Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vigil Turns Hostile Toward Family Of Killed GI

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [b]Vigil Turns Hostile Toward Family Of Killed Soldier[/b]

DALLAS -- A candlelight vigil took place Wednesday night to remember U.S. war dead in Iraq during the week of the 1,000th casualty. One North Texas family whose relative -- Chad Drake -- was killed outside Baghdad Monday, was among the mourners at Dallas City Hall Plaza.

The vigil, though, turned abrasive toward the family members, according to a family friend. The friend sent an e-mail message to NBC 5 News that described the treatment some vigil attendees directed at the family.

Drake's mother was "harassed and yelled at, booed and hissed, told her son died for nothing," the message read.

Drake's mother reportedly left the event in tears.

The family attended the vigil because they thought it was meant to honor U.S. casualties. The event was organized by the Dallas Peace Center, which opposes the war.

The Drake family was upset about the antiwar tenor of the assembled crowd. The director of the Dallas Peace Center said the event was not intended to be an antiwar rally, but said e-mail notifications of the vigil were sent to a broad audience. Because the venue is a public place, he said, a variety of people with various views on the war in Iraq attended.

He also said the event was planned to include political overtones, but the Drake family should have been informed.

The center, however, did issue an apology to the Drake family.

"I want to be clear in issuing an apology to the mother of the recent victim of that war," Lon Burnam, of the Dallas Peace Center, said. "I can certainly understand why she would not feel comfortable in that particular venue with that particular group of people."

Peace Center officials said they believe the Drake family left before the scheduled events started, and the family might not have seen the planned ceremony.

Drake's sister told NBC 5 News that the family thought some of the crowd was hostile, so the family departed the vigil.

[url=http://www.nbc5i.com/news/3719681/detail.html]http://www.nbc5i.com/news/3719681/detail.html[/url]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moveon.org was sponsoring these "vigils" around the nation

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The liberals and John Kerry really are trying to turn this war into the next Vietnam. The next step will be greeting the returning heroes by spitting on them and calling them war criminals.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    just cause some idiot is acting up doesn't mean "it's the Liberals' fault!!
    you guys are sooo unbelievably simple minded some times ...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is relevant because John Kerry was partially responsible for the poor way the Vietnam Vets were treated when they returned home from Vietnam. Now he and the rest of the libs are tryign to turn Iraq into Vietnam for political gain. History repeating itself.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 09:47 AM
    [b] just cause some idiot is acting up doesn't mean "it's the Liberals' fault!!
    you guys are sooo unbelievably simple minded some times ... [/b][/quote]
    [quote][b]The event was organized by the Dallas Peace Center, which opposes the war.[/b][/quote]

I'm sure there are many fair-minded non-liberals in this organization....bman, tell us, how much time do you spend each day sticking your head up your ass??

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 09:51 AM
    [b]

I'm sure there are many fair-minded non-liberals in this organization....bman, tell us, how much time do you spend each day sticking your head up your ass?? [/b][/quote]
    You really think he sticks his head up his ass? I don't know...

Maybe he just shampoos with "Gee, Your Hair Smells Like Sphincter."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    you support the dumbest man to ever hold the office of the presidency..and you think my head's up my ass!! :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]It is relevant because John Kerry was partially responsible for the poor way the Vietnam Vets were treated when they returned home from Vietnam. Now he and the rest of the libs are tryign to turn Iraq into Vietnam for political gain. History repeating itself.[/b][/quote]

The only history repeating itself is Bush gets voted out after one term and a War against Iraq.

The last time we listened to a Bush we were wandering around the desert for 40 years.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 01:05 PM
    [b]
    The last time we listened to a Bush we were wandering around the desert for 40 years. [/b][/quote]
    You're an Israelite?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 01:03 PM
    [b] you support the dumbest man to ever hold the office of the presidency..and you think my head's up my ass!! :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    C'mon, Reagan be a lot more dumbest than Bush....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    like Bush...Reagan made very few decisions on his own..
    I can't believe the office of the presidency has become nothing more than a stool to sit on and look pretty...

Reagan at least played the part well....Bush chokes on pretzels.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [b]Family Of Killed Soldier: Vigil Crowd Threatening [/b]

POSTED: 5:48 pm CDT September 9, 2004 UPDATED: 11:02 am CDT September 10, 2004

DALLAS -- A candlelight vigil took place Wednesday night to remember U.S. war dead in Iraq during the week of the 1,000th casualty. One North Texas family whose relative -- Chad Drake -- was killed outside Baghdad on Monday, was among the mourners at Dallas City Hall Plaza.

A family friend said the vigil turned abrasive toward the family members. The friend sent an e-mail message to NBC 5 News that described the alleged treatment some vigil attendees directed at the family.

The family friend's message alleges Drake's mother was "harassed and yelled at, booed and hissed, told her son died for nothing."

Drake's mother reportedly left the event in tears.

The family attended the vigil because they thought it was meant to honor U.S. casualties. The event was organized by the Dallas Peace Center, which opposes the war.

The Drake family says they were upset about the antiwar tenor of the assembled crowd. The director of the Dallas Peace Center said the event was not intended to be an antiwar rally, but said e-mail notifications of the vigil were sent to a broad audience. Because the venue is a public place, he said, a variety of people with various views on the war in Iraq attended.

He also said the event was planned to include political overtones, but the Drake family should have been informed.

The center, however, did issue an apology to the Drake family.

"I want to be clear in issuing an apology to the mother of the recent victim of that war," Lon Burnam, of the Dallas Peace Center, said. "I can certainly understand why she would not feel comfortable in that particular venue with that particular group of people."

Peace Center officials said they believe the Drake family left before the scheduled events started, and the family might not have seen the planned ceremony.

Drake's sister told NBC 5 News that the family thought some of the crowd was hostile, so the family departed the vigil. Copyright 2004 by nbc5i.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]The only history repeating itself is Bush gets voted out after one term and a War against Iraq.[/b][/quote]

You should hope so. The latest Polls seem to think otherwise.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Mavrik[/i]@Sep 15 2004, 08:21 AM
    [b] [quote][b]The only history repeating itself is Bush gets voted out after one term and a War against Iraq.[/b][/quote]

You should hope so. The latest Polls seem to think otherwise. [/b][/quote]
    No, dont you get it...those polls are set up by the right-wing conspiracy network known as Fox news :blink:

Goddamn conservative media :lol:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan+Sep 15 2004, 11:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TheBrodyMan @ Sep 15 2004, 11:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mavrik[/i]@Sep 15 2004, 08:21 AM
    [b] [quote][b]The only history repeating itself is Bush gets voted out after one term and a War against Iraq.[/b][/quote]

You should hope so. The latest Polls seem to think otherwise. [/b][/quote]
    No, dont you get it...those polls are set up by the right-wing conspiracy network known as Fox news :blink:

Goddamn conservative media :lol: [/b][/quote]
    must be...especailly since those neo-conservative pollsters Quinnipiac College just said the kerri&#39;s lead in NY has shrunk from 19-pts down to 8.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    so can anyone tell me in 10 words or less why this boy died? what was the reason?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Sep 15 2004, 04:48 PM
    [b] so can anyone tell me in 10 words or less why this boy died? what was the reason? [/b][/quote]
    Freedom is not free. It comes with a price.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Sep 15 2004, 12:48 PM
    [b] so can anyone tell me in 10 words or less why this boy died? what was the reason? [/b][/quote]
    Serving and protecting his country.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    whatever... :blink:

im sure that&#39;s great solice for the woman who lost her little boy securing Fallujah or some other worthless s-hole.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Sep 15 2004, 01:48 PM
    He was serving his country trying to make the world safer from tyrants and terrorists. Yes, Saddam did support Al-Queda. How else can you explain the Al-Queda camps that were destroyed during hostilities?