Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone watch 60 minutes last night?

All League
    They have some new damaging documents they dug up on W.

I have to admit though, the guy from that new 527 discrediting Bush's guard service is very unconvincing. Not that I don't believe him, just that he is not a good speaker on camera.

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6693-2004Sep8.html]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...3-2004Sep8.html[/url]

The liberals just don't understand. Bush is not running a campaign based on his National Guard service. He has allready signed off on the release of all documents related to his service. This is a non story. No one cares.

Their best shot is to go after Bush on the Iraq issue. Unfortunately for the libbs when Kerry said that knowing what he knows now he still would have authorized the war he blew that issue as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

No...were the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth on?? How about the Vietnam Veterans against Kerri???

That's right, Viacom has no interest in other points of view...the best thing about it is this will all have a negative effect for kerri as people can see through this. The O'neil book, clarke book, fat asses movie...and the President still has a double digit lead in the polls.

I used to watch 60 min religiously but I've given up on them. I'll start watching again when they give the same time to the Swift Boat guys that they have given to Richard Clarke, Michael Moore, Bob Woodward the now this guy.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by kevin45[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 09:00 AM
    [b] I used to watch 60 min religiously but I've given up on them. I'll start watching again when they give the same time to the Swift Boat guys that they have given to Richard Clarke, Michael Moore, Bob Woodward the now this guy. [/b][/quote]
    Amen, A-freaking-men!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Sep 9 2004, 09:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Sep 9 2004, 09:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kevin45[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 09:00 AM
    [b] I used to watch 60 min religiously but I&#39;ve given up on them. I&#39;ll start watching again when they give the same time to the Swift Boat guys that they have given to Richard Clarke, Michael Moore, Bob Woodward the now this guy. [/b][/quote]
    Amen, A-freaking-men&#33; [/b][/quote]
    The other thing that must be asked is the MSM, led by 60-Minutes, has done backflips to get the President&#39;s military records, going as far as suing to get a copy....when will they do the same or will they do the same to acquire kerri&#39;s records??

flushingjet
    :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif' />
    Please, this guy has already been discredited in the last campaign. Barnes claimed that he helped Bush get into the National Guard when he was Lt. Governor... but by the time Barnes was Lt. Governor, 2nd Lieutenant Bush was already training&#33;

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

If true it will be interesting to see where this goes:

[b]COL. KILLIAN FORGED THE “ORDERS” TO BUSH TO CONDUCT AN ANNUAL EXAM.[/b]

The 32-year-old documents produced Wednesday by the CBS News program "60 Minutes," shedding a negative light on President Bush&#39;s service in the Texas Air National Guard, may have been forged using a current word processing program, according to typography experts.

Looking at the “MEMORANDUM FOR 1st Lt. George W. Bush…” dated 5/4/72 it’s obvious even to the most casual observer. It was “created on a word processor with proportional spacing and the th in the 111th is a SUPERSCRIPT.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 02:18 PM
    [b] If true it will be interesting to see where this goes:

The 32-year-old documents produced Wednesday by the CBS News program "60 Minutes," shedding a negative light on President Bush&#39;s service in the Texas Air National Guard, may have been forged using a current word processing program, according to typography experts.

Looking at the “MEMORANDUM FOR 1st Lt. George W. Bush…” dated 5/4/72 it’s obvious even to the most casual observer. It was “created on a word processor with proportional spacing and the th in the 111th is a SUPERSCRIPT. [/b][/quote]
    CBTNY, you must spend a lot of time on FreeRepublic.com

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long+Sep 9 2004, 02:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (4th&Long @ Sep 9 2004, 02:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 02:18 PM
    [b] If true it will be interesting to see where this goes:

Looking at the “MEMORANDUM FOR 1st Lt. George W. Bush…” dated 5/4/72 it’s obvious even to the most casual observer. It was “created on a word processor with proportional spacing and the th in the 111th is a SUPERSCRIPT. [/b][/quote]
    CBTNY, you must spend a lot of time on FreeRepublic.com [/b][/quote]
    as you obviously do.....

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 02:23 PM
    [b] [/QUOTE]
    as you obviously do..... [/b][/quote]
    i didnt know that came from there, but it sounds like something that would be posted.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 02:27 PM
    [b] [QUOTE=Come Back to NY,Sep 9 2004, 02:23 PM] [/QUOTE]
    as you obviously do..... [/QUOTE]
    i didnt know that came from there, but it sounds like something that would be posted. [/b][/quote]
    It didn&#39;t come from FR.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 02:28 PM
    [b] [QUOTE=4th&Long,Sep 9 2004, 02:27 PM] [QUOTE=Come Back to NY,Sep 9 2004, 02:23 PM] [/QUOTE]
    as you obviously do..... [/QUOTE]
    i didnt know that came from there, but it sounds like something that would be posted. [/QUOTE]
    It didn&#39;t come from FR. [/b][/quote]
    but this did:
    [b]
    YET ANOTHER EXPERT, MORE ARGUMENTS AGAINST [09/09 03:48 PM] [/b]

Kerry Spot reader Bruce Webster who has as served as an expert witness in U.S. District Court cases regarding computer document forensics, writes in that the CBS News document "has all sorts of problems... The typefaces weren&#39;t available on typewriters in 1973."

The typefaces listed and linked below, by the way, do not have “curly” quotes, only "straight" ones. Oddly, you&#39;ll notice the CBS documents, like the Kerry Spot, have both, sometimes in the same document. (On the Kerry Spot, this is a result of transferring text from a word processing program into web-publishing program Moveable Type. (A link using curly quotes won&#39;t link correctly, which means every link has to be checked to make sure it has the right kind of quotes.)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

CNN has now pulled the documents in question from its&#39; web site:

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/09/bush.docs/index.html]http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/09/...docs/index.html[/url]

Which they advertise on the front page:

[url=http://www.cnn.com/]http://www.cnn.com/[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[b]CBS News denies Bush docs forged [/b]

Amid questions raised on Internet weblogs about the authenticity of National Guard documents potentially damaging to President Bush, CBS News told WorldNetDaily it stands by its claims.

Spokeswoman Kelli Edwards said she was aware of the charge that the documents, purportedly produced in 1972 and 1973, appear to have been forged with a modern word processor.

[b]
    "As is standard practice at CBS News, each of the documents broadcast on &#39;60 Minutes&#39; was thoroughly investigated by independent experts, and we are convinced of their authenticity," said Edwards. [/b]

Edwards refused to comment further, referring back to her statement as the final word.

[b]Later, however, she sent an e-mail to WND, adding, "CBS verified the authenticity of the documents by talking to individuals who had seen the documents at the time they were written. These individuals were close associates of [Bush commander] Colonel Jerry Killian and confirm that the documents reflect his opinions at the time the documents were written." [/b]

A White House spokesman did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

CBS News has a copy of a memo here in pdf format.

Among the assertions "60 Minutes II" derived from the documents were that Bush&#39;s Texas Air National Guard squadron commander, Col. Killian, was pressed to embellish a performance evaluation and that Bush did not follow an order to report for a physical.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So first they claim the documents were verified by "independent experts" then later recants and states they were verified after "talking with the individuals who saw the documents at the time they were written".....interesting......very interesting....

The irony is in their story on the web site CBS posts; "Killian died in 1984. 60 Minutes consulted a handwriting analyst and document expert who believes the material is authentic." Killian was the PResident&#39;s squadron commander.

All League
    FYI the documents are back on CNN. Most likely altered to look authentic.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 05:23 PM
    [b] FYI the documents are back on CNN. Most likely altered to look authentic. [/b][/quote]
    I saw the documents back up....if the second part of your post holds true they (CBS/CNN) are all effed.

All League
    [quote][b]I saw the documents back up....if the second part of your post holds true they (CBS/CNN) are all effed.
    [/b][/quote]

I agree it would be disgraceful. They would have to have known about it.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[b]&#39;60 Minutes&#39; Bush Guard Documents Questioned[/b]

DALLAS - The authenticity of newly unearthed memos stating that George W. Bush failed to meet standards of the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam War was questioned Thursday by the son of the late officer who reportedly wrote the memos.

"I am upset because I think it is a mixture of truth and fiction here," said Gary Killian, son of Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, who died in 1984.

Gary Killian, who served in the Guard with his father and retired as a captain in 1991, said one of the memos, signed by his father, appeared legitimate. But he doubted his father would have written another, unsigned memo which said there was pressure to "sugar coat" Bush&#39;s performance review.

"It just wouldn&#39;t happen," he said. "The only thing that can happen when you keep secret files like that are bad things. ... No officer in his right mind would write a memo like that."

News reports have said the memos, first obtained by CBS&#39;s "60 Minutes II," were found in Jerry Killian&#39;s personal records. Gary Killian said his father wasn&#39;t in the habit of bringing his work home with him, and that the documents didn&#39;t come from the family.

CBS stood by its reporting. "As a standard practice at CBS, each of the documents broadcast on "60 Minutes" was thoroughly investigated by independent experts and we are convinced of their authenticity," CBS News said in a statement.

The White House distributed the four memos from 1972 and 1973 after obtaining them from CBS News. The White House did not question their accuracy.

© 2004 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Hall Of Fame
    The Genral the memo was supposedly directed to retired in 1972-

From NRO-

ONE MORE ARGUMENT [09/09 07:11 PM]

As much as the Kerry Spot has tried to keep up with this, PowerLine has been on top of this story all day long. That site just presented what ought to be the straw that breaks the camel&#39;s back:

In the August 18, 1973 memo "discovered" by 60 Minutes, Jerry Killian purportedly writes:
    Staudt has obviously pressured Hodges more about Bush. I&#39;m having trouble running interference and doing my job.
    But wait&#33; Reader Amar Sarwal [this point later credited to reader Peter Nuss] points out that General Staudt, who thought very highly of Lt. Bush, retired in 1972.

Okay, CBS. The ball&#39;s in your court. Explain all this. Make all of this make sense. Don&#39;t completely ignore all of this, like you just did on the CBS Evening News.

If CBS ignores this, and gives no counterargument, no defense, then the general public will have no choice but to conclude that the network ran with a hoax - and now refuses to retract a lie.

Sounds like Dan Rather&#39;s got some xplainin&#39; to do.