View Poll Results: who would you start?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Olerud

6 66.67%
  • Jason Giambi

1 11.11%
  • Tony Clark (wont happen but its an option)

2 22.22%

Thread: 1st basemen (playoff vote)

Banned
    who should be 1st basemen come playoff time in pinstripes?

I voted for Olerud at 1st Base ... but I could see Giambi at DH

Too me the tougher call is ... Giambi or Sierra at DH?

Sierra has been huge this season ... outstanding veteran SH with power from both sides of the plate

I definitely DH Sierra verses lefties ... maybe Giambi gets the call verses righties, if Joe likes his swing

Maxman
    That hit Sierra had tonight made me lean towards him. They should split the time over the next 8 games and play whoever seems to be hotter.

The thing is Giambi has been lights out in BP. So they think he is close. But I wouldn't count on him for a whole lot this offseason.

Originally posted by Maxman@Sep 25 2004, 12:28 AM
    That hit Sierra had tonight made me lean towards him. They should split the time over the next 8 games and play whoever seems to be hotter.

The thing is Giambi has been lights out in BP. So they think he is close. But I wouldn't count on him for a whole lot this offseason.
    Max, whatta ya think of my idea ... DH Sierra verses lefties and Giambi verses righties?

Maxman
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Sep 25 2004, 12:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Sep 25 2004, 12:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Maxman@Sep 25 2004, 12:28 AM

The thing is Giambi has been lights out in BP. So they think he is close. But I wouldn&#39;t count on him for a whole lot this offseason.
    Max, whatta ya think of my idea ... DH Sierra verses lefties and Giambi verses righties? [/b][/quote]
    That might happen. The only thing is it kind of eliminates Ruben&#39;s power. Over the last 3 seasons he has hit 39 home runs. 30 of them have come against righties.

Ruben is a streaky player. If he gots hot, he might get the nod everyday. Otherwise your scenario is more likely...Joe will go with the matchups.

Either way Jason Giambi can leave his glove at home. Because he is not going to sniff the field in the postseason. And if Jason plays and looks bad, he will be on a short leash.

Olerud for sure. he is the perfect postseason type hitter. a contact hitter, and a great fielder as well. giambi swings and misses too much, and he has 2 left feet at 1st base.