Thread: Rate my team

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this might have been the best job I've ever done in a fantasy football draft.

I had the 12th pick in a 12 team league. The rosters have set slots so we needed to pick 2 QBs, 3 RBs, Combination of 4 WR's or TE's with a max of 2 TE, 2 Kickers and 2 Defenses. We play 1 QB 2 RBs a combo of 3WRs/TEs, 1 K and 1 D.

My draft in order was

1. Harrison
    2. Holt
    3. Henry
    4. Pennington
    5. Baltimore
    6. Vanderjet
    7. K. Jones
    8. C. Garner
    9. D. STallworth
    10. Marcus Robinson
    11. D. Akers
    12. K. Warner
    13. Cincy's Def

By the time pick #12 came around the usual cast of RBs were gone as well as Manning, Culpepper and R. Moss.

By the time we got to my 5th round choice the majority of the teams had already selected 3 RBs and everyone but me had 2 RBs. I knew there were some decent choices left so I opted to get a top notch D and K. (We get 4 points for 40-49 yard FGs and 5 points for 50+)

I'll start Penny, Henry, Jones/Garner, Holt, Harrison, Stallworth/Robinson, Vanderjack, and Baltimore.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the team is decent. I don't think I would have taken Harrison at number 12 though. There are still too many good backs on the board and last year Harrison, in most leagues, was at best number 20 overall. I'm assuming either Taylor or James had to be available and there is still Davis, Johnson, and Faulk(though you have to take Steven Jackson with him). Theres also the riskier Barlow as well.

What I don't like about your team is the RB situation: Henry may not play as much(though in the 3rd thats a great pick), Jones is still a big if, and Garner wont play in the red zone. If you could have snagged one of those early RBs and had either Garner or Jones as your third I'd like the team alot better. Having a Taylor or James and a Keyshawn Johnson over a Marvin Harrison will net you more points. Pennington is a solid pick if the Jets ever get in the end zone and Baltimore is the top d in the league. Holt is a great choice at number 13. Vandy may be the top kicker. I would have gone with a rookie wideout over the combo of Stallworth and Robinson. More upside with the young guys than those two, IMO. Warner and Cincy are worthless. I would drop the Cincy D and see if you can pick up either a rookie wideout(maybe Evans or Jenkins are still available), Chester Taylor(he will see 2-3 games in Jamal Lewis' abscence), or a risky guy like Jason Witten at TE who may see some scoring opportunities thrown at him.

I do think the team is a top 5 team, but probably won't get through the playoffs unless Baltimore has a crazy game to carry the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good team for a 12 man league. You need to hope that Willis McGahee gets hit by a car or something.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you took Holt & Vanderjet way to high, but made up for it w/ K. Jones & Garner who are steals in the 7th&8th rds.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Already gone at pick #12 were Cullpepper, Moss, Manning, Edge, HOlmes, LT, Alexander, Portis, Green, J. Lewis, D. McCallister.

My best options for backs were Taylor, Barlow, Faulk and Davis....none of those guys I liked more then taking 2 of the top 3 WR's and solidying that roster spot. I don't like Taylor at all. He's way too injury prone to grab as the 12 or 13th guy off of the board.

I was drafting with a bunch of Colts fans so I was hoping one of them would take Harrision and either, Moss, Cullpepper, or even J. Lewis would drop to 12 but it didn't happen.

I figured Henry would still be around in the 3rd round and I knew I could get a good upside guy, like Jones even later. I like Henry a lot...he's taking a lot of bad press this offseason all because of being dinged up last year, but when he's good I think he's still a top 10 back. I expect McGahee to play a Jordan like role this year getting 8 - 10 carries barring injury. The Bills are close to being a good team and they're not gonna give the ball to an unkown commodity unless Henry really falters.

Knowing my backs were weak and I was going to lose that match up on most weeks I had to gain my points back elsewhere. Which is why I grabbed the best D and the best K early. With two of the best 3 WRs and that Def and K I figure I can outscore my opponents in 4 slots...hopefully that will be enough to make up the difference in the RB department.

As for Cincy's D and K. Warner. We were forced to draft 2 Def's. Cincy plays Cleveland on Balt. bye week and I see that as a favorable matchup they usually play each other very tight. Same thing with Warner, the G-man play Cleveland in Week 3, Penny's bye week, and of the QB's left that was the best matchup.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by kevin45@Sep 3 2004, 09:20 AM
    I think you took Holt & Vanderjet way to high, but made up for it w/ K. Jones & Garner who are steals in the 7th&8th rds.
    kickers are important, good grab at 6