Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Still early

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url=http://www.time.com/time/press_releases/article/0,8599,692562,00.html]Click me![/url]

Campaign 2004: Bush Opens Double-Digit Lead
    TIME Poll: Among likely voters, 52% would vote for President George Bush, while 41% would vote for John Kerry and 3% would vote for Ralph Nader

Friday, Sep. 03, 2004
    New York: For the first time since the Presidential race became a two person contest last spring, there is a clear leader, the latest TIME poll shows. If the 2004 election for President were held today, 52% of likely voters surveyed would vote for President George W. Bush, 41% would vote for Democratic nominee John Kerry, and 3% would vote for Ralph Nader, according to a new TIME poll conducted from Aug. 31 to Sept. 2. Poll results are available on TIME.com and will appear in the upcoming issue of TIME magazine, on newsstands Monday, Sept. 6.

Most important issues: When asked what they consider are the most important issues, 25% of registered voters cited the economy as the top issue, followed by 24% who cited the war on terrorism as the top issue. The situation in Iraq was rated the top issue by 17% of registered voters, moral values issues such as gay marriage and abortion were the top issue for 16% of respondents, and health care was the most important issue for 11% of respondents.

Bush vs. Kerry:
    The economy: 47% trust President Bush more to handle the economy, while 45% trust Kerry.
    Health care: 48% trust Senator Kerry to handle health care issues, while 42% trust Bush.
    Iraq: 53% trust Bush to handle the situation in Iraq, while 41% trust Kerry.
    Terrorism: 57% trust Bush to handle the war on terrorism, while 36% trust Kerry.
    Understanding the needs of people: 47% said they trust Kerry to understand the needs of people like themselves, while 44% trusted Bush to understand their needs.
    Providing strong leadership: 56% said they trust Bush to provide strong leadership in difficult times, while 37% said they trust Kerry to provide leadership in difficult times.
    Tax policy: 49% trust Bush to handle tax policy, while 40% trust Kerry.
    Commanding the Armed Forces: 54% said they trust Bush to be commander-in-chief of the armed forces, while 39% said they trust Kerry.

Bush on the Issues:
    Iraq: Half (50%) of those surveyed approve of the way President Bush is handling the situation in Iraq, while 46% disapprove. In last week’s TIME poll, 48% approved of the way Bush was handling the situation in Iraq and 48% disapproved.
    Terrorism: Almost two thirds (59%) said they approve of how President Bush is handling the war on terrorism, while 38% disapprove. Last week’s TIME poll found 55% approved of Bush’s handling of the war on terrorism, while 40% disapproved.
    The Economy: Survey respondents were split on the President’s handling of the economy. Almost half (48%) said the approved of Bush’s handling of the economy, while 48% said the disapproved.

Other results include:
    Was U.S. Right Going to War with Iraq? Over half of those surveyed (52%) think the U.S. was right in going to war with Iraq, while 41% think the U.S. was wrong to go to war.

Have the United States’ actions in Iraq made the world safer? Almost half (45%) think the United States’ actions in Iraq have made the world safer, while 45% think the world is more dangerous. In a similar TIME poll taken Aug. 3 – 5, over half (52%) said the world was more dangerous, and 38% said the world was safer.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty huge being it is a Time poll and takes into account "likely" voters. The only other time someone has gone over 51% from a credible independent poll was the begininning of August when CNN had the President up 51-47. Factor in the largest lead in the polls kerri has had from a major independent was 11% back on 7/6/04 and that was registered voters.

Hats off to either Weeb or Pope or shakin who predicted last week the President would come out of the convention with a double digit lead.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Zell Miller's speech was going to backfire? :rolleyes:

Watch the desperation from the left in the next few weeks, should be quite comical.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know, dudes.

Remember, John Kerry became the Democratic party Presidential nominee mainly because Howard Dean lost his mind and dems realized Kerry 'looked' Presidential.

Well,...he still kind of looks that way!

[url]www.votenader.org[/url] NOW

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by AlbanyJet[/i]@Sep 3 2004, 05:06 PM
    [b] I don't know, dudes.

Remember, John Kerry became the Democratic party Presidential nominee mainly because Howard Dean lost his mind and dems realized Kerry 'looked' Presidential.

[url]www.votenader.org[/url] NOW [/b][/quote]
    I think they thought he (kerri) was the only one who had a true shot of beating GWB. Looks mean squat especially as kerri's flip=flops are brought to the forefront but I would agree with your sentiment...it's not over yet.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by AlbanyJet[/i]@Sep 3 2004, 05:06 PM
    [b] I don't know, dudes.

[sarcasm] :)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by AlbanyJet+Sep 4 2004, 02:38 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (AlbanyJet @ Sep 4 2004, 02:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-AlbanyJet[/i]@Sep 3 2004, 05:06 PM
    [b] I don&#39;t know, dudes.

Remember, John Kerry became the Democratic party Presidential nominee mainly because Howard Dean lost his mind and dems realized Kerry &#39;looked&#39; Presidential.

Well,...he still kind of looks that way&#33;

[sarcasm] :) [/b][/quote]
    I see says the blind man&#33;

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Newsweek magazine poll today has the exact same poll numbers as TIME did.

Bush - 52%

Kerry - 41%

Nader - 3%

This is a poll of not registered voters but [b]LIKELY[/b] voters.

Just heard this on MSNBC.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kerry got no bounce after the dem&#39;s convention, and Bush got a double digit bounce&#33; :lol:

Looks like all the "undecided&#39;s" are making up their minds&#33;

[img]http://www.stlawu.edu/global/collins.jpg[/img]
    [b]USEFUL IDIOT[/b]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    CNN Poll says Bush gets a modest 2% jump. The TIME and Newsweek polls also included Ralph Nader. I don&#39;t know why CNN doesn&#39;t.

But if you&#39;re a Kerry supporter read the last paragraph I copied from their site;

[b]"Finally, there was one new wrinkle. Despite the perception among some observers that this is an election driven by issues, more of those interviewed said that the leadership qualities and personal characteristics of the two candidates were more important than their stands on the issues." [/b]

Bush OWNS Kerry when it comes to leadership qualities and personal characteristcs.

Kerry is DEAD&#33;

[url]www.votenader.org[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What was Bush&#39;s lead over Gore going into 2000 election? Not being sarcastic, just curious?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This election is going to be very, very close. This bounce will not last, the numbers will likely be within 2 points of each other by the time the election comes....