Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article in NY Daily News today

All League
    This was in the Editorial section...This woman was going to get a drink with her friend last week, similar to the kids who were going to see "The Village"...

Mayor Bloomberg says the city "acted appropriately" while arresting and holding thousands of people during the Republican convention. I beg to differ. I wasn't even a demonstrator - I was going for a drink with a friend when I was arrested - and my experience tells a different story.

It was Tuesday, Aug. 31, about 8:30 p.m. when my friend and I saw a lot of cops running on 26th St., then up Park Ave. South.

I saw a man being handcuffed who said he had done nothing. The cop was using a lot of force, and I asked him not to hurt the man. As I tried to call a friend to take photos of this injustice, a cop ordered my arrest. I was cuffed and thrown on the sidewalk with several other people. After about 20 minutes, I heard an officer say they needed five women. There were many men next to me, but only four other females. I made five. Quota for that streetcorner, I suppose.

We were loaded onto a bus and driven to Pier 57. There was a long line of buses ahead of us, and as we waited one man became very sick. He had Crohn's disease, and his colostomy bag had burst. He was throwing up all over the back of the bus. We all begged the cops to get him medical attention. They ignored us. We asked that he be let off the bus first. Again, they ignored us.

A group of us were locked in one of the many barbed-wire-enclosed cells. Women had to sit or lie on the filthy black pavement, only to be covered in soot. Some broke out in rashes. There were no mats or blankets, and fans were blowing directly on us. We asked that they to be turned off because we were freezing. The police refused.

Around noon on Wednesday, I was put aboard a bus for the Centre St. jail. A young woman was screaming that her wrists hurt and yelling at an officer to stop touching her. She was trying to loosen her cuffs because of her hypoglycemic condition. Instead, her cuffs were tightened, and she was locked in the bus' solitary confinement section. We all pleaded with the officer to loosen her cuffs because her wrists were turning blue. We were ignored.

The Centre St. holding area was another experience. At one point, we counted to see how many of us were in the 20-by-25-foot cell: 105 of us! We could barely move. Good luck trying to cross the room to use the toilet - which, by the way, had no door so you had to urinate in front of 105 strangers. I asked for some Tylenol for a migraine headache. I was told they did not give meds.

I didn't stay in that cell, though. We were moved constantly and randomly. There was much confusion on the part of the officers, who did not seem to know what was going on themselves. There seemed no rhyme or reason for what was called "being processed."

Early Thursday morning - about my 36th hour - our fingerprints were taken, but only after an officer sprayed our hands with Windex and then scrubbed them to take off the pier dirt.

Back to the cell. Although we told the police that several women, including myself, suffered from asthma, they sprayed the poorly ventilated cell with Lysol. I made yet another plea for painkillers. It fell on deaf ears.

A few hours later, we had mug shots taken. Afterward, an officer asked how I was. I said I had a severe migraine and back pain and needed painkillers. He handed me two Tylenols. Outrageous, after being told there were none in the building.

About 5 p.m., I was put in a cell next to the court. I asked for a lawyer but was advised to take the ACD (adjournment in contemplation of dismissal) that was being offered. I was down for parading without a permit and two counts of disorderly conduct - little 5-feet-3 me, who had just tried to do the right thing and help a guy out.

If I chose to plead not guilty, I was told, there was no knowing when I would get out of jail. The judge clearly wanted everyone out and not clogging the system with "not guilty" pleas.

At 7:30 p.m., 47 hours after my arrest, a judge told me that as long as I am "good" for the next six months my case will be sealed and dismissed. I guess that means don't walk down the streets of New York. And do not try to help strangers.

Sorry, Mr. Mayor, but what happened to me, and what I saw happening to others, was not "appropriate." And if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone.

Stefanelli is a costume designer.

Serves her right for getting smart with the cops.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 10:18 AM
    [b]
    I saw a man being handcuffed who said he had done nothing. The cop was using a lot of force, and I asked him not to hurt the man. As I tried to call a friend to take photos of this injustice, a cop ordered my arrest. [/b][/quote]
    And Murderer's say their innocent all the Time!! The person involved
    herself in a arrest and tried to hamper it..Did she think the Cops would
    wait till her friend got there?? :lol: A Liberal crying about no Tylenol!!
    How about minding one's own Business and they wouldn't have the
    problem...

If she really was just going out for a drink, then I do really feel bad for her. Overall though, I think the NYPD did a great job. After that undercover detective was beaten up I think they showed remarkable restraint for not beating the livin bejesus out of some of those hippies.

Hall Of Fame
    I believe every word of this person's account. Every word.

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 09:44 AM
    [b] I believe every word of this person's account. Every word. [/b][/quote]
    My favorite is when she mentions the quota for 5 women. The NYPD or Gestapo as she would descrbe them are known for their random arrests to fill quotas. After all NYC is the birth-place of affirmative action!

All League
    It is funny to me that people can justify locking up an innocent woman who was in the wrong place at the wrong time

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 10:54 AM
    [b] It is funny to me that people can justify locking up an innocent woman who was in the wrong place at the wrong time [/b][/quote]
    "I asked him not to hurt the man. As I tried to call a friend to take photos of this injustice, a cop ordered my arrest."

She chose to involve herself..She was in the wrong.. <_<

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 09:54 AM
    [b] It is funny to me that people can justify locking up an innocent woman who was in the wrong place at the wrong time [/b][/quote]
    Who&#39;s justifying anything? I find it funny that people can selectively believe whatever the hell is written down in a newspaper. Who knows if what this woman is saying is accurate or not? It&#39;s one side of the story, told by the participant, not even a witness. It&#39;s a non-issue. We simply don&#39;t have enough information with which to form an opinion as to whether or not she was "mistreated."

The whole story is a pile of crap. She sees someone getting arrested and tries to phone a freind to take photos of the injustice. What injustice. Did she see what the protester did to warrant getting arrested. This whole story reeks of BS.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I can believe this women was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was mistakenly arrested...it happened to me at the Atlanta Olympics in &#39;96. And when I appeared before the judge 5 hours later the DA apologized, let me go and set up a ride for me to get to Olympic stadium to see the events.

Fact is the cops are hot, overworked, saw one of their buddies almost beaten to death earlier in the week and are finished putting up with the BS of the protestors.

Of course carrying signs like this: [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/freeper/Answer%20Freep/RNCAnswerFreep09.jpg[/img] doesn&#39;t help...the other side said [b]"F^CK THE NYPD"[/b]

Fact also remains I saw bottles thrown at police and round steel pellets thrown in the direction of mounted police in the hopes of tripping up the horses.

The fact that this women incinuates there was a "quota" of females that had to be arrested shows she is not in a good state of mind.

And the police are not going to hand out medication in jail cells...if someone is alleric to say Tylenol, and is given one by an officer for a "migraine" John Edwards will be a-running to NYC to file a huge lawsuit&#33;

Veteran
    If this is indeed true, she should place blame where it belongs, with the protesters. Many groups of protesters had threatened civil disbedience and unfortunately they do not wear nametags indicating their intentions (See Seattle in 1999). Unfortunately I&#39;m sure "innocent" people were arrested, however, if you have an ounce of intelligence, you know if the theres a fire, stay away. These protesters pretend they are the only ones with civil rights. Yes they may have a civil right to protest on public streets, but I have a civil right to use those same streets to get to and from work, as do ambulances, fire trucks and police cars on their way to help people in distress. Clearly our civil rights and the protesters civil rights overlap. The police opted to protect the people who live and work here and actually contribute to society. They did a great job.

All League
    [quote][b]If this is indeed true, she should place blame where it belongs, with the protesters. Many groups of protesters had threatened civil disbedience and unfortunately they do not wear nametags indicating their intentions (See Seattle in 1999). Unfortunately I&#39;m sure "innocent" people were arrested, however, if you have an ounce of intelligence, you know if the theres a fire, stay away. These protesters pretend they are the only ones with civil rights. Yes they may have a civil right to protest on public streets, but I have a civil right to use those same streets to get to and from work, as do ambulances, fire trucks and police cars on their way to help people in distress. Clearly our civil rights and the protesters civil rights overlap. The police opted to protect the people who live and work here and actually contribute to society. They did a great job. [/b][/quote]

I may need to go over 3 sections and up 20 rows to beat some sense into you ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 01:00 PM
    [b] [quote][b]If this is indeed true, she should place blame where it belongs, with the protesters. Many groups of protesters had threatened civil disbedience and unfortunately they do not wear nametags indicating their intentions (See Seattle in 1999). Unfortunately I&#39;m sure "innocent" people were arrested, however, if you have an ounce of intelligence, you know if the theres a fire, stay away. These protesters pretend they are the only ones with civil rights. Yes they may have a civil right to protest on public streets, but I have a civil right to use those same streets to get to and from work, as do ambulances, fire trucks and police cars on their way to help people in distress. Clearly our civil rights and the protesters civil rights overlap. The police opted to protect the people who live and work here and actually contribute to society. They did a great job. [/b][/quote]

I may need to go over 3 sections and up 20 rows to beat some sense into you ;) [/b][/quote]
    while you&#39;re at it come on up to 321 and do the same to me&#33; :D

All League
    [quote][b]while you&#39;re at it come on up to 321 and do the same to me&#33; [/b][/quote]

I don&#39;t hit women, sorry.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 01:06 PM
    [b] [quote][b]while you&#39;re at it come on up to 321 and do the same to me&#33; [/b][/quote]

I don&#39;t hit women, sorry. [/b][/quote]
    I literally just spit up my drink all over my keyboard...hilarious.

No offense CBTNY, I don&#39;t know why I laughed so hard at this...

Please, continue, this is some classic stuff&#33;

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Sep 10 2004, 01:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Sep 10 2004, 01:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 01:06 PM
    [b] [quote][b]while you&#39;re at it come on up to 321 and do the same to me&#33; [/b][/quote]

I don&#39;t hit women, sorry. [/b][/quote]
    I literally just spit up my drink all over my keyboard...hilarious.

No offense CBTNY, I don&#39;t know why I laughed so hard at this...

Please, continue, this is some classic stuff&#33; [/b][/quote]
    since Jetgirl sits in my section no offense was taken. Of course he doesn&#39;t hit girls cause he&#39;s probably afraid they turn around and kick his ass.

All League
    Actually, sorry to dissapoint everyone. But I do not go to many games per year since I live in D.C. I won&#39;t be at the opener. It will either be my 2 brothers or 1 of my brothers and my father.

Maybe I&#39;ll make my first visit to 16h this year at some point.

I almost got in a fight once at a game with a Dolphins fan. It was the O&#39;brien/Marino shootout in 86. I was really young and decided to empty a few mustard packages onto a Dolphins jacket on the seat infront of me. The guy was pissed especially when the Dolphins lost in OT on Walkers 4th TD.

cmon guys this is the world we live in

in order to keep everyone safe from terror we have to take all the civil liberties our fore fathers fought and died for, and chuck them in the toilet

because 19 rag heads with box cutters and the biggest set of brass balls in history got lucky, we all lose our civil liberties.

why can&#39;t you all see that the government is LOOKING OUT for US when they arrest people who are mouthy

GOPers always take the side of "the man" cause they are "the man"

oppression is fun&#33; occupation of countries is fun&#33; locking people up for days (weeks, months, years) for no reason is fun&#33;&#33;

when did Americans get so stupid as to actually trust the government to do the right thing?

oh yeah and 9-11 justifies everything... keep telling yourselves that.

Hall Of Fame
    There wasn&#39;t any surpirse that the cops weren&#39;t taking any guff, and if you were stupid or silly to go anywhere near these protests, tough titties. And when these whiners and losers stepped out of line by disobeying a lawful order, they were arrested. Just feel lucky they didn&#39;t throw them into the general population of murderers, drug dealers, rapists, robbers and hoodlums in Center Street instead of that pier. And I&#39;ve got zero sympathy for anyone dumb enough to try to get between cops and some moron. It&#39;s only a shame she didn&#39;t catch some serious hardwood across the head, which she richly deserved.

And trust me-there wasn&#39;t any cop who thought it was fun or even wanted to be there. It was thankless work made worse by the protestors&#39; idiocy.