Thread: The Lockout

Hall Of Fame
    I think that-

-if someone bought one of these crappy hockey teams and thought they would make money with no real national TV revenue, they're fools;
    -in the last 3 years, 12 different teams have been in the semifinals, and none of'em were the Rangers(no playoffs in 7 years for Dolan's Fat Wallets) or Red Wings, so comeptitive balance is here now;
    -if the Kings, Pens, Sabres and Sens are losing so much money-GO OUT OF BUSINESS ALREADY and stop the whining;nothing would get the union's attention faster than the loss of 90 jobs;
    -I understand some cap system might help hockey, BUT-why do otherwise smart businessmen turn into idiots with their checkbooks such that they need such protection from themselves?;
    -hockey has expanded too quickly and with too many teams; the talent pool is depleted even with an influx of Euros and college guys; the lousy talent end itslef to boring trap/lock systems and clutch&grab;
    -in 1994, me and any number of friends could tell you the top 2 lines and top 2 d combos of every team-now who knows the hell any of these guys are?

It's disgraceful, but worse, no one cares. And given where the NHL was from 1994 through the rest of thr 1990s, that's pretty sad.

Veteran
    As far as I'm concerned, the NHL has been screwing themselves silly for years. First, they messed up by not capitalizing on a Stanley Cup win by the team in their number one market. Then, they over-expand by six teams (they should have kept it at two: Minnesota and Nashville, who has turned into a surprisingly good market for professional hockey) and relocate two classic franchises to a pair of questionable markets (although one could argue that Phoenix is becoming a boom market for hockey; meanwhile, Carolina is as passionate about hockey as Canadians are about basketball) while alienating the Canadian franchises.

On top of that, you have a bumbling idiot of a commissioner and Donald Fehr's understudy as a Player's Association head grasping at straws over a collective bargaining agreement. This crap could've been stopped two years ago, but they decided to leave it alone until six months (!!&#33 before the playoffs started and even talk over a work stoppage overshadowed what was a great Cup playoffs.

Professional hockey will never be the same after this ends - if ever. It'll only survive in the small cities and communites. I'm glad I still have two minor league teams and a bunch of college squads to support here in my part of the country. And one of those pro teams has the most famous mullet in the world as their co-owner!

Veteran
    The NHL has many problems that have developed through the years. Too many teams with too many games and too many playoff teams.

If this lockout fixes the problems I'm all for it!

There are too many teams. That's the number 1 issue. The talent pool is too diluted for the number of teams out there. Cut back 6-8 teams, and the league will be better for it. I know this is drastic, but for a professional league with minimal TV $$$$$$, this is needed to survive and thrive.

Then cut the playoff system to 12 teams. Use a best of 3 or best of 5 to get to 8 teams, and go from there. In a league where everyone makes the playoffs, except the Rangers, you're killing yourselves by having a meaningless regular season.

Veteran
    Originally posted by mbn007@Sep 21 2004, 07:49 AM
    There are too many teams. That's the number 1 issue. The talent pool is too diluted for the number of teams out there. Cut back 6-8 teams, and the league will be better for it. I know this is drastic, but for a professional league with minimal TV $$$$$$, this is needed to survive and thrive.

Then cut the playoff system to 12 teams. Use a best of 3 or best of 5 to get to 8 teams, and go from there. In a league where everyone makes the playoffs, except the Rangers, you're killing yourselves by having a meaningless regular season.
    Exactly, bring back the Patrick Division.

If if they make changes one thing will always remain the same: The rangers Suck!

The Stanley Cup Champions made about $3 million net this past year. That's it. And they have a middle of the road payrole at best. That should speak volumes. Now the have some of the lowest ticket prices in the NHL which is part of the reason, but still, something has to be done.

I hope it's soon, because my wife got me tickets for opening night. Raising of the bannners and all that goes with it. I'll be pissed if there is no season.

All League
    The owners and players have to come to some compromise or they are going to kill the sport- it is never going to be a national sport in U.S- accept that and leave only the strongest franchises.
    Fold the weaker ones -that is one of the major problems that the league over expanded and went into markets they should not have. I am hoping they can get a reasonable settlement to see some hockey this year.

Originally posted by BucJeff@Sep 21 2004, 02:26 PM
    The Stanley Cup Champions made about $3 million net this past year. That's it. And they have a middle of the road payrole at best. That should speak volumes. Now the have some of the lowest ticket prices in the NHL which is part of the reason, but still, something has to be done.

I hope it's soon, because my wife got me tickets for opening night. Raising of the bannners and all that goes with it. I'll be pissed if there is no season.
    I think the owners still have a blind loyalty to the Commisioner. If that remains the case, opening night is gone, and so is the season until at least the end of 2004.

happy as hell. always hated hockey, now sportscenter does not need to waste all the time on hockey highlights :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by ErIcBaRtOn54@Sep 23 2004, 05:34 PM
    happy as hell. always hated hockey, now sportscenter does not need to waste all the time on hockey highlights :lol:
    well that's odd because we all hate you.

Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Sep 24 2004, 11:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Sep 24 2004, 11:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ErIcBaRtOn54@Sep 23 2004, 05:34 PM
    well that&#39;s odd because we all hate you. [/b][/quote]

why you hate me?

Been a while since I posted to the NHL Forum. Just can&#39;t bear a long, drawn-out lockout. It&#39;s really very sad and I don&#39;t think hockey can rebound from this. It already generates so little revenue and interest.

The players are being unreasonable. It&#39;s time to bring in a third-party mediator to make a decision. The owners seem willing to compromise, the players are greedy.

TomShane
    What is this "hockey" you all speak of? Is it a game of some kind?

All Pro
    If the NHL was smart, they&#39;d admit their f ups and get rid of some teams.

Teams to consider:
    Phoenix (It&#39;s been almost 10 years since they left Winnipeg, which was a great hockey city. Even if The Great One is helping to run this team, they don&#39;t generate enough revenue and interest in the area to justify putting a team there.

Colombus: (If anything, should had stopped after Nashville, Atlanta, no reason Colombus should have a team)

Carolina: Like somebody else said, they enjoy hockey about as much as they enjoy filling out their tax forms. When you&#39;ve got Duke, UNC football, and the Panthers around, why the hell would anyone watch hockey here? Again, taking a team out of a great NHL market in Hartford, which had 97 percent in attendance and ticket sales prior to moving and put them in a stinkhole. Karmanos would have been better off sticking them in Detroit like he wanted to.

Atlanta: They tried it once with Calgary and it didn&#39;t work, why bring another team here. This team will stay only because it is owned by Ted Turner.

Florida hate to say this because they play 20 minutes from where I live and tickets are reasonably cheap, but they never get the type of support a northern team gets, especially in South Florida, where they even have a hard time supporting the Dolphins. They generate little interest by anyone largely because nobody can either recogonize or pronounce the names of anybody on the damn team. Either move the team out or get rid of them.

Only the Sharks and the Wild have done reasonable well as far as expansion teams. Putting a team in Minnesota was an absolute great idea. It&#39;s the biggest hockey state in the country and the team is one of the few successes of expansion.

The NHL will get better eventually but if they are gonna do it they need to get rid of Bettman.

Hall Of Fame
    You&#39;re right. And with the demographic changes, the Kings and Ducks may be one team too (and may be even 2)many in the LA market. The owners don&#39;t seem to get that if you eliminate 25+ NHL jobs and the minor league guys and draft picks for each of those teams, the salary of the average NHL player will by dint of supply and demand go down a whole bunch. Why anyone would have bought into this league which ash zero national TV revenue is amazing. Having 30 boring teams is a mistake. They could have a solid 22-26 team league. Anything more is now overkill.

And all of Betteman&#39;s whining about how many clubs are losing money is tiring. Losing money-fine -go out of business. A cap to protect owners from making moronic decisions about salaries is absurd. If they don&#39;t know what they&#39;re doing and their markets don&#39;t support their teams in the first place, all the cap rules in the wordl won&#39;t make them profitable.

And what&#39;s sadder still is that no one cares. if this was the NFL, NBA or MLB, that sotry would be everywhere. If the NHL thinks it was an afterhought before, it&#39;s gonna be much worse after this.

It is very possible the NHL will be forced to shrink after this Lockout ends (if it does). The league does not generate the fan level interest that Baseball, the NBA, or NFL does, and the TV revenues will not help them get back on their feet.

Contraction in a major sport may finally happen.

All League
    It really is sad being a hockey fan Columbus Day has been like the starting point of the season for the league and here it is and no media coverage mentioning about the lockout. Contraction is necessary to strengthen the remaining franchises and get out of cities that will not support a team. The players will never go for it probably because it will shrink available jobs in the short term outlook. You have to look at the long term for the survival of hockey.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Bugg@Oct 11 2004, 09:53 AM
    You&#39;re right. And with the demographic changes, the Kings and Ducks may be one team too (and may be even 2)many in the LA market. The owners don&#39;t seem to get that if you eliminate 25+ NHL jobs and the minor league guys and draft picks for each of those teams, the salary of the average NHL player will by dint of supply and demand go down a whole bunch. Why anyone would have bought into this league which ash zero national TV revenue is amazing. Having 30 boring teams is a mistake. They could have a solid 22-26 team league. Anything more is now overkill.

And all of Betteman&#39;s whining about how many clubs are losing money is tiring. Losing money-fine -go out of business. A cap to protect owners from making moronic decisions about salaries is absurd. If they don&#39;t know what they&#39;re doing and their markets don&#39;t support their teams in the first place, all the cap rules in the wordl won&#39;t make them profitable.

And what&#39;s sadder still is that no one cares. if this was the NFL, NBA or MLB, that sotry would be everywhere. If the NHL thinks it was an afterhought before, it&#39;s gonna be much worse after this.
    I completely forgot about Anaheim. Another joke of a franchise. The mere fact that they named a professional franchise after a friggin disney movie is just pathetic. Can em.

Bettman whines about losing money because it was him who put teams in cities that logic would tell you could not support a hockey franchise or would simply choose not to. If Bettman honestly thought he would get the sort of hockey interest places like Minnesota, Detroit, and New York get in places like Florida, Phoenix, and Carolina, then he is an idiot.

Hall Of Fame
    We all know the NHL was in trouble when what little tradition left was thrown out the door by dickhead Bettman when he renamed the conferences and divisions