Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blair apologises for Iraq mess..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blair Makes Partial Iraq Apology to Win Back Party

Tue Sep 28,12:33 PM ET World - Reuters

By Mike Peacock

BRIGHTON, England (Reuters) - Tony Blair (news - web sites) offered his Labour party on Tuesday a partial apology for waging war in Iraq (news - web sites), striving to pull Angry supporters behind him ahead of an election next year.

Reuters Photo

But as two more British soldiers died in Iraq and a hostage remained under threat of death, the prime minister's hopes of drawing a line under two years that have wrecked his public trust ratings are far from secure.

"The evidence about Saddam having actual biological and chemical weapons ... has turned out to be wrong," Blair told Labour's annual conference, his nearest yet to a "mea culpa."

"The problem is I can apologize for the information that turned out to be wrong but I can't, sincerely at least, apologize for removing Saddam," he said. "The world is a better place with Saddam in prison not in power."

Blair's speech was interrupted twice by protesters, one yelling that the prime minister "had blood on his hands," others opposing a planned ban on fox-hunting. They were bundled out of the hall.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was no apology son. Read the article.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    well then he's just a liar like Bush..
    BECAUSE NEVER did they ever say "well Saddam is a bad guy..let's remove him"..

They both said that Saddam is an Imminent threat who has STOCKPILES of wmd's and has reconstituted his nuclear program..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Sep 28 2004, 02:47 PM
    [b] well then he's just a liar like Bush..
    BECAUSE NEVER did they ever say "well Saddam is a bad guy..let's remove him"..

They both said that Saddam is an Imminent threat who has STOCKPILES of wmd's and has reconstituted his nuclear program.. [/b][/quote]
    Kerry said the same thing. Clinton said the same things. The CIA said the same things.. Whats your point?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    my point is Bush is barely qualified to coach a HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL TEAM..This moron went to war for no reason except securing iraqui oil contracts and now 1000 US soldeirs are dead and the iraq will be a mess for years to come.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The war was right.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    shadetree..
    knowing now what most people knew back in 02..That there were no WMD's and that the threat of Iraq was EXaggerated by bush/cheney...you still think it's the right choice?

I would rather have a weaponless Saddam putting fear in all those shiite fanatics than the terror breeding ground that Iraq is now..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Sep 28 2004, 03:27 PM
    [b] shadetree..
    knowing now what most people knew back in 02..That there were no WMD's and that the threat of Iraq was EXaggerated by bush/cheney...you still think it's the right choice?

I would rather have a weaponless Saddam putting fear in all those shiite fanatics than the terror breeding ground that Iraq is now.. [/b][/quote]
    I would rather be taking the fight to the terrorists rather then waiting for the terrorists to take the fight to us.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the terrorists weren't in Iraq..
    you can take the fight to the terrorists w/o invading a country with 150,000 troops killing 30,000 innocent iraquis and spending 200 billion dollars!
    that hasn't lessened the threat to the US at all....
    One can argue that it has made the threat even greater!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Sep 28 2004, 03:01 PM
    [b] my point is Bush is barely qualified to coach a HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL TEAM..This moron went to war for no reason except securing iraqui oil contracts and now 1000 US soldeirs are dead and the iraq will be a mess for years to come. [/b][/quote]
    No, jerk, your point was Blair apologizes. You were proved wrong in a jiffy and now your point is - what?

This isn't debate in here, it's just you being a bit of an ass. Bush polled yet stronger again today, so you know.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    uhh..Blair did apologise for the wrong info about wmds..also know as lies.

OK you little sackdancing jerk.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Sep 28 2004, 04:31 PM
    [b] uhh..Blair did apologise for the wrong info about wmds..also know as lies.

OK you little sackdancing jerk. [/b][/quote]
    bman, what is your definition of a lie?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Sep 28 2004, 03:01 PM
    [b] my point is Bush is barely qualified to coach a HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL TEAM..This moron went to war for no reason except securing iraqui oil contracts and now 1000 US soldeirs are dead and the iraq will be a mess for years to come. [/b][/quote]
    you are barely qualified to teach a 1st grade class on spelling.

Try making a rational post every once in a while except repeating the same junk over and over again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    They left out these parts of Blair's speech in support of the war and Bush-

"If you take [this]view, you don't believe the terrorists are in Iraq to liberate it. They're not protesting about the rights of women - what, the same people who stopped Afghan girls going to school, made women wear the Burka and beat them in the streets of Kabul, who now assassinate women just for daring to register to vote in Afghanistan's first ever democratic ballot, though four million have done so? They are not provoked by our actions; but by our existence. They are in Iraq for the very reason we should be. They have chosen this battleground because they know success for us in Iraq is not success for America or Britain or even Iraq itself but for the values and way of life that democracy represents. They know that. That's why they are there. That is why we should be there and whatever disagreements we have had, should unite in our determination to stand by the Iraqi people until the job is done.

When I hear people say: "I want the old Tony Blair back, the one who cares", I tell you something. I don't think as a human being, as a family man, I've changed at all. But I have changed as a leader. I have come to realise that caring in politics isn't really about "caring". It's about doing what you think is right and sticking to it. So I do not minimise whatever differences some of you have with me over Iraq and the only healing can come from understanding that the decision, whether agreed with or not, was taken because I believe, genuinely, Britain's future security depends on it. There has been no third way, this time. Believe me, I've looked for it."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Sep 28 2004, 01:42 PM
    [b]

"The evidence about Saddam having actual biological and chemical weapons ... has turned out to be wrong," Blair told Labour's annual conference, his nearest yet to a "mea culpa."

[/b][/quote]
    Are you serious? You're going to use this article that doesnt even fully quote the man. Yes, when read quickly it looks like he directly saying that biological and chemical weapons info is wrong. But since I know you've never read a grammar book, did you notice the "..." in between? He couldve said anything in between; ANYTHING!

God, this is getting so pathetic. I dont know even know why I respond to this kid's posts; its just the same BS with a different color.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i will say this much - IRaq is not a vietnam in numbers, but it is a vietnam in model: the unwinnable, undeclared conflict

people that don't want our help on the ground...

2 years from now Iraq could be worse than Afghanistan is, turns out Saddam and his sons actually understood his people - the only thing they respect is fear and brutality.

right now there are literally a dozen whole cities that are under "insurgent" control

im sorry people but reality is what it is... when there is still fighting and killing 9 months after the mission has been declared accomplished, that's not a sign of a well run war. Colin Powell is retiring, Rumfeld is on the way out, do we really want Condi Rice: Sec of Defense??? :blink:

what's funny to me is that many of those who leap on the JETS administrative Throats (Fire Herm, Maim Terry, Kill Hackett...et cetera) are willing to give the GOP team head coach chance after chance after chance... real lives on the line, no problems, no questions asked.

What's that all about? Seriously I want to know...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Sep 28 2004, 02:42 PM
    [b] "The evidence about Saddam having actual biological and chemical weapons ... has turned out to be wrong," Blair told Labour's annual conference, his nearest yet to a "mea culpa."

[/b][/quote]
    Last night on John Batchelor's show, John Loftus made note of the fact that Prime Minister Blair left out the third word that usually goes with "biological and chemical weapons." Why no mention of the word, "nuclear?" While he is a life-long Democrat, he is also a staunch supporter of the war - he seems to be thinking that there is going to be some sort of "October Surprise."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by edcopp[/i]@Sep 29 2004, 11:10 AM
    [b] Why no mention of the word, "nuclear?" [/b][/quote]
    cause there was nothing even remotely similar to real nukes in Iraq... :blink:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The War may have been "Morally" right, which can be debated, but the TIMING & TACTICS were atrocious, plain and simple.

The U.S. should have waited and finsihed the Job in Afaganistan before making ANY other offensive moves. Afaganistan should have been a safe, settled, democratic nation with a clear cut power structure, police force and "self-defense army" before we made any other moves.

We could then have turned our attention to Iraq (or more realisticly, to Iran, by FAR the greater ACTUAL threat to the USA and US interests, given their active and progressing Nuclear capabillity). With Afganistan safe and secure, we could have put our FULL ATTENTION on Iraq or Iran, changing (potentially) the tactics utilized there.

In addition, the doctrine of "Fight but Don't Offend" is rediculous. If the Terrorists are in a Mosque, then take out the Mosque. You do not, in a real war, leave your enemy safe and secure inside the religious structures. This isn't "Highlander" for goodness sake.

It is the invasion and occupation that is creating the ammor for the Islamo-facists to increase their numbers through religious war. Bombing the Mosques ins't going to make that fact any worse than it already is. So IF you are going in, then go in all the way not this half-arsed pantywaisted way we are doing it. Doesn;t anyone remember Vietnam??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Sep 29 2004, 02:15 PM
    [b] Doesn;t anyone remember Vietnam?? [/b][/quote]
    it's debateable... the last time i checked the "did we lose vietnam" poll it was about 11 yes 4 No I don't know 2... 4 people who regularly post here believe we won vietnam...