Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Role Reversal

This may get me in some trouble with my Yankee brethren, and in fact this may not win me many friends on either side of the aisle {depending upon how RSN feels about carrying their new-found burden}, but as of this moment I would have to lable the Boston Red Sox as the clear-cut favorites to win the A.L. Pennant

The Red Sox will be entering the next round of the playoffs off a sweep in the divisional round, allowing them to perfectly setup their rotation for the ALCS

Which means the team that emerges victorious from the other series will be facing two of this generations greatest starting pitchers, first ballot hall of famers, a minimum of four times ... and both HOF SP's will be entering the ALCS with more rest than any pitcher could ask for or want

And let's be clear about something, these HOF SP's are backed up by a lineup that can also hammer the baseball with the best of them

And their closer ain't no slouch either ... and he too will be fully rested

Conversely, assuming it is the Yankees, their best SP since the All Star break and perennial post season warrior {EL Duque} was suddenly stricken with a dead arm just prior to the start of the playoffs ... as of this writing he has yet to throw a pitch in the month of October

And in the event the Yankees should drop Game 4 to Johan Santana {which is likely}, then win it in 5 with Mussina {which is also likely}, the Red Sox would not even see the Moose till both of their HOF SP's have started Games 1 & 2 ... the Moose will not even see the mound till Game 3

The curse aside, by any objective measure the Red Sox should be installed as an overwhelming favorite ... in baseball parlence, everything has broken their way

Heck, even the Yankees one-time MVP Slugger {Jason Giambi} has long since left the stage ... the same Jason Giambi who launched two critical HR's off Pedro Martinez in last years epic Game 7 ... and while his absence did not prevent the Yankees from winning the A.L. EAST, who in his right mind would suggest the Yankees couldn't use his lumber in the ALCS?

I say all that to say the following .....

If the Red Sox don't beat the Yankees this year, I'll be convinced they never will

Everything ... EVERYTHING {outside of the curse} points to the Red Sox this time around

If there was no history to consider here, a betting man would wager his first born on the Red Sox this time around

So now the tables have turned ... spin it any way you want, Yanks won the division, they have a bigger payroll, blah blah blah ... but by any objective measure the Red Sox should be considered a big favorite here

So now the tables have turned for the Red Sox ... welcome to our world, RSN ... now you learn about the pressure that accompanies a favorite ... now you learn about having to win when you are expected to win ... the Yankees and Yankee fans are all too familiar with being in this position ... now it's your turn ... welcome to our world

In closing, I'll be the first to congratulate you fellas if you beat us ... I won't be a sore loser like so many Yankee haters have been throughout the years ... but first you have to beat us, and right now that's what you're expected to do

Now make no mistake about it, if the Yankees get by Minnesota they'll show up for the ALCS ... they'll come ready to battle with what they have, verses your two HOF SP's and any other advantage you bring to the table ... THE YANKEES WILL SHOW UP ... then as underdogs they'll give you everything they have to offer

But I'll tell you this ... if I were Red Sox fan the mere thought of blowing this opportunity, entering the ALCS verses the Yankees as an overwhelming favorite, with everything breaking our way, would be enough to make my skin crawl

And if you ever did actually blow it ... that would make Bucky Dent and Aaron Boone seem like THE GOOD OLD DAYS

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Oct 9 2004, 08:33 AM
    If the Red Sox don't beat the Yankees this year, I'll be convinced they never will
    Truer words have never been spoken.

For their troubles, making the huge assumption they beat the Yankees, they get the Cardinals (most likely) in the Series.

If the Sox win it they will deserve it.

The Red Sox are still underdogs to win the world series.

Favorites in the ALCS? Yep. They should be. They're the better team. But in a 7 game series anything can happen.

If the Sox don't win this year, then it's sh**** but there's not much more to say.

But should the Red Sox be considered the favorites to win the ALCS? Absolutely.

I agree GJ&H, the Sox will be everybody's pick to beat the yanks. They will point to the rotations and to the series win in the regs eason but they will ignore how well our starters are pitching now and how in every importnat game this year the yanks beat the Sox. Let me recap it:

In April w/ no pressure the Sox take 6 of 7, in June when the race was close the Yanks swept them at yankee Stadium, then w/ no pressure after beating Schilling and extending the lead to 8 or 9 the Sox won the next 2, then after the lead went up to 10 1/2 and the pressure was off the Sox went on an amazing stretch of winning games, then w/ the lead down to 2 and the pressure back the Yanks took 2 of 3 then after they essentially clinched by winning that Fri night game over Pedro the Sox won the next 2. I'm not saying the Sox can't beat the yanks but I'm confident that when it's winning time the yanks will step up again.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Oct 9 2004, 08:17 AM

Favorites in the ALCS? Yep. They should be. They're the better team.
    SSDD

Heard the same crap from you last year.

The Sawx are the better team??? Really???

espn always says the sox are better than the yankees, but the yankees always prove those tools wrong

Banned
    the red sox are a better team than the yankees

overall, a better pitching staff (better 1-2, but the yankees have a better 3-5, which doesnt mean much)

overall, a better lineup (more runs, better batting averege)

better mid relievers

both teams have good benches, i'd say its a tie there

the only edge the Yankees hold is the better bullpen (Rivera deficates all over Keith Foulke), and more home runs

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Oct 9 2004, 04:33 AM
    now you learn about having to win when you are expected to win ... the Yankees and Yankee fans are all too familiar with being in this position ... now it's your turn ... welcome to our world
    The Red Sox won't be in the Yankees world unitl they win 20 + more Championships. In the meanwhile they can pretend.

All League
    Originally posted by Jetlag+Oct 9 2004, 10:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jetlag @ Oct 9 2004, 10:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Green Jets & Ham@Oct 9 2004, 04:33 AM
    now you learn about having to win when you are expected to win ... the Yankees and Yankee fans are all too familiar with being in this position ... now it&#39;s your turn ... welcome to our world
    The Red Sox won&#39;t be in the Yankees world unitl they win 20 + more Championships. In the meanwhile they can pretend. [/b][/quote]
    Get off your damn high horse. If the Red Sox beat the Yankees and win the World Series, they will have done all that Red Sox fans have ever hoped for and be the best team in baseball. What more should they have to do this year to earn respect?

Originally posted by Jetsfan80+Oct 9 2004, 10:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jetsfan80 &#064; Oct 9 2004, 10:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Jetlag@Oct 9 2004, 10:21 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Green Jets & Ham
    @Oct 9 2004, 04:33 AM
    now you learn about having to win when you are expected to win ... the Yankees and Yankee fans are all too familiar with being in this position ... now it&#39;s your turn ... welcome to our world

The Red Sox won&#39;t be in the Yankees world unitl they win 20 + more Championships. In the meanwhile they can pretend.
    Get off your damn high horse. If the Red Sox beat the Yankees and win the World Series, they will have done all that Red Sox fans have ever hoped for and be the best team in baseball. What more should they have to do this year to earn respect? [/b][/quote]
    What are you a Mets fan? If so then please butt out. This is b/w us and Sox fans. They are pathetic children who need to be to bed. When fans run around saying "Yankees Suck" at every public function possible, whether it be the Patriots Championship parade or a Tom Brady fashion show, they need to be put in their place.

All League
    Originally posted by Jetlag+Oct 9 2004, 10:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jetlag @ Oct 9 2004, 10:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Jetsfan80@Oct 9 2004, 10:27 PM

The Red Sox won&#39;t be in the Yankees world unitl they win 20 + more Championships. In the meanwhile they can pretend.

Get off your damn high horse. If the Red Sox beat the Yankees and win the World Series, they will have done all that Red Sox fans have ever hoped for and be the best team in baseball. What more should they have to do this year to earn respect?
    What are you a Mets fan? If so then please butt out. This is b/w us and Sox fans. They are pathetic children who need to be to bed. When fans run around saying "Yankees Suck" at every public function possible, whether it be the Patriots Championship parade or a Tom Brady fashion show, they need to be put in their place. [/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t think the Yankees suck. I just hate Yankee fans who think they are superior human beings.

Originally posted by Jetsfan80@Oct 9 2004, 11:42 PM
    I don&#39;t think the Yankees suck. I just hate Yankee fans who think they are superior human beings.
    80, I think you are mistaking this for something else

Yankee fans don&#39;t feel like superior human beings ... they just revel in rooting for the most successful organization in sports history ... and we love to remind RSN

That last part is key, and you wouldn&#39;t understand it if you are not a part of this rivalry

RSN hates the Yankees with an undying hatred ... I&#39;m talkin a viseral hatred ... I&#39;m talkin the kinda hatred you normally find from kooks like the KKK or Skinheads ... a deep, vicious, and Angry hatred

You wouldn&#39;t fully grasp that if you&#39;re on the outside lookin in, but every Yankee fan is aware of the hatred

So for that reason we love to twist the knife

Trust me bro, it has nothing to do with feeling like superior human beings ... it&#39;s a Yankees/Red Sox thing ... they keep trying to catch us, while hating us with an undying hatred, and we keep twisting the knife

They&#39;re the Coyote and we&#39;re the Road Runner

When you hear Yankee fans rubbing it in, this is just our way of saying ... BEEP BEEP

Let me be the first to say IF the Sox can pull this win out they will only choke in the series :lol:

Originally posted by Smizzy@Oct 10 2004, 12:00 AM
    Let me be the first to say IF the Sox can pull this win out they will only choke in the series :lol:
    I wanna do the honors ourselves, but whatever keeps 1918 alive

Banned
    ESPN.com has a poll on who will win

108,000 people voted

67.5% of people believe the Red Sox will win

we are officially the dogs :o

All Pro
    Originally posted by Jetlag+Oct 9 2004, 10:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jetlag @ Oct 9 2004, 10:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Jetsfan80@Oct 9 2004, 10:27 PM

What are you a Mets fan? If so then please butt out. This is b/w us and Sox fans. They are pathetic children who need to be to bed. When fans run around saying "Yankees Suck" at every public function possible, whether it be the Patriots Championship parade or a Tom Brady fashion show, they need to be put in their place. [/b][/quote]
    Name one yankee fan that doesn&#39;t feel the need to scream out "red sox suck" or "1918" every time they see a sox fan.

Maxman
    Originally posted by Mavrik@Oct 12 2004, 12:20 PM
    Name one yankee fan that doesn&#39;t feel the need to scream out "red sox suck" or "1918" every time they see a sox fan.
    You are so wrong. I only do it every other time I see a Sox fan. Ha.

Originally posted by Maxman@Oct 12 2004, 03:35 PM

You are so wrong. I only do it every other time I see a Sox fan. Ha.
    Because your listening to the voices in your head the other half of the time.

Originally posted by blackout806@Oct 12 2004, 10:33 AM
    ESPN.com has a poll on who will win

108,000 people voted

67.5% of people believe the Red Sox will win

we are officially the dogs :o
    I think the last time the Yankees were underdogs in any series was the 1996 World Series, I forget how that turned out?

Keep living in the past.