Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: News from Iraq

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    This is a letter from Ray Reynolds, a medic in the Iowa Army
    National Guard, serving in Iraq:

    As I head off to Baghdad for the final weeks of my stay in Iraq, I
    wanted to say thanks to all of you who did not believe the media. They have
    done a very poor job of covering everything that has happened.

    I am sorry that I have not been able to visit all of you during my two week
    leave back home. And just so you can rest at night knowing something is
    happening in Iraq that is noteworthy, I thought I would pass this on to you.
    This is the list of things that has happened in Iraq recently: (Please
    share it with your friends and compare it to the version that your paper is
    producing.)

    * Over 400,000 kids have up-to-date immunizations.
    * School attendance is up 80% from levels before the war.
    * Over 1,500 schools have been renovated and rid of the weapons stored
    there so education can occur. The port of Uhm Qasar was renovated so grain
    can be off-loaded from ships faster.
    * The country had its first 2 billion barrel export of oil in August.
    * Over 4.5 million people have clean drinking water for the first time
    ever in Iraq.
    * The country now receives 2 times the electrical power it did before the
    war.
    * 100% of the hospitals are open and fully staffed, compared to 35%
    before the war.
    * Elections are taking place in every major city, and city councils are
    in place.
    * Sewer and water lines are installed in every major city.
    * Over 60,000 police are patrolling the streets.
    * Over 100,000 Iraqi civil defense police are securing the country.
    * Over 80,000 Iraqi soldiers are patrolling the streets side by side with
    US soldiers.
    * Over 400,000 people have telephones for the first time ever.
    * Students are taught field sanitation and hand washing techniques to
    prevent the spread of germs.
    * An interim constitution has been signed.
    * Girls are allowed to attend school.
    * Textbooks that don't mention Saddam are in the schools for the first
    time in 30 years.

    Don't believe for one second that these people do not want us there. I have
    met many, many people from Iraq that want us there, and in a bad way. They
    say they will never see the freedoms we talk about but they hope their
    children will. We are doing a good job in Iraq and I challenge anyone,
    anywhere to dispute me on these facts. So If you happen to run into John
    Kerry, be sure to give him my email address and send him to Denison, Iowa.
    This soldier will set him straight. If you are like me and very disgusted
    with how this period of rebuilding has been portrayed, email this to a
    friend and let them know there are good things happening.

    Ray Reynolds, SFC
    Iowa Army National Guard
    234th Signal Battalion

  2. #2
    so we invaded Iraq to rebuild schools!!!

  3. #3
    by the way..
    there is NOOOO way in hell a MEDIC is privy to the info...
    more BS from Iraq!

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    574
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Piper[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 10:00 AM
    [b] This is a letter from Ray Reynolds, a medic in the Iowa Army
    National Guard, serving in Iraq:

    As I head off to Baghdad for the final weeks of my stay in Iraq, I
    wanted to say thanks to all of you who did not believe the media. They have
    done a very poor job of covering everything that has happened.

    I am sorry that I have not been able to visit all of you during my two week
    leave back home. And just so you can rest at night knowing something is
    happening in Iraq that is noteworthy, I thought I would pass this on to you.
    This is the list of things that has happened in Iraq recently: (Please
    share it with your friends and compare it to the version that your paper is
    producing.)

    * Over 400,000 kids have up-to-date immunizations.
    * School attendance is up 80% from levels before the war.
    * Over 1,500 schools have been renovated and rid of the weapons stored
    there so education can occur. The port of Uhm Qasar was renovated so grain
    can be off-loaded from ships faster.
    * The country had its first 2 billion barrel export of oil in August.
    * Over 4.5 million people have clean drinking water for the first time
    ever in Iraq.
    * The country now receives 2 times the electrical power it did before the
    war.
    * 100% of the hospitals are open and fully staffed, compared to 35%
    before the war.
    * Elections are taking place in every major city, and city councils are
    in place.
    * Sewer and water lines are installed in every major city.
    * Over 60,000 police are patrolling the streets.
    * Over 100,000 Iraqi civil defense police are securing the country.
    * Over 80,000 Iraqi soldiers are patrolling the streets side by side with
    US soldiers.
    * Over 400,000 people have telephones for the first time ever.
    * Students are taught field sanitation and hand washing techniques to
    prevent the spread of germs.
    * An interim constitution has been signed.
    * Girls are allowed to attend school.
    * Textbooks that don't mention Saddam are in the schools for the first
    time in 30 years.

    Don't believe for one second that these people do not want us there. I have
    met many, many people from Iraq that want us there, and in a bad way. They
    say they will never see the freedoms we talk about but they hope their
    children will. We are doing a good job in Iraq and I challenge anyone,
    anywhere to dispute me on these facts. So If you happen to run into John
    Kerry, be sure to give him my email address and send him to Denison, Iowa.
    This soldier will set him straight. If you are like me and very disgusted
    with how this period of rebuilding has been portrayed, email this to a
    friend and let them know there are good things happening.

    Ray Reynolds, SFC
    Iowa Army National Guard
    234th Signal Battalion [/b][/quote]
    If this is real, then thats great. I will keep it in mind when i hear about the next beheading or the next car bomb.

  5. #5
    also..GIRLS were always alloed to go to school in Iraq...again, I must inform you, Iraq was and is DIFFERENT from Taliban afghanistan..

  6. #6
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 10:21 AM
    [b] also..GIRLS were always alloed to go to school in Iraq...again, I must inform you, Iraq was and is DIFFERENT from Taliban afghanistan.. [/b][/quote]
    he's right about that - Girls have always gone to school in Iraq...

    frankly it's an inspiring letter but when i look around and see they are closing the first responder fire station in my neighborhood, the schools and the streets are still in shambles, it makes me wonder why it's more important to rebuild Iraq than fund our municipalities.

  7. #7
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Oct 7 2004, 11:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Oct 7 2004, 11:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bman[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 10:21 AM
    [b] also..GIRLS were always alloed to go to school in Iraq...again, I must inform you, Iraq was and is DIFFERENT from Taliban afghanistan.. [/b][/quote]
    he&#39;s right about that - Girls have always gone to school in Iraq...

    frankly it&#39;s an inspiring letter but when i look around and see they are closing the first responder fire station in my neighborhood, the schools and the streets are still in shambles, it makes me wonder why it&#39;s more important to rebuild Iraq than fund our municipalities. [/b][/quote]
    How exactly did they install water and sewer lines in every Iraqi city?

    We can&#39;t even to that here&#33;&#33;

  8. #8
    that letter is as valid as those emails from the late great king of zimbabwe asking for your checking account #

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    1,541
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 10:16 AM
    [b] by the way..
    there is NOOOO way in hell a MEDIC is privy to the info...
    more BS from Iraq&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Let me ask you a question bman. How the hell do you know this?

    Must be from your vast military experience.

  10. #10
    yes..
    it&#39;s a polotical email...
    please stop the madness

  11. #11
    i like how piper&#39;s thread says we are making more than terrorists...

    ok great but that implies we are making terrorists, no?

    way to keep the country safe, Dubya :blink:

  12. #12
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 12:22 PM
    [b] yes..
    it&#39;s a polotical email...
    please stop the madness [/b][/quote]
    Please start the spellcheck. You are killing me. I mean a typo here or there - fine. But for a guy who knows so much...do a better job of covering up your ignorance.

    BTW, note well how the prospect of positive news spins liberals into tizzies of denial. Dirtbags.

  13. #13
    because it&#39;s a blatant lie&#33;


    Fix US schools and clean the water here first&#33;&#33;

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 12:46 PM
    [b] i like how piper&#39;s thread says we are making more than terrorists...

    ok great but that implies we are making terrorists, no?

    way to keep the country safe, Dubya :blink: [/b][/quote]
    You are the one who claims the only thing this war is doing is making more terrorists, remember.

    Or don&#39;t you even remember what you post?

  15. #15
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Thor99+Oct 7 2004, 12:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Thor99 @ Oct 7 2004, 12:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bman[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 10:16 AM
    [b] by the way..
    there is NOOOO way in hell a MEDIC is privy to the info...
    more BS from Iraq&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Let me ask you a question bman. How the hell do you know this?

    Must be from your vast military experience. [/b][/quote]
    Come on Thor, be realistic. There is absolutely no way this letter is legit. Imagine if a Liberal here posted something similar to it, but negative instead of positive, matching the Liberal adgenda, not the conservative.

    Would you take that letter as truth too?

    This letter is absolute "Urban Legend-esque" BS. Some of what is says may be true, but there is no way this is a real letter.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish+Oct 7 2004, 02:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Warfish @ Oct 7 2004, 02:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Thor99@Oct 7 2004, 12:17 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-bman[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 10:16 AM
    [b] by the way..
    there is NOOOO way in hell a MEDIC is privy to the info...
    more BS from Iraq&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Let me ask you a question bman. How the hell do you know this?

    Must be from your vast military experience. [/b][/quote]
    Come on Thor, be realistic. There is absolutely no way this letter is legit. Imagine if a Liberal here posted something similar to it, but negative instead of positive, matching the Liberal adgenda, not the conservative.

    Would you take that letter as truth too?

    This letter is absolute "Urban Legend-esque" BS. Some of what is says may be true, but there is no way this is a real letter. [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s at least as real as most of the other stuff that gets posted as fact around here.

  17. #17
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Piper+Oct 7 2004, 02:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Piper @ Oct 7 2004, 02:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Warfish@Oct 7 2004, 02:01 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by Thor99@Oct 7 2004, 12:17 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-bman[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 10:16 AM
    [b] by the way..
    there is NOOOO way in hell a MEDIC is privy to the info...
    more BS from Iraq&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Let me ask you a question bman. How the hell do you know this?

    Must be from your vast military experience. [/b][/quote]
    Come on Thor, be realistic. There is absolutely no way this letter is legit. Imagine if a Liberal here posted something similar to it, but negative instead of positive, matching the Liberal adgenda, not the conservative.

    Would you take that letter as truth too?

    This letter is absolute "Urban Legend-esque" BS. Some of what is says may be true, but there is no way this is a real letter. [/b][/quote]
    It&#39;s at least as real as most of the other stuff that gets posted as fact around here. [/b][/quote]
    That may be true. However, I don&#39;t ever post stuff of questionable sourse as "fact". Everything I cut/paste is from either FoxNews.com or CNN.com. I may claim my opinion is fact (as all of us do rather often round here), but I would think you could tell the difference between that kind of posturing and someone claiming some Urban Legend fluff like this was real.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 03:11 PM
    [b] That may be true. However, I don&#39;t ever post stuff of questionable sourse as "fact". Everything I cut/paste is from either FoxNews.com or CNN.com. I may claim my opinion is fact (as all of us do rather often round here), but I would think you could tell the difference between that kind of posturing and someone claiming some Urban Legend fluff like this was real. [/b][/quote]
    Where did I claim that it was real.

    I merely posted it for consideration, knowing how predictable the responses would be.

    Given this link,

    [url=http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/rayreynolds.html]http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/ra...ayreynolds.html[/url]

    A fare amount of this information is puportedly correct and more might be given that the &#39;analysis&#39; was done in Feburary.
    None of that seems to make headlines however, when describing the &#39;quagmire&#39; and the &#39;operational failure&#39;.

  19. #19
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Piper+Oct 7 2004, 03:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Piper @ Oct 7 2004, 03:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warfish[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 03:11 PM
    [b] That may be true. However, I don&#39;t ever post stuff of questionable sourse as "fact". Everything I cut/paste is from either FoxNews.com or CNN.com. I may claim my opinion is fact (as all of us do rather often round here), but I would think you could tell the difference between that kind of posturing and someone claiming some Urban Legend fluff like this was real. [/b][/quote]
    Where did I claim that it was real.

    I merely posted it for consideration, knowing how predictable the responses would be.

    Given this link,

    [url=http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/rayreynolds.html]http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/ra...ayreynolds.html[/url]

    A fare amount of this information is puportedly correct and more might be given that the &#39;analysis&#39; was done in Feburary.
    None of that seems to make headlines however, when describing the &#39;quagmire&#39; and the &#39;operational failure&#39;. [/b][/quote]
    The implication is that it is real Piper, regardless of what you say your intention was now, after the fact.

    And please note, I am NOT disputing the purported "Facts" contained within the lettter in any way. I don&#39;t know, one way or the other, although I have my opinions (of course). I am merly speaking about the letter itself, which is of course, ludicriously fake.

    No, it would appear this is a campaign tool for use exactly as it is used here. To convince people how good the war is and how it&#39;s going by giving it a "human touch" in the form of this lovely letter. Both sides do these kinds of things, so no worries I suppose.

  20. #20
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,667
    FYI, from the breakthechains link above...
    [b]Accurate[/b]
    Over 400,000 kids have up-to-date immunizations.
    [i]though that&#39;s less than 10% of th enation&#39;s children under 5[/i]
    School attendance is up 80% from levels before the war.

    Over 1,500 schools have been renovated and rid of the weapons stored there so education can occur.

    The port of Uhm Qasar was renovated so grain can be off-loaded from ships faster.

    100% of the hospitals are open and fully staffed, compared to 35% before the war.

    An interim constitution has been signed.

    Textbooks that don&#39;t mention Saddam are in the schools for the first time in 30 years.


    [b]Inaccurate[/b]

    The country had its first 2 billion barrel export of oil in August.
    (Oil Production hit 2 million barrells a day in April, 2004)

    Over 4.5 million people have clean drinking water for the first time ever in Iraq.
    (While some treatment facilities needed repair, clean drinking water is not a new thing in Iraq)

    The country now receives 2 times the electrical power it did before the war.
    (Electricity production is only slightly higher than pre-war levels)

    Elections are taking place in every major city, and city councils are in place.
    (Elections remain a point of contention and have been suspended in some cities)


    [b]Unproven or misleading[/b]

    Sewer and water lines are installed in every major city.
    (Work is still underway)

    Over 60,000 police are patrolling the streets.
    (The goal is to train and implement 35 - 50 thousand. The first class of 400 graduated in January, 2004)

    Over 100,000 Iraqi civil defense police are securing the country.
    (About 25,000 were hired and trained as of February 2004)

    Over 80,000 Iraqi soldiers are patrolling the streets side by side with US soldiers.
    (Only 2,000 were operational as of February 2004)

    Over 400,000 people have telephones for the first time ever.
    (Most of the post-war work on the telephone system has focused on restoring service lost or damaged during the war)

    Girls are allowed to attend school.
    (Girls have been allowed to attend school since 1970, more boys than girls typically enrolled)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us