Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4th and Long

Veteran
    few things

When is Wilco coming to NYC area?

What do you think of the latest album?
    - I admittedly haven't given it enough listens, but after tehj first few listens I do not enjoy it as much as past efforts. Being there, YHF, and to a lesser extent both summerteeth and AM i found much more enjoyable. I don't know if you have checked out there Woody Guthrie stuff recorded with Billy Bragg, but its excellent. I could burn those for you if you are interested. Jet Mo and myself have traded just ablout all the Wilco ablums with each other and the method has worked pretty well.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money[/i]@Oct 5 2004, 05:03 PM
    [b] few things

When is Wilco coming to NYC area?

What do you think of the latest album?
    - I admittedly haven't given it enough listens, but after tehj first few listens I do not enjoy it as much as past efforts. Being there, YHF, and to a lesser extent both summerteeth and AM i found much more enjoyable. I don't know if you have checked out there Woody Guthrie stuff recorded with Billy Bragg, but its excellent. I could burn those for you if you are interested. Jet Mo and myself have traded just ablout all the Wilco ablums with each other and the method has worked pretty well. [/b][/quote]
    Hey LGM,

Wilco is town at Radio City today and tomorrow. Bman said he was going tonight I think. I couldnt make it unfortunately. I saw them at Irving Plaza a few months ago and have seen them a bunch of times going back to AM. I was a huge Uncle Tupelo fan(Tweedy's first band).

I think YHF is their masterpiece and its hard to top. A Ghost Is Born I love but its definitely more challenging than anything else they've recorded. It takes a lot of listens to get into it. I have both Woody Guthrie discs, but thanks for the offer. Whats great about Wilco is that all their discs are different. You never know what your going to get.

I have some live stuff that I downloaded from sharingthegroove.org. You should check out that site or if you want you can do a B&P (Blanks and postage) and I can burn some of the live stuff I have. Most of the material is off their most recent tour which means they are playing mostly AGIB.

great show..over two hours..Radio City Music Hall has GREAT sound...they were awesome..BUT the crowd sucked until about 1/2 way through..
    I hate seeing shows in places that have seats...i would have preferred a smaller venue but it was great.

Hall Of Fame
    What/who are Wilco? What style are they?

Do they have any famous songs or songs I'd recognize?

Wilco was a great kept secret till recently!
    They just released their 5th album..
    Great rock n roll..
    They came from the alt country scene..
    There was band called Uncle Tupelo from Belleville Illinoise..Featured Jeff Tweedy and Jay Ferrar..Two high school firends..They started out as punk/country..Gave birth to the genre called alternative country..Played their assses off and broke up in 93?isg..Tweedy went on to form Wilco..Ferrar formed Sun Volt..
    Wilco is almost now like a cross between Radiohead and the Beatles...
    Started out few a country rock album..and morfed into more experimental rock..
    a movie and book have been made!

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Oct 6 2004, 08:35 AM
    [b] What/who are Wilco? What style are they?

Do they have any famous songs or songs I'd recognize? [/b][/quote]
    5ever

I can send you a few burnt cds if you are interested. Very cool band, hard to put a lebel on them. Kind of a rock sound that uses a lot of bluegrass instrumentation. Some songs have the country twnag but I wouldn't consider it at all country.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Oct 6 2004, 08:35 AM

Do they have any famous songs or songs I'd recognize? [/b][/quote]
    They used to be more alt-country, but now they are sort of hard to pin down. I would try Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. It'll take several listens to get into, but most of the best discs are like that. I would save AGIB for last, not because its bad, but because its just more difficult for beginners. I know hardcore Wilco fans that hate it.

The only semi-popular song they have is Heavy Metal Drummer. But you wont hear that on the radio, although I heard it in a TGIF's one time. Weird experience.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money+Oct 6 2004, 08:45 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Lawyers, Guns and Money @ Oct 6 2004, 08:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jets5ever[/i]@Oct 6 2004, 08:35 AM

Do they have any famous songs or songs I&#39;d recognize? [/b][/quote]
    5ever

I can send you a few burnt cds if you are interested. Very cool band, hard to put a lebel on them. Kind of a rock sound that uses a lot of bluegrass instrumentation. Some songs have the country twnag but I wouldn&#39;t consider it at all country. [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;d enjoy that...I am always looking for new music. Alt country sounds good to me.

[b]Bman[/b] - do you like Pavement, Modest Mouse, Pixies, Fugazi, Archers of Loaf, Built to Spill, or music of that "alt punk" type? If so, I can send you some sweet burned CDs.

[b]Lawyers[/b] - I&#39;ll PM you with a mailing address. Thanks boss. I also have some burned CDs I can send if you are interested. My brother and I took three days off and borrowed some instruments and a 4-track and cut a 10-song disc of originals. Some of it is decent...

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Oct 6 2004, 09:01 AM
    [b]
    [b]Bman[/b] - do you like Pavement, Modest Mouse, Pixies, Fugazi, Archers of Loaf, Built to Spill, or music of that "alt punk" type? If so, I can send you some sweet burned CDs.

[ [/b][/quote]
    an indie rock conservative&#33;

You just named most of my favorite bands. I graduated from UNC in 1996. I was there during the height of the Archers-who are from Chapel Hill- "popularity". Used to see them all the time. They are one of my favorite bands, as are Pavement.

i used to dig pixies and fugazi back in 92&#33;
    mouse is a weird one..i don&#39;t know what to think..although i love the song that is gettin lots of play now..
    I am first and foremost a DIEHARD Jane&#39;s fan&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long+Oct 6 2004, 09:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (4th&Long @ Oct 6 2004, 09:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jets5ever[/i]@Oct 6 2004, 09:01 AM
    [b]

[ [/b][/quote]

You just named most of my favorite bands. I graduated from UNC in 1996. I was there during the height of the Archers-who are from Chapel Hill- "popularity". Used to see them all the time. They are one of my favorite bands, as are Pavement. [/b][/quote]
    Bizarre, huh?

The Archers were awesome. I saw them in Albany once and met all of them and took pictures and stuff. Eric Bachmann is pretty tall. His solo stuff or whatever you call it, "Crooked Fingers" is pretty good, but not as good as the Archers. Icky Mettle is one of the best albums of all time.

Stephan Malkmus&#39; solo album is pretty good as well.

Basically, my older sister got Surfer Rosa by the Pixies back when I was about 13 or so. Ever since I heard that record, I became an obsessive Pixies fan and decided that I should learn how to play guitar....

folk implosion is a good one..
    what&#39;s a good pavement record to start with...

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Oct 6 2004, 09:01 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Oct 6 2004, 09:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Lawyers@ Guns and Money,Oct 6 2004, 08:45 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-jets5ever[/i]@Oct 6 2004, 08:35 AM

Do they have any famous songs or songs I&#39;d recognize? [/b][/quote]
    5ever

I can send you a few burnt cds if you are interested. Very cool band, hard to put a lebel on them. Kind of a rock sound that uses a lot of bluegrass instrumentation. Some songs have the country twnag but I wouldn&#39;t consider it at all country. [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;d enjoy that...I am always looking for new music. Alt country sounds good to me.

[b]Lawyers[/b] - I&#39;ll PM you with a mailing address. Thanks boss. I also have some burned CDs I can send if you are interested. My brother and I took three days off and borrowed some instruments and a 4-track and cut a 10-song disc of originals. Some of it is decent... [/b][/quote]
    Cool

definately interested in Hearing the 5 ever band

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Oct 6 2004, 09:13 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Oct 6 2004, 09:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by 4th&Long@Oct 6 2004, 09:05 AM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-jets5ever[/i]@Oct 6 2004, 09:01 AM
    [b]

[ [/b][/quote]

You just named most of my favorite bands. I graduated from UNC in 1996. I was there during the height of the Archers-who are from Chapel Hill- "popularity". Used to see them all the time. They are one of my favorite bands, as are Pavement. [/b][/quote]
    Bizarre, huh?

The Archers were awesome. I saw them in Albany once and met all of them and took pictures and stuff. Eric Bachmann is pretty tall. His solo stuff or whatever you call it, "Crooked Fingers" is pretty good, but not as good as the Archers. Icky Mettle is one of the best albums of all time.

Stephan Malkmus&#39; solo album is pretty good as well.

Basically, my older sister got Surfer Rosa by the Pixies back when I was about 13 or so. Ever since I heard that record, I became an obsessive Pixies fan and decided that I should learn how to play guitar.... [/b][/quote]
    Crooked Fingers-onstage is basically Eric with a guitar-opened for Wilco when I saw them in Arizona while I was living out in Phoenix. I have the first 2 CF discs.

Anyone heard the Drive By Truckers? [url]www.drivebytruckers.com[/url] Check them out.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Oct 6 2004, 09:15 AM
    [b] folk implosion is a good one..
    what&#39;s a good pavement record to start with... [/b][/quote]
    bman, Slanted and Enchanted, their first disc is a classic. Their next one Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is great too. Hell, their all good, except Wowee Zowee. I hated that record.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Oct 6 2004, 09:15 AM
    [b] folk implosion is a good one..
    what&#39;s a good pavement record to start with... [/b][/quote]
    Brighten the Corners is a good beginner Pavement disc. Then, you can move on to their masterpieces, like Crooked Rain Crooked Rain or Slanted and Enchanted.
    Wowee Zowee is also good.

His voice takes some getting used to....

No Perry fans here&#33;

All League
    I&#39;m another one of those modern-rock conservatives - got old, started a family but refused to stop listening to music....

Pavement takes a while to get used to - [i]Slanted and Enchanted [/i]is their best - I think that [i]Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain [/i]is great too. Gotta&#39; force yourself to listen a few times - the first time I listened to Pavement I thought it sucked, then I found myself singing the songs while walking around the mall, etc... If you like Pavement, listen to Sleater-Kinney - kinda&#39; like a female Pavement.

Others I like that don&#39;t get talked about too much are Guided by Voices, Sugar, Grandaddy, Pete Yorn, anything by Tanya Donnelly/Belly/Throwing Muses, lots of others.

Never got into Wilco but always told myself I should check it out - maybe I&#39;ll hit the CD store down the street from me on my way into work today...

One other band that I loved was Morphine - like nothing else you&#39;ll ever listen too. Check out [i]Cure for Pain [/i]and [i]Yes[/i] - both absolutely incredible&#33;&#33;

Oh, and any time I see someone talk about Fugazi it brings a smile to my face.. "Waiting Room" is still a staple at any party I throw - wish that they&#39;d add it to the 16H playlist&#33;&#33;

Veteran
    Anyone on here listen to bands like Moe., Ominous Seapods, God Street Wine, Widespread Panic, etc? I have no clue how I started listening to "hippie" bands.

Godstreet Wine&#33;
    Oh my God..That brings up terrible memories&#33; all my frinds back in the day would listen to live godstreet all the time&#33;
    i hated those days cause i was only listening to Jane&#39;s and the Pumkins..but all my friends were hippie jam band stoners guys.