Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buchanan hits the bullseye on Rathergate

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b][SIZE=2]Dan Rather: The Final Days

Pat Buchanan[/SIZE][/b]

"I gave them a sword, and they ran it right through me," said Richard Nixon.

Thirty years later, Nixon nemesis Dan Rather might say the same of the blunders that are about to bring an inglorious end to his long career.

What -- other than a blind bias against George Bush rooted in animus or ideology, or an obduracy bred of arrogance and hubris -- can explain Rather's near-suicidal behavior since his "60 Minutes" segment aired over a week ago.

In that piece, Rather revealed four newly discovered memos from the "personal file" of Lt. Col. Jerry B. Killian, George W. Bush's squadron commander in the National Guard. The memos seemed irrefutable proof that Killian thought Bush a shirker whose defiance of orders was being protected by higher-ups like Col. "Buck" Stoudt.

Rather thought he had a story that could bring down a president. Instead, he has ravaged what remains of the reputation of CBS News and made of himself a cartoon caricature of liberal bias. His stonewalling defense of his Guard story will be studied in journalism schools alongside the frauds perpetrated by Jayson Blair and Janet Cooke.

How could Rather have been so stubborn and blind?

At least two experts consulted by CBS warned against going with the Guard story, saying there were "problems" with the memos. Within hours of the airing of the Rather piece, the web had exploded with bloggers saying the Times New Roman font and "superscript" letters "th" in "111th squadron" appeared to have come from a word processor.

By Thursday night, the story of the forged memos was all over the country. Killian's widow and son declared them fakes. Ben Barnes, who told Rather he used his influence to get Bush into the Guard, was being called a liar by his own daughter.

But the smoke alarms at CBS were not working. Friday, a defiant Rather went on air to denounce his critics as partisans and assert that CBS stood by its story.

Over the weekend, the Dallas Morning News reported that Stoudt had been out of the Guard for 18 months when he was supposed to be pressuring Killian.

Rather's hole card, the testimony of Gen. Bobby Hodges, then head of the Guard, that the memos were consistent with what Killian believed, turned out to be a deuce. Hodges claims that he was misled by CBS into thinking the Killian memos were handwritten.

Shown copies, he dismissed them as computer-generated frauds.

Yet on Monday, Rather, his memos a national joke, his experts and witnesses defecting and recanting, went on air to assert once again the memos were authentic and the president must address the Guard issues. "With respect, answer the questions," Rather thundered at Bush. "The longer we go without a denial of such things -- this story is true."

This was ludicrous. It is the prosecution that must prove a man guilty, not the accused who must prove himself innocent.

Rather's conduct remains inexplicable. Why would he risk his career on the authenticity of 30-year-old memos that CBS' own experts questioned and he apparently got from an inveterate Bush-hater who was demanding anonymity for his accusations?

Of what is CBS now palpably guilty? Certainly of stupidity and gullibility of Olympian proportions. Certainly of an obduracy at odds with any reportorial temperament. Certainly of a blind bias toward the president. Can anyone believe CBS would have clung this long to so patently falsified an attack on John Kerry?

Worse, CBS appears to have been complicit in a criminal conspiracy to use forged U.S. government documents to bring down a president. The man who passes counterfeit money he knows or suspects to be counterfeit is guilty of a felony. And CBS must have suspected it was using counterfeit documents to damage President Bush.

CBS has to take Rather off the air for the duration of this campaign if it is to even begin to restore its reputation and credibility. For where President Bush is concerned, Dan Rather has no credibility left.

An investigation must be conducted into who tried to affect an election and bring down a president using forgeries of federal documents. And Rather and the CBS executives and producers must testify against the hatchers of this rotten plot to which they were an indispensable party, or they, too, must stand trial as accomplices in the scheme.

Dan Rather likely saw himself striding to the podium of the Radio and TV Correspondents' Dinner to accept the profession's highest award for investigative journalism. Now he will be the principal object of mockery and ridicule from that same podium, should he dare to show up.

In a way, this is a tragedy. A flaw in a man's character, magnified by his position of preeminence, brings about his downfall and ruin. In Rather's case, it was pride and a blind hatred of the right that led him to commit a journalistic atrocity that will end up killing not the president's re-election, but his own reputation and career.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those who choose to dismiss the above as the rantings of a right-winger, I would like to remind you that Pat Buchanan is simply echoing the the sentiments of every responsible journalist in America ... left, center, and right

Every responsible journalist I have heard make comment on this sad saga, and I have heard or read too many to count, has basically echoed the sentiments expressed by Buchanan in one form or another .. EVERY RESPONSIBLE JOURNALIST .. left, center, and right

The essense being, Dan Rather is either a complete boob, a vicious partisan who has gone squarely in the tank for the Kerry campaign, or both {most likely being both} ... and he may even have knowingly been complicit in a crime {yes, forging or knowlingly distributing forged government documents is indeed a crime, and simply to protect one who forged government documents is obstruction of justice, but that bridge may be crossed soon enough by this arrogant boob}

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    who should I be more mad at?

Dan Rather for believing in forged documents (that led to what exactly?) or

George Bush for believing in bad intelligence (that led to the waste of hundreds of billions of dollars and the meaningless deaths of over 1000 US servicemen)?

i mean seriously, who has done more harm to the nation... Rather or Bush?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you continue to say that George Bush led us into this disaster of a war when enough Democrats voted FOR it? It wasn't the Bush administration, it was the American government.

Why did Viet Nam combat veteran John Kerry vote FOR the authorization of war in Iraq? I mean, didn't he learn anything in Viet Nam?

[url]www.votenader.org[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    congress never formally declared this war... voting for a war powers act, (based on sh-ty intelligence) is not the same thing.

the President conned this nation into going to war. Cheney and friends were on TV every day talking about how scary the WMD were and how this war would end quickly and how the Iraqi people would greet us with flowers, blah blah blah blah blah

even if what you say is true... who is more to blame for a poorly planned, poorly executed PRESIDENTAL POLICE ACTION (not a war) - the congress or the President?

the buck stops with Bush. He made the case that this war was vital for national security. Kerry's vote was a one-time occasion... Bush's running of the war was and is a day-to-day operation and it continues (poorly) as we speak. How can anyone equate 1 vote on 1 day to 2 years of constant incompetance?

i mean let's objectively look at the current situation: there are many cities that the US does NOT control in Iraq, we have essentially ceded them to the rebel forces... rebuilding is a joke as we spend more time bombing then rebuilding anything... over 250 Iraqis died last week alone... this is the success we should reward Bush with another term for? i don't think so... the best thing the president has going for him is that people would rather think about "rathergate" or some other bull**** then how bad the war is going.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, Bush didn't con me and he didn't con a lot of other people!

And he didn't con ALL the Democrats

I still don't understand how a combat veteran was conned, however!! Or maybe I do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    all you have to do is turn on the news (any news... even FoxNews), listen to the latest story on the "progress" in Iraq and you can see the con. Bush and Cheney conned the whole nation into believing that somehow taking over Iraq would make this country safer.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Sep 19 2004, 10:19 AM
    [b] who should I be more mad at?

Dan Rather for believing in forged documents (that led to what exactly?) or

George Bush for believing in bad intelligence (that led to the waste of hundreds of billions of dollars and the meaningless deaths of over 1000 US servicemen)?

i mean seriously, who has done more harm to the nation... Rather or Bush? [/b][/quote]
    Your point has some legitimacy bit, but it doesn't change the facts:

If Rather had knowledge that the documents were forged, but went ahead with them anyway, he is guilty of crimal fraud and attempted elections tampering. He must be removed from the air immediately and an investigation launched to uncover the facts behind this debacle. His potentially blatant biased dishonesty, given his position of power as a "non-partisan" newsman is disgusting and cannot be permitted to continue.

As for ol' GW, I would agree an special council investigation into the reasons behind his choices to persue war in Iraq, invading and occupying that nation, is also called for and appropriate. The American people were given a number of reasons for this war (WMD's, Links to AQ, and Iraq presenting a real threat to America), and none of these reasons have been proven true to date. Hence the shift to "Bringing Democracy to the Middle East" & "Saving Iraqi's from a Crual Man" as the NEW reason of the President and his people. Such a grevious lapse in intelligence must be explored and corrected, immediately. If reasons other than those given by the president were behind the war, and 9/11 was used to promote a war for reasons other than threats to America, then appropriate action should be taken by Congress to correct the situation ASAP.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    who would run this investigation of Rather?

warfish the bottom line is that dan rather works for CBS/Viacom... he's a commercial entity.

George Bush works for the American people.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt he intentionally tried to influence the election, knowing this was a fraud. But he allowed his desire [i]to want this to be true [/i] to overcome common sense-"P.O. Box 34567"?, the letter addressed to a retired CO? the obvious Word typing? His judge and jury are gathering now-Viacom management, pissed-off affiliates who want his ass gone so they stop losing eyeballs and ad money and Angry shareholders. And when they dump Rather on his butt in Midtown, that will be much worse for him and his ego than any DA could ever do.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Sep 19 2004, 01:10 PM
    [b]all you have to do is turn on the news (any news... even FoxNews), listen to the latest story on the "progress" in Iraq and you can see the con. Bush and Cheney conned the whole nation into believing that somehow taking over Iraq would make this country safer.[/b][/quote]
    I totally disagree.

I turn on the news and I hear Bush & Cheney spinning about the so called progress in Iraq.

Yet I hear NO Democrat of any kind of stature responding by simply stating the obvious that the war in Iraq is a complete disaster and has been for a long time.

Now six weeks from election day pinhead John Kerry is about to announce his epiphany that the war in Iraq is wrong and we should pull out. Well, you complete moron Kerry, when did you realize that???????????????????

How could a combat veteran from Viet Nam vote AGAINST the original Gulf War, FOR the current Iraq debacle, and AGAINST the $87 billion to support the military who are going to fight the war you just voted FOR??????????????????????????????

If I've quoted this once I've quoted this a thousand times:

"Democrats do a very good job of getting very bad Republicans elected President."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    no one ever said the democrats were easy to like... they aren't... and in many ways i hate Kerry, i hate the democrats...

at least they have a chance to win, which is more than anyone can say about Nader.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bitonti, you are a child. This story has nothing whatsoever to do with the Iraq War. This is about Dan Rather's and CBS' integrity. You are simply trying to steer the conversation away from that topic, towards one which you feel is damaging to Bush, since this topic has the unfortunate (for you) characteristic of being damaging to Bush's opponents at CBS.

Rather is full of it, and he was blatantly lying in an effort to influence the upcoming election. CBS and 60 Minutes have been doing as much, albeit less overtly and apparently without resorting to outright fraud, for quite a while now. For example, they trotted out interviews with people who wrote books that are critical of Bush and allowed no alternative viewpoints to run in the story, and didn't disclose that CBS' parent company are the books' publisher, etc.

This time, it has come back to bite them.

It has NOTHING to do with Iraq or WMD. You know that. Go start a thread about the Iraq War or Bush's handling of the war on terror if you have something to say about that.

Hugs 'n' Kisses,

5ever

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    who brought the relevancy police? B)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Sep 20 2004, 11:31 AM
    [b] who brought the relevancy police? B) [/b][/quote]
    That's a new one. Not bad, either. :lol:

What's up with the Pats-Jets tix, duder? Are you my huckleberry or what?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    no word yet... i guess that's not a good thing... sorry :(

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Sep 20 2004, 12:27 PM
    [b] no word yet... i guess that's not a good thing... sorry :( [/b][/quote]
    No worries buddy, I appreciate the efforts. I'll see what I can do....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Sep 19 2004, 10:45 AM
    [b] congress never formally declared this war... voting for a war powers act, (based on sh-ty intelligence) is not the same thing.

the President conned this nation into going to war. Cheney and friends were on TV every day talking about how scary the WMD were and how this war would end quickly and how the Iraqi people would greet us with flowers, blah blah blah blah blah

even if what you say is true... who is more to blame for a poorly planned, poorly executed PRESIDENTAL POLICE ACTION (not a war) - the congress or the President?

the buck stops with Bush. He made the case that this war was vital for national security. Kerry's vote was a one-time occasion... Bush's running of the war was and is a day-to-day operation and it continues (poorly) as we speak. How can anyone equate 1 vote on 1 day to 2 years of constant incompetance?

i mean let's objectively look at the current situation: there are many cities that the US does NOT control in Iraq, we have essentially ceded them to the rebel forces... rebuilding is a joke as we spend more time bombing then rebuilding anything... over 250 Iraqis died last week alone... this is the success we should reward Bush with another term for? i don't think so... the best thing the president has going for him is that people would rather think about "rathergate" or some other bull**** then how bad the war is going. [/b][/quote]
    You ungrateful ass. In post-9/11 world you cannot separate 1000 deaths from the close to 3000 dead in the awful terror attack , most of which RIGHT HERE IN NYC! How many attacks have happened since on American soil, how many deaths from Islamic extemists here? ZERO. Everyday non-Iraqi terrorists bite it in and around Baghdad, along with our guys.

Everyday is a gift and *******s like you who cheapen 1000 soldiers ultimate sacrifice so we can tailgate in relative safety at the Meadowlands, so we can work in Manhattan, are worthy of zero respect. ZERO. You're a wartime Democrat who wants only a regime change - nothing more and nothing less. The beautiful part is that NJ and NY are now "in play" for Bush.

Keep crying, keep whining - the US armed forces are protecting you.

"How bad the war is going"...you are a skunk. Lemme guess, you're still a patriot? You love your country? Right? When was the last time you talked to a US soldier on the ground there, to hear how bad the war is going? No, betcha haven't. Well, I have, and I believe that our troops there are loaded with men and women who are twice the patriot as you are.

But you don't mind relegated US casualties to fit your 'regime change' goal, to spread the erroneous poison that the war is going badly there. Vast swaths of Iraq are peaceful. The country is not in turmoil. There are hotspots of sympathetic populations being aided and whipped up by foreign Muslim troublemakers (Similar to bad parts of Northern Ireland, Ireland itself is fine). We're winning and we will win - despite the shrinking violets who relish the idea of failure. I'm embarrassed your a Jet fan.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by AlbanyJet[/i]@Sep 19 2004, 03:29 PM
    [b] ... by simply stating the obvious that the war in Iraq is a complete disaster and has been for a long time.

[/b][/quote]
    Retard: A "complete disaster" in war is losing it. Keep spinning your wheels little boy.

I can't believe the garbage I have to read here.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Retard: A "complete disaster" in war is losing it. Keep spinning your wheels little boy.

I can't believe the garbage I have to read here. [/b][/quote]

Then don't read it. We don't need your ignorant rants here anyway.