Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60 Minutes now targeting military recruiting

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Date: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:25 pm
    Subject: CBS News/60 Minutes Seeking to talk with Military Families

12:50 PM Subject: Fw: CBS News/60 Minutes Seeking to talk withMilitary Families, Soldiers\ about recruiting, re-enlisting

Dear Military Families,

We received the email below from Michael Bronner, a producer for 60 Minutes, and spoke with him as well. He is looking to speak with families who have concerns about recruiting practices (for new recruits) AND re-enlistment schemes/pressures in the military. If you would like to email or speak with him, his contact information is below.

Thank you!

In Peace and Solidarity, Nancy Lessin and Charley Richardson, for MFSO [url]www.mfso.org[/url] [url]www.bringthemhomenow.org[/url]

----- Original Message ----- From: Bronner, Michael

Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 10:28 AM Subject: CBS News/60 Minutes

I am a producer at 60 Minutes and am working on a story about military recruiting. I have heard anecdotally about several concerns regarding recruiting methods employed by all of the armed forces, and am wondering whether there is anyone at MFSO working specifically on these issues, or any families with relevant experiences they might be willing to share.

Please reach me by phone though the contacts listed below.

Thanks very much.

-Michael Bronner, CBS News Michael Bronner
    CBS News/60 Minutes II
    555 W. 57th St., 8th Flr. New York, NY 10019 tel. 212.975.7938 fax
    212.975.9310 mobile: 646.331.3694

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This e-mail is on the front page of the website Veterans for Peace and can be found here:
    [url=http://www.veteransforpeace.org/roadtrip/freepress60minrequest.html]http://www.veteransforpeace.org/roadtrip/f...minrequest.html[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    we live in a democracy!!
    you really belong in saudi arabia...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry CBTNY, but I don't get your point...

If the Millitary is using illegal, immormal or misleading practices in their recruiting and re-enlistment campaigns, then it is legitimate news and deserves to be explored.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Sorry CBTNY, but I don't get your point...

If the Millitary is using illegal, immormal or misleading practices in their recruiting and re-enlistment campaigns, then it is legitimate news and deserves to be explored.
    [/b][/quote]

No WF he is correct. It is endangering America. Just think what our military would be if it didn't have a large proportion of its memebers joing because they really have no other viable opportunity. Did you know Shaggy was a marine?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [u]Everyone[/u] is a victim, except white males. It says so right on the label.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 12:07 PM
    [b] Sorry CBTNY, but I don't get your point...

[/b][/quote]
    obviously.....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]If the Millitary is using illegal, immormal or misleading practices in their recruiting and re-enlistment campaigns, then it is legitimate news and deserves to be explored. [/b][/quote]

Again...when is 60 Minutes going to have the Swift Boat Vets for Truth on??? when will they give the amount of time to Vietnam Veterans Against John Kerri as they did Richard Clarke, Paul O'Neill and a story about GWB's military service (which included fraudulant documents)?????

There was an Amry medic who marched with us two weeks ago against the kerri supporters. He spent 10 years in the Army, retired, then re-enlisted for a year to help serve in Iraq, where he spent nine months. During the march he was spit at and called all kinds of terrible names...when will 60 Minutes explore his legitimate storyy???? :blink:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    you can turn it off and go watch fox news.. or abc radio...or any of newcorp publications...
    there's plenty of right wing media out there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 12:36 PM
    [b] [quote][b]If the Millitary is using illegal, immormal or misleading practices in their recruiting and re-enlistment campaigns, then it is legitimate news and deserves to be explored. [/b][/quote]

Again...when is 60 Minutes going to have the Swift Boat Vets for Truth on??? when will they give the amount of time to Vietnam Veterans Against John Kerri as they did Richard Clarke, Paul O'Neill and a story about GWB's military service (which included fraudulant documents)?????

There was an Amry medic who marched with us two weeks ago against the kerri supporters. He spent 10 years in the Army, retired, then re-enlisted for a year to help serve in Iraq, where he spent nine months. During the march he was spit at and called all kinds of terrible names...when will 60 Minutes explore his legitimate storyy???? :blink: [/b][/quote]
    So you want 60 Minutes to cover your biases instead of their own?

Well, it IS a free country remember. Certainly, no one is stopping YOU from investing millions to form your own TV News Network. Then YOU can cover the news in any way you see fit. But wait, I forgot, you're too busy fighting the Hippie Protestors to do such things.....

And I am not sure what website or news shows you watch, but I have seen and heard plenty of the Swift Boat Vets on Fox, the various 24 hour news networks, Foxnews.com, CNN.com and of course on RightWing Radio. Are you trying to say the Swift Vets aren't getting covered or just aren;t getting covered as much as you think is appropriate?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish+Sep 10 2004, 01:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Warfish @ Sep 10 2004, 01:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 12:36 PM
    [b] [quote][b]If the Millitary is using illegal, immormal or misleading practices in their recruiting and re-enlistment campaigns, then it is legitimate news and deserves to be explored. [/b][/quote]

Again...when is 60 Minutes going to have the Swift Boat Vets for Truth on??? when will they give the amount of time to Vietnam Veterans Against John Kerri as they did Richard Clarke, Paul O&#39;Neill and a story about GWB&#39;s military service (which included fraudulant documents)?????

There was an Amry medic who marched with us two weeks ago against the kerri supporters. He spent 10 years in the Army, retired, then re-enlisted for a year to help serve in Iraq, where he spent nine months. During the march he was spit at and called all kinds of terrible names...when will 60 Minutes explore his legitimate storyy???? :blink: [/b][/quote]
    So you want 60 Minutes to cover your biases instead of their own?

Well, it IS a free country remember. Certainly, no one is stopping YOU from investing millions to form your own TV News Network. Then YOU can cover the news in any way you see fit. But wait, I forgot, you&#39;re too busy fighting the Hippie Protestors to do such things.....

And I am not sure what website or news shows you watch, but I have seen and heard plenty of the Swift Boat Vets on Fox, the various 24 hour news networks, Foxnews.com, CNN.com and of course on RightWing Radio. Are you trying to say the Swift Vets aren&#39;t getting covered or just aren;t getting covered as much as you think is appropriate? [/b][/quote]
    cripes...you really don&#39;t get it...I give up.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 02:06 PM
    [b] cripes...you really don&#39;t get it...I give up. [/b][/quote]
    Standard answer for someone who cannot see past his own biases, and cannot explain them to others without exposing himself for what he is, a partisan too blind to see any side of an issue but his own.

"You must be stupid because I cannot explain myself adequately" - CBTNY

Why don&#39;t I "get it"? Because I have seen plenty of Swift Boat coverage, all over all sorts of media? Or because I don&#39;t think an extremist such as yourself is a great example of what major media should cover? Or because I refuse to follow your viewpoint in lockstep? Anyone who disagrees now "doesn&#39;t get it"? No CBTNY, I "get you" just fine, I just think you are wrong.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    CBS and 60 Minutes are not honest about their biases, and portay themselves as dispassionate, thoroughly objective news sources. This is demonstrably false, as any moose can tell. I think that is what CBTNY has a problem with.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 02:14 PM
    [b] CBS and 60 Minutes are not honest about their biases, and portay themselves as dispassionate, thoroughly objective news sources. This is demonstrably false, as any moose can tell. I think that is what CBTNY has a problem with. [/b][/quote]
    If, as you say, "any Moose" can tell 60 Minutes is baised. why is it an issue? Surely "any Moose" can see the bias (as you yourself state) and therefore judge it on it&#39;s merrits with that bias in mind, right?

Or do you think maybe "some Moosees" DON&#39;T get the bias? :blink:

As I told him Jets5, I GET CBTNY&#39;s point. Oddly I don&#39;t see him complaining about Foxnews&#39; or The Washington Times&#39; clear and unequivicable biases to the right? Odd that THAT bias doesn&#39;t bother him at all, even though it is equal to any biases exibited by 60 Minutes....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]CBS and 60 Minutes are not honest about their biases, and portay themselves as dispassionate, thoroughly objective news sources. This is demonstrably false, as any moose can tell. I think that is what CBTNY has a problem with. [/b][/quote]

But are they claiming to be Fair and Balanced? Or claiming they are in a "No Spin Zone?"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 02:22 PM
    [b] [quote][b]CBS and 60 Minutes are not honest about their biases, and portay themselves as dispassionate, thoroughly objective news sources. This is demonstrably false, as any moose can tell. I think that is what CBTNY has a problem with. [/b][/quote]

But are they claiming to be Fair and Balanced? Or claiming they are in a "No Spin Zone?" [/b][/quote]
    Section, Bill O&#39;Rielly&#39;s show is not a news show. As you know, they actually do short newscasts during commericial breaks. O&#39;Rielly is an entertainer. That said, I hate the guy and think he&#39;s a jerk.

CBS doens&#39;t have that exact slogan, but yes, they claim to be fair and balanced and yet have a palpable bias, just like FoxNews.

[u]Fisher [/u]- good points. Everyone has a bias. It&#39;s just that the bias of the networks is more dangerous, since, until recently, the overwhelming majority of people relied on them for their news coverage and the networks themselves pretended to be "objective." In fact, all major networks have palpable liberal biases and thus, it was harder to tell or identify it since there was nothing easily accesible with which to contrast. But, now we have the Net and cable news and it is easier to see. Part of the meteoric rise in popularity of both cable news in general and Fox News specifically is likely because a lot of people were fed up with such an unbalanced perspective, offered by the likes of CBS and 60 Minutes.

Do I think CBTNY is going a bit overboard on this issue? Sure. But he&#39;s right to point out their flaws. And your initial sentence to him was not fair. He was not asking for them to air "his biases" instead of their own. He was asking for balance. He didn&#39;t say CBS should substitute the Swift Boat Vets for Bush&#39;s National Guard Service story, he merely wanted BOTH stories covered, which is quite different than perferring them to air "his" biases.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Sep 10 2004, 02:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever &#064; Sep 10 2004, 02:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 02:22 PM
    [b] [quote][b]CBS and 60 Minutes are not honest about their biases, and portay themselves as dispassionate, thoroughly objective news sources. This is demonstrably false, as any moose can tell. I think that is what CBTNY has a problem with. [/b][/quote]

But are they claiming to be Fair and Balanced? Or claiming they are in a "No Spin Zone?" [/b][/quote]
    Section, Bill O&#39;Rielly&#39;s show is not a news show. As you know, they actually do short newscasts during commericial breaks. O&#39;Rielly is an entertainer. That said, I hate the guy and think he&#39;s a jerk.

CBS doens&#39;t have that exact slogan, but yes, they claim to be fair and balanced and yet have a palpable bias, just like FoxNews.

[u]Fisher [/u]- good points. Everyone has a bias. It&#39;s just that the bias of the networks is more dangerous, since, until recently, the overwhelming majority of people relied on them for their news coverage and the networks themselves pretended to be "objective." In fact, all major networks have palpable liberal biases and thus, it was harder to tell or identify it since there was nothing easily accesible with which to contrast. But, now we have the Net and cable news and it is easier to see. Part of the meteoric rise in popularity of both cable news in general and Fox News specifically is likely because a lot of people were fed up with such an unbalanced perspective, offered by the likes of CBS and 60 Minutes.

Do I think CBTNY is going a bit overboard on this issue? Sure. But he&#39;s right to point out their flaws. And your initial sentence to him was not fair. He was not asking for them to air "his biases" instead of their own. He was asking for balance. He didn&#39;t say CBS should substitute the Swift Boat Vets for Bush&#39;s National Guard Service story, he merely wanted BOTH stories covered, which is quite different than perferring them to air "his" biases. [/b][/quote]
    Good post Jets5, as usual. If CBTNY had 1/10th of your communications abillity, he would be one dangerous poster&#33;

You make good points and I only have a few comments in response:

The phrasing of Newslike shows (such as O&#39;Reilly and Right Wing Radio) as "Entertainment" can and often is very misleading and could equally apply to 60 Minutes Dramanewsie shows as well. I listen to Rush alot, for example, and his show is couched as news, not entertainment, truth, not opinion. It&#39;s semantics, news vs. entertainment, but the REAL truth, the one none of like to think about is this.....

All News, from the most unbaised sourse to the most vile partisan, is still entertainment. Rating drive the game (or sales in newspapers), and THAT, above all else, wins out. Sickening, but true. And I don;t see it changing any time soon.

My only real disagreement with you is your view of CBTNY. I think he would be as happy as a pig in ****e if all News everywhere followed his political adgenda and biases. He would be quite happy if the news mirrored his viepoint and showed no other. He isn&#39;t seeking fairness, he is seeking dominance by his version of Conservative Thought.

That is the difference between a CBTNY and you Jets5. You make an effort to be fair and balanced and you earn respect, even from those that disagree with you. CBTNY has never had a fair and balanced post in his life.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Once again 5Ever and WF save the day. The only question is who is listening and comprehending.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good post Sticks. Can&#39;t argue. You&#39;re right, the line between news and entertainment is blurrly as hell, if it even exists at all. And yes, many people prbably do consider O&#39;Rielly to be a newscaster. I like Brit Hume a lot, but I find FoxNews and cable news in general to be too much yelling and interrupting. I especially dislike Sean Hannity - I consider him to be a dimwit.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 02:14 PM
    [b] CBS and 60 Minutes are not honest about their biases, and portay themselves as dispassionate, thoroughly objective news sources. This is demonstrably false, as any moose can tell. I think that is what CBTNY has a problem with. [/b][/quote]
    bingo&#33; The above it all, eltist attitude from many of the alphabet stations who should be looking into the mirror.

For the past three weeks we&#39;ve heard "Swfit Boat Veterans are doing George Bush&#39;s dirty work" and "Dick Cheney is doing George Bush&#39;s dirty work."

I guess we can now say, with factual evidence that "CBS and NBC are doing john kerri&#39;s dirty work&#33;"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 02:58 PM
    [b] Good post Sticks. Can&#39;t argue. You&#39;re right, the line between news and entertainment is blurrly as hell, if it even exists at all. And yes, many people prbably do consider O&#39;Rielly to be a newscaster. I like Brit Hume a lot, but I find FoxNews and cable news in general to be too much yelling and interrupting. I especially dislike Sean Hannity - I consider him to be a dimwit. [/b][/quote]
    No doubt. WAY too much aggression.....probably the same reason I have trouble with Right Wing Radio. They may be agruing an issue I agree with them on in principle, but their oft screechy and ultra-aggressive presentation of that position puts me off.

I tend to stick to non-broadcast news myself. I visit two sites every single day: FoxNews.com and CNN.com. Between the two (one right and one left) I think I get a great view of the events of the day. Bewteen the two I get fair....AND balanced, LOL&#33;&#33;&#33; And best of all, no screaming&#33;