Thread: Immigration-go ahead-drive drunk!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coming to a police department near you. And don't complain when some drunken Mexican kills someone you love-Oakland cops halt checks for DUIs

Activists say roadblocks unfair to unlicensed immigrants

By Heather MacDonald, STAFF WRITER

OAKLAND -- Oakland police officers have stopped setting up roadblocks to check whether drivers are under the influence because of a rash of complaints from the Latino community and City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente.
    The checkpoints, which allow officers to demand licenses and proof of insurance, are an effective way to get drunken drivers off Oakland's streets, city leaders agree. But the checks also have ensnared dozens of illegal immigrants who are not licensed to drive yet otherwise obey the law.

[i]"These checkpoints make people's lives miserable, not make them safer," said Jesus Rodriguez of Oakland Community Organizations, which filed most of the complaints about the checkpoints. "I've watched while the police have towed away cars (full) of groceries, leaving children crying on the sidewalk." [/i](Hey Jesus, how about not driving a car drunk with your kids in it?)

The complaints and pressure from De La Fuente, who represents the largely Latino Glenview-Fruitvale district and plans to run for mayor in 2006, prompted police Chief Richard Word to order his officers to hold off on any more DUI checkpoints while new guidelines are drafted.

"The checkpoints are a great tool for law enforcement," Word said. "We'll develop a better focus on drug hot spots and stopping sideshows."

However, the monthlong moratorium on checkpoints has outraged Councilmember Larry Reid, who calls the change a threat to public safety.

"It is absolutely insane to stop these checkpoints," Reid said. "I would not want to explain to a mother why we stopped doing these checkpoints when we know they work and her son or daughter was killed."

Reid also criticized elected officials for "micromanaging" the police department, although he did not single out De La Fuente for blame. Reid and De La Fuente recently worked together to propose a measure to raise taxes to hire more police officers.

The new guidelines, which are not final, may call for police to notify Latino community organizations of the time and location of coming checkpoints. The checkpoints will be held after the evening rush-hour commute and rotated throughout the city, officials said.

[i]"It's simple common sense," De La Fuente said. "You don't want to stop people going to or from work. If there are kids in the car, give someone an opportunity to call someone to pick up their kids rather than create chaos." [/i](Yes, drinking on your way to work-apparently, A MExican tradition brought to El Notre.)

Legislation that would have allowed illegal immigrants who submit to background checks to apply for a California driver's license was vetoed last week by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Both Word and De La Fuente supported the legislation.

While officers have some discretion, the cars of unlicensed drivers are usually towed. To get their cars back, owners must pay $125, plus any storage fees. That is a significant burden to many illegal immigrants, Rodriguez said.

Reid said he has little sympathy with Rodriguez's position.

"I don't care if they are illegal immigrants," Reid said. "They should not be driving on our streets without a license, without insurance. I expect the Oakland Police Department to do its job and get them off the street."

The council is expected to take up the issue at its Oct. 19 meeting.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    More anarachy, as the American people pay more attention to American Idol, than our nations unspoken problems.

This story is truely pathetic, but not suprising. I'm used to reading this type garbage, but this story does seem to take things to a new lowpoint!

I think this is good, from my prespective. Over 80% of Americans want this illegal alien mess done away with, but are somewhat "passive" regarding the issue. Stories like this could backfire on the "open borders" freaks, as Americans will see the true problems we will face if we continue to import these illegals for the sake of cheap-labor!

Want cheap labor, fools? Take the anarchy, crime, extra taxes and devasted communities that come with it :rolleyes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Insanity, pure and simple. How the hell have we let ourselves get to this point. For all the defense (devil's advocate mostly) I offer to the Liberals of this nation, this is a direct result of their policy of political correctness. And it is WRONG!!!

Can anyone stop the fall at this point? Both Bush and Kerry have extrememly liberal policies towards immigration and enforcememnt. So who can we turn to?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Untill voters are willing to make this a bread and butter issue we will never see true reform.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Until politicians stop being politicians and start doing the right thing, this will never end and only get worse. Stop playing the PC card guys and do whats right for once.

There was a time I would consider moving to California, but not in this day and age. What's next over there, letting kids sell drugs so these kids can help support their illegal immigrant families?

Disgraceful.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Sep 27 2004, 11:44 AM
    [b] Insanity, pure and simple. How the hell have we let ourselves get to this point. For all the defense (devil's advocate mostly) I offer to the Liberals of this nation, this is a direct result of their policy of political correctness. And it is WRONG!!!

Can anyone stop the fall at this point? Both Bush and Kerry have extrememly liberal policies towards immigration and enforcememnt. So who can we turn to? [/b][/quote]
    You are correct, but do you really think this can all be blamed on PC? Who allowed and continues to allow this influx of illegal workers? Who wants to give amnesty to these immigrants?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15+Sep 27 2004, 11:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Section109Row15 @ Sep 27 2004, 11:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warfish[/i]@Sep 27 2004, 11:44 AM
    [b] Insanity, pure and simple. How the hell have we let ourselves get to this point. For all the defense (devil&#39;s advocate mostly) I offer to the Liberals of this nation, this is a direct result of their policy of political correctness. And it is WRONG&#33;&#33;&#33;

Can anyone stop the fall at this point? Both Bush and Kerry have extrememly liberal policies towards immigration and enforcememnt. So who can we turn to? [/b][/quote]
    You are correct, but do you really think this can all be blamed on PC? Who allowed and continues to allow this influx of illegal workers? Who wants to give amnesty to these immigrants? [/b][/quote]
    GEORGE BUSH&#33;&#33; Its his fault&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some good news and sanity-Oakland mayor Jerry Brown overturned the ban.