Thread: Looking for reading suggestions

Veteran
    All

I am looking for some suggestions for sumplemental reading to do right now. I'd kind of sick of history right now and all the books that I have recentl purchased but haven't read (Alexander Hamilton, a few books on Irish history) are just that. I'd like to read some Friedman (always wanted to read Price Theory but that is a little to intense to fall under "light reading") or the like, but want to stay away from textbook type books. Im a little burned out from studying for the CFA in december. Any suggestions?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Too bad you are sick of history...I'd send you "One Day in September" about the Munich massacre during the '72 Olympics....an absolute page turner (if you have an interest in the subject).

All League
    I just finished reading "Life on the Outside"
    [url=http://www.lifeontheoutside.com/]http://www.lifeontheoutside.com/[/url]

Its not economics but I found it very interesting. Its a story about a woman coerced by an informant to deliver drugs to Albany. She is then sentanced to 20yr to life for a 1st time offense. The book hits hard against the Rockafeller drug laws and may make the reader reconsider their notions of the criminal justice system, namely the war on drugs.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Try Bagpipe Brothers (seriously). It is about how the FDNY dealt with the aftermath of 9/11 and performed at 445 funerals/services between 9/15/01 and August 2002. Heart wrenching but compelling.

Hall Of Fame
    LG&M

Read, "Basic Economics" by Thomas Sowell. There is not a single chart or graph or equation in the entire book. Then, I'd read his follow-up, "Applied Economics."

If you are into trading stocks, "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator," is a good one. It's the life story of a trader from the depression era who made and lost a fortune several times over. Even though it was written over 50 years ago all of the trading principles discussed are relevant today.

All Pro
    Some i've read recently that were pretty good are:

[u]Globalization and its Discontents[/u] by Joesph Stiglitz. Pretty good insight into the IMF and World Bank, their policiies and the effects (in the author's opinion) these policies have had in the world, from the Russian crisis of 98, to the later Asain crisis, up to the present. Pretty interesting.

Although it's a few years old now (2000), Thomas Friedman wrote a really good book on globalization a few years back called [u]The Lexus and the Olive Tree[/u]. Very good read, more philosophical than technical, don't need an economics degree to get through it.

If you're into math at all, I really enjoyed [u]The Music of the Primes : Searching to Solve the Greatest Mystery in Mathematics[/u] by Marcus du Sautoy. Really cool stuff, if you're a math dork like myself.

That's just a few, I'll let you know if I think of any others...

Veteran
    Thanks all,

Piper- I may check that out after the take the the test tin December. You reminded me of a book about 9/11 I wanted to read after hearing the author/firefighter on Imus a bout a year ago. I believe it was named Last Man out or something like that.

5- Went staight for the applied, bought that with Capitalism and Freedom on amazon this afternoon. Ill let you know how I like it

Kevin- I read that a few years ago and it was a great read.

Big Al - Definately want to check out The Music of the Primes : Searching to Solve the Greatest Mystery in Mathematics. I was a Math and Econ major in college and that sounds like its right up my alley.

CBNY and Sections- thanks but neither sounds too interesting to me.