Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Have Seen the Light!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well friends, I have finally seen the Light. The Liberal Scum Must Be Destoyed!!!!

As many of you know, I live in Northern VA, very close to Washington D.C. And, as I am sure you've heard by now (being sportsfans and all), the Montreal Expos are being relocated to Washington D.C., bringing Baseball back to Washington after a 33 year (and completely unwarranted) Hiatus.

Well, I get to work this morning and read a bit of what the Washington Democrat, er, Post, has to say about this GREAT AMAZING AND WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!

Yea, I shouldn't have bothered. The Paper, even the damn sports section, was full of standard liberal crap about how the Stadium won't be good for the City, the Team is worthless to the po' po' children of the City, how the Rich get richer and the po' get poorer. Whine about this, whine about that, ***** about the cost, and of course, the ever present Liberal cheer "WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN".

That is it. forget my previous "Devil's Advocate" defense of Democrats and Liberals. While many of you think I am one myself, I assure you I was not, only a debater who liked to defend the weak (the Libs) from the Strong (The Cons), at least here on the board. But now......now they must be destroyed.

Let me say this.......if the evil DemoRats do ANYTHING that screws up getting baseball back in D.C., like killing the new stadium deal the relocation hinges upon, I will vote against EVERY SINGLE DEMOCRATIC ISSUE for the remainder of my life.

THE WASHINGTON SENATORS WILL RISE AGAIN OR THE LIBERALS WILL FEEL MY WRATH!!!!!!!

Note: Some of you may wonder why, since I am a DIE AHRD Jets Fan who lived for most of the first 15 years of my life on Long Isalnd, why I don;t like the Yanks or Mets. Teh answer is simple, I was too busy playing baseball to follow baseball in the pro's. I was a player all the way through college (injury felled me, like so many others). So by the time I founf time to actually be a fan of baseball, I was already a D.C. area resident for 10 years. At that point, even though I had seen the Mets a number fo times (but never the Yanks), I just couldn;t bring myself to like either NY team. I wanted a local team to root for (since I DESPISE the Redskins, and really could care less about the NBA or NHL in any event). So I became one of the chorus rcalling for the return of baseball to Washington.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you Fisher! Now, subscribe to National Review!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am liberal, I live in D.C., and I support baseball in D.C. I too am outraged by the protests to the funding for the stadium. The financing will come 100% from buisness taxes.

I do like the fact that the mayor said he is not in favor of calling the team the Senators since D.C. has no senators.

I have been in contact with my councilmemeber who I know pretty well. I have been pushing for his support and I am confident he is on board with the plan.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]I am liberal, I live in D.C., and I support baseball in D.C. [/b][/quote]

If that is true, then show your pride my friend: Put THIS as you New Avatar, at least for a little while.......[url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/uploads/av-1539.jpg[/url] (It's the Washington Senators Hat in my own Avatar). You need a non-political avatar anyway (come on, this IS a Sports Board after all....and you still have your Political Sig.)

As for the name, the Senators played in Washington for 71 Years. That is the kind of history you do not simply throw aside over a political issue. 90% of the area supports "Senators" as the teams name. Anything else would be for political reasons only ("Grays" for the Negro League team, NOT Senators because of D.C. whining). And I am sick and tired of politics messing with my sports!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]If that is true, then show your pride my friend: Put THIS as you New Avatar, at least for a little while.......[url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/uploads/av-1539.jpg[/url] (It's the Washington Senators Hat in my own Avatar). You need a non-political avatar anyway (come on, this IS a Sports Board after all....and you still have your Political Sig.)

As for the name, the Senators played in Washington for 71 Years. That is the kind of history you do not simply throw aside over a political issue. 90% of the area supports "Senators" as the teams name. Anything else would be for political reasons only ("Grays" for the Negro League team, NOT Senators because of D.C. whining). And I am sick and tired of politics messing with my sports!
    [/b][/quote]

Maybe it is not a big deal for you since you have representation in Virginia. I feel strongly about dc voting rights, and I do not support naming the team The Senators. I don't particularly like the The Grays either, but it is more fitting.

As for my avatar, not until after November 2nd.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Sep 30 2004, 09:48 AM
    [b] [quote][b]If that is true, then show your pride my friend: Put THIS as you New Avatar, at least for a little while.......[url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/uploads/av-1539.jpg[/url] (It's the Washington Senators Hat in my own Avatar). You need a non-political avatar anyway (come on, this IS a Sports Board after all....and you still have your Political Sig.)

[/b][/quote]

Maybe it is not a big deal for you since you have representation in Virginia. I feel strongly about dc voting rights, and I do not support naming the team The Senators. I don't particularly like the The Grays either, but it is more fitting.

As for my avatar, not until after November 2nd. [/b][/quote]
    What, exactly, does the name of a baseball team have to do with DC voting rights?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Sep 30 2004, 11:56 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Sep 30 2004, 11:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Sep 30 2004, 09:48 AM
    [b] [quote][b]If that is true, then show your pride my friend: Put THIS as you New Avatar, at least for a little while.......[url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/uploads/av-1539.jpg[/url] (It&#39;s the Washington Senators Hat in my own Avatar). You need a non-political avatar anyway (come on, this IS a Sports Board after all....and you still have your Political Sig.)

As for the name, the Senators played in Washington for 71 Years. That is the kind of history you do not simply throw aside over a political issue. 90% of the area supports "Senators" as the teams name. Anything else would be for political reasons only ("Grays" for the Negro League team, NOT Senators because of D.C. whining). And I am sick and tired of politics messing with my sports&#33;
    [/b][/quote]

Maybe it is not a big deal for you since you have representation in Virginia. I feel strongly about dc voting rights, and I do not support naming the team The Senators. I don&#39;t particularly like the The Grays either, but it is more fitting.

What, exactly, does the name of a baseball team have to do with DC voting rights? [/b][/quote]
    Calling the team The Senators, when the District of Columbia where the team plays does not have any Senators is the issue.

D.C. has been fighting an antiquated law that bars D.C. from having any representation in the House or Senate. The law was enacted when the borders were much smaller and the population effected was very minimal. Most of the population was made up of out-of-state people working for the government. Right now D.C. has over 500,000 people. The population is higher than some states.

The worst part is that the Federal Government handles D.C.&#39;s budget. The budget never gets passed on time because it is usually attached as a rider to some other rediculous legislation. Therefore, D.C.&#39;s bonds have a very poor rating since there is little confidence. Add to that, the Federal Government is the largest real estate owner in D.C. and they pay no taxes, George Washington University is the second largest land holder and they pay no taxes as well.

The situation is a mess, but it won&#39;t change anytime soon since D.C. typically votes about 90% democrat in the presidential election. Another tidbit is that by law D.C. has the same number of electoral votes as the smallest state in the union regardless of population.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a perfect example of what I&#39;m talking about.

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60034-2004Sep29.html]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2004Sep29.html[/url]

House Votes to Repeal D.C. Gun Limits
    City Leaders Upset, But Senate Passage Is Deemed Unlikely

By Spencer S. Hsu
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, September 30, 2004; Page B01

The U.S. House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved a bill yesterday repealing most of the District&#39;s gun laws, in a vote that handed an election-season victory to gun rights groups and was denounced by the city&#39;s leaders as a historic violation of home rule.

By a vote of 250 to 171, the House passed the D.C. Personal Protection Act, which would end the District&#39;s 1976 ban on handguns and semiautomatic weapons, roll back registration requirements for ammunition and decriminalize possession of unregistered weapons and possession of guns in homes or workplaces.

The bill also would prohibit the mayor and D.C. Council from enacting gun limits that exceed federal law or "discourage . . . the private ownership or use of firearms."

The measure now goes to the Senate, where it has almost no chance of passing. With little more than a week before Congress recesses for the fall campaign, only major legislation and uncontroversial measures are likely to reach the floor, Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) has indicated.

But gun rights groups plan to use the House vote in campaign literature to mobilize supporters.

Rep. Mark Edward Souder (R-Ind.), the bill&#39;s sponsor, called the vote a bipartisan victory for District residents&#39; constitutional right to bear arms. During an hour-long debate, Souder and his allies referred to Washington as the "nation&#39;s murder capital" more than a dozen of times, arguing that the city&#39;s homicide rate shows that its restrictions on guns are ineffective.

Bill supporters note that the D.C. homicide rate was 72 percent higher in 2001 than it was in 1976, while the national rate had dropped by 36 percent. Opponents say that the D.C. rate is at a 20-year low and has fallen 55 percent since 1994.

"The D.C. handgun ban . . . has failed miserably. This bill is demanded by the people of the United States," Souder said. "Only the District of Columbia prohibits a person from having a firearm assembled and loaded at home for the purpose of self-defense."

Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.) assailed the "ludicrous logic . . . that gun safety laws cause murders" and said the vote amounted to political grandstanding. She and other opponents of the bill said increasing the supply of guns would undermine homeland security initiatives, lead to more bloodshed in a city in which 16 children have been shot to death this year and trample the unanimous will of the District&#39;s elected leaders, police chief and school superintendent.

"I have seen various members of Congress try to do some low-down, dirty, mean things to the people of the District of Columbia, all to promote their own political agendas against the will of the people who live here," Norton said. "That we are here discussing this matter is yet a new low."

Rep. Thomas M. Davis III (R-Va.) also spoke against the bill, noting that 97 percent of the guns used in crimes in the District come from beyond the city borders. "No one should question the importance of keeping fully loaded assault weapons off the streets of the District," Davis said. "There is an important place for debate on D.C. gun laws -- that is in the chambers of the D.C. Council, not the Congress."

Voting for the bill were 198 Republicans and 52 Democrats. Opposed were 148 Democrats, 22 Republicans and one independent.

In a sign of how the politics of gun control have changed in Congress, the vote was almost the opposite of a 1999 House attempt to repeal the District&#39;s gun laws, which failed 250 to 175. Thirty-four House members -- 24 Republicans and 10 Democrats -- who voted five years ago to preserve the city laws switched sides and co-sponsored Souder&#39;s bill.

They include Rep. Charles W. Stenholm (D-Tex.), locked in a tough battle in a redrawn district; Rep. Deborah Pryce (Ohio), now chairman of the House GOP conference; and Rep. Anne M. Northup (R-Ky.), who represents a swing district based in Louisville.

"For House Democrats sitting in rural or conservative districts who are worried about being labeled as culturally out of step with their districts, this is their one opportunity to make a vote on the gun issue and cement their image among voters," said Amy Walter, House elections analyst for the Cook Political Report in Washington.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read that the Texas Rangers own the rights to the name "Senators" so a deal would have to be struck if DC wanted that name.

How about the Washington Lobbyists... :D :D

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Calling the team The Senators, when the District of Columbia where the team plays does not have any Senators is the issue.
    [/b][/quote]

Actually, D.C. has 100 Senators. Fact is, D.C. was never designed nor meant to be a place people actually lived. That is what Southern Maryland and Northern VA is for, and BY FAR the most people who will go to games and support this team economically will be from MD and VA, not D.C. itself.

Sorry my friend, but this law has been in existence forever, and people who move someplace, then complain about what it&#39;s like there, annoy the crap out of me. It&#39;s like folks who buy a home right next to the railroad tracks.....then complain ato and sue the Railroad to stop the noise/horns/train traffic going by. It smacks of egotism.

You want voting rights and representation? Fine, move to VA or MD. Simple as that. If this was such an issue, you should have been aware of it when you moved INTO D.C. (or if your parents moved to D.C. if you were born there).

And the real point is this: Baseball is NOT POLITICS. The name of the team should not be absed on ANY political war or issue, regardless of the rightness of the issue itself. The Senators played IN D.C. for 71 years, and that is the only fact that matters. You simply do not flush 71 years of history down the crapper over current day political whining.

I support D.C. getting some representation, but I will NOT support using the new team as a bargaining chip in that debate.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15+Sep 30 2004, 10:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Section109Row15 @ Sep 30 2004, 10:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by jets5ever@Sep 30 2004, 11:56 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Sep 30 2004, 09:48 AM
    [b] [quote][b]If that is true, then show your pride my friend: Put THIS as you New Avatar, at least for a little while.......[url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/uploads/av-1539.jpg[/url] (It&#39;s the Washington Senators Hat in my own Avatar). You need a non-political avatar anyway (come on, this IS a Sports Board after all....and you still have your Political Sig.)

As for the name, the Senators played in Washington for 71 Years. That is the kind of history you do not simply throw aside over a political issue. 90% of the area supports "Senators" as the teams name. Anything else would be for political reasons only ("Grays" for the Negro League team, NOT Senators because of D.C. whining). And I am sick and tired of politics messing with my sports&#33;
    [/b][/quote]

Maybe it is not a big deal for you since you have representation in Virginia. I feel strongly about dc voting rights, and I do not support naming the team The Senators. I don&#39;t particularly like the The Grays either, but it is more fitting.

What, exactly, does the name of a baseball team have to do with DC voting rights? [/b][/quote]
    Calling the team The Senators, when the District of Columbia where the team plays does not have any Senators is the issue.

D.C. has been fighting an antiquated law that bars D.C. from having any representation in the House or Senate. The law was enacted when the borders were much smaller and the population effected was very minimal. Most of the population was made up of out-of-state people working for the government. Right now D.C. has over 500,000 people. The population is higher than some states.

The worst part is that the Federal Government handles D.C.&#39;s budget. The budget never gets passed on time because it is usually attached as a rider to some other rediculous legislation. Therefore, D.C.&#39;s bonds have a very poor rating since there is little confidence. Add to that, the Federal Government is the largest real estate owner in D.C. and they pay no taxes, George Washington University is the second largest land holder and they pay no taxes as well.

The situation is a mess, but it won&#39;t change anytime soon since D.C. typically votes about 90% democrat in the presidential election. Another tidbit is that by law D.C. has the same number of electoral votes as the smallest state in the union regardless of population. [/b][/quote]
    The are more Senators in DC than any other place in the entire USA, Section. I mean, physically, in the space DC occupies...regardless of who they "represent." You may or may not have valid greivances about DC&#39;s circumstances, but this is a childish way of airing them, IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder how many 49&#39;ers are left in San Francisco :blink:

Fisher, Its good that you seem to finally be seeing the light.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Sep 30 2004, 12:18 PM
    [b] [quote][b]Calling the team The Senators, when the District of Columbia where the team plays does not have any Senators is the issue.
    [/b][/quote]

Actually, D.C. has 100 Senators. Fact is, D.C. was never designed nor meant to be a place people actually lived. That is what Southern Maryland and Northern VA is for, and BY FAR the most people who will go to games and support this team economically will be from MD and VA, not D.C. itself.

Sorry my friend, but this law has been in existence forever, and people who move someplace, then complain about what it&#39;s like there, annoy the crap out of me. It&#39;s like folks who buy a home right next to the railroad tracks.....then complain ato and sue the Railroad to stop the noise/horns/train traffic going by. It smacks of egotism.

You want voting rights and representation? Fine, move to VA or MD. Simple as that. If this was such an issue, you should have been aware of it when you moved INTO D.C. (or if your parents moved to D.C. if you were born there).

And the real point is this: Baseball is NOT POLITICS. The name of the team should not be absed on ANY political war or issue, regardless of the rightness of the issue itself. The Senators played IN D.C. for 71 years, and that is the only fact that matters. You simply do not flush 71 years of history down the crapper over current day political whining.

I support D.C. getting some representation, but I will NOT support using the new team as a bargaining chip in that debate. [/b][/quote]
    Are Virginia or Maryland paying for the stadium?

Your assertion that I should move somewhere else is almost as pathetic as the people that response to people angered by the current president to "move to France."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]The are more Senators in DC than any other place in the entire USA, Section. I mean, physically, in the space DC occupies...regardless of who they "represent." You may or may not have valid greivances about DC&#39;s circumstances, but this is a childish way of airing them, IMO.
    [/b][/quote]

What is more childish the fact that D.C. license plates say "Taxation Without Representation," or the fact that when W took office, on his innaguration, he ordered the driver of his vehicle to remove the D.C. plates from the car he was in?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Your assertion that I should move somewhere else is almost as pathetic as the people that response to people angered by the current president to "move to France." [/b][/quote]

No, what is pathetic is Partisan politicians using the great news of OUR (the Regions) new team as a political chip in a debate like this. That is immature and inappropriate, plain and simple.

By the way, mock NoVA and SoMD all you like, without us, D.C. is an empty shell with a whole lot of NO MONEY&#33; :P

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Are Virginia or Maryland paying for the stadium?[/b][/quote]

Now that I think about....YES WE ARE&#33;&#33;&#33; One of the primary funding methods is taxation of Stadium Users, primarily NoVA and SoMD residents of affluence. So yes, in a direct way, we ARE paying for a good chunk of the Stadium&#33;

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Call em the Washington Monicas, because they&#39;re going to suck.

Seriously, they&#39;ll probably name them the Nationals, which was the Senators original name. Works for a National league team...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Sep 30 2004, 10:30 AM
    [b] [quote][b]The are more Senators in DC than any other place in the entire USA, Section. I mean, physically, in the space DC occupies...regardless of who they "represent." You may or may not have valid greivances about DC&#39;s circumstances, but this is a childish way of airing them, IMO.
    [/b][/quote]

What is more childish the fact that D.C. license plates say "Taxation Without Representation," or the fact that when W took office, on his innaguration, he ordered the driver of his vehicle to remove the D.C. plates from the car he was in? [/b][/quote]
    What does a licence plate or Bush&#39;s alleged orders have to do with whether or not it is childish to want to name a baseball team according to political issues? You avoided my question. No biggie, this is obviously a hot-button thing for you.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Sep 30 2004, 12:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Sep 30 2004, 12:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Sep 30 2004, 10:30 AM
    [b] [quote][b]The are more Senators in DC than any other place in the entire USA, Section. I mean, physically, in the space DC occupies...regardless of who they "represent." You may or may not have valid greivances about DC&#39;s circumstances, but this is a childish way of airing them, IMO.
    [/b][/quote]

What is more childish the fact that D.C. license plates say "Taxation Without Representation," or the fact that when W took office, on his innaguration, he ordered the driver of his vehicle to remove the D.C. plates from the car he was in? [/b][/quote]
    What does a licence plate or Bush&#39;s alleged orders have to do with whether or not it is childish to want to name a baseball team according to political issues? You avoided my question. No biggie, this is obviously a hot-button thing for you. [/b][/quote]
    Yes there are many Senators in D.C., but they do not represent any of the 500,000+ residents.

Let me take you through my thought process this morning when I read the article on the Metro on my way to work.

I read the section about how the Texas Rangers own the rights to "The Senators" and I thought to myself that we need to find a way to get the rights from them. I had it in my head all along that the team would be named The Senators. I was in favor of that name.

Then I read Mayor Williams comments about not calling them the Senators because of the whole voting rights situation. I hadn&#39;t even thought of that and I am well versed in the situation.

The license plates may seem childish as well, but when I visit people in NY I always get asked about what my license plate means. It is all about exposure. Most people outside DC don&#39;t even know whats going on.

Besides, its not like the name of the new DC baseball team is political. It is that they are not going to name it something based on political reasons. Its not like they are going to call the team something that crys something political. Unless you have a problem associating the team with a negro league team. Atleast they aren&#39;t planning on offending any Native Americans.