp. Basically, its most likely not a tear of any kind - not a season ending kind of thing. Probably just a sprain. But I&#39;m no doctor so don&#39;t take this as gospel, just what I observed.

Oh, Barton played today and looks perfectly health. Tongue did not suit up, still has his calf wrapped, though he walked around fine. [/b][/quote]
    good tidbits man thanks [/b][/quote]
    no problem. other observations:

pats fans will love this one, but chad is throwing the ball differently. he has sooo much confidence now and it is definitely having impact on the velocity of his throws. its very noticable.

mccarreins is gonna be great. he is as fast as santana and is big and strong. and he catches everything thrown to him.

becht made a few nice grabs.

we need a backup qb not on the roster. ricky ray does not have a strong arm AND he does not seem accurate. this is getting worrisome.

jonathan carter is visably bigger this year. if he can remain healthy he should have a nice impact. ditto on cotchery - he made a circus catch today and seems plenty fast.

the defense confused the crap out of me. john abraham was in coverage more often than rushing the qb. dont know how i feel about that.

funny moment - donnie henderson yelling at some ufa because he didnt know how to sign autographs properly. donnie said "sign and move, sign and move, dont just stand there&#33;"

donnie henderson sweats. a lot.

herm might be our best backup qb. he threw the balls on a wr drill and was impressive.

kendall might end up being our best fa signing. they are running plays where both he and mawae pull and its plain scary. kendall looks fast and strong.

matt dominguez should make this team. he got banged up today on another circus catch but walked off okay. he is big and catches everything.

plenty more to say but i&#39;ll shut up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Ricky Ray has looked OK in practice, but he sure didn&#39;t earn any "promotion" from friday night. Can&#39;t see what "confidence" he could gain by throwing 10 feet over everyone&#39;s head. Unfortunately, [b]our backup QB is not yet on the roster[/b].*

*djc beat me to this by 6 minutes. :lol: Seriously though, let&#39;s get Huard or Quinn.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 07:14 PM
    [b] Ricky Ray has looked OK in practice, but he sure didn&#39;t earn any "promotion" from friday night. Can&#39;t see what "confidence" he could gain by throwing 10 feet over everyone&#39;s head. Unfortunately, our backup QB is not yet on the roster. [/b][/quote]
    today is the only practice i made it to, but i thought that his passes lacked much velocity and some floated similar to the way they did on Friday night. That being said, I&#39;m excited to see him get a shot this coming weekend. The guy obviously knows how to win so we need to see him in a game with the starting oline for a few series before passing total judgement.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by djc[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 08:55 PM

Did Rambo or Moss practice?...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by NYJet94+Aug 15 2004, 07:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (NYJet94 @ Aug 15 2004, 07:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-djc[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 08:55 PM

Did Rambo or Moss practice?... [/b][/quote]
    Yes, Moss practiced and looked perfectly healthy. I am pretty sure Rambo practiced too, but I don&#39;t remember any plays involving him.

Santana walked around the field brimming with confidence by the way, he looked great.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    djc...Thanks for the fun and insightful updates. I can only say one thing spill your guts pilgrim (smiles) I want as much Jet info as you are willing to provide. The dry UNTRUTHFUL statements that the official Jet line Must put out is simply not as informative. Peace

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Charlie Brown[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 07:25 PM
    [b] djc...Thanks for the fun and insightful updates. I can only say one thing spill your guts pilgrim (smiles) I want as much Jet info as you are willing to provide. The dry UNTRUTHFUL statements that the official Jet line Must put out is simply not as informative. Peace [/b][/quote]
    hey man, no problem. i&#39;m glad to spout off as long as anyone wants to listen. by the way, to anyone in the nyc area, i highly recommend visiting a practice. this is my second year going and i love it. its especially fun it you&#39;ve played football at any level - brings back some nice memories. its also amazing how planned ou and choreographed everthing is. all the drills are timed, and there is a two minute warning at the end of each drill. when running plays, the score on the board is constantly changing to simulate different situations.

as for more observations:

they seemed to be running more two tight end sets with becht and baker.

i love that all the backup rbs, from jordan on down, all do exactly what cmart does. cmart wears sweatpants when everyone else is wearing shorts and all the backup rbs wear sweatpants. and so on.

vilma is as advertised. he ran the second team defense and was always around the ball. he was barking out orders, is fast as hell, and was always smiling. would love to see him add 10 pounds of muscle, which i&#39;m sure he will over time.

doug brien looked good- consistantly hitting 45 yard fgs with what looked like 5-10 yards to spare.

david barret has the biggest calves i&#39;ve ever seen. its like hes got two softballs implanted in his legs.

man, i hope mcgraw stays healthy. he just looks like a great safety.

drob got skinny. he hardly has a gut anymore. tough to observe him doing anything cause there was no hitting today.

they worked on punt coverage a lot today. i was surprised that they did not work on kickoffs after the debacle on friday. they probably have a seperate practice for sp this week. westoff was walking without his cane for a while, i thought i remember hearing that his ailment was improving.

okay, thats really it. hope you enjoyed at least some of my observations.