Thread: Woman Loses Job over Kerry sticker

All League
    [url=http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/news/040912/sticker.shtml]http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/n...2/sticker.shtml[/url]

MOULTON Lynne Gobbell never imagined the cost of a John Kerry-John Edwards bumper sticker could run so high.

Lynne Gobbell said her boss fired her last week because of the Kerry-Edwards campaign sticker on the back of her car.
    Gobbell of Moulton didn't pay a cent for the sticker that she proudly displays on the rear windshield of her Chevrolet Lumina, but said it cost her job at a local factory after it angered her boss, Phil Gaddis.

Gaddis, a Decatur bankruptcy attorney, owns Enviromate, a cellulose insulation company in Moulton.

Gaddis did not return phone calls from THE DAILY about the alleged Thursday firing.

Gobbell said she consulted a lawyer, but then changed her mind about going to see him. She said she has cried about the incident and must do without income for three weeks while the state unemployment commission decides if she is eligible for compensation.

Gobbell said she was averaging 50 to 60 hours a week on the plant's bagging machine.

"The lady there (at the unemployment commission) said that she has never heard of a firing like this before," Gobbell said.

Gobbell gave this account:

"We were going back to work from break, and my manager told me that Phil said to remove the sticker off my car or I was fired," she said. "I told him that Phil couldn't tell me who to vote for. He said, 'Go tell him.' "

She went to Gaddis' office, knocked on the door and entered on his orders.

"Phil and another man who works there were there," she said. "I asked him if he said to remove the sticker and he said, 'Yes, I did.' I told him he couldn't tell me who to vote for. When I told him that, he told me, 'I own this place.' I told him he still couldn't tell me who to vote for."

Gobbell said Gaddis told her to "get out of here."

"I asked him if I was fired and he told me he was thinking about it," she said. "I said, 'Well, am I fired?' He hollered and said, 'Get out of here and shut the door.' "

She said her manager was standing in another room and she asked him if that meant for her to go back to work or go home. The manager told her to go back to work, but he came back a few minutes later and said, " 'I reckon you're fired. You could either work for him or John Kerry,' " Gobbell said.

"I took off my gloves and threw them in the garbage and left," Gobbell said.

Though she is unemployed and uncertain if she will get her job back, Gobbell said, she doesn't regret her decision to keep the sticker on her windshield.

"I would like to find another job, but I would take that job back because I need to work," she said. "It upset me and made me mad that he could put a letter in my check expressing his (political) opinion, but I can't put something on my car expressing mine."

She was referring to a flier that she said Gaddis placed in employee envelopes to remind them of the positive impact that President Bush's policies have had on them. An employee at the plant who would not identify himself confirmed the contents of the letter.

Gobbell provided a copy of the flier. It says:

"Just so you will know, because of the Bush tax (cut):

I was able to buy the new Hammer Mill
    I was able to finance our receivables
    I was able to get the new CAT skid steer
    I was able to get the wire cutter
    I was able to give you a job"
    It further says:

"You got the benefit of the Bush tax cut. Everyone did."

All League
    Here is a follow-up from MSN...Looks like Kerry created one job at least... :D

The story was picked up by Daily Kos, a political Web log, and spread quickly around the Web. By this morning, Geddes, who has declined to comment publicly on the matter, had apparently had enough of the bad publicity. Through an intermediary, he offered Gobbell an apology and said she could have her old job back. But Gobbell said she wouldn't return without some written guarantee that Geddes wouldn't turn around and fire her once he was out of the spotlight. Then, late this afternoon, Kerry himself phoned Gobbell. "He was telling me how proud he was that I stood up," Gobbell told me. "He'd read the part where Phil said I could either work for him or work for John Kerry. He said, 'you let him know you're working for me as of today.' I was just so shocked."

Gobbell accepted Kerry's job offer, "so I reckon I'll be working for John Kerry." Kerry left it that someone from his campaign would call Gobbell to work out the details. Let's hope there's quick follow-through (I'll be checking!), because Gobbell told me she couldn't wait to tell Geddes that she had a better offer.

Although there's an excellent chance the Kerry campaign will flog (or perhaps already has flogged) this story in the press, I should emphasize that it did not tip me to Gobbell's story. By sheer coincidence, I happened to call Gobbell while she was on the line with Kerry, and got a busy signal. When I called back a few minutes later, Gobbell explained who she'd just been speaking with. In a political campaign, I should note, it's entirely appropriate to hire somebody based on that person's politics.

Hall Of Fame
    Who cares? Honestly, why is this a story? People get fired for bogus reasons all the time. They can fight them if they so choose. We have recourses for this type of discrimination in this country. It looks as if things will work out for her.

Her boss is obviously an a-hole. Good for her.

What is your point in starting this thread? Are you trying to imply some sort of nefarious connection between the Bush administration and this individual company? Are you trying to establish some kind of pattern of top-down intimidation by the Bushies?

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Sep 17 2004, 08:41 AM
    [b] Who cares? Honestly, why is this a story? People get fired for bogus reasons all the time. They can fight them if they so choose. We have recourses for this type of discrimination in this country. It looks as if things will work out for her.

What is your point in starting this thread? Are you trying to imply some sort of nefarious connection between the Bush administration and this individual company? Are you trying to establish some kind of pattern of top-down intimidation? [/b][/quote]
    Who cares that Kerry supporters ripped a girls' Bush sign? This story and that one does not have any effect on the campaign at all. Both are interesting tidbits imo.

Calm down, dude, its friday.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Sep 17 2004, 08:41 AM
    [b] Who cares? Honestly, why is this a story? People get fired for bogus reasons all the time. They can fight them if they so choose. We have recourses for this type of discrimination in this country. It looks as if things will work out for her.

What is your point in starting this thread? Are you trying to imply some sort of nefarious connection between the Bush administration and this individual company? Are you trying to establish some kind of pattern of top-down intimidation by the Bushies? [/b][/quote]
    Jeez, Jets5, forget your bran muffin this morning?? LOL!!! :lol:

It's just a story, related to politics. It is cheesy, and somewhat unbelievable, but entertaining none-the-less. Take it any way you like and move on. Lord knows we get plenty of these kinds of partisan posts for Conservative posters too.

Hall Of Fame
    I know, I know. I over-reacted. And yes, we get moronic threads from both sides...unfortunately, the moroninc ones greatly outnumber the intelligent ones, and it gets annoying....

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Sep 17 2004, 09:45 AM
    [b] I know, I know. I over-reacted. And yes, we get moronic threads from both sides...unfortunately, the moroninc ones greatly outnumber the intelligent ones, and it gets annoying.... [/b][/quote]
    I dont think this is a "moronic" thread. Its just an interesting article.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long+Sep 17 2004, 09:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (4th&Long &#064; Sep 17 2004, 09:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jets5ever[/i]@Sep 17 2004, 09:45 AM
    [b] I know, I know. I over-reacted. And yes, we get moronic threads from both sides...unfortunately, the moroninc ones greatly outnumber the intelligent ones, and it gets annoying.... [/b][/quote]
    I dont think this is a "moronic" thread. Its just an interesting article. [/b][/quote]
    You&#39;re right, this isn&#39;t a moronic thread. I over-reacted. You just posted the article, you didn&#39;t comment snidely on it or extrapolate wildly from it. I apologize for my harsh initial reply.... You and Fishsticks were right, I need(ed) to chill.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

A Lawyer that likes Bush?? Who would have thunk it??? :lol: :lol: