Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Lack of Depth

  1. #1
    Is anyone concerned about the lack of depth on the ball club or is this just something the media is blowing out of proportion?

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    charlotte NC
    Posts
    4,639
    scared about back up QB,,,,im hopin we can get GANNON

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Yardley, PA
    Posts
    5,161
    I think we are OK with only a couple of exceptions. I think we have good depth on defense, especially when Barton and Tounge get back, that means Glenn and Coleman go to the bench and they have shown alot. We are loaded at WR, TE and RB. The only problems are QB and the o-line, particularly offensive tackle. Pray nothing happens to Chad, McKenzie and Fabini and we should be fine.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    10,506
    In todays NFL nobody has much depth. I am concerned about a few positions, but not really

  5. #5
    [quote][i]Originally posted by dmaynard[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 07:48 AM
    [b] I think we are OK with only a couple of exceptions. I think we have good depth on defense, especially when Barton and Tounge get back, that means Glenn and Coleman go to the bench and they have shown alot. We are loaded at WR, TE and RB. The only problems are QB and the o-line, particularly offensive tackle. Pray nothing happens to Chad, McKenzie and Fabini and we should be fine. [/b][/quote]
    Backup QB is a definite concern. Bollinger and Ray look like they couldn't pass their way out of Pop Warner. I'm not so concerned any where else though. I think the offensive line has been well fortified with the addition of Kendall. I think the depth at cornerback is sufficient. It's just that the overall talent level is low, but depth isn't a concern at this point. If we can get our hands on a seasoned veteran to serve as backup QB, then my only concern would be the talent level on the field. I am interested to see Ray start getting a lot of reps with Bollinger out for a week. I think Ray can eventually improve his game. I think Bollinger is a bust.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,332
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mainejet+Aug 16 2004, 08:01 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mainejet @ Aug 16 2004, 08:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dmaynard[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 07:48 AM
    [b] I think we are OK with only a couple of exceptions. I think we have good depth on defense, especially when Barton and Tounge get back, that means Glenn and Coleman go to the bench and they have shown alot. We are loaded at WR, TE and RB. The only problems are QB and the o-line, particularly offensive tackle. Pray nothing happens to Chad, McKenzie and Fabini and we should be fine. [/b][/quote]
    Backup QB is a definite concern. Bollinger and Ray look like they couldn&#39;t pass their way out of Pop Warner. I&#39;m not so concerned any where else though. I think the offensive line has been well fortified with the addition of Kendall. I think the depth at cornerback is sufficient. It&#39;s just that the overall talent level is low, but depth isn&#39;t a concern at this point. If we can get our hands on a seasoned veteran to serve as backup QB, then my only concern would be the talent level on the field. I am interested to see Ray start getting a lot of reps with Bollinger out for a week. I think Ray can eventually improve his game. I think Bollinger is a bust. [/b][/quote]
    Totally agree on Ray getting the chance in the 2nd spot. He supposedly hasn&#39;t gotten a lot of work in practice either so this wek should help him greatly. Gannon would be a nice addition but then his ego might not fit here. I saw in an article that they might try to get Buerlien out of retirement, wonder if he has anything left?

  7. #7
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Trades+Aug 16 2004, 08:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Trades @ Aug 16 2004, 08:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Mainejet@Aug 16 2004, 08:01 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-dmaynard[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 07:48 AM
    [b] I think we are OK with only a couple of exceptions. I think we have good depth on defense, especially when Barton and Tounge get back, that means Glenn and Coleman go to the bench and they have shown alot. We are loaded at WR, TE and RB. The only problems are QB and the o-line, particularly offensive tackle. Pray nothing happens to Chad, McKenzie and Fabini and we should be fine. [/b][/quote]
    Backup QB is a definite concern. Bollinger and Ray look like they couldn&#39;t pass their way out of Pop Warner. I&#39;m not so concerned any where else though. I think the offensive line has been well fortified with the addition of Kendall. I think the depth at cornerback is sufficient. It&#39;s just that the overall talent level is low, but depth isn&#39;t a concern at this point. If we can get our hands on a seasoned veteran to serve as backup QB, then my only concern would be the talent level on the field. I am interested to see Ray start getting a lot of reps with Bollinger out for a week. I think Ray can eventually improve his game. I think Bollinger is a bust. [/b][/quote]
    Totally agree on Ray getting the chance in the 2nd spot. He supposedly hasn&#39;t gotten a lot of work in practice either so this wek should help him greatly. Gannon would be a nice addition but then his ego might not fit here. I saw in an article that they might try to get Buerlien out of retirement, wonder if he has anything left? [/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t know but all of those names you are tossing around seem a lot better than Bollinger right now. Although, Namath coming out of retirement seems like a better situation than Bollinger :lol:

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Posts
    2,554
    A situation that should be looked at is the #2 position in Tampa. Griese vs. Simms. If Simms wins the battle, I can&#39;t see Griese accepting a spot as a #3 QB. He could be released, and I think would make a more than adequate backup to Chad.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    charlotte NC
    Posts
    4,639
    [quote][i]Originally posted by scott dierking II[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 08:19 AM
    [b] A situation that should be looked at is the #2 position in Tampa. Griese vs. Simms. If Simms wins the battle, I can&#39;t see Griese accepting a spot as a #3 QB. He could be released, and I think would make a more than adequate backup to Chad. [/b][/quote]
    i hate griese, i hope not

  10. #10
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,473
    We are thin at QB, OL, and CB...it is worrysome, but every team has an achiles heel, hopefully ours doesn&#39;t get exposed.

  11. #11
    I don&#39;t understand the backup QB anxiety. This topic is a waste of time, and blown out of proportion.

    Very few teams have great backup options. If Favre, Peyton Manning, Culpepper, etc... go down, they are in the same shape as the Jets. Was Volek considered better than Bollinger going into last season? I seriously doubt it. What will Shane Matthews or Jamie Martin accomplish that Vinny couldn&#39;t last year? Nothing.

    We need to groom Ray and Bollinger to know the system like the back of their hand, and then hand off the ball to Marting, Jordan, and Reese. End of story. If we had a great backup, we couldn&#39;t afford Kendall, McKenzie, and anyone else signed this year. Whose more important, starters or backups?

    If any top flight starting QB goes down for more than 2 games, that teams season is over. The days of the salary cap have ended the days of depth for 10+ years.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,431
    It concerns me a little...The Patsies won the Super Bowl last year cause they had good depth...so depth is important...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us