Jets: PLAYER PROFILE
Monday, August 16, 2004
LT ADRIAN JONES

Just more than a year ago, Adrian Jones was an obscure tight end at the University of Kansas. In April, the Jets drafted him in the fourth round as a left tackle after just one season at the position.

Advertisement

"I didn't think I did that well only playing one year," Jones said. "But I guess I caught some coaches' eyes. I was happy about that."

Jones, at 6-4, 296 pounds, was switched from tight end to left tackle during spring practice heading into his senior season. The Jets are so high on him that instead of moving former starting G Brent Smith back to left tackle when the club signed Pete Kendall last week, they left him at guard and kept Jones at the all-important left tackle spot behind starter Jason Fabini.

In training camp, Jones -- who has quick feet and mobility -- is holding his own. In Friday's preseason game against the Saints, however, he gave up a sack.

"Right now, I'm still adjusting to everything, getting adjusted to the speed of the game," Jones said. "It (moving to tackle) was pretty much the same thing in our scheme. We did a lot of double-teaming with the tight end, so it was just moving down a spot. It was less of an adjustment then if I had moved inside (to guard)."

That Jones is playing football at all is a blessing. In 1999, he suffered a serious head injury in a Thanksgiving weekend accident when his car blew a tire and flipped and rolled. He spent three days in intensive care.

"Still, to this day, I don't remember anything about the accident," Jones said. "I remember leaving the hospital a little bit. Other than that, I don't really remember too much what happened the day of the accident, the accident itself and a couple of days after.

"I'm very blessed. A year after my accident (former Kansas City Chiefs linebacker) Derrick Thomas went through the same thing, and he died. So I was real blessed. God was watching over me that day."

WHO'S HOT

WRs Wayne Chrebet, Justin McCareins, Jerricho Cotchery and Matt Dominguez, along with TE Anthony Becht, all made nice grabs during a light practice yesterday. Dominguez later injured his shoulder diving for a ball. ... LB Eric Barton (hamstring) returned to practice after missing nine days. ... CB Omare Lowe had an interception vs. Pennington. ... LB Mark Brown had a pass defense.

WHO'S NOT

FS Derek Pagel dropped an interception. ... SS Reggie Tongue (calf) remains out. ... QB Brooks Bollinger (knee) is out a week.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Uh ... Uh ... Uh ... I don't know. Of course, Brooks (Bollinger), we have to see him. He hasn't been in there. So it's always going to be a question. But we believe he can get the job done. We've got to trust the coaches with that." -- RB Curtis Martin stumbling through the answer when asked if he is concerned about the team's backup quarterback situation.

Translation: Yes, he is.

DEPTH CHART

The kicking game appears to be solid with K Doug Brien and P Toby Gowin. Brien hit 27 of 32 FG attempts and all 24 PATs last season but is most remembered for the fiasco vs. the Giants, when his hurried FG attempt was blocked. Gowin, kicking with a tore right quad, ranked 28th in gross average (39 yards) last season. He's healthy now and is kicking well.

INJURY REPORT

CB Ray Mickens (knee) and WR Matt Dominguez (shoulder) were injured during practice and did not return. QB Brooks Bollinger (knee), WRs Santana Moss (hamstring) and Lawrence Hamilton (hamstring), RBs Derrick Ward (ankle) and Josh Davis (knee), FS Reggie Tongue (calf), DE Kevin Fales (knee) and C Curt McGill (knee) remain out.

TODAY'S BUZZ

The backup quarterback situation is turning into a soap opera as second-year pro Brooks Bollinger appears to be trying his hardest to give the job away. After struggling early in camp and in the first half vs. the Saints, he made some plays in the second half against the Saints but then injured his right knee and is out at least a week. CFL import Ricky Ray moves up to No. 2, but the Jets are scanning the globe for a veteran. Even so, they may settle on Bollinger by default. If not, they'll likely find their guy late in camp on the waiver wire.

Come back, Vinny.

FACT OF THE DAY

Coach Herman Edwards was the emergency QB during his playing days with the Eagles and actually ran two plays: a handoff and a deep ball to WR Harold Carmichael, which he says he completed.

PRACTICE SCHEDULE

8:45 a.m.-10:15 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m.