Thread: OT: Baseball Questions

When referring to a player as a "5 Tool" player....what are the 5 tools?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r:

The Yankees!!!!!

Honestly I have no idea what that means.

TomShane
    Hit for average
    Hit for power
    Running
    Throwing
    Catching

Practice Squad
    Hit for power
    Hit for average
    Speed
    Arm
    Fielding?

I think those are the five.

Maxman
    1. Hitting for average

2. Hitting for power

3. Speed

4. Strength of arm

5. Fielding

Maxman
    Originally posted by TomShane@Sep 22 2004, 08:43 AM
    Hit for average
    Hit for power
    Running
    Throwing
    Catching
    Catching? BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

He certainly is a 5 tool player. Just look at how he catches the ball. Right into the mitt. Amazing.

Met fans I tell ya.

All League
    Maxman - the Last two years catching and fielding have been foreign language to Met players.

Originally posted by jetsflagboyz@Sep 22 2004, 09:40 AM
    When referring to a player as a "5 Tool" player....what are the 5 tools?
    Five tools...

Jeter
    A-Rod
    Giambi
    Sheffield
    Kevin Brown

There's five major tools!

Eff the Bankee$!

TomShane
    Originally posted by Maxman+Sep 22 2004, 08:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Sep 22 2004, 08:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TomShane@Sep 22 2004, 08:43 AM
    Hit for average
    Hit for power
    Running
    Throwing
    Catching
    Catching? BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA&#33;&#33;&#33;

He certainly is a 5 tool player. Just look at how he catches the ball. Right into the mitt. Amazing.

Met fans I tell ya. [/b][/quote]
    LOL&#33; You&#39;re just mad because I had the answer and you baseball knucklheads had to look it up. Punks&#33; Then again, what would the Yankee fans know about a 5 tool player? You have Jason Giambi on your squad, who&#39;s a five-cycle player. :lol:

The 5 Tools for Met Players are

1. Cashing Checks
    2. Hiding the funds from baby-mamas
    3. Hamstring pulling
    4. Manager subversion
    5. Quitting

Maxman
    Originally posted by faba@Sep 22 2004, 08:48 AM
    Maxman - the Last two years catching and fielding have been foreign language to Met players.
    LOL.

It really is a lot to expect these guys to do both. In this age of specialties, can&#39;t we have one guy catch it and another one throw it in? I am sure the players union would go for that because it would create more jobs.

Maxman
    Ruben Rivera was talked about as being a 5 tool player for the Yankees. He could do everything on that list.

Turns out, he couldn&#39;t do any of them really well.

All League
    tools do not refer to statistical data (ie: "batting average") they refer to physical attributes

in a rush so I&#39;ll post more info later on

TomShane
    Originally posted by sneakizm@Sep 22 2004, 09:03 AM
    tools do not refer to statistical data (ie: "batting average") they refer to physical attributes

in a rush so I&#39;ll post more info later on
    Man, I can&#39;t wait. :lol:

All League
    You guys are forgetting that its not &#39;&#39;speed&#39;&#39; that is a tool. It&#39;s &#39;&#39;baserunning ability&#39;&#39;. There&#39;s a HUGE difference. You can have the speed of an olympic sprinter, but if you don&#39;t know HOW to steal a base, or HOW to take the extra base, you aren&#39;t considered a great baserunner. Willie Mays and Jackie Robinson weren&#39;t the FASTEST guys on the field, but they knew how to stretch singles into doubles, they knew how to time a jump on a steal, and knew where the ball would be going off the bat so they wouldn&#39;t be caught between bases on a ball that looks like it COULD be caught, but isn&#39;t.

Originally posted by Maxman@Sep 22 2004, 09:03 AM
    Ruben Rivera was talked about as being a 5 tool player for the Yankees. He could do everything on that list.

Turns out, he couldn&#39;t do any of them really well.
    All he&#39;s known for now is a big Caught Stealing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by faba@Sep 22 2004, 07:48 AM
    Make it the last 3 years. Pathetic. And it starts at the top with Freddy Wilpon.

Originally posted by Jetsfan80@Sep 22 2004, 11:16 AM
    You guys are forgetting that its not &#39;&#39;speed&#39;&#39; that is a tool. It&#39;s &#39;&#39;baserunning ability&#39;&#39;. There&#39;s a HUGE difference. You can have the speed of an olympic sprinter, but if you don&#39;t know HOW to steal a base, or HOW to take the extra base, you aren&#39;t considered a great baserunner. Willie Mays and Jackie Robinson weren&#39;t the FASTEST guys on the field, but they knew how to stretch singles into doubles, they knew how to time a jump on a steal, and knew where the ball would be going off the bat so they wouldn&#39;t be caught between bases on a ball that looks like it COULD be caught, but isn&#39;t.
    Mays and Robinson were&#39;nt exactly slow.

Lou Pinella was considered an excellent baserunner because he seemed to always know when to stretch a single into a double, and rarely was thrown out when taking an extra base on a hit, for example, going from 1st to third. But he was as slow as anything. Therefore, he fails the definitation of "speed" for consideration as a 5 tool player.