Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: I'm getting my arse kicked online

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    3 problems I'm having online. Maybe some of you can help a brother out.

1-These top guys online are putting on these zone defense that have every guys covered and no matter where I throw it they are picking me off. How can I defeat a zone, hook or curl patterns?

2. Some guys are using this 4-6 blitz where eveyone is on the line and all my recievers are getting jamed at the line of scrimmage so I cant throw to them, then on top of that, I only have 3 seconds to throw the ball since they are blitzing the hell out of me. It takes 3 seconds for my recievers to get by the corners, so how i'm either getting sacked or throwing the ball and hitting my recievers back while they are still struggling with the corners....this is fustrating.

3. This one guy used the Texans playbook and used the Giants and just picked apart my defense. He passed 50 times and ran it zero times. I knew he was passing the whole game, and I must have picked 50 different defenses, and he found a weakness for every one I picked. Its a very helpless feeling and pissed me off beyond belief. Do any of you have a good defense for a gun slinger????

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been having the same problem and was getting ready to asked your sage advice lol. My o-line is constantly getting manhandled and my running backs gobbled up. Chad was sacked something like 12 times one game. I was on a 7 game win streak now I've been shut out so much lately it's disgusting. I'm starting to get burned by the long ball and these little swing passes that seem to always be open :<!--emo&Angry:--><!--endemo-->
    Also this one guy was using what appeared to be a dime doublewide and he would bring the coverage up and take control of one of the guys that was supposed to be doubling my wideout and blitz with him, he would get to the qb so fast no matter what I tried to do.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vin try runnin post corners to the outside against the zone. This will usually leave the slot wr open or in single coverage with the safety. Also if you want next time we play we can do an unranked game and increase the quarter length and ill run these defensive schemes against you and you can try to figure it out against my D and Ill do the same against yours.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alright bro, you want to play today? I'll be on in a little while.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Vinny025@Aug 21 2004, 04:52 PM
    3 problems I'm having online. Maybe some of you can help a brother out.

1-These top guys online are putting on these zone defense that have every guys covered and no matter where I throw it they are picking me off. How can I defeat a zone, hook or curl patterns?

2. Some guys are using this 4-6 blitz where eveyone is on the line and all my recievers are getting jamed at the line of scrimmage so I cant throw to them, then on top of that, I only have 3 seconds to throw the ball since they are blitzing the hell out of me. It takes 3 seconds for my recievers to get by the corners, so how i'm either getting sacked or throwing the ball and hitting my recievers back while they are still struggling with the corners....this is fustrating.

3. This one guy used the Texans playbook and used the Giants and just picked apart my defense. He passed 50 times and ran it zero times. I knew he was passing the whole game, and I must have picked 50 different defenses, and he found a weakness for every one I picked. Its a very helpless feeling and pissed me off beyond belief. Do any of you have a good defense for a gun slinger????
    Well I have to admit I havent been playing nearly as much madden as I would like to, and I'm not sure how useful my gameplan will be.

1. Zone Defense - I do the same thing to my friend offline. I run cover 3, send both DEs into flat zones, and drop 1 DT into short zone. This pretty much makes passing short a pain, and has enough guys deep to make deep passing result in 2-3 guys closing on the WR as the ball goes downfield. The best I can say is try not to get into a position that you have to face this on 3rd and long. Compared to previous maddens, 3rd/4th and long is a *****.

The key to preventing this is making sure you have managable 3rd and 3's and 3rd and 4's at most, where running is still a credible threat.

2. Heavy Blitzes/Stacked Lines - I face this a lot against my friends off line (and I do it a lot as well). The best thing against this is something like the curl flats or the option plays (usually found out of singleback). This play (at least in the Pats playbook) sends the TE and slot WR to the flats, while the 1 and 2 WRs run 8 yard curls. Usually the guys running to the flats (ESPECIALLY the TE) won't get jammed. If you have a decent speed TE (Graham, McMichaels, Heap, etc) you can get some decent seperation and manage to turn it into a 3-4 yard gain. The key here isn't to gain a LOT of yardage, but mainly to prove you're capable of beating the blitz for a gain. If you continue to evade the pressure, you'll manage to convince the guy to try more standard defenses.

All in all, the best bet I've found is if you aren't a deadly accurate passer, you MUST have a balanced attack. Force them to respect the run. I've found that running up the middle behind a FB is much more effective than in the past. Use this, force them to respect the run, then make use of short patterns if they bring guys up against the run. Only take the occasional shot down field when they aren't expecting it. Also certain play action plays are pretty sick.

3. Gunslinger Defense - Excessive zones. Rush no one. Then occasionally rush EVERYONE. Use say a 85%-15% split between dropping everyone and dropping no one. If he uses a lot of spread offense, try quarters QB spy, drop the DEs into flat zones to cover the short curls a bit better, drop the DT into a straight drop, and control the spy LB. This is pretty muchthe only man defense I run against 5 wide offense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you use the balanced playbook? Cover 2 sucks.

What offensive playbook do you use??

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I just played my first game online and had to quit after 5 interceptions on my first 10 throws.

He was also running all over me with Charlie Garner. He was getting to the outside quicker then my guys could react. And spinning out of my tackles.

He couldn't pass off of me, I kept knocking his passes down with my DBs but didn't get any INTs.

I would swear I just got sharked. But you can't even tell because there is no screen which shows the number of controlers a person is using.

As for playing against the CPU - I'm finding the corner patterns and quick patterns to the flats seem to work really really well.

The CPU also has problems with the full zone defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    #1 rule of football is run the damn ball

#2 don't make mistakes

if you can do that you are halfway there.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    dam, I just beat a guy with the rank of 81. HE only scored 6 on me, and I used the JETS!!!!!!!!!y eah baby!!!!!!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im not sure if its because i havent played enough yet but im gettin destroyed online. These blitzes that these guys bring are insane. I snap the ball and before i drop back 2 steps im done. But when I run these same plays at them there oline somehow blocks all 8 blitzers. All of my money plays from last year are no longer money and i cant figure out wat the hell to do. Also on D there are some plays that are just impossible for me to stop because i keep playing against AtL its a deep drag with crumpler and if i go man to man he always catches it unless i get pressure against vick which is rare. and if i run a zone vick scrambles causing my d to pull up a bit and then he beats me deep. I dont know if i should do more of the playmaker wit guys to contain vick but whenever i do that these guys have 10 minutes to find an open man. I NEED HELP.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Penning10, its the quater under smoke play and they move their DE in to engage the left guard and tackle which frees up 2 guys at the QB.

If so, I know how to beat it. You must keep in blockers. Keep a TE in to block on the left side and take a wr and snap the ball when he is going across the line, and that will take care of it. But if you run back in the pocket, you will be dead meat. You need to step up in the pocket and let the blockers engage the blitzers, then step back to extend the pocket, thus giving your recievers alot of time to get open down field.

I was victim to this many times, but I found out how to beat those blitzes. Hope this helps.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vin thanks but hes also doing one out of 3-4 where he playmakers with his safety and switches his lbs 2 the right and brings his SS up. I tried making the Te block but whatever I did there would be no time to snap the ball.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is he just running the standard Engage Eight? (this play exists in every playbook, as far as I know)

If so, it is a *****, but your best shot is plays to the TE. He should get past the blitzers pretty quickly. Just snap, take one step, and lob it to the TE gently over the rushing LBs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vinny not sure if Jareds advice helped you with the gunslinger but im wondering if you have faced another guy like that. Beacause if you did how did you solve that style of offense. I played a guy yesterday like that and there was absolutely nothing i could do to stop him. He used the Dolphins and AJ Feeley played like Joe Montana.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday I had a problem with a guy running shotgun tight 4 wides with one back.

He had the back run a quick pattern to the flats...I tryed assigning my DE's to the flats but they were not fast enough to get out there in time.

If I played my corners up in the flats he had a second WR on the same side running a deep corner and he'd hit him on the corner pattern in front of the safety coming over trying to cover.

He also had the second WR on the same side run an IN pattern across the field. If I ran man to man the guy covering him would get picked off as they went across the field by his WR on the other side running a shorter crossing pattern.

He used Brooks to drop back and roll out to give him enough time to pick the right pattern to throw to.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indiana this guy I played used the same play. When I went with cover 2 the deep corner usually worked. And man to man his guys would always get open.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you use cover 2, you will get roasted with the corner plays.

The best way to beat a gun slinger is to play zone and blitz him so he has no time to get his recievers open. Or, if you have some good corners, jam them at the line and blitz him, and hope the recievers dont get off the line. Check your strenght of your corners vs the strength of the recievers you are jamming to get an estimate of how well this might work, and maybe even adjust assignments to your advantage.

He was using Shotgun Tight 4WR FL Under. That play is money, and I use it alot now that I've tried it, its one beauty of a play....buuuuttt it can be stopped.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vin thanks and yes thats the play... What playbook is it in?