Thread: FOX News Fabricated Kerry quotes on its

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    October 3, 2004
    [b]Fabricated Kerry Posting Leads to Apology From Fox News[/b]
    By ERIC LICHTBLAU

WASHINGTON, Oct. 2 - Plenty of news media analysts thought Senator John Kerry looked good at Thursday night's presidential debate, but Fox News went a step further, posting a made-up news article on its Web site that quoted Mr. Kerry as gloating about his fine manicure and his "metrosexual" appearance.

Fox News quickly retracted the article, saying in an editor's note on its Web site that the article "was written in jest and should not have been posted or broadcast.'' It said, "We regret the error, which occurred because of fatigue and bad judgment, not malice."

The article, posted on Friday on foxnews.com, was written by Carl Cameron, the chief political correspondent for Fox News, and included several bogus quotes from Mr. Kerry, supposedly assessing his performance in the debate.

"Didn't my nails and cuticles look great? What a good debate!" the article quoted Mr. Kerry, the Democratic candidate, as telling his supporters in Florida after the event.

"Women should like me! I do manicures," the story also quoted him as saying. It also had Mr. Kerry contrasting himself with President Bush: "I'm metrosexual - he's a cowboy."

Before the debate, several Fox News commentators remarked on the air about how Mr. Kerry had reportedly gotten a manicure that day.

Mr. Cameron has been reprimanded over the incident, said Paul Schur, a spokesman for the network. "This was a stupid mistake and a lapse in judgment, and Carl regrets it," Mr. Schur said.

He declined to say how Mr. Cameron had been reprimanded or whether action had been taken against others at Fox News who reviewed the article before it was posted. Mr. Cameron, who is well respected in news media circles, declined to discuss the incident when reached on Saturday. He is continuing to report from the campaign trail.

The gaffe comes at a time when journalistic errors and lapses both big and small have called into question the credibility of a number of major news organizations.

Less than two weeks ago, CBS News and Dan Rather - who is a frequent target of conservatives who accuse him of liberal bias - apologized for a "mistake in judgment" in relying on unsubstantiated documents for a report about President Bush's National Guard service.

On Saturday, it was Democrats who were chuckling over the incident at Fox News, a network that portrays itself as "fair and balanced" but is often accused by liberals of having a pro-Republican bias.

The Kerry campaign sought to turn the Fox retraction against Mr. Bush.

"Fox is doing the right thing by admitting its mistake and correcting the record," said Phil Singer, a spokesman for the Kerry campaign. "George Bush would be well served to heed the lesson and admit to his own mistakes."

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fox and CBS, a pair made in Biased Media heaven.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder if Fox News will hammer itself on a repetitive basis the way they did Rather and CBS.

I am not defending Rather and CBS in anyway here. Think punishments shoud be handed down.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 11:54 AM
    [b] Wonder if Fox News will hammer itself on a repetitive basis the way they did Rather and CBS.

I am not defending Rather and CBS in anyway here. Think punishments shoud be handed down. [/b][/quote]
    sure you're defending See B.S....the difference is Fox saw the story was an error, said so and promptly removed it...unlike See B.S. who, for a week denied any wrongdoing, laughed at the "pajam people" from FreeRepublic who outed them (remember them 4th and forever) and only admitted the mistake after ratings dropped, Rather's broadcasts were cancelled by affiliates and stockholders started to scream...sh!t, even the leftist Sumner Redstone had to try damage control by saying he was now voting for GWB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reporter involved did so as a joke; the story was yanked immediately; a prompt correction and an apology were issued immediately; and the reporter reprimanded.

Best I can tell, Rather still think his fake story is perfectly acceptable. And no one at CBS has done anything to him or the producer. Though given his rock-bottom ratings, it's a matter of time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Oct 4 2004, 12:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY &#064; Oct 4 2004, 12:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-4th&Long[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 11:54 AM
    [b] Wonder if Fox News will hammer itself on a repetitive basis the way they did Rather and CBS.

I am not defending Rather and CBS in anyway here. Think punishments shoud be handed down. [/b][/quote]
    sure you&#39;re defending See B.S....the difference is Fox saw the story was an error, said so and promptly removed it...unlike See B.S. who, for a week denied any wrongdoing, laughed at the "pajam people" from FreeRepublic who outed them (remember them 4th and forever) and only admitted the mistake after ratings dropped, Rather&#39;s broadcasts were cancelled by affiliates and stockholders started to scream...sh&#33;t, even the leftist Sumner Redstone had to try damage control by saying he was now voting for GWB. [/b][/quote]
    No, unlike you, I can admit when a mistake is made. Do I think its a conspiracy from the Kerry campaign passing documents to CBS? Nope. CBS did wrong and should pay. Maybe they should issue an apology similar to the Times apologizing for their WMD coverage in Iraq. Fox News doesnt use forged documents. They just come out and either lie or give one side and then claim to be fair and balanced. But you wont admit that.

Everyone expects FNC to slant its coverage so no one calls them on it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    FOX cable news and everyone one of the morons on 770 am make their living attacking anything left..they are filled with hate and bigotry and want to continue to divide this country...
    the whole world knows that John Kerry has a superior intellect, superior moral vales and superior courage to the out leagued little Bush..

Instead of trying to get ratings they should do what&#39;s right for this Country and support Kerry....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 11:27 AM
    [b] the whole world knows that John Kerry has a superior intellect, superior moral vales and superior courage to the out leagued little Bush..
    [/b][/quote]
    Kerry can have all the moral vales he wants, at least I know Bush has stronger moral VALUES.

But in discussing Fox, people forget that Fox puts liberals on their conservative shows. So its not like Hannity is saying libs suck without bringing one on and then debating them. At that point, its up to the view to see whose point they agree with more. And with that said, Hannity doesnt roll solo. He has a partner (weak one IMO) but nonetheless has a partner with liberal views.

And please, hold your "You must see Outfoxed" comments. That movie was more biased and was on more of an agenda than Michael Moore.

Fox admitted this incident was a mistake right away and this wasnt even intended to go on the website, as opposed to the Rather incident that took CBS a week to apologize.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    dude..how can you say Bush has stronger moral values.
    he pussied out of Vietnam when Kerry volunteered...
    He then LIED to the American people and sent 1000 soldiers to die..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 01:42 PM
    [b] dude..how can you say Bush has stronger moral values.
    He then LIED to the American people and sent 1000 soldiers to die.. [/b][/quote]
    You critcize him constantly for bringing his religous faith into his presidency. You dont think his motives for being socially conservative have a moral root to them? What, now the religious groups are paying Bush off to try to implement Church teachings? You cant have it both ways: He either isnt bringing religion into this country (which doesnt defend or argue against his moral values) or that he is bringing Christian morals (which you can disagree with, but nonetheless are rooted from moral values).

People change bman, and if you cant see that, thats your own fault. There were a lot of sketchy things about Bush in the past, but the man has changed and every Bush hater knows that. You can say he lied to the American people and sent 1000 soldiers to die for nothing BS all you want...your just showing how your hatred for this man blinds your sense of reason.

And if you want to use Bush&#39;s past as a deterrent for the amount of morals this man has, what about Kerry&#39;s past? What about the fact he lied about war crimes in Vietnam and even coached someone to lie about what happened? Is it morally correct to rat out your fellow soliders? Or even better, do you think its OK to go against your fellow soldiers to make a point in the 70&#39;s, but then try to use them in 2004 when you need them to help you become president?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan+Oct 4 2004, 02:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TheBrodyMan @ Oct 4 2004, 02:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bman[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 01:42 PM
    [b] dude..how can you say Bush has stronger moral values.
    He then LIED to the American people and sent 1000 soldiers to die.. [/b][/quote]
    You critcize him constantly for bringing his religous faith into his presidency. You dont think his motives for being socially conservative have a moral root to them? What, now the religious groups are paying Bush off to try to implement Church teachings? You cant have it both ways: He either isnt bringing religion into this country (which doesnt defend or argue against his moral values) or that he is bringing Christian morals (which you can disagree with, but nonetheless are rooted from moral values).

People change bman, and if you cant see that, thats your own fault. There were a lot of sketchy things about Bush in the past, but the man has changed and every Bush hater knows that. You can say he lied to the American people and sent 1000 soldiers to die for nothing BS all you want...your just showing how your hatred for this man blinds your sense of reason.

And if you want to use Bush&#39;s past as a deterrent for the amount of morals this man has, what about Kerry&#39;s past? What about the fact he lied about war crimes in Vietnam and even coached someone to lie about what happened? Is it morally correct to rat out your fellow soliders? Or even better, do you think its OK to go against your fellow soldiers to make a point in the 70&#39;s, but then try to use them in 2004 when you need them to help you become president? [/b][/quote]
    I think Bush is sort of clueless when it comes to religion. Read this interesting note the other day. Not saying he should know his verses by heart. Religion seems like a crux to me from Dubya. His life was spinning out of control and he grasped for it. Like a prisoner who finally finds Jesus Christ...Just my opinion. I dont really think Bush is a very smart man. He, with help from his Daddy, has surrounded himself with very smart people.

GEORGE W. BUSH (with Bill O&#39;Reilly in 2000): "Well, I -- yeah, and I&#39;m not so sure he (Jesus) addressed the death penalty itself in the New Testament. Maybe he did."

THE GOSPEL OF JOHN; CHAPTER 8, VERSES 4-7:
    They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 02:06 PM
    [b] I think Bush is sort of clueless when it comes to religion. Read this interesting note the other day. Not saying he should know his verses by heart. Religion seems like a crux to me from Dubya. His life was spinning out of control and he grasped for it. Like a prisoner who finally finds Jesus Christ...Just my opinion. I dont really think Bush is a very smart man. He, with help from his Daddy, has surrounded himself with very smart people.

GEORGE W. BUSH (with Bill O&#39;Reilly in 2000): "Well, I -- yeah, and I&#39;m not so sure he (Jesus) addressed the death penalty itself in the New Testament. Maybe he did."

THE GOSPEL OF JOHN; CHAPTER 8, VERSES 4-7:
    They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. [/b][/quote]
    He was right, Jesus doesnt address the death penalty. If you read the story literally then technically he does because he&#39;s telling those men to stone her if they are free of sin. However, the point of the story is to teach people the lesson that you should not judge someone else if you arent perfect either. Jesus uses extremes sometimes to get a point across.

But the story is not supposed to be read as a way of getting Jesus&#39; view on the death penalty. Its supposed to be read as a way to teach individuals, not a government or law, a lesson.

And your analogy of him trying to grasp for something; you are probably right. He needed something to save him and he found God. Something wrong with that? In fact most people who grasp on just for the sake of looking good never last, whereas GW has been a man of prayer for a good amount of time right now. So I dont see him as a crux but someone who is pretty spiritual.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 03:14 PM
    [b] And your analogy of him trying to grasp for something; you are probably right. He needed something to save him and he found God. Something wrong with that? [/b][/quote]
    Nothing wrong with it. As long as the guy who is being "saved" doesnt attempt to ram his views down my throat through public policy. I give Bush and his handlers credit for creating this image.

I also believe that Bible verses can be interpreted and used in many different ways. I am not a religious person at all, but I always ask religious conservatives if they truly believe that Jesus would have been for the death penalty? I thought he was a man of love and forgiveness? Not being sarcastic here. It makes for an interesting discussion.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 02:29 PM
    [b]

I also believe that Bible verses can be interpreted and used in many different ways. I am not a religious person at all, but I always ask religious conservatives if they truly believe that Jesus would have been for the death penalty? I thought he was a man of love and forgiveness? Not being sarcastic here. It makes for an interesting discussion. [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s a difficult one but I do feel he would be against the death penalty and war. It goes against everything he teaches. However, I feel that view is very idealistic but not practical. The Church now teaches that war is acceptable in some circumstances and then gets sketchy on the death penalty. The death penalty varies with different people.

But without a doubt Jesus would not be happy with whats going on, but at the same time he would understand how human we can be.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan+Oct 4 2004, 03:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TheBrodyMan @ Oct 4 2004, 03:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-4th&Long[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 02:29 PM
    [b]

I also believe that Bible verses can be interpreted and used in many different ways. I am not a religious person at all, but I always ask religious conservatives if they truly believe that Jesus would have been for the death penalty? I thought he was a man of love and forgiveness? Not being sarcastic here. It makes for an interesting discussion. [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s a difficult one but I do feel he would be against the death penalty and war. It goes against everything he teaches. However, I feel that view is very idealistic but not practical. The Church now teaches that war is acceptable in some circumstances and then gets sketchy on the death penalty. The death penalty varies with different people.

But without a doubt Jesus would not be happy with whats going on, but at the same time he would understand how human we can be. [/b][/quote]
    I dont know how religious you are...its none of my business actually, but I appreciate your honesty in this post. Your a good man Brody Man. Just wish you werent brainwashed at such a young age. :D :D :D

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long+Oct 4 2004, 12:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (4th&Long @ Oct 4 2004, 12:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Come Back to NY@Oct 4 2004, 12:01 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-4th&Long[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 11:54 AM

sure you&#39;re defending See B.S....the difference is Fox saw the story was an error, said so and promptly removed it...unlike See B.S. who, for a week denied any wrongdoing, laughed at the "pajam people" from FreeRepublic who outed them (remember them 4th and forever) and only admitted the mistake after ratings dropped, Rather&#39;s broadcasts were cancelled by affiliates and stockholders started to scream...sh&#33;t, even the leftist Sumner Redstone had to try damage control by saying he was now voting for GWB. [/b][/quote]
    No, unlike you, I can admit when a mistake is made.
    [/b][/quote]
    To bad See B.S. can&#39;t and only when their "ass is grass" do they come clean..

[quote][b]Everyone expects FNC to slant its coverage so no one calls them on it.[/b][/quote]

Of course the same does not hold true for the likes of Dan Rather-biased, Peter Jennings, Katie Couric, the NYT or Chrissy Matthews right? All level headed, straight shooting reporters? what a joke&#33;

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 03:36 PM
    [b]
    [/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t see a problem with Jesus supporting the death penalty. The Bible teaches it so He wouldn&#39;t contradict it.

Sure Jesus is about love and forgiveness on an individual level, but read Rev. 19:11-21. Those who reject Him end up being killed by Him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by asuusa[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 05:15 PM
    [b] Those who reject Him end up being killed by Him. [/b][/quote]
    Damn thats scary

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Sure Jesus is about love and forgiveness on an individual level, but read Rev. 19:11-21. Those who reject Him end up being killed by Him.[/b][/quote]

The George Bush Credo?

We know that GW Bush belives deeply in revelations, the war against the non-belivers right before the End, the Rapture. He knows scripture says the final war will take place in the Middle East between the forces of Christ (himself) and the forces of the Satan (filled here admirably by the Muslims).

So, in effect, we have a President who believes in biblical prophesy, belives this could be the end times, and has the power to control the events that could cause the world to move towarss that End, the Rapture, the Final War.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Oct 5 2004, 09:16 AM
    [b] [quote][b]Sure Jesus is about love and forgiveness on an individual level, but read Rev. 19:11-21. Those who reject Him end up being killed by Him.[/b][/quote]

The George Bush Credo?

We know that GW Bush belives deeply in revelations, the war against the non-belivers right before the End, the Rapture. He knows scripture says the final war will take place in the Middle East between the forces of Christ (himself) and the forces of the Satan (filled here admirably by the Muslims).

So, in effect, we have a President who believes in biblical prophesy, belives this could be the end times, and has the power to control the events that could cause the world to move towarss that End, the Rapture, the Final War. [/b][/quote]
    I need a vacation