Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Bush, Kerry not invited to charity dinner

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [b]Bush, Kerry not invited to charity dinner[/b]
    From Karina Saltman
    CNN
    Friday, September 17, 2004 Posted: 1:56 PM EDT (1756 GMT)

Neither President Bush nor Sen. John Kerry are invited to the annual Smith Foundation charity dinner.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Officials at the Archdiocese of New York have decided not to invite President Bush and Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry to the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner.

This year marks the second time since 1960 that the Democratic and Republican presidential candidates have not been asked to the annual charity dinner, which raises money for Catholic health-care services.

The dinner is scheduled for October 21 at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York.

"The tradition of the Smith dinner is to bring people together," said Joseph Zwilling, a spokesman for the archdiocese.

"Given that issues in this year's campaign could provoke division and disagreement that would detract from that spirit, it was felt best to proceed in a different direction, while maintaining all of the ideals and values of the dinner." (Special report: America Votes 2004)

Zwilling declined to comment further on what issues might provoke division.

In 1996, President Clinton was not invited because Cardinal John O'Connor criticized him for vetoing a bill that would have outlawed some late-term abortions.

Dinner organizers decided that they did not want to appear partisan by asking the GOP challenger, Sen. Bob Dole, to attend if the president was not invited.

The candidates' running mates, Vice President Al Gore and Rep. Jack Kemp, spoke in their places that year.

This year's speakers will be former President George H.W. Bush and former New York Gov. Hugh L. Carey, a Democrat.

Zwilling described them as "outstanding speakers who will provide a memorable and enjoyable evening to the guests at the dinner."

Speakers traditionally give talks that are "witty, humorous and self-effacing," Zwilling said.

Gen. Tommy R. Franks spoke at last year's dinner, which raised $1 million.

Alfred E. Smith was a four-term Democratic New York governor who in 1928 became the first Catholic to be nominated for president.

Kerry, who supports abortion rights, is the first Catholic since John F. Kennedy to win the presidential nomination of a major party.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is actually pretty significant in that this charity event is one of the more light-hearted events leading up to the election...I had been wondering what was going to happen if it went down....as a practicing Catholic I must also wonder how much of this has to do with the churches disdain for kerri.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Sep 17 2004, 02:07 PM
    [b] as a practicing Catholic I must also wonder how much of this has to do with the churches disdain for kerri. [/b][/quote]
    The Catholic Church doesn't have disdain for anyone.

In my opinion its unfortunate that the Archdiocese of New York chose not to invite the presidential candidates. In times like these the traditional good humored fellowship between these rivals at this dinner would have served a good purpose.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by valleyjet+Sep 18 2004, 09:57 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (valleyjet @ Sep 18 2004, 09:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Sep 17 2004, 02:07 PM
    [b] as a practicing Catholic I must also wonder how much of this has to do with the churches disdain for kerri. [/b][/quote]
    The Catholic Church doesn&#39;t have disdain for anyone.

[/b][/quote]
    As a church goer I don&#39;t even believe that. Ever read Bill Donohue&#39;s column??

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Sep 18 2004, 09:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY &#064; Sep 18 2004, 09:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by valleyjet@Sep 18 2004, 09:57 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Sep 17 2004, 02:07 PM

[/b][/quote]
    As a church goer I don&#39;t even believe that. Ever read Bill Donohue&#39;s column?? [/b][/quote]
    Last week&#39;s Gospel is a perfect example of the Church&#39;s teachings on the subject of forgiveness. And no, I don&#39;t read Mr. Donohue&#39;s columns.

Have you ever read the Encyclical Letters of John Paul II?

I&#39;ve read them all and clearly the overall theme of their message is reconciliation.

Here perhaps you might want to read them yourself?
    [url=http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/index.htm]http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_pau...icals/index.htm[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by valleyjet+Sep 18 2004, 10:08 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (valleyjet @ Sep 18 2004, 10:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Come Back to NY@Sep 18 2004, 09:59 AM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by valleyjet@Sep 18 2004, 09:57 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-Come Back to NY[/i]@Sep 17 2004, 02:07 PM

[/b][/quote]
    As a church goer I don&#39;t even believe that. Ever read Bill Donohue&#39;s column?? [/b][/quote]
    Last week&#39;s Gospel is a perfect example of the Church&#39;s teachings on the subject of forgiveness. And no, I don&#39;t read Mr. Donohue&#39;s columns.

Have you ever read the Encyclical Letters of John Paul II?

I&#39;ve read them all and clearly the overall theme of their message is reconciliation.

Here perhaps you might want to read them yourself?
    [url=http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/encyclicals/index.htm]http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_pau...icals/index.htm[/url] [/b][/quote]
    The church is run by man and as so is not infallable. Pick up a copy of the Catalyst one your way out if your Parish get them.