Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iraq wasn't a threat??

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, it wasn't right for us to take Sadam out of power, he was a good guy, had no involvement in terrorists or terrorists organizaitions. :blink: :blink:

School Warning
    School Plans, Security Information Gathered by Suspected Iraq Insurgent Focus Concern on Schools in Six States
    By Brian Ross
    ABCNEWS.com
    Oct. 7, 2004 Schools in six states in particular are being watched closely based on information uncovered by the U.S. military in Baghdad this summer, law enforcement and education officials told ABC News.

A man described as an Iraqi insurgent involved in anti-coalition activities had downloaded school floor plans and safety and security information about elementary and high schools in the six states, according to officials.
    School officials in Fort Myers, Fla.; Salem, Ore.; Gray, Ga.; Birch Run, Mich.; two towns in New Jersey; and two towns in California have been told to increase security in light of the discovery.

Officials in the New Jersey towns, Franklinville and Rumson, were notified by counterterrorism officials last month that their schools had been possibly singled out.

"Once we were notified, we immediately put a plan into effect," said Dwight Pfennig, deputy commissioner of education for the state of New Jersey.

And William Matthews, superintendent of schools in Jones County, Ga., sent a letter to parents, faculty and staff last week notifying them that security was being increased during the election season.

"In an effort to be proactive and ensure the safety of all, we are reviewing our school safety plans," Matthews wrote in the letter. "You may notice an increase in law enforcement visibility as well as other measures designed to provide a safe and pleasant environment."

Matthews said in the letter that the information was not considered a threat.

School officials in Salem, Ore., told ABC News affiliate KATU that local law enforcement has no knowledge of a specific threat to any schools there. "The safety of students and staff is a priority to us, and we will continue to make every attempt to keep them secure," Salem Superintendent Kay Baker told KATU.

On Wednesday, the federal government warned schools nationwide to look out for suspicious activity that might signal terrorist activity, and told school officials to be on the lookout for anyone spying on their buildings or buses, expressing interest in obtaining site plans, and other types of suspicious activity.

It followed an analysis by the FBI and the Homeland Security Department of the school siege in Beslan, Russia, last month, in which nearly 340 people, many of them children, were killed.

Law enforcement officials said they had no easy explanation why an insurgent in Baghdad would be gathering such specific information about American schools, some of them in small towns.

And though the information was recovered in July, it was not given urgency until the attack in Beslan.

Ultimately, officials say they are hoping to increase security in schools and heighten awareness without causing parents nationwide to panic.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's crazy stuff...so all insurgents in Iraq are connected to Saddam? Most of the insurgents are Shiites..Shiites HATED saddam, as he was a sunni...
    there are so many people attacking us in Iraq...Mohhammed Atta was an Egyptian..does that mean that the Egyptian president attacked..
    USE LOGIC PEOPLE

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Oct 8 2004, 08:26 AM
    [b] that's crazy stuff...so all insurgents in Iraq are connected to Saddam? Most of the insurgents are Shiites..Shiites HATED saddam, as he was a sunni...
    there are so many people attacking us in Iraq...Mohhammed Atta was an Egyptian..does that mean that the Egyptian president attacked..
    USE LOGIC PEOPLE [/b][/quote]
    bman, this a serious question:

You know that Islamist terrorists come from many countries and ethnicities. Why, then, do you make such a big deal about how Saddam wasn't connected to 9-11? Clearly, neither is this dude who was apparently planning on hitting a school. Clearly, 9-11 is not the only reason we are fighting terrorists. You have also stated repeatedly that you [i]do[/i] support the active pursuit and destruction of terrorists through force, though you disagree with this Iraq War. So, considering all of that, and considering that many terrorists are currently in Iraq, including AQ and others, why is the fact that we are fighting them in Iraq a bad thing? Where else should we be fighting them? Would it be easier to fight them in the ME with Saddam in power or out of power?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i agree with you..
    WHAT I find rediculous is when people look at all these terrorists in Iraq ( a majority of whom showed up after we got there)...and find it logicall to Blame Saddam, therefore justifying the Bush war!

MOST terrorist in the world operate on their own accord...MOST have no connection to any GOV'T...
    some people say well Zarqawi used a hospitle in Bagdad so Saddam was in cohoots with al qeada!!!

Should governor connoly of texas been held accountable when Lee Harvey Oswald shot him and JFK!!
    after all, oswald was working in texas!!

that is some of the logic found on this board!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spread the fear.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bush will bring it up tonight!!
    "see, uhhhhhhhhhhh....school kids from ohio to NJ are being targeted..ONLY uggggg myself and dikie cheney can protect you"!!

Do NOT live in fear..the world is a dangerous place yes....but it's always been...

I remember and growing uo and hearing an urban legend of a Blue VAn driving around neighborhoods and kidnapping children..i think mothers were hysterical for weeks!

yes we live with an Islamic threat..and these zealots will kill kids and behead tourists! BUT..you can still go outside for god's sake!
    you have more probabily of ****tin your pants drunk than being killed by a terrorist.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Oct 8 2004, 08:45 AM
    [b] i agree with you..
    WHAT I find rediculous is when people look at all these terrorists in Iraq ( a majority of whom showed up after we got there)...and find it logicall to Blame Saddam, therefore justifying the Bush war!

MOST terrorist in the world operate on their own accord...MOST have no connection to any GOV'T...
    some people say well Zarqawi used a hospitle in Bagdad so Saddam was in cohoots with al qeada!!!

Should governor connoly of texas been held accountable when Lee Harvey Oswald shot him and JFK!!
    after all, oswald was working in texas!!

that is some of the logic found on this board! [/b][/quote]
    Fair enough, but again, you agree that we should take the fight to the terrorists, and you agree that we are fighting terrorists in Iraq. Also, you state that these people were not there before the war. Logically, that means they had to have come from somewhere, right? So, unless you contend that every terrorist in Iraq was not a terrorist prior to that War (even after the Afghan War) you have to conclude that the Iraq War is not only not a diversion from the War on Terror, but rather a very, very important battle in the broader war on terror. We drove AQ from its secure base in Afghanistan, we are fighting them and Iranian terrosts in Iraq, also, along the way, we've free over 50 million people from tyrannical regimes....

(Now, this is outside of whatever you feel about the mistakes made in the prosecution of the war, bad intel, etc).

Section- do you think terrorism is a legitimate threat or not? Will you remain so glib after (1) you have children of your own or (2) when/if President Kerry ever talks about threats?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    if I walk up to harlem tonight..I mean the scary Harlem..and start screaming the N word.....and then I am attacked...Does that mean that those who attacked me are terrorists and criminals...or did I provoke them?
    BEcause, the US invading and occupying an ENTIRE country who NEVER attacked us, under the guise of fighting terror, is doing nothing but Provoking and fanning the flames of Hatred...

SO MANY of these insurgents in Iraq are NATIONALISTS..MANY were never involved in 'terrorism' ever..THEN we get there and now they fight us...
    EVERYONE knows that an Arab hates a foriegn occupier more than their corrupt leaders...Sure, we are also facing a hardened terrorist element there..STILL, invading and occupying an ENTIRE country for NO reason has got to BE the STUPIDIST thing ever...

ere hated

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Section- do you think terrorism is a legitimate threat or not? Will you remain so glib after (1) you have children of your own or (2) when/if President Kerry ever talks about threats?
    [/b][/quote]

If anything I have more to fear from terrorism than most people here. I work in a government building 2 blocks from the White House. The IMF and World Bank are both across the street. The state department is a few blocks away.

I don't live in fear.

Are you trying to say that this administration doesn't feed on fear? Their goal is to make every American afraid a terrorist attack could happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone, even if you live in Buttfu$% Iowa.

You can't live your lives in fear, and please spare me this crap about the children. I can't count how many times on TV I've heard people from all accross the country claim they support Bush because they fear for their children. If they cared so much for their children, they wouldn't allow them to die in the BS war.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Oct 8 2004, 09:09 AM
    [b] if I walk up to harlem tonight..I mean the scary Harlem..and start screaming the N word.....and then I am attacked...Does that mean that those who attacked me are terrorists and criminals...or did I provoke them?
    BEcause, the US invading and occupying an ENTIRE country who NEVER attacked us, under the guise of fighting terror, is doing nothing but Provoking and fanning the flames of Hatred...

SO MANY of these insurgents in Iraq are NATIONALISTS..MANY were never involved in 'terrorism' ever..THEN we get there and now they fight us...
    EVERYONE knows that an Arab hates a foriegn occupier more than their corrupt leaders...Sure, we are also facing a hardened terrorist element there..STILL, invading and occupying an ENTIRE country for NO reason has got to BE the STUPIDIST thing ever...

ere hated [/b][/quote]
    I'm confused - should we have gone into Afghanistan? When did Afghanistan attack us? If using force and invading and occupying "provokes hatred" what is your preferred method of responding to terrorism and confronting terrorists?

You said not long ago that about the errorists in Iraq - [i]" a majority of whom showed up after we got there[/i])"... Now, apparently, that has changed. Now, they are mostly Iraqi nationals who were not terrorists in February of 2003, but are now.

By your logic, if the US simply leaves Iraq today, the terrorist attacks on Iraqi cilivians would stop immediately, right? I mean, it's just the USA they are Angry at, right? Why are the terrorists in Iraq killing Iraqi civilians if it is simply the occupiers that they despise? Why would any Iraqi, who was not a terrorist two years ago, become so enraged at the USA for invading that he kills little Iraqi children while they are waiting on line to get candy? That just doens't make sense to me....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Oct 8 2004, 09:13 AM
    [b] [quote][b]Section- do you think terrorism is a legitimate threat or not? Will you remain so glib after (1) you have children of your own or (2) when/if President Kerry ever talks about threats?
    [/b][/quote]

If anything I have more to fear from terrorism than most people here. I work in a government building 2 blocks from the White House. The IMF and World Bank are both across the street. The state department is a few blocks away.

I don't live in fear.

Are you trying to say that this administration doesn't feed on fear? Their goal is to make every American afraid a terrorist attack could happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone, even if you live in Buttfu$% Iowa.

You can't live your lives in fear, and please spare me this crap about the children. I can't count how many times on TV I've heard people from all accross the country claim they support Bush because they fear for their children. If they cared so much for their children, they wouldn't allow them to die in the BS war. [/b][/quote]
    I don't live in fear either. I also don't think sharing information is "spreading fear." Do doctors spread fear when they explain symptoms and what diseases those may represent?

Besides, my question was not about your emotional state of mind. It was about whether or not you think terrorism is a legitimate threat.

It's the ultimate Catch -22. Every time the threat level goes up, or something like this happens, people accuse Bush of playing on fears. Then, they claim he did nothing prior to 9-11, they said he was asleep at the switch and should have acted boldly based on opaque intelligence. If another attack happened, they'd say he was asleep at the switch. If they talk about threats, they are "feeding on fear." People say they've made terrorism worse by going into Iraq, but that we can't evener mention terrorism, lest we create a climate of fear.

The goal of the Dmeocrats is to scare everyone. The world is against us! Iraq has made terrorism worse! All of our soldliers everywhere are going to die! Bush risks lives for oil, vote him out! The draft is coming back, and the age is going to eb lowered to 12! Diebold is going to mis-record your votes! Black people will be shot if they try to vote in Florida! My God, Chuck Rangel is clearly doing just that with the draft issue!

Spare me the "fear" nonsense....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have always said I agree 100% with the afghan campaign..First of all, BIN laden RAN the country..He was one with Omar..Justified attack.....

Iraq wasn't behind 9-11, had no wmds and wasn't supporting al qeada..SO i believe it was a war of aggression and has had made us more vulnerable because it has tunred people agaianst us..People who never thought about the US now hate US!.

listen we are creating more monsters by sitting there...You can sit there for 5 more decades and and teh cycle continues...we are killing people who were NEVER going to be able to even leave Iraq!..18 year old kids were Never MY enemy!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Oct 8 2004, 09:29 AM
    [b] I have always said I agree 100% with the afghan campaign..First of all, BIN laden RAN the country..He was one with Omar..Justified attack.....

Iraq wasn't behind 9-11, had no wmds and wasn't supporting al qeada..SO i believe it was a war of aggression and has had made us more vulnerable because it has tunred people agaianst us..People who never thought about the US now hate US!.

listen we are creating more monsters by sitting there...You can sit there for 5 more decades and and teh cycle continues...we are killing people who were NEVER going to be able to even leave Iraq!..18 year old kids were Never MY enemy! [/b][/quote]
    Is AQ our only enemy? Is 9-11 the only reason that we should confront terror?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    by all means confront terror...al qeada is/was the number one threat to the US...IRAQ was down the list....
    AQ was headquareter in afghanistan...that's why we had to go in..with 13,000 troops by the way!

sending 150,000 troops to an old enemy IS NOT confronting terror!
    whose terror did we confront in Iraq? We confronted the shiites and Kurds enemy..NOT OUR enemy!!!that is what is so sad..now we are confrronting many new enemiies there..

dude you can fight terrorism by NOT invading countries...
    five...vinny and key and key on TV this weekend!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Oct 8 2004, 11:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Oct 8 2004, 11:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Section109Row15[/i]@Oct 8 2004, 09:13 AM
    [b] [quote][b]Section- do you think terrorism is a legitimate threat or not? Will you remain so glib after (1) you have children of your own or (2) when/if President Kerry ever talks about threats?
    [/b][/quote]

I don&#39;t live in fear.

Are you trying to say that this administration doesn&#39;t feed on fear? Their goal is to make every American afraid a terrorist attack could happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone, even if you live in Buttfu&#036;% Iowa.

You can&#39;t live your lives in fear, and please spare me this crap about the children. I can&#39;t count how many times on TV I&#39;ve heard people from all accross the country claim they support Bush because they fear for their children. If they cared so much for their children, they wouldn&#39;t allow them to die in the BS war. [/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t live in fear either. I also don&#39;t think sharing information is "spreading fear." Do doctors spread fear when they explain symptoms and what diseases those may represent?

Besides, my question was not about your emotional state of mind. It was about whether or not you think terrorism is a legitimate threat.

It&#39;s the ultimate Catch -22. Every time the threat level goes up, or something like this happens, people accuse Bush of playing on fears. Then, they claim he did nothing prior to 9-11, they said he was asleep at the switch and should have acted boldly based on opaque intelligence. If another attack happened, they&#39;d say he was asleep at the switch. If they talk about threats, they are "feeding on fear." People say they&#39;ve made terrorism worse by going into Iraq, but that we can&#39;t evener mention terrorism, lest we create a climate of fear.

The goal of the Dmeocrats is to scare everyone. The world is against us&#33; Iraq has made terrorism worse&#33; All of our soldliers everywhere are going to die&#33; Bush risks lives for oil, vote him out&#33; The draft is coming back, and the age is going to eb lowered to 12&#33; Diebold is going to mis-record your votes&#33; Black people will be shot if they try to vote in Florida&#33; My God, Chuck Rangel is clearly doing just that with the draft issue&#33;

Spare me the "fear" nonsense.... [/b][/quote]
    You are right there are fear tactics employed on both sides.

Back to the original question. Yes I think terrorism is a threat, but not to the extent it is portrayed.

WTF are people supposed to do when a vague threat goes out? Report any muslim people they see?

As for crying wolf, I definatly believe this administration is preying on peoples fears. They have not announced anything of any substance. The alert a few months ago based on information 2 years old was pathetic.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The FBI is examining the materials, but a Department of Homeland Security official said the intelligence community determined there was no threat.

The military retrieved the disks in Iraq within the last couple of months, and they were turned over to the FBI, one official said Thursday.

"There is no threat associated with this," another government official said.

The schools are in Fort Myers, Florida; Salem, Oregon; Jones County, Georgia; New Jersey; Michigan; and California.

The Department of Homeland Security official said the material was associated with a person in Iraq, and it could not be established that this person had any ties to terrorism. He did have a connection to civic groups doing planning for schools in Iraq, the official said.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Oct 8 2004, 11:56 AM
    [b] The FBI is examining the materials, but a Department of Homeland Security official said the intelligence community determined there was no threat.

The military retrieved the disks in Iraq within the last couple of months, and they were turned over to the FBI, one official said Thursday.

"There is no threat associated with this," another government official said.

The schools are in Fort Myers, Florida; Salem, Oregon; Jones County, Georgia; New Jersey; Michigan; and California.

The Department of Homeland Security official said the material was associated with a person in Iraq, and it could not be established that this person had any ties to terrorism. He did have a connection to civic groups doing planning for schools in Iraq, the official said. [/b][/quote]
    Ahahahahaha omg that is so funny. The guy most likely was downloading floorplans to help creat new Iraqi schools. (Information btw that shouldn&#39;t be available to the public.) What do we do? We call him a terrorist and try to strike fear accross the country.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by OneEyedWonder[/i]@Oct 8 2004, 07:13 AM
    [b] No, it wasn&#39;t right for us to take Sadam out of power, he was a good guy, had no involvement in terrorists or terrorists organizaitions. :blink: :blink:

School Warning
    School Plans, Security Information Gathered by Suspected Iraq Insurgent Focus Concern on Schools in Six States
    By Brian Ross
    ABCNEWS.com
    Oct. 7, 2004 Schools in six states in particular are being watched closely based on information uncovered by the U.S. military in Baghdad this summer, law enforcement and education officials told ABC News.

A man described as an Iraqi insurgent involved in anti-coalition activities had downloaded school floor plans and safety and security information about elementary and high schools in the six states, according to officials.
    School officials in Fort Myers, Fla.; Salem, Ore.; Gray, Ga.; Birch Run, Mich.; two towns in New Jersey; and two towns in California have been told to increase security in light of the discovery.

Officials in the New Jersey towns, Franklinville and Rumson, were notified by counterterrorism officials last month that their schools had been possibly singled out.

"Once we were notified, we immediately put a plan into effect," said Dwight Pfennig, deputy commissioner of education for the state of New Jersey.

And William Matthews, superintendent of schools in Jones County, Ga., sent a letter to parents, faculty and staff last week notifying them that security was being increased during the election season.

"In an effort to be proactive and ensure the safety of all, we are reviewing our school safety plans," Matthews wrote in the letter. "You may notice an increase in law enforcement visibility as well as other measures designed to provide a safe and pleasant environment."

Matthews said in the letter that the information was not considered a threat.

School officials in Salem, Ore., told ABC News affiliate KATU that local law enforcement has no knowledge of a specific threat to any schools there. "The safety of students and staff is a priority to us, and we will continue to make every attempt to keep them secure," Salem Superintendent Kay Baker told KATU.

On Wednesday, the federal government warned schools nationwide to look out for suspicious activity that might signal terrorist activity, and told school officials to be on the lookout for anyone spying on their buildings or buses, expressing interest in obtaining site plans, and other types of suspicious activity.

It followed an analysis by the FBI and the Homeland Security Department of the school siege in Beslan, Russia, last month, in which nearly 340 people, many of them children, were killed.

Law enforcement officials said they had no easy explanation why an insurgent in Baghdad would be gathering such specific information about American schools, some of them in small towns.

And though the information was recovered in July, it was not given urgency until the attack in Beslan.

Ultimately, officials say they are hoping to increase security in schools and heighten awareness without causing parents nationwide to panic. [/b][/quote]
    He had no involvment in terrorists orginizations. What the hell is HAMAS, he has supported all the suicide bombers and there family&#39;s financially. That sounds like a connection to me.

Maybe that&#39;s why all you libs want to take the US flag out of our schools, maybe it is a ploy to trick the terrorists into thinking they are not in the US if they do try and take over a school.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    a-hole...
    Saddam gave money to the familiesof suicide bombers..Not to Hamas..SYria supports Hamas...

OH,,,The sauds (bush allies and friends) also GIVE LOTS of Money to the families of suicide bombers in palestine...
    SO please do not post here unless you know the facts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe that&#39;s why all you libs want to take the US flag out of our schools

:lol:
    funny ****e man..lay down the pipe dude..