4 44.44%
  • Seven to Ten More Years

0 0%
  • Ten More Years+

3 33.33%

Thread: How Long Will U.S. Forces be in Iraq

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am interested to know what everyone here, of both sides, thinks regarding how long our forces will remain in Iraq in Combat situations. How many American soldiers will die before the end?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crap, I think I hit Null vote by mistake. I meant "5 to 7" Fisher King....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as it take...considering we still have troops in Germany, Japan and South Korea.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wel, someone other than me also voted 5 to 7, so maybe you did vote. Oddly enough, we agree it would seem......

Sadly, I see American deaths in the range of 3K to 5K before we are done. I hope the end result (in theory a free and Democratic Iraq working with the U.S. against the tyrany of the rest of the Middle East) is worth the sacrifice, both of money, and more importantly, American lives.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 03:07 PM
    [b] Wel, someone other than me also voted 5 to 7, so maybe you did vote. Oddly enough, we agree it would seem......

Sadly, I see American deaths in the range of 3K to 5K before we are done. I hope the end result (in theory a free and Democratic Iraq working with the U.S. against the tyrany of the rest of the Middle East) is worth the sacrifice, both of money, and more importantly, American lives. [/b][/quote]
    I would hope that we would be there for 10+ more years. It is a great thing for us to have troop bases on the Iranian border. It should help keep them in check. As for the hostilities in Iraq I would expect they will calm down in the next year. I doubt we'll see any significant numbers of casualties after the Iraqi elections.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]I would hope that we would be there for 10+ more years. [/b][/quote]

You have no questions or hesitation in being seen as an occupying army, and the possible repurcussions of such an "occupation"? Once the Iraqi elections go through, should we remain in force, or allow the Iraqi's to police themselves? Maybe not right away, but within a reasonable period (1 to 2 years max?)

I am not disagreeing, just asking.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    occupation clearly doesn't work!
    look at isreal..I see military bases being formed and continued terrorist attacks for another 20 years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 03:50 PM
    [b] [quote][b]I would hope that we would be there for 10+ more years. [/b][/quote]

You have no questions or hesitation in being seen as an occupying army, and the possible repurcussions of such an "occupation"? Once the Iraqi elections go through, should we remain in force, or allow the Iraqi's to police themselves? Maybe not right away, but within a reasonable period (1 to 2 years max?)

I am not disagreeing, just asking. [/b][/quote]
    I have no interest in policing Iraq. Our bases would remain in Iraq just like they did in S. Korea and Germany. The troops will not be used for policing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    they won't be used for policing..but they will continue to be sitting ducks waiting for mortar attacks..
    KHOBAR Bombings ring a bell..

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 03:58 PM
    [b] occupation clearly doesn't work!
    look at isreal..I see military bases being formed and continued terrorist attacks for another 20 years. [/b][/quote]
    okay...you got me here.

Are you saying Israel, as a thriving democracy is proof a developing state can exsist without occupation or are you bemoaning this crap?

[img]http://www.protestwarrior.com/nimages/signs/pw_sign_22.gif[/img]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isreal does occupy palestinian land...enforced Curfeiws, rolls tanks through neighborhoods..Builds settlements on palestinian land..
    in return, palestinians blow up school busses...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Sep 10 2004, 04:10 PM
    [b] Isreal does occupy palestinian land...enforced Curfeiws, rolls tanks through neighborhoods..Builds settlements on palestinian land..
    in return, palestinians blow up school busses... [/b][/quote]
    ...and use UN ambulances to transport their troops and ammo through the region.