Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Reporter Held in Contempt in CIA Probe

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url=http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=542&u=/ap/20041007/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/cia_leak_1&printer=1]Yahoo News[/url]

Reporter Held in Contempt in CIA Probe

Thu Oct 7,12:56 PM ET

By CURT ANDERSON, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - A federal judge held a reporter in contempt Thursday for refusing to divulge confidential sources to prosecutors investigating the leak of an undercover CIA (news - web sites) officer's identity.

U.S. District Judge Thomas F. Hogan ordered New York Times reporter Judith Miller jailed until she agrees to testify about her sources before a grand jury, but said she could remain free while pursuing an appeal. Miller could be jailed up to 18 months.

Hogan cited Supreme Court rulings that reporters do not have absolute First Amendment protection from testifying about confidential sources. He said there was ample evidence that U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald of Chicago, the special prosecutor in the CIA leak case, had exhausted other avenues of obtaining key testimony before issuing subpoenas to Miller and other reporters.

"The special counsel has made a limited, deferential approach to the press in this matter," Hogan said.

Fitzgerald is investigating whether a crime was committed when someone leaked the identity of CIA officer Valerie Plame, whose name was published by syndicated columnist Robert Novak on July 14, 2003. Novak cited two "senior administration officials" as his sources.

The Novak column appeared after Plame's husband, former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, was critical in a newspaper opinion piece of President Bush (news - web sites)'s claim that Iraq (news - web sites) sought to obtain uranium in Niger. The CIA had sent Wilson to Niger to investigate that claim, which he concluded was unfounded.

Miller's lawyer, Floyd Abrams, said he would quickly file notice of an appeal of Hogan's ruling with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. He and Miller both noted that although she gathered material for a story about Plame, she never wrote one.

"I think it's really frightening when journalists can be put in jail for doing their job effectively," Miller told reporters outside the courthouse.

Fitzgerald also has issued subpoenas to reporters from NBC, Time magazine and The Washington Post. Some have agreed to provide limited testimony after their sources notably Lewis "Scooter" Libby, who is Vice President Cheney's chief of staff released them from their promise of confidentiality.

Miller and Bill Keller, the Times' executive editor, said they would not agree to provide testimony even under those circumstances.

Novak never has said whether he has been subpoenaed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand where you stand on this? Are you crying out for 1st ammendment rights? Or are you just concerned she is going to cave in and reveal it was Cheney's office who leaked the info to Novak? You better hope it comes out after the election. Can we impeach a VP?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 05:19 PM
    [b] I don't understand where you stand on this? Are you crying out for 1st ammendment rights? Or are you just concerned she is going to cave in and reveal it was Cheney's office who leaked the info to Novak? You better hope it comes out after the election. Can we impeach a VP? [/b][/quote]
    I didnt give an opinion, just wanted to post something thats very interesting. But why are you blaming Cheney? The claim isnt Cheney didnt leak it but his chief of staff, which if true, then action should be put on the Chief of staff.

The issue to be talked about is the reporters leaking this confidential information when it seems pretty clear that it wasnt supposed to be let out. The integrity of these reporters is a more significant issue than impeaching a VP.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan+Oct 7 2004, 09:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TheBrodyMan &#064; Oct 7 2004, 09:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 05:19 PM
    [b] I don&#39;t understand where you stand on this? Are you crying out for 1st ammendment rights? Or are you just concerned she is going to cave in and reveal it was Cheney&#39;s office who leaked the info to Novak? You better hope it comes out after the election. Can we impeach a VP? [/b][/quote]
    I didnt give an opinion, just wanted to post something thats very interesting. But why are you blaming Cheney? The claim isnt Cheney didnt leak it but his chief of staff, which if true, then action should be put on the Chief of staff.

The issue to be talked about is the reporters leaking this confidential information when it seems pretty clear that it wasnt supposed to be let out. The integrity of these reporters is a more significant issue than impeaching a VP. [/b][/quote]
    I have a hard time believing Cheney had no involvement. Either way he was Cheney&#39;s chief of staff and Cheney should be held accountable as well. If an employee acts on his employers behalf, the employer can be held responsible. Either way this was a vendictive move by whoever was involved. In fact it is despicable, Joe Wilson speeks out on Iraq with damaging evidence and someone takes it upon themselves to destroy his wifes career and put both of them in danger.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15+Oct 7 2004, 08:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Section109Row15 @ Oct 7 2004, 08:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan@Oct 7 2004, 09:44 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Oct 7 2004, 05:19 PM
    [b] I don&#39;t understand where you stand on this? Are you crying out for 1st ammendment rights? Or are you just concerned she is going to cave in and reveal it was Cheney&#39;s office who leaked the info to Novak? You better hope it comes out after the election. Can we impeach a VP? [/b][/quote]

The issue to be talked about is the reporters leaking this confidential information when it seems pretty clear that it wasnt supposed to be let out. The integrity of these reporters is a more significant issue than impeaching a VP. [/b][/quote]
    I have a hard time believing Cheney had no involvement. Either way he was Cheney&#39;s chief of staff and Cheney should be held accountable as well. If an employee acts on his employers behalf, the employer can be held responsible. Either way this was a vendictive move by whoever was involved. In fact it is despicable, Joe Wilson speeks out on Iraq with damaging evidence and someone takes it upon themselves to destroy his wifes career and put both of them in danger. [/b][/quote]
    And I am sure you firmly believe that kerri and/or edwards was fully involved in the fraud Dan Blather tried to pull over on the American people, correct?

And I&#39;m sure the rats will be screaming at the top of their lungs that Viacom/See BS/Blather must be probed and leaks/sources must be named after they tried to alter the outcome of an election with fraudulent documents.....correct???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Oct 7 2004, 11:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY @ Oct 7 2004, 11:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Section109Row15@Oct 7 2004, 08:02 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan@Oct 7 2004, 09:44 PM

I have a hard time believing Cheney had no involvement. Either way he was Cheney&#39;s chief of staff and Cheney should be held accountable as well. If an employee acts on his employers behalf, the employer can be held responsible. Either way this was a vendictive move by whoever was involved. In fact it is despicable, Joe Wilson speeks out on Iraq with damaging evidence and someone takes it upon themselves to destroy his wifes career and put both of them in danger. [/b][/quote]
    And I am sure you firmly believe that kerri and/or edwards was fully involved in the fraud Dan Blather tried to pull over on the American people, correct?

And I&#39;m sure the rats will be screaming at the top of their lungs that Viacom/See BS/Blather must be probed and leaks/sources must be named after they tried to alter the outcome of an election with fraudulent documents.....correct??? [/b][/quote]
    The CBS thing was despicable as well. They have already named their source.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15+Oct 7 2004, 09:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Section109Row15 @ Oct 7 2004, 09:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Come Back to NY@Oct 7 2004, 11:14 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by Section109Row15@Oct 7 2004, 08:02 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan@Oct 7 2004, 09:44 PM

And I&#39;m sure the rats will be screaming at the top of their lungs that Viacom/See BS/Blather must be probed and leaks/sources must be named after they tried to alter the outcome of an election with fraudulent documents.....correct??? [/b][/quote]
    The CBS thing was despicable as well. They have already named their source. [/b][/quote]
    they did? please enlighten me...they named the person who gave See BS the bogus documents, not where they originally came from...just like Novak is the person who outed Wilson&#39;s wife but where did he get the info from.