Thread: WHA #2.......1970's flashback to fill NHL void?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    CJ, caught you floating around the JI board yesterday. Long time no speak?

Anyway, what do you (or any other JI hockey fans) make of this new WHA?

I don't actually remember the first WHA, but as a former Whalers fanatic, I've always loved the history of the league....I'm sure as a Oiler fan, the original WHA means something to you also......

http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net/

Here are some quick comments:

**The Quebec Nordiks? You got to be kidding me.......lucky they folded before even taking the ice....Even luckier they the "c" out of their new nick-name B)

**Teams in Dallas and Miami? What the F' are these fools smoking? Miami is an NHL joke, now you add 2nd team to the city mix....Phoenix on the horizon :o :wacko:

**Cincinnati? Anybody ever see the Cincinnati Stinger (WHA) logo/ flag prominately displayed on re-runs of WKRP in Cincinnati--that was Mike Luit's team...Still look for it, whenever that show is on TV Land.

**Is this league really trying to sign 17 year old Sid Crosby, by throwing millions at him? Crosby, by the way, is supposed to be the next Lemiuex or Lindros (super prospect).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    rigs- i was a big wha supporter as my uncle was GM of Nordiques!!!

Original teams

Winnipeg Jets
    Ottawa Nationals
    NE WHalers
    LA Sharks
    NY Raiders
    Cleveland Crusaders
    Minn Fighting Saints
    Edmonton Oilers
    Philly Blazers
    Houston Aeros

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    afosomf, your uncle was the GM of the WHA Nordiques? Now, that's cool...

Forgot to mention the Indianapolis Racers......Whalers folklore has it that former owner Howard Baldwin came up $5,000 dollars short of landing Wayne Gretzky. Whalers were the early favorite.

I read there was a rich Canadian named Nelson Skalbania that used to go around buying teams in a bunch of sports, just for the purposes of moving them or folding them to make a profit (he may've taken the Flames to Calgary).

Anyway, Skalbania bought the team from Indianapolis for the sole reason of selling Gretzky. Once Edmonton outbid the Whalers for the great one, he folded the team immediately......

Imagine how different sports in Connecticut would've been if Gretzky was on those young, talented Whalers teams in the 2nd half of the 1980's :o

Another great WHA story--Beer boycott forces merger:
    WHA President Howard Baldwin announces that the NHL has reconsidered the merger bid by the four WHA franchises saying, "It's done this time. It's going to happen." An economic blockade by beer drinkers forced the about-face by the NHL. One of the NHL franchises voting against the merger, the Montreal Canadians, is owned by one of Canada's largest beer makers, Molson Breweries. Hockey fans in Edmonton, Winnipeg and Quebec simply stopped drinking Molson products. Gunfire at one of the Winnipeg breweries was also reported.

Check out these logo's B) http://www.abdcards.com/acewhapn.jpg

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The WHA is pissing away a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY right now if they don't make this their inaugural season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This just in. The "New" WHA is officially dead.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Oct 14 2004, 10:41 PM
    Starting up a new Hockey League is really tough, as the expenses are high, but the revenues are not there, especially in many USA cities.

The NHL will find out that the interest is lacking even for the established league also, if this silliness continues.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mbn007+Oct 15 2004, 11:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mbn007 @ Oct 15 2004, 11:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Gun Of Bavaria@Oct 14 2004, 10:41 PM
    Starting up a new Hockey League is really tough, as the expenses are high, but the revenues are not there, especially in many USA cities.

The NHL will find out that the interest is lacking even for the established league also, if this silliness continues. [/b][/quote]
    Agreed.

You have to keep ticket prices low to get people in the stands and that will not help the bottom dollar.

I like hockey and I am not crushed that it is gone.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by PFSIKH+Oct 15 2004, 12:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PFSIKH @ Oct 15 2004, 12:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by mbn007@Oct 15 2004, 11:10 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-The Gun Of Bavaria
    @Oct 14 2004, 10:41 PM

The NHL will find out that the interest is lacking even for the established league also, if this silliness continues.
    Agreed.

You have to keep ticket prices low to get people in the stands and that will not help the bottom dollar.

I like hockey and I am not crushed that it is gone. [/b][/quote]
    That ain&#39;t the case here in detroit. Nose bleeds are &#036;49 each

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Oct 15 2004, 05:38 PM

For a new league though, you have to keep prices relatively low.

KC has there first hockey team in about 5 years playing in the UHL.

There front row tickets go for &#036;40 and then the next price is &#036;18.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by PFSIKH+Oct 15 2004, 02:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PFSIKH @ Oct 15 2004, 02:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-The Gun Of Bavaria@Oct 15 2004, 05:38 PM

For a new league though, you have to keep prices relatively low.

KC has there first hockey team in about 5 years playing in the UHL.

There front row tickets go for &#036;40 and then the next price is &#036;18. [/b][/quote]
    Not bad.

When I was at FT Sill I used to go to OKC Blazers games all the time. Not that bad of hockey.

I was a little suprised that the WHA couldn&#39;t even get off the ground.