Thread: Pat Robertson

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is scary that there are people in this country who believe something like this. What century are we in? Also, when do conservatives say enough is enough with people like this?

Robertson says gays bring about earthquakes, tornadoes, bombs

Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, June 10, 1998
    P.O. Box 449, Norfolk, VA 23501-0449
    (Fax (757) 446-2051)(E-Mail: [email]letters@pilotonline.com[/email])
    ([url]http://www.pilotonline.com/[/url])

Evangelist Robertson says gays bring about earthquakes, tornadoes, bombs By Tony Wharton, The Virginian-Pilot

VIRGINIA BEACH -- Pat Robertson said Orlando, Fla., should beware of hurricanes, since it and Disney World allowed Gay Days to be held there this past weekend.

"I would warn Orlando that you're right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don't think I'd be waving those flags in God's face if I were you,'' Robertson said Monday on his TV show, "The 700 Club.''

Robertson also said the widespread practice of homosexuality "will bring about terrorist bombs, it'll bring earthquakes, tornadoes and possibly a meteor.''

Gay organizations sponsor the annual Gay Days in Orlando and Disney World. The flags Robertson referred to, paid for by the gay rights groups, have a rainbow design and flew from Orlando's downtown utility poles during the celebration.

A reporter for ``The 700 Club'' news department did a segment on Gay Days during Monday's broadcast, saying the Christian Broadcasting Network had undercover video that was ``too graphic to show.''

After the news segment, Robertson talked for several minutes about the topic. He added, "We're not in any way, shape or form hating anybody. This is not a message of hate, this is a message of redemption.''

Disney World does not sponsor Gay Days but has said it will not discriminate by refusing to allow the event. The Southern Baptist Convention declared a boycott of Disney products and theme parks last year, in part because of Gay Days.

Hurricanes, and who they would hit, have been a theme of Robertson's career. In 1985, he claimed that his prayers helped steer Hurricane Gloria away from Hampton Roads, and in 1995 he said the same about Hurricane Felix.

Robertson also believes that various natural disasters are signs of God's will and that the world will suffer more of them before the arrival of ``the end of the age.''

He has long campaigned against homosexuality, and said Monday that the Bible's book of Romans considers it ``the last step in the decline of gentile civilization.''

Mitch Rosa, president of Hampton Roads Pride, a regional gay rights group, laughed when he heard of Robertson's remarks.

"I feel sorry for him, I really do,'' Rosa said. "He's taken the word of the Bible and twisted it to fit his needs.

"You know, what comes around goes around. If he's worried about a hurricane, he should worry first about his own roof.''

Americans United for Separation of Church and State, which monitors Robertson's statements, said in a statement, "Mickey Mouse had better hit the storm shelter.''

Barry W. Lynn, director of the group, said, "Politicians who take their marching orders from Pat Robertson ought to consider finding a new meteorologist.''

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. This is shameful. It's people like Pat who create and perpetuate the stereotype that all Christians are simpletons.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Robertson is a wacko nutjob that carries little to no influence on the mainstream republican party-liners.

This bozo has been saying these things for years. According to this nutso, the wildfires, tonadoes and hurricanes in florida going as far back as '91 are all due to "Gay Days" at Disney.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetFanTransplant[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 02:26 PM
    [b] Robertson is a wacko nutjob that carries little to no influence on the mainstream republican party-liners.

This bozo has been saying these things for years. According to this nutso, the wildfires, tonadoes and hurricanes in florida going as far back as '91 are all due to "Gay Days" at Disney. [/b][/quote]
    He is all of what you said, but I am sure he has a wide viewership of Republican voters who respect what he says. I am sure there are many ultra-conservative policymakers who probably agree, but just dont say it out loud.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    right..but about the gop sponsored Keyes..
    this guy said JESUS wouldn't vote for Obama!

come one..you know though? Jesus wouldn't vote for bush either!!

ohhh politics! at 5:00 I am getting tanked...between this election and a high maintenance girlfirend it's a miracle i am not a drunk!..
    i don't know how you guys with kids find time for anything!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Angry As a resident of the Hampton Roads area I am disgusted and ashamed to be in the same area as this nut. Him and PETA continouly embrass this area and I am sick of it. Angry

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by GangGreen63[/i]@Sep 9 2004, 02:40 PM
    [b] Angry As a resident of the Hampton Roads area I am disgusted and ashamed to be in the same area as this nut. Him and PETA continouly embrass this area and I am sick of it. Angry [/b][/quote]
    I lived in Va. Beach for a year. I couldnt believe the first time I saw those PETA offices. That place is unbelievable. Overlooking the water, balconies on each floor, volleyball courts.

Crazy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]I lived in Va. Beach for a year. I couldnt believe the first time I saw those PETA offices. That place is unbelievable. Overlooking the water, balconies on each floor, volleyball courts.

Crazy. [/b][/quote]

Yeah it is huge, but they are still the shame of this area. I drive by it once every couple of weeks and your right it is crazy. But we still hate them.