Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ichiro for MVP?

Banned
    Pro:

-256 hits (and counting)
    -MLB leading .372 BA
    -42 more hits than the guy below him (Jaun Pierre)
    -44 more hits than the next American League guy below him (Michael Young)
    -second best OBP in the AL
    -second best in stolen bases in the AL

Con:

-218 singles
    -8 home runs in his 687 at-bats
    -60 RBI in his 687 at-bats
    -#43 in slugging percentage in the AL
    -his OBP is only .044 higher than his batting averege (Manny's is is .089, Sheffs is .103)
    -his team is 34 games below .500

All League
    David Ortiz will get the MVP.

Banned
    Originally posted by ScottishJet@Sep 30 2004, 03:53 PM
    he's a DH and he's not even the best hitter on his team. no he won't.

All League
    He shouldnt win for the same reason that Arod shouldnt have won last year.

The team sucks

Rookie
    Manny or Sheffield.

All League
    Originally posted by blackout806+Sep 30 2004, 04:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (blackout806 @ Sep 30 2004, 04:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ScottishJet@Sep 30 2004, 03:53 PM
    he&#39;s a DH and he&#39;s not even the best hitter on his team. no he won&#39;t. [/b][/quote]
    He has surpassed all expectations and provided 136RBIs, is on pace for 142. His 3 years average is 75. His plate performance kept the Sox alive when it was just him and Manny hitting well in the early part of the year. Without him the Sox are not in the playoffs. Sheff is another contender.

Banned
    Originally posted by ScottishJet+Sep 30 2004, 04:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ScottishJet @ Sep 30 2004, 04:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by blackout806@Sep 30 2004, 04:08 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-ScottishJet
    @Sep 30 2004, 03:53 PM

he&#39;s a DH and he&#39;s not even the best hitter on his team. no he won&#39;t.
    He has surpassed all expectations and provided 136RBIs, is on pace for 142. His 3 years average is 75. His plate performance kept the Sox alive when it was just him and Manny hitting well in the early part of the year. Without him the Sox are not in the playoffs. Sheff is another contender. [/b][/quote]
    Manny has a better BA, more HRs, more Runs, better slugging% and OPS%, more hits and not as many at-bats

Ortiz has 6 more RBI. thats it.

it doesnt matter if he surpassed expectations, he&#39;s still not as valuable as Manny

Banned
    With his performance the last month of the season, Vlad Guererro has all but clinched up the MVP in the AL, IMO. If the Angels hang on to win the West, there is no way he can&#39;t win. The award is given to the player most valuable to his team and there&#39;s no doubt the Angels wouldn&#39;t be where they are if not for Vlad.

Banned
    Originally posted by The Troll@Sep 30 2004, 04:33 PM
    With his performance the last month of the season, Vlad Guererro has all but clinched up the MVP in the AL, IMO. If the Angels hang on to win the West, there is no way he can&#39;t win. The award is given to the player most valuable to his team and there&#39;s no doubt the Angels wouldn&#39;t be where they are if not for Vlad.
    Manny Ramierz is why the Red Sox are in the playoffs
    Sheffield is why the Yankees are in first place
    Ichiro is why the Mariners are in the news

each means as much to their team as Vlad, although I&#39;m sure the Mariners could finish in last place without Ichiro too

Banned
    arod should not have won it last year, his team sucked. ichiro should not be considered either, the M&#39;s blow

sheffield is MVP

Undrafted Free Agent
    Give the MVP to this guy:

All League
    In any case, Ichiro should not be considered the hit king. He didn&#39;t do it in 154 games, simple as that. Roger Maris got an asterisk in his 61 year for the same reason, and so should Ichiro.

Hats off to a great season, for sure, but he doesn&#39;t deserve MVP, either. A-Rod won by default last year. This year, there are other worthy candidates on winning teams. Therefore, he should not win. Like its been said, they would have finished last with or without him.

Banned
    Sheffield is not the MVP. Do you really think a team with that payroll wouldn&#39;t have made the playoffs if not for Gary Sheffield? Sheffield may have helped them win the division, but they could have had Ben Grieve in right and they still would be in the playoffs.

Banned
    I love Shef ... he has been awesome and courageous for the Yankees this year

The man has literally played the entire season with a dislocated shoulder or a torn ligament ... one or the other?

NO JOKE ... the MRI revealed one or the other ... I forgot which cause the man never complains and just keeps playing through pain ... and he truly played like an MVP through it all

Ichiro has been amazing ... on the verge of breaking a record for hits that has stood for what, 80 years? :blink:

Manny & Ortiz cannot win the award over Shef cause they had their chance to lead the Sox over the Yankees over 162 ... same division ... and it didn&#39;t happen

So IMHO if these are the four candidates we are talkin about, I have to give the award to Sheffield cause he&#39;s the only one of the four who led his team to a division title, and he did so with SERIOUS DAMAGE to his shoulder all season

But having said all that, if the Angels win the AL WEST ... Vlad deserves to be named MVP

I Gotta be fair ... Vlad&#39;s numbers are just obscene and he&#39;s absolutely carried that team

If the Angels win the west this weekend, I could not in good conscience vote for anyone but the Vladimator

But if the Angels DO NOT close the deal this weekend, Sheffield gets my vote

Veteran
    All season we&#39;ve heard how Schilling, Pedro and starting pitching are what&#39;s going to make it "the year" for the Red Sox...now you want to nominate your meathead left fielder for MVP?&#33;

-How many times this season on the basepads did ManRam lose track of how many outs there were and get picked off?

-How many times did he relay in to the wrong man from left?

-How many times did he dive to cut off a throw from his own centerfielder? (still one of the funniest and dumbest plays I have ever seen)

-How many times did he over-run or simply missplay balls of the Green Compromise?

Manny is a lunkhead. He&#39;s dumb as a box of rocks and plays defense like he&#39;s performing court-mandated public service (he&#39;s there, but he doesn&#39;t seem real "into it") Sure he can hit, but so can a lot of guys...and they won&#39;t turn around and give the runs back from the field in the next inning.

My homer pick is Scheff...but Vlad is very deserving too.

Manny? please.

All League
    So you&#39;d never like to see Manny in pinstripes? Give me a break. Sure he is in la-la land. But that land produces 40+ HR and 130+RBIs every year. No need to rip him a new one, he is a worthy candidate in a pool of a lot of talent this year for the title.

Veteran
    Originally posted by ScottishJet@Oct 1 2004, 11:00 AM
    So you&#39;d never like to see Manny in pinstripes? Give me a break. Sure he is in la-la land. But that land produces 40+ HR and 130+RBIs every year. No need to rip him a new one, he is a worthy candidate in a pool of a lot of talent this year for the title.
    No, I would absolutely hate to see Manny in pinstripes. Same with Pedro.

Both are talented, but both are raging idiots with serious attitude problems.

Rookie
    But I&#39;m sure you loved Clemens? :ph34r:

Banned
    Originally posted by ScottishJet@Oct 1 2004, 11:00 AM
    by the time his contract is expired, he&#39;ll be too old and not in 2004 form

plus I think think not pickng up his waiver last year was a good move, since it didnt give the Red Sox any chance to get (what would now turn out to be) a good #3 starter

I would love to see Pedro in pinstripes next year, this is the worst year of his career and he&#39;s still better than 90% of the pitchers in baseball

the only elite player in baseball I would absolutely not want to have on the Yankees is Bonds.

All League
    Originally posted by Buffboy+Oct 1 2004, 11:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Buffboy @ Oct 1 2004, 11:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ScottishJet@Oct 1 2004, 11:00 AM
    No, I would absolutely hate to see Manny in pinstripes. Same with Pedro.

Both are talented, but both are raging idiots with serious attitude problems. [/b][/quote]
    Holy sh&#33;t. Get over yourslef, and get over your team, dude. You must be the only yankee fan to say he&#39;d not want Manny on his team. Sheffield is a bigger clubhouse cancer than Manny will ever be and he is in the Bronx. Good god, Kevin Brown is worse and he is a yankee. Just because a guy wears a Red Sox uniform does not automatically mean you cannot respect and/or like the guy. I&#39;m a diehard Red Sox fan but I love Matsui and respect Bernie Williams. To disregard Manny Ramirez as a peice of trash is so low and damn petty. You are a jackass.