Thread: The Ray Lucas Lesson

Parcells and Charlie Weiss demonstrated with Ray Lucas how you play a back up quarterback. You run the ball, your quarterback makes safe throws and you win with defense and special teams. Weiss played to the strengths of Lucas and made him successful, scaling down the offense, let us remember what Charlie has done with a guy named Brady. Hackett is not Weiss, Hackett couldnt tailor this offense to Vinny, and his inflexability could crush Bollinger.

I remember Jaime Martin last year , he was terrible. I think you stick with Bollinger and Ray. I reviewed the tape and he made some throws. I actually think he throws a good deep ball. But you have to put him in a structure where he can succeed, throw the dink and dunk pass, quick passes off of 5 step drops, and of course commit to the run... If Chad goes down, Bollinger can win 50% of the games, if Hackett can coach.....

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetOrange[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 08:39 AM
    [b] if Hackett can coach..... [/b][/quote]
    WE'RE SCREWED!!!!

:lol:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by JetOrange[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 09:39 AM
    [b] Parcells and Charlie Weiss demonstrated with Ray Lucas how you play a back up quarterback. You run the ball, your quarterback makes safe throws and you win with defense and special teams. Weiss played to the strengths of Lucas and made him successful, scaling down the offense, let us remember what Charlie has done with a guy named Brady. Hackett is not Weiss, Hackett couldnt tailor this offense to Vinny, and his inflexability could crush Bollinger.

I remember Jaime Martin last year , he was terrible. I think you stick with Bollinger and Ray. I reviewed the tape and he made some throws. I actually think he throws a good deep ball. But you have to put him in a structure where he can succeed, throw the dink and dunk pass, quick passes off of 5 step drops, and of course commit to the run... If Chad goes down, Bollinger can win 50% of the games, if Hackett can coach..... [/b][/quote]
    This is why Bollinger won't be able to stay here.........Hackett will not change anything to suit anyone's needs............ :(

right, parcells and weiss...not dumb and dumber

After watching the game Friday, I was much more impressed with the limited time Ray saw. I feel Bollinger getting hurt is a blessing, and Ray will be #2 by season start. Having said that, Ray could not save us. If Chad goes down, no brainer here, we are in trouble. However, if Chad goes down for a couple of games or something, Ray should be able to keep us close. Bollinger has disaster written all over him.

bollinger has a stronger arm than ray, but i got the feeling that if ray had decent time he'd make smarter throws. bollinger always seems flustered though he did make some nice throws in the 2nd half. but in real games those fumbles would kill the jets and are unacceptable for a qb in the nfl. you can't fumble every other series.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetOrange[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 08:39 AM
    [b] Parcells and Charlie Weiss demonstrated with Ray Lucas how you play a back up quarterback. You run the ball, your quarterback makes safe throws and you win with defense and special teams. Weiss played to the strengths of Lucas and made him successful, scaling down the offense, let us remember what Charlie has done with a guy named Brady. Hackett is not Weiss, Hackett couldnt tailor this offense to Vinny, and his inflexability could crush Bollinger.

I remember Jaime Martin last year , he was terrible. I think you stick with Bollinger and Ray. I reviewed the tape and he made some throws. I actually think he throws a good deep ball. But you have to put him in a structure where he can succeed, throw the dink and dunk pass, quick passes off of 5 step drops, and of course commit to the run... If Chad goes down, Bollinger can win 50% of the games, if Hackett can coach..... [/b][/quote]
    i don't buy this analogy at all.

first of all, parcell's screwed up royally by not going to lucas earlier, even when everyone could see he was outplaying mirer when he got the chance. and, the real lesson from that year -- don't go into a season without a quality backup qb. parcells should have kept foley around, or gotten someone adequate. parcells was too stubborn or arrogant or something. not having a decent backup qb in 1999 cost us big time...that was a team that could have really gone somewhere.

but all that's besides the point...my main point is, lucas was a totally different case from bollinger. lucas had been with the team for a while, had some game experience, was a team leader and a winner. he was a scrambler and an innovator, and he had been around the NFL game enough to be able to make plays without thinking. to count on bollinger to be able to do any of this is asking way too much. it's wishfull thinking. backup qbs get eaten alive in the nfl every year if they're not ready. lucas was an unusual case.

also, lucas had a powerfull team around him, that he didn't need to carry. the jets this year are not as good as the jets of 99, i'm afraid.

who knows...bollinger could turn out to be that 1 guy out of a thousand who beats the odds and steps up big time even though he's doesn't have the natural gifts or experience. but, to count on this would be stupid, to say the least, in my opinion.

Lucas>Bollinger

Hall Of Fame
    Bollinger sucks. Sorry, he just does. He sucked in college and shouldn't even be on an NFL roster, and definitely is not a bona fide #2. He should be cut. He's worthless. Most NFL scouts knew this on Draft Day, but alas, the Jets didn't.

I'd honestly rather Steve DeBerg come out of retirement than Bollinger play a single snap in the regular season.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetgirl+Aug 16 2004, 09:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jetgirl @ Aug 16 2004, 09:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JetOrange[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 09:39 AM

This is why Bollinger won&#39;t be able to stay here.........Hackett will not change anything to suit anyone&#39;s needs............ :( [/b][/quote]
    I dont think it&#39;s possible to change the West Coast Offense. It is a very complex system.