Thread: Angels Clinch the AL West

The Angels score 3 runs in the 8th inning to upend the A's 5-4 on saturday ... and they clinch the AL West

All that remains to be decided is the playoff match-ups in the AL

The Twins Game was suspended after 11 innings cause the field was needed for the Minnesota/Penn State Game {how amazing is that?} ... this game will resume on sunday, followed by their regularly scheduled game

1. Should the Twins sweep both games, combined with an Angels loss on sunday, the Yankees will host the Angels on tuesday and the Twins will host the Red Sox

2. Should the Twins drop one of those games, regardless of what the Angels do on sunday, the Yankees will host the Twins and the Angels will host Boston

3. And should the Angels win on sunday, it's all moot ... Yanks host Twins and Angels host Red Sox

Angels are a good lineup to put pressure on the BoSox pitchers. Pedro has been pitching poorly his last 4 starts, and Lowe is nothing at all. Schilling is almost a guaranteed game 1 victory, but the rest of the matchups favor California, because they can really hit and are a pesky lineup, from 1 through 9. If Manny or Ortiz slumps this week, BoSox could be dead.

I'm hoping for a BoSox win, as Yanks match up better with Boston, and Yanks-Bosox is the way to go, anyway.

Originally posted by mbn007@Oct 3 2004, 09:27 AM
    Angels are a good lineup to put pressure on the BoSox pitchers. Pedro has been pitching poorly his last 4 starts, and Lowe is nothing at all. Schilling is almost a guaranteed game 1 victory, but the rest of the matchups favor California, because they can really hit and are a pesky lineup, from 1 through 9. If Manny or Ortiz slumps this week, BoSox could be dead.

I'm hoping for a BoSox win, as Yanks match up better with Boston, and Yanks-Bosox is the way to go, anyway.
    MBN, I wouldn't be handing Curt Schilling GAME ONE just yet

I&#39;m sure Johan Santana {i.e. the likely AL Cy Young} has something else in mind <_<

Hall Of Fame
    The Angels scare the sh&#33;t out of me right now. This team is clicking and firing on all cylinders. They are playing fearless baseball, have a great manager, good SP, a monster with a bat in Vlad and the tightest, sickest bully going right now. I&#39;m hoping the Twins win both games today and the Angels lose. Anaheim is not who I want to face in the playoffs. I would not be surprised to see them carry this momentum all the way this year.

Banned
    lets go cleveland :blink: :unsure:

the scary thing about Aneheim is, if they can beat the Athletics great pitching staff so easily (15 runs in two high-pressure games), just imagine what they would do to the Yankees and Red Sox&#39;s (non-curt schilling/mariano rivera) pitching staffs :ph34r:

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by blackout806@Oct 3 2004, 10:18 AM

the scary thing about Aneheim is, if they can beat the Athletics great pitching staff so easily (15 runs in two high-pressure games), just imagine what they would do to the Yankees and Red Sox&#39;s (non-curt schilling/mariano rivera) pitching staffs :ph34r:
    Yes but Oakland&#39;s pitching staff looks like it has had kryptonite round their necks all year. Hudson has been good but Mulder has been hurt (goes back to last year when the Sox bounced him out the playoffs when he hurt his back), and Zito is Oakland&#39;s Derek Lowe: all sizzle and no steak. One good year, shows promise, but no consistancy. What scares me more about the Angels is their style of play: no fear. Vlad is hot and provided the SP can keep them in until the bully is needed, then forget it. Rodriguez is a sick little witch and Percival still has some smoke on his pitches. This is the most dangerous team in the AL right now.

Originally posted by ScottishJet+Oct 3 2004, 11:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ScottishJet &#064; Oct 3 2004, 11:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-blackout806@Oct 3 2004, 10:18 AM

Yes but Oakland&#39;s pitching staff looks like it has had kryptonite round their necks all year. Hudson has been good but Mulder has been hurt (goes back to last year when the Sox bounced him out the playoffs when he hurt his back), and Zito is Oakland&#39;s Derek Lowe: all sizzle and no steak. One good year, shows promise, but no consistancy. What scares me more about the Angels is their style of play: no fear. Vlad is hot and provided the SP can keep them in until the bully is needed, then forget it. Rodriguez is a sick little witch and Percival still has some smoke on his pitches. This is the most dangerous team in the AL right now. [/b][/quote]
    AGREED

Scot, I think Yankees and Red Sox fans are both thinking the same thing today ... we both want THE OTHER TEAM to get stuck with the Angels in the first round

There, I said it ... I admit it ... that team scares me to death

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Oct 3 2004, 07:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham &#064; Oct 3 2004, 07:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mbn007@Oct 3 2004, 09:27 AM

I&#39;m hoping for a BoSox win, as Yanks match up better with Boston, and Yanks-Bosox is the way to go, anyway.
    MBN, I wouldn&#39;t be handing Curt Schilling GAME ONE just yet

I&#39;m sure Johan Santana {i.e. the likely AL Cy Young} has something else in mind <_< [/b][/quote]
    I figure that Minny will not win 2 today, and the Angels may win anyway, making the Minny games mute.

At least that&#39;s my hope.

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Oct 3 2004, 10:06 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Oct 3 2004, 10:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ScottishJet@Oct 3 2004, 11:23 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-blackout806
    @Oct 3 2004, 10:18 AM

Yes but Oakland&#39;s pitching staff looks like it has had kryptonite round their necks all year. Hudson has been good but Mulder has been hurt (goes back to last year when the Sox bounced him out the playoffs when he hurt his back), and Zito is Oakland&#39;s Derek Lowe: all sizzle and no steak. One good year, shows promise, but no consistancy. What scares me more about the Angels is their style of play: no fear. Vlad is hot and provided the SP can keep them in until the bully is needed, then forget it. Rodriguez is a sick little witch and Percival still has some smoke on his pitches. This is the most dangerous team in the AL right now.
    AGREED

Scot, I think Yankees and Red Sox fans are both thinking the same thing today ... we both want THE OTHER TEAM to get stuck with the Angels in the first round

There, I said it ... I admit it ... that team scares me to death [/b][/quote]
    You got that right.

Originally posted by blackout806@Oct 3 2004, 09:18 AM

The A&#39;s do have a great starting staff, and the Angels do have a wonderful lineup that can beat anyone, and they did make the A&#39;s look silly the past 2 weekends.

But, Mulder has been missing in action for 3 -4 weeks now (since I nominated him for the Cy Young ) and Zito has had a poor season, save for a 6 week stretch after the All Star game. Hudson has been OK. The best guy has been Harden, and even he has been hit a bit.

The A&#39;s mystique with their starters has been broken. I expect 1 of the big 3 to be traded this off-season, before they all become free agents together. Look for Zito to be the one, with the Mets, among others, interested. George will also be interested.

No doubt about it ... we drew the short straw

Let&#39;s be honest ... Minnesota is a Gimmie&#33;&#33;

The Red Sox have a slam-dunk in the 1st RD

The Yankees ... well ... let&#39;s just say we have anything but a slam-dunk

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Oct 3 2004, 07:18 PM
    No doubt about it ... we drew the short straw

Let&#39;s be honest ... Minnesota is a Gimmie&#33;&#33;

The Red Sox have a slam-dunk in the 1st RD

The Yankees ... well ... let&#39;s just say we have anything but a slam-dunk
    Oops ... I blew it ... Boston drew the short straw and they get the Angels

Not sure which team your dissing with the short straw talk Ham, but neither the Sox nor the Yanks have easy matchups.

The Angels are red hot and they have 3 at home. I like the Sox chances, but it&#39;s gonna be a tough series.

As tough as the Angels are, I&#39;m SO glad not to be facing the twins. Facing Johan Santana twice in a five game series is now the Yankees problem, not the Sox&#39;.

Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Oct 4 2004, 05:04 AM
    Not sure which team your dissing with the short straw talk Ham, but neither the Sox nor the Yanks have easy matchups.

The Angels are red hot and they have 3 at home. I like the Sox chances, but it&#39;s gonna be a tough series.

As tough as the Angels are, I&#39;m SO glad not to be facing the twins. Facing Johan Santana twice in a five game series is now the Yankees problem, not the Sox&#39;.
    I would have to agree. For all the talk of the Angels wonderful September, they were 10-13 before the previous weekend in Septemeber. Hopefully, they have burned out and are not on a Red Sox type run of winning 22 of 25.

All Pro
    The Sox need to go and sign Dave Henderson right now.

I was going to make a Donnie Moore crack, but I decided not to.