Thread: Baseball Back in D.C.

Sorry, just had to share my joy. While I am a former New Yorker (for over 15 years), and a die hard Jets fan (of course), I just never got into the Mets or Yanks (likely because for most of my life I was too busy playing baseball to follow basball, LOL&#33 Once I started getting into the pro game, I was already out of New York, and in the Baseball Black Hole of Washington D.C.

And now we have a team!!!!

THE WASHINGTON SENATORS ARE BACK!!!! WHOOOOO!!!!! HOOOOOO!!!!!!!

All League
    Charter JI Member

Congrats, Fisherman, but are you sure they'll be the Senators? I agree that's the only proper name for them, but that doesn't mean it won't get screwed up, somehow.

Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™@Sep 30 2004, 02:23 PM
    Congrats, Fisherman, but are you sure they'll be the Senators? I agree that's the only proper name for them, but that doesn't mean it won't get screwed up, somehow.
    If i just bought that team (did MLB sell them by the way?) i don't think i'd go with the senators. they tried that twice and both times the team moved out. i'd definately try to come up with something else, JMO

All League
    Major league baseball still has to sell the Expos to a private group and I think I read the Senators name is owned by Texas -I could be wrong. Beside with the reputation of most politicians I would go with a fresh start and name- let the fans decide.

--No Bob, no one knows yet what the name will actually be. That will be up to the new owners once they are chosen by MLB. Local favorites include Senators (the top fav), The Greys (for the Negro League Team from DC) and the Nationals (the pre-senators name).

--OneEye: The Senators left both times, not because of lack of fan support, but because of financial sweet-deals other cities offered to take them away. Imagine LA offering the Jets a completely brand new & free Downtown Stadium, Tax free, all profits (incld. concessions and parking) to the Jets and a flexable lease for almost nothing and in the Jets favor and you'll get my drift here.

Washington was (from the report I hear, of course, since I am only 28) a damn loyal City considering the Senators of those two era's were pretty damn bad through and through.

--Faba. Dear GOD NO!!! Please don;t let the "fans" decide. When you do that you usually end up with the VERY worst names possible. Witness the "Fan created" NBA teamname in D.C....the "Wizards". What a crock of crap.

No, the only options are Senators, Grays and Nationals. I know which one I am playing for.

Originally posted by Warfish@Sep 30 2004, 04:32 PM
    --No Bob, no one knows yet what the name will actually be. That will be up to the new owners once they are chosen by MLB. Local favorites include Senators (the top fav), The Greys (for the Negro League Team from DC) and the Nationals (the pre-senators name).

--OneEye: The Senators left both times, not because of lack of fan support, but because of financial sweet-deals other cities offered to take them away. Imagine LA offering the Jets a completely brand new & free Downtown Stadium, Tax free, all profits (incld. concessions and parking) to the Jets and a flexable lease for almost nothing and in the Jets favor and you'll get my drift here.

Washington was (from the report I hear, of course, since I am only 28) a damn loyal City considering the Senators of those two era's were pretty damn bad through and through.

--Faba. Dear GOD NO!!! Please don;t let the "fans" decide. When you do that you usually end up with the VERY worst names possible. Witness the "Fan created" NBA teamname in D.C....the "Wizards". What a crock of crap.

No, the only options are Senators, Grays and Nationals. I know which one I am playing for.
    I'd vote for the Nationals over the Senators....just sounds better especially in the post 9/11 world we live in.

All Pro
    I'd prefer keeping the Senators name. Stick with what people know about. It says a lot for a team to move and take a name that has a lot of baseball history behind it.

What's interesting is that O's manager Lee Mazzini (not sure if i got that last name right) suggested it might be a good idea if the O's were moved to the national league and Washington to American. it's kind of an interesting idea, but one i doubt will happen. everytime i think of Washington baseball, I think American League.

Originally posted by Warfish@Sep 30 2004, 03:32 PM

Good post on all points, Warfish. Washington didn't "lose" the Seantors, just like Cleveland didn't "lose" the Browns in football. It was a unilateral move by the team's owner.

If I were a DC fan, I'd want to bring back the Senators name. You keep in touch with the city's baseball history that way. Plus, names that the fans come up with always suck and seem to be more geared to selling cutesie merchandise. It seems that teams these days also like to regionalize the names of new teams like "Arizona Diamondbacks" (instead of Phoenix) and "Colorado Rockies" (instead of Denver) and so on. With that philosophy They'll end up being the "Mid-Atlantic Region Woodsy Owls."