Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Muslim Groups Endorse Kerry

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b]Because its a newsday article they neglected to mention that the main reason muslims love Kerry is because he is weak on terrorism. [/b]

No backing for Bush among U.S. Muslims

By Carol Eisenberg
    Staff Writer

September 24, 2004

Four years ago, Dr. Faroque Khan of Jericho was won over by candidate George W. Bush's stand against racial profiling and detaining people on secret evidence.

Today the president of the Islamic Center of Long Island said he feels betrayed by the post-Sept. 11 Republican administration and will vote for anyone but Bush.

"No one feels safe anymore," said Khan. "To see a prominent Muslim educator like Yusuf Islam [formerly known as pop singer Cat Stevens] prevented from entering the country, says to all the moderate Muslims, 'You're all the same to us.'"

Khan is not alone in his view. American Muslims will vote overwhelmingly against Bush, largely as a result of anxiety over the erosion of civil liberties and the direction of the war on terror, according to a new poll conducted by Zogby International for Georgetown University's Muslims in the American Public Square (Project MAPS).

By 76 percent to 7 percent, Muslims leaned toward the Democrat ticket in the poll conducted between August and September, which had a 2.4 percent margin of error, said Zahid Bukhari, director of Project MAPS.

"This contrasts sharply with the 2000 election when Mr. Bush garnered 42 percent of the Muslim vote versus 31 percent for Democrat Al Gore," said Bukhari, referring to a Zogby/Project MAPS poll done in late 2001.

If those figures hold, Muslim voters could have a significant impact in key battleground states including Michigan, Florida and Ohio, where there are large Muslim communities, Bukhari and others say.

Four years ago, American Muslim organizations boasted that their strong endorsement for the Republican ticket had put it over the top in Florida, although African-American Muslims voted overwhelmingly for Democrat Al Gore.

The newest Zogby poll, however, shows that the anger and disillusionment with the current Republican administration is so great that the Muslim vote is largely unified. The Bush-Cheney ticket failed to capture even those voters who call themselves politically conservative; that group now favors Kerry by a ratio of 2-1, Bukhari said.

The No. 1 issue in the Muslim immigrant community is civil liberties and the belief that the USA Patriot Act has targeted Muslim Americans.

"We left our home countries because there was no justice, no due process rights, no freedom of thought," said Khurshid Khan of Briarwood, the principal of an Islamic school in Astoria who emigrated from India more than 25 years ago. "And now, slowly, slowly, it seems that America is becoming less concerned with civil rights and civil liberties.

"I do want America to be safeguarded from terrorists. But I know many innocent people who were targeted wrongly by the authorities, who had their homes searched and who were questioned."

Muqtedar Khan, a fellow at the Brookings Institution and a political science professor at Adrian College in Michigan, supported Bush in 2000. But he has little good to say about him now.

"This is an administration that makes no distinction between extremist and moderate Muslims," Khan said, citing the recent denial of a visa to moderate Islamic scholar Tariq Ramadan, who had been invited to teach at Notre Dame this year, and the barring this week of Yusuf Islam.

"There are a lot of reasons that Muslims tend to like Republicans," he said. "They're strong on family values. They support the death penalty. But on the issues that count now to Muslims, Bush is on the wrong side."

Iman Al-Hajj Talib Abdur-Rashid, leader of the mosque of Islamic Brotherhood in Harlem, said the Muslim American community is going through growing pains as an electoral force.

Like many African-American Muslims,he said he was outraged when largely immigrant-run Muslim groups endorsed Bush in 2000 without the input of indigenous Muslim groups. Next month, however, a new umbrella group, the American Muslim Taskforce on Civil Rights and Elections, which includes African-American Muslims, will meet to endorse a candidate, he said.

"Many of the Muslim immigrant organizations who organized the Bush endorsement in 2000 did so with a very naive understanding of how politcs works in America," he said. "I think a lot of those naive notions have been shattered by what has happened since."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your a bigot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your a naieve moron. You should be thankfull that there are people like me in power who recognize the threat we're facing. Oh, and by the way that only reason Bush got a bigger chunk of the Muslim vote in 2000 is because Lieberman the jew was on the Gore ticket.

Another thing to note is that while that group was organizing to endorse a candidate they didn't bother to condemn the recent beheadings in Iraq.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    you are actually a MORON...
    99% of Muslims are against terrorism..terrorists are KILLING Muslims..
    you think american muslims are happy that terrorism is being carried out with the Koran..

and by the way..BUsh is WEAK on terrorism...those who financed and planned 9-11 are still financing and planning...so get a clue..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Sep 24 2004, 08:28 AM
    [b] you are actually a MORON...
    99% of Muslims are against terrorism..terrorists are KILLING Muslims..
    you think american muslims are happy that terrorism is being carried out with the Koran..

and by the way..BUsh is WEAK on terrorism...those who financed and planned 9-11 are still financing and planning...so get a clue.. [/b][/quote]
    Your posts are so stupid as to not be worthy of response.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then why did you respond?
    Must be your macho tough guy "people like me" act. Save it douchebag, muslims are Americans too, thats what is great about this country.
    Condeming the beheadings has nothing to do with who they endorse for president.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    you think american muslims want america attacked!
    it's there backyard too a-hole....there's a billion muslims in the world...99.99% are God Fearing people who WILL not attack anyone!

the threat comes from Radicals...most muslims are NOT radicals...
    the threat comes from Bush attacking a country that was NOT radically Muslim...But boy oh boy..they are now!
    Thanks Bush!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The .01 number is a tad much. But most American Muslims just want the freedom to worship as provided by our founding fathers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Sep 24 2004, 08:46 AM
    [b] you think american muslims want america attacked!
    it's there backyard too a-hole....there's a billion muslims in the world...99.99% are God Fearing people who WILL not attack anyone!

the threat comes from Radicals...most muslims are NOT radicals...
    the threat comes from Bush attacking a country that was NOT radically Muslim...But boy oh boy..they are now!
    Thanks Bush! [/b][/quote]
    I disagree.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    99.9% of racist white people support Bush.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Sep 24 2004, 09:41 AM
    [b] 99.9% of racist white people support Bush. [/b][/quote]
    100% of terrorists support Kerry

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Sep 24 2004, 09:41 AM
    [b] 99.9% of racist white people support Bush. [/b][/quote]
    Democrat Senator Robery Byrd the former Grand Wizard of the KKK has endorsed Kerry for President.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey chief, how many terrotrists have you talked to about the election?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ShadeTree#55[/i]@Sep 24 2004, 09:53 AM
    [b] Hey chief, how many terrotrists have you talked to about the election? [/b][/quote]
    I spoke to Outsider the terrorist sympathizer. He supports Kerry. I also note the terrorist appeasers like Bitoni and Section support him as well. Hizbullah supports Kerry as well. I think Tereza donates to their cause.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    OSAMA BIN LADEN supports BUSH for re-election...
    why? It's quite simple..

august 6th, 2001...Bush receives breifing entitled.."BinLaden determined to attack inside the US....Using airplanes"...
    What does Bush do..He goes Hiking!

October 2001..after the success of 9-11, Bin Laden is surrounded in the mountains of Tora Bora....
    what does Bush do...HE allows Bin Laden and hundreds of other terrorists out the back door!

Bin Laden is in the mountanous terrain pn the pakistan/afghan border plotting.....
    What does Bush do..He starts planning a war against someone even Bin Laden despises!...
    Bush is an islamic radicals best friend..
    get a clue you hack!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is anybody with me in that I would love to see a conversation between bman and Shadetree? We could film it, and make PSAs, like the ones on NBC. "The more you know."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Thor99[/i]@Sep 24 2004, 11:24 AM
    [b] Is anybody with me in that I would love to see a conversation between bman and Shadetree? We could film it, and make PSAs, like the ones on NBC. "The more you know." [/b][/quote]
    It would be a great Bush campaign commercial.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by chiefst2000+Sep 24 2004, 12:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (chiefst2000 @ Sep 24 2004, 12:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Thor99[/i]@Sep 24 2004, 11:24 AM
    [b] Is anybody with me in that I would love to see a conversation between bman and Shadetree? We could film it, and make PSAs, like the ones on NBC. "The more you know." [/b][/quote]
    It would be a great Bush campaign commercial. [/b][/quote]
    Exactly.

&#39;This is your brain on Kerry&#39;

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Douchebags, just because I question your anti-muslim stance does not mean I am voting for Kerry.

Oh, I forgot, never question anything....Thats the way you like it right, no free thinking allowed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    as i mentioned earlier...If you are a Radical Muslim...YOu are a Friend of the Bush admin...

Radical Islam begins and ends in Saudi Arabia...99&#036; of al qeada financing begins and ends in Saudi Arabia...Wahhabism is taught and exported from Saudi Arabia..
    Yet Bush considers the Saudi Royal family members of HIS OWN family&#33; (see Bandar Bush)&#33;

Bin Laden has been forgotten..as has al qeada...

Bush supports terrorism