Thread: Kickoff coverage

So much for blowing people up on the coverage units.

What the hell happened with our kickoff coverage Saturday? freakin' horrible.

I thought with the bad year we had last year, Westhoffs intensity, and all these young, fast studs that we'd be a much stronger unit then the one on display Saturday night.

Hopefully the unit was full of bubble players that were being given a fair shot to make something happen.....if that was the case, they failed with flying colors.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :blink: :blink:

It was like one pre season game!!!

did we like give up 3 touchdown returns????

It was the first pre season game

The first real game situation for a team with quite a few players and this is the reaction??? Sheeet

I have confidence in westy and what he'll do with this squad.....I kinda saw the Jets getting some really good run backs against the Saints also......that tends to happen during the first pre season game. ;)

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfreak[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 01:39 PM
    [b] :blink: :blink:

It was like one pre season game!!!

did we like give up 3 touchdown returns????

It was the first pre season game

The first real game situation for a team with quite a few players and this is the reaction??? Sheeet

I have confidence in westy and what he'll do with this squad.....I kinda saw the Jets getting some really good run backs against the Saints also......that tends to happen during the first pre season game. ;) [/b][/quote]
    Did they look good? No.

Why are you so "shocked" every time somebody posts that so and so looked bad or they were disappointed in this or that.

Did I call for somebody's head? Of course not.....but the fact of the matter is that we have arguably the best ST coach in the league coming off one of his worst years ever. I thought there would be more of a disciplined squad on the field.

I just knew you were going to be the first reply, freaky. You and your half-full glass can go take a hike....my threads are for pessimists only, pal. ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quincy Stewart committed the cardinal sin and left his lane too early. Not a good move for a bubble hanger.

You and I have disagreed previously about the job Herm has done since being in New York. That's fine. Already been talked about. But would you agree that Westhoff is one of the best ST coaches in the league? If you do, then like me you shouldn't worry about the Jets ST. Westhoff will get it corrected. He had a bad year in my opinion last year. He doesn't let that happen two years in a row. If you don't agree, once again I think you are passing judgment without giving the guy a break. When a break is well deserved. Even Parcells doesn't win every year.

I'm with Shade Tree...that first return was shocking...I'll say it again You practice how you play!!!! Also...Im very concerned with our cb's..i hope staright is a player or we are in big trouble!!! Barret and abraham...ewwwww!!!

[quote][i]Originally posted by JumbalayaJet[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 01:51 PM
    [b] Quincy Stewart committed the cardinal sin and left his lane too early. Not a good move for a bubble hanger. [/b][/quote]
    See..there you have it....guy on the bubble s**t the bed. End of story.

I'm not overly concerned about the ST's.....I just thought the coverage unit's poor performance Saturday night was worth a mention, that's all.

That's a crying shame for Q.Stewart, too....if he gets cut. He's the guy that saved the game against Houston last year.

First preseason game, let's at least hold of judgement til this Saturday...if thinga are still looking the same after Saturday, then we welocme the ppessimistic outlook, til then...simmer down a bit

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: I hear what Shades saying...all I'm saying is that this was the first game experience with this squad......no need to panic.....westoff is not one of the best in the business....it was the very first pre season game.....if our kick coverage look like crap after the 3rd pre season then I'd be scratching my head.....I can't pass judgement after one pre season game when there were so many players going in and out.....many of those guys on friday won't even be on the squad by opening day.

I'm just not worried after one scrimmage.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by djr44[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 01:52 PM
    [b] I'm with Shade Tree...that first return was shocking...I'll say it again You practice how you play!!!! Also...Im very concerned with our cb's..i hope staright is a player or we are in big trouble!!! Barret and abraham...ewwwww!!! [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, DB's are shaky--even in practice it seems. But ST's are a bit of a concern. Unlike some, I don't give Westy a free pass on this one. Kickoff coverage, unlike offense, Defense, or Kick-return, does not require an incredible system of scheming. It's about keeping discipline, staying in lanes, and remaining on your feet. Granted the Saints have an excellent return man, but our lanes broke down on EVERY coverage. It should've been corrected after the first kickoff.

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: westoff is not one of the best in the buisness for nothing....in 2003 we just did not have the athletes for special teams and now we do.......I don't expect them to be phenomenal after the first pre season game.