Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: WMD's smuggled out of Iraq?

  1. #1
    Sunday, Sept. 26, 2004 4:03 p.m. EDT

    Ex-CENTCOM No. 2: Intel Showed Iraq Smuggled Out WMDs

    Lt. Gen. Michael DeLong, who until last September was the number two in command of the Iraq war under Gen. Tommy Franks, revealed Sunday that U.S. military intelligence had determined that weapons of mass destruction were being smuggled out of the country as the U.S. prepared to invade.
    "I do know for a fact that some of those weapons went into Syria, Lebanon and Iran," Gen. DeLong told WABC Radio's Steve Malzberg, while discussing his new book, "Inside CENTCOM: The Unvarnished Truth About the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq."

    "Two days before the war, on March 17 [2003], we saw through multiple intelligence channels - both human intelligence and technical intelligence - large caravans of people and things, including some of the top 55 [most wanted] Iraqis, going to Syria," Gen. DeLong explained.

    "We also know that before then, they buried some of the weapons of mass destruction," he added. "There are also some in Lebanon and probably a small amount in Iran."

    The WMD smuggling operation didn't require large vehicles, the ex-general explained.

    "In order to transport their biological weapons, they could take their entire experimental weapons system in one or two suitcases - pretty easy to hide," he told Malzberg.

    As for Saddam's chemical weapons cache, his deputies could have fit them into "a van - probably one van or two vans and either bury it or drive it across one of the borders," DeLong said.

    Human intelligence, said the former number two CENTCOM chief, indicated that Saddam's deputies also "took billions of dollars with them when they went into Syria."

    It's no surprise that weapons buried in Iraq have yet to be uncovered. "Seven-eighths of the country is arid desert and it's the size of California. You could probably bury 100 Empire State Buildings in Iraq and not find them," the one-time CENTCOM deputy maintained.



    Nah, I thought Saddam would just keep them in the basement of his palace :rolleyes:

  2. #2
    [quote][b]"Two days before the war, on March 17 [2003], we saw through multiple intelligence channels - both human intelligence and technical intelligence - large caravans of people and things, including some of the top 55 [most wanted] Iraqis, going to Syria," Gen. DeLong explained. [/b][/quote]

    So ol' GW had the intelligence that many of the "Top 55 wanted" and the Iraqi WMD's were being moved OUT of Iraq, and into the waiting arms of terrorists in Syria, yet he still waited to start the war??? Lok like another example of the tactical stupidity of this administartion when it comes to waging war. IF you are going to do it (inavde Iraq), you damn sure don't announce it first, and you REALLY damn sure don't wait till the WMD's have already been smuggled out. Those errors in tactical decision making could (if this article can be belived) led to WMD's now being in the hands of terrorists.

    How can a backer of this Iraq war NOT be pissed that Bush had the intel, and still waited, allowing these WMD's into the hands of who knows? Blame the Libs all you like, Bush still made this call.

  3. #3
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Sep 26 2004, 05:12 PM
    [b] [quote][b]"Two days before the war, on March 17 [2003], we saw through multiple intelligence channels - both human intelligence and technical intelligence - large caravans of people and things, including some of the top 55 [most wanted] Iraqis, going to Syria," Gen. DeLong explained. [/b][/quote]

    So ol' GW had the intelligence that many of the "Top 55 wanted" and the Iraqi WMD's were being moved OUT of Iraq, and into the waiting arms of terrorists in Syria, yet he still waited to start the war??? Lok like another example of the tactical stupidity of this administartion when it comes to waging war. IF you are going to do it (inavde Iraq), you damn sure don't announce it first, and you REALLY damn sure don't wait till the WMD's have already been smuggled out. Those errors in tactical decision making could (if this article can be belived) led to WMD's now being in the hands of terrorists.

    How can a backer of this Iraq war NOT be pissed that Bush had the intel, and still waited, allowing these WMD's into the hands of who knows? Blame the Libs all you like, Bush still made this call. [/b][/quote]
    Nice spin, war

    Maybe this President could have acted quicker if the left in this country didn't turn the planned invasion of Iraq into a 12 month debate ... demanding the President first exhaust all other options ... demanding he allow the inspectors MORE TIME ... demanding he allows the U.N. MORE TIME ... demanding Congress be given MORE TIME to debate the issue ... MORE TIME, MORE TIME, MORE TIME ... that was the rallying cry of the American left

    Now you wanna turn around and blame the President for taking TOO MUCH TIME? :huh:

    Once again the treasonous left has put us all in danger ... scum that they are

  4. #4
    [quote][b]Nice spin, war

    Maybe this President could have acted quicker if the left in this country didn't turn the planned invasion of Iraq into a 6 month debate ... demanding the President first exhaust all other options ... demanding he allow the inspectors MORE TIME ... demanding he allows the U.N. MORE TIME ... demanding Congress be given MORE TIME to debate the issue ... MORE TIME, MORE TIME, MORE TIME ... that was the rallying cry of the American left

    Once again the treasonous left has put us all in danger ... scum that they are [/b][/quote]

    Spin. Seems we both like it.......

  5. #5
    ok so if Iraq's entire weapons program can be stuffed in a suitcase, then why we were we as a nation so concerns of WAREHOUSES full of WMD?

    the whole war is based on Bull**** and lies, and right now Americans are fighting Iraqi insurgents for energy policy, not national security.

    Oh yeah and one more thing we are doing a crap job of that too, with entire cities essentially under rebel control.

    What has Bush done to deserve a second term? seriously are Supporters of the president honest with themselves about the job he's done?

    bring em on???

    mission accomplished???

    the deficit???

    are you f--kin joking me? i don't like their music but the Dixie chicks were right the man is an embarassment... his entire cabinet is rife with crooks and corporate cronies of the highest order. It's sad that what George Bush sells is patriotism, cause he's doing this more harm than good in the long term...

  6. #6
    Tom The Nader Fan™
    Guest
    [img]http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~www.damnfunny.ie/msfart.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    dont take my word for it... Colin Powell on Iraq: "It's getting worse"

    [url=http://www.iht.com/articles/540626.html]http://www.iht.com/articles/540626.html[/url]

  8. #8
    Tom The Nader Fan™
    Guest
    [img]http://hebbs.ianlatus.co.uk/rotten.jpg[/img]

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,452
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Sep 26 2004, 04:12 PM
    [b][quote][b]"Two days before the war, on March 17 [2003], we saw through multiple intelligence channels - both human intelligence and technical intelligence - large caravans of people and things, including some of the top 55 [most wanted] Iraqis, going to Syria," Gen. DeLong explained. [/b][/quote]

    So ol' GW had the intelligence that many of the "Top 55 wanted" and the Iraqi WMD's were being moved OUT of Iraq, and into the waiting arms of terrorists in Syria, yet he still waited to start the war??? Lok like another example of the tactical stupidity of this administartion when it comes to waging war. IF you are going to do it (inavde Iraq), you damn sure don't announce it first, and you REALLY damn sure don't wait till the WMD's have already been smuggled out. Those errors in tactical decision making could (if this article can be belived) led to WMD's now being in the hands of terrorists.

    How can a backer of this Iraq war NOT be pissed that Bush had the intel, and still waited, allowing these WMD's into the hands of who knows? Blame the Libs all you like, Bush still made this call.[/b][/quote]
    C'mon. Stop making arguments like a 6 year old.

    Invading a country isn't exactly like playing golf. If you see a bad weather forecast for Wednesday, you can't just decide to go today.

    Besides, much of this data takes some amount of time to be analyzed.

    Do you think the trucks had [b]WMD's[/b] and [b]#7 of 55[/b] painted on top?

    Do you think before you make statements like

    [quote][b]
    Lok like another example of the tactical stupidity of this administartion when it comes to waging war. [/b][/quote]

    And who announced a date? Do you think someone might notice 120,000 men with supporting equipment getting into place without an "announcement"?

    How can any backer of Kerry who said there were no WMD's keep their opinion the same after news like this.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,452
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Sep 26 2004, 05:39 PM
    [b] What has Bush done to deserve a second term? seriously are Supporters of the president honest with themselves about the job he's done?
    [/b][/quote]
    He has shown the world that if you try and bomb the crap out of us, somebody will pay.

    Going back to Kerry's "Let's see what the UN feels" approach makes us the paper tiger we had slipped to previously.

  11. #11
    going to Iraq has made the world a more dangerous place..
    all of the inspectors KNEW Saddam had nothing..YES..He had NOTHING...He DID have intent and wmd's in the past..But clearly, compared to North Korea and Iran, Saddam was the weaker tyrant..

    But Bush has now tunned Iraq into a cesspool that will NOW be a haven for terrorists..
    stupid moronic cheney/bush/rumsfeld..
    The axis of stupidity

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    3,408
    [quote][b]How can any backer of Kerry who said there were no WMD's keep their opinion the same after news like this. [/b][/quote]

    How does this make anything clear? How do they know what was being smuggled over the border, especially when they said that it could fit in suitecases.

    Most likely anyone who could flee the country did. I would to if some rogue country like the US was going to invade my country. Do you seriously think these people cared about hiding WMDs?

    Say you are a high-ranking official in the Iraqi government and you know a war is comming that will destroy the regime. Fleeing the country would be a good idea and may be your only chance of survival. Would you seriously smuggle radio-active or chemical weapons with you? No you would be like F it, Saddam is a goner, I'm saving my own ass, taking my money and running.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    574
    [quote][i]Originally posted by pope[/i]@Sep 26 2004, 03:31 PM
    [b] Sunday, Sept. 26, 2004 4:03 p.m. EDT

    Ex-CENTCOM No. 2: Intel Showed Iraq Smuggled Out WMDs

    Lt. Gen. Michael DeLong, who until last September was the number two in command of the Iraq war under Gen. Tommy Franks, revealed Sunday that U.S. military intelligence had determined that weapons of mass destruction were being smuggled out of the country as the U.S. prepared to invade.
    "I do know for a fact that some of those weapons went into Syria, Lebanon and Iran," Gen. DeLong told WABC Radio's Steve Malzberg, while discussing his new book, "Inside CENTCOM: The Unvarnished Truth About the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq."

    "Two days before the war, on March 17 [2003], we saw through multiple intelligence channels - both human intelligence and technical intelligence - large caravans of people and things, including some of the top 55 [most wanted] Iraqis, going to Syria," Gen. DeLong explained.

    "We also know that before then, they buried some of the weapons of mass destruction," he added. "There are also some in Lebanon and probably a small amount in Iran."

    The WMD smuggling operation didn't require large vehicles, the ex-general explained.

    "In order to transport their biological weapons, they could take their entire experimental weapons system in one or two suitcases - pretty easy to hide," he told Malzberg.

    As for Saddam's chemical weapons cache, his deputies could have fit them into "a van - probably one van or two vans and either bury it or drive it across one of the borders," DeLong said.

    Human intelligence, said the former number two CENTCOM chief, indicated that Saddam's deputies also "took billions of dollars with them when they went into Syria."

    It's no surprise that weapons buried in Iraq have yet to be uncovered. "Seven-eighths of the country is arid desert and it's the size of California. You could probably bury 100 Empire State Buildings in Iraq and not find them," the one-time CENTCOM deputy maintained.



    Nah, I thought Saddam would just keep them in the basement of his palace :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    Whats the link for this article? Where is it from?

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    3,408
    [quote][b]Whats the link for this article? Where is it from? [/b][/quote]

    Dan Rather at CBS news. An informant sent him the chemical weapons. After further verification, however, it turned out to be Mr. Clean. Suspicions were raised after the informant told CBS he recieved the chemicals from a blad guy with an earing.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    574
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Sep 27 2004, 12:29 PM
    [b] [quote][b]Whats the link for this article? Where is it from? [/b][/quote]

    Dan Rather at CBS news. An informant sent him the chemical weapons. After further verification, however, it turned out to be Mr. Clean. Suspicions were raised after the informant told CBS he recieved the chemicals from a blad guy with an earing. [/b][/quote]
    Mr. Clean is probably a more reputable source than whatever webpage this came off

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us