Thread: Dan Rather sinks Kerry

Friday, Sept. 10, 2004 12:59 a.m. EDT

Caddell: Dan Rather May Have Cost Kerry the Election

Longtime Democratic strategist Pat Caddell said Friday that if documents aired by CBS newsman Dan Rather Wednesday night turn out to be forged, as alleged by experts, the presidential race "is over."

"It would be the end of the race," Caddell told Fox News Live. "It would be the end of the race," he repeated.

"[Democratic officials are] so involved in this," the former Carter pollster worried. "They have gotten themselves so involved in this issue [in] the last 24 hours that somebody's going to, if they're not authentic, they're going to be blamed for it. It's incredible to me that they've gotten in this."

Caddell said he wasn't trying to sensationalize the issue, explaining that instead "I'm trying to save my party, you know, by telling the truth."

He said that forfeiting the presidential race would be the least of his party's problems if Democrats are tied to any forgery scandal.

"The race is over and we've got bigger problems than that," he warned.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

While I don't totally agree with that NBC is ready to put another nail into the kerri coffin next week.

Then again Pope as many of us have predicted; all this hate-Bush mentality would come back and bite the rats in the ass.

All Pro
    Dan rather is to jane kerry what sigfried is to roy.

The forgery story is gaining legs. It is all but accepted fact that the documents were forged. The question now being asked is who was behind it. How deep and high up does this scandal go. Was Kerry diredtly involved? This should be interesting over the next few days.

From Newsday..

By MATT KELLEY
    Associated Press Writer

September 10, 2004, 1:45 PM EDT

WASHINGTON -- Questions are being raised about the authenticity of newly unearthed memos which asserted that George W. Bush ignored a direct order from a superior officer in the Texas Air National Guard and lost his status as a pilot because he failed to meet military performance standards and undergo a required physical exam.

CBS, which reported on the memos on its "60 Minutes" program, said its experts who examined the documents concluded that they were authentic. They ostensibly were written by Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, one of Bush's commanders in 1972 and 1973.

A co-worker of Killian's quoted in the CBS broadcast told The Associated Press Friday he had no reason to doubt the memos, although he can't verify them.

But Killian's son, one of Killian's fellow officers and an independent document examiner questioned the memos. Gary Killian, who served in the Guard with his father and retired as a captain in 1991, said he doubted his father would have written an unsigned memo which said there was pressure to "sugar coat" Bush's performance review.

"It just wouldn't happen," he said. "No officer in his right mind would write a memo like that."

Bush spokesman Scott McClellan said Friday the White House, which distributed the memos after obtaining them from CBS, was not trying to verify their authenticity. "We don't know if the documents are fabricated or authentic," McClellan told reporters traveling with the president to West Virginia.

McClellan suggested the memos surfaced as part of "an orchestrated effort by Democrats and the Kerry campaign to tear down the president."

The personnel chief in Killian's unit at the time said he believes the documents are fake.

"They looked to me like forgeries," said Rufus Martin. "I don't think Killian would do that, and I knew him for 17 years." Killian died in 1984.

Independent document examiner Sandra Ramsey Lines said the memos looked like they had been produced on a computer using Microsoft Word software. Lines, a document expert and fellow of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, pointed to a superscript -- a smaller, raised "th" in "111th Fighter Interceptor Squadron" -- as evidence indicating forgery.

Microsoft Word automatically inserts superscripts in the same style as the two on the memos obtained by CBS, she said.

"I'm virtually certain these were computer generated," Lines said after reviewing copies of the documents at her office in Paradise Valley, Ariz. She produced a nearly identical document using her computer's Microsoft Word software.

Robert Strong, who worked with Killian at the time the memos are dated, said he did not see anything in the memos that made him think they were forgeries. Strong noted he's not a forensic expert and isn't vouching for the documents.

"I didn't see anything that was inconsistent with how we did business," Strong said. "It looked like the sort of thing that Jerry Killian would have done or said. He was a very professional guy."

The Defense Department released Bush's pilot logs this week under pressure from a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit by The Associated Press.

Bush's Vietnam-era Air National Guard service became a focus of Democratic criticism this week amid a flurry of new reports about his activities. Democrats say Bush shirked his National Guard duties, a claim Bush denies.

Bush joined the Texas Air National Guard in 1968, serving more than a year on active Air Force duty while being trained to fly F-102A jets. He was honorably discharged from the Guard in October 1973 and left the Air Force Reserves in May 1974.

The first four months of 1972 are at the beginning of a controversial period in Bush's Guard service. After taking his last flight in April 1972, Bush went for six months without showing up for any training drills. In September 1972 he received permission to transfer to an Alabama Guard unit so he could work on a political campaign there.

That May, Bush also skipped a required yearly medical examination. In response, his commanders grounded Bush on Aug. 1, 1972.

* __

Associated Press Correspondent Kelley Shannon contributed to this report from Austin, Texas.
    Copyright 2004, The Associated Press

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by chiefst2000[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 03:31 PM
    [b] The forgery story is gaining legs. It is all but accepted fact that the documents were forged. The question now being asked is who was behind it. How deep and high up does this scandal go. Was Kerry diredtly involved? This should be interesting over the next few days. [/b][/quote]
    I am not as cynical as most and would be shocked if kerri was behind it.

Two points/theories have come to light; the person who 'verified" the forms were real has connections to the Howard Dean campaign and CBS is to make a statement the forms were acquired from the same source that gave 60 Min II the Abu Graihb pictures...stay tuned.

First Sandy Burger is caught stuffing documents in his pants. Now Democrats possibly connected to the Kerry campaign are passing forged documents.. This is becoming a pattern with these guys. I don't think Kerry directly forged the documents but I wouldn't be surprised if the campaign knowingly passed the docs along to CBS..

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Evidently the Pentagon is now questioning this:

"the Pentagon questions the use of a PO Box on a memo, and that the PO Box may never have been used by that unit saying it seems highly unlikely that they would have PO Box containing sequential numbers. Standard military practice has always been to place the actual physical address on the letter head."

If CBS is the culprit of the forged documents and it can be proven they will be in hot water with the feds as forging goverment documents is a huge no-no.

That would be hilarious if Rather costs Lurch the election.....

His newcasts are so liberally biased it makes me want to puke...

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by pope[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 02:57 PM
    [b] "I'm trying to save my party, you know, by telling the truth."

[/b][/quote]
    I don't envy you, Pat Caddell!

Good luck! :lol:

flushingjet
    extremely easy to figger out. It was a Clinton/Clintonians sabotage because Hillary needs to get a shot in '08 before the clock strikes 12 (er, 12 years of Republican rule, thank God) and she turns back into Madeline Albright.
    Giuliani will nip her in the bud.