Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: A fanbase obsessed with the curse of the bambino

  1. #1
    It's amazing to me to watch the way Yankees fans clutch and grab at the curse. The way grown men call into talk radio and speculate that the Red Sox players are mortally terrified of it.

    What we have come to is this: from '95 to '01 MFY fans were arrogant about their team, and justifiably so. In '99 none of my Yankee friends talked about the curse--- they didn't need to, they were clearly rooting for the better team.

    Now grown men clutch at this ephemeral phantom like rosary beads, and frantically mutter Babe Ruths name as if it is a talisman against all their teams ills.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Because this Red Sox team is the best Sox team of my lifetime--- or yours. Last years team was a titanic set of bats. This years team is almost as good, but with much better defense, more speed, and a better pitching rotation.

    Last years team was managed by a blithering idiottoo cowardly to make the tough call. This years team is not--- Francona for all his flaws has a sack and brain.

    Last years team had a pitching rotation that rested on Pedro Martinez' shoulders, with an injured Pedro followed by The Shaky Derek Lowe, Tim Wakefield, and John Burkett. John Burkett.

    This year Schilling fronts that rotation, leaving Pedro for that number 2 slot--- and yes, Tito better not even think of throwing Pedro out for more than 7 innings--- and the emerging Bronson Arroyo as our 3rd starter. And if you dobt that Bronson has balls the size of Saturn, you missed last nights game. Wakefield as a 4th pitcher can be great or terrible on any given day, but he's as good a 4th SP as you could ask, and I doubt Yankees fans are eager to see him on the mound again.

    This years team is better than last years. A lot better.

    The Yankees? Excellent team, and they've been saved by the fact that they have 6 starters, so even with Hernandez having a dead arm, Vazquez' struggles, and Strutze being Sturtze, they can still throw out a solid 1-2-3 of Mussina, Lieber, Brown.

    Fortunately against RHP the Red Sox can f*cking RAKE. Ortiz and Nixon are solid-but-not-great against southpaws. Against RHP they're Manny Ramirez clones.

    So here we are--- and while I'm not dismissing the possibility of the Twins winning the ALDS, I do expect the Yankees at this point--- the Red Sox are resting up their rotation and preparing for another 7 games of ALCS armageddon, and if you think that the supposed "curse" matters a d*mn to them, you havn't been paying attention. This team is loose and happy, and Schilling with his "why not us?" slogan and his experience atalmost singlehandedly winning it all (respect to Lugo, but Schill and RJ were the dynamic duo) is a prominant driving force for this team.

    So who wins? I don't know, and I'm not going to predict. Either team can win. One mistake, one gust of wind, one greedy fan, one hanging curveball, one bad swing at the wrong time..... baseball, like football, is a game of inches.

    But this is the best Red Sox team of my lifetime, and they're knocking on the door again.

    I love this team.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The curse, the curse, the curse. You don't hear this much around Red Sox Nation because most of us have come to realize or knew all along that grown men don't believe in curses. That talk of a curse is just silly.

    But--- and the hot air machine is just getting warmed up--- MFY fans are steadily referencing the curse, leaning against it as they see the strengths of this Red Sox team and the weaknesses of this Yankee club.

    The shrilling has the tinge of desperation, the tinge of fear.

    The day is coming Yankees fans. If not this year, then soon. Keep leaning on that crutch if you have to, but don't be shocked when it snaps to splinters underneath your weight.

  2. #2
    The curse is manifested to sell books.

    The bottomline as you pointed out RS, is the first red Sox team that is better talent-wise then the Yankees when it matters in 85 years. The post season.

    Now if today&#39;s Sox can overcome then choke job of last season, they will earn their first trip to the WS since I was a teenager. <_<

    If not, JonE will be in here and post 100x in the first 10 minutes of a Yankee truimph.

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    central jersey
    Posts
    4,047
    Whenever the Sox make a mistake , there fans never admit its there own fault they blame it on a curse that doesnt exist. Thats the sad part&#33; Sox have been sucking for 85 years and the majority of the fans blame it on the curse. As a die hard Yankee fan I dont believe in a such thing and I think the whole curse thing is stupid. I like to rub in 1918 because that was the last time they even won a championship not the curse of the bambino. I just feel the sox are a terrible franchise with a history of losing. Each year is a new year, the sox prove every year there not worthy of it and maybe this year they can change that. One things for sure when the Yankees get past the twins they will move onto the alcs and put the sox in there place......At home in the world series ... watching it on tv&#33;

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,918
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Oct 9 2004, 09:02 AM
    It&#39;s amazing to me to watch the way Yankees fans clutch and grab at the curse. The way grown men call into talk radio and speculate that the Red Sox players are mortally terrified of it.

    What we have come to is this: from &#39;95 to &#39;01 MFY fans were arrogant about their team, and justifiably so. In &#39;99 none of my Yankee friends talked about the curse--- they didn&#39;t need to, they were clearly rooting for the better team.

    Now grown men clutch at this ephemeral phantom like rosary beads, and frantically mutter Babe Ruths name as if it is a talisman against all their teams ills.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Because this Red Sox team is the best Sox team of my lifetime--- or yours. Last years team was a titanic set of bats. This years team is almost as good, but with much better defense, more speed, and a better pitching rotation.

    Last years team was managed by a blithering idiottoo cowardly to make the tough call. This years team is not--- Francona for all his flaws has a sack and brain.

    Last years team had a pitching rotation that rested on Pedro Martinez&#39; shoulders, with an injured Pedro followed by The Shaky Derek Lowe, Tim Wakefield, and John Burkett. John Burkett.

    This year Schilling fronts that rotation, leaving Pedro for that number 2 slot--- and yes, Tito better not even think of throwing Pedro out for more than 7 innings--- and the emerging Bronson Arroyo as our 3rd starter. And if you dobt that Bronson has balls the size of Saturn, you missed last nights game. Wakefield as a 4th pitcher can be great or terrible on any given day, but he&#39;s as good a 4th SP as you could ask, and I doubt Yankees fans are eager to see him on the mound again.

    This years team is better than last years. A lot better.

    The Yankees? Excellent team, and they&#39;ve been saved by the fact that they have 6 starters, so even with Hernandez having a dead arm, Vazquez&#39; struggles, and Strutze being Sturtze, they can still throw out a solid 1-2-3 of Mussina, Lieber, Brown.

    Fortunately against RHP the Red Sox can f*cking RAKE. Ortiz and Nixon are solid-but-not-great against southpaws. Against RHP they&#39;re Manny Ramirez clones.

    So here we are--- and while I&#39;m not dismissing the possibility of the Twins winning the ALDS, I do expect the Yankees at this point--- the Red Sox are resting up their rotation and preparing for another 7 games of ALCS armageddon, and if you think that the supposed "curse" matters a d*mn to them, you havn&#39;t been paying attention. This team is loose and happy, and Schilling with his "why not us?" slogan and his experience atalmost singlehandedly winning it all (respect to Lugo, but Schill and RJ were the dynamic duo) is a prominant driving force for this team.

    So who wins? I don&#39;t know, and I&#39;m not going to predict. Either team can win. One mistake, one gust of wind, one greedy fan, one hanging curveball, one bad swing at the wrong time..... baseball, like football, is a game of inches.

    But this is the best Red Sox team of my lifetime, and they&#39;re knocking on the door again.

    I love this team.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The curse, the curse, the curse. You don&#39;t hear this much around Red Sox Nation because most of us have come to realize or knew all along that grown men don&#39;t believe in curses. That talk of a curse is just silly.

    But--- and the hot air machine is just getting warmed up--- MFY fans are steadily referencing the curse, leaning against it as they see the strengths of this Red Sox team and the weaknesses of this Yankee club.

    The shrilling has the tinge of desperation, the tinge of fear.

    The day is coming Yankees fans. If not this year, then soon. Keep leaning on that crutch if you have to, but don&#39;t be shocked when it snaps to splinters underneath your weight.
    What Seymore is really saying.....


    "Dear God....Please, oh please please please please please please let my Sawx win once in my lifetime....please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please.....I must die in peace" :lol:

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,918
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Oct 9 2004, 09:02 AM
    I do expect the Yankees at this point---
    What happened to

    "The Twins in 5, and I&#39;m sticking to it."???


    You are the epitome as to why we Yankess fans enjoy whipping the Sawx year after year

    As we will once again this year....but Seymore...I won&#39;t be as nice.


    Will you ever learn???

  6. #6
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Oct 9 2004, 12:44 PM
    Dear God....Please, oh please please please please please please let my Jets win once in my lifetime....please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please.....I must die in peace
    JonE, this is the baseball forum. Lets keep your loser football team out of it.

  7. #7
    Checkout the signature .....

    Heeeeeee&#39;s Baaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaack :ph34r:

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    bangor, maine
    Posts
    2,860
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Oct 9 2004, 09:02 AM
    It&#39;s amazing to me to watch the way Yankees fans clutch and grab at the curse. The way grown men call into talk radio and speculate that the Red Sox players are mortally terrified of it.

    What we have come to is this: from &#39;95 to &#39;01 MFY fans were arrogant about their team, and justifiably so. In &#39;99 none of my Yankee friends talked about the curse--- they didn&#39;t need to, they were clearly rooting for the better team.

    Now grown men clutch at this ephemeral phantom like rosary beads, and frantically mutter Babe Ruths name as if it is a talisman against all their teams ills.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Because this Red Sox team is the best Sox team of my lifetime--- or yours. Last years team was a titanic set of bats. This years team is almost as good, but with much better defense, more speed, and a better pitching rotation.

    Last years team was managed by a blithering idiottoo cowardly to make the tough call. This years team is not--- Francona for all his flaws has a sack and brain.

    Last years team had a pitching rotation that rested on Pedro Martinez&#39; shoulders, with an injured Pedro followed by The Shaky Derek Lowe, Tim Wakefield, and John Burkett. John Burkett.

    This year Schilling fronts that rotation, leaving Pedro for that number 2 slot--- and yes, Tito better not even think of throwing Pedro out for more than 7 innings--- and the emerging Bronson Arroyo as our 3rd starter. And if you dobt that Bronson has balls the size of Saturn, you missed last nights game. Wakefield as a 4th pitcher can be great or terrible on any given day, but he&#39;s as good a 4th SP as you could ask, and I doubt Yankees fans are eager to see him on the mound again.

    This years team is better than last years. A lot better.

    The Yankees? Excellent team, and they&#39;ve been saved by the fact that they have 6 starters, so even with Hernandez having a dead arm, Vazquez&#39; struggles, and Strutze being Sturtze, they can still throw out a solid 1-2-3 of Mussina, Lieber, Brown.

    Fortunately against RHP the Red Sox can f*cking RAKE. Ortiz and Nixon are solid-but-not-great against southpaws. Against RHP they&#39;re Manny Ramirez clones.

    So here we are--- and while I&#39;m not dismissing the possibility of the Twins winning the ALDS, I do expect the Yankees at this point--- the Red Sox are resting up their rotation and preparing for another 7 games of ALCS armageddon, and if you think that the supposed "curse" matters a d*mn to them, you havn&#39;t been paying attention. This team is loose and happy, and Schilling with his "why not us?" slogan and his experience atalmost singlehandedly winning it all (respect to Lugo, but Schill and RJ were the dynamic duo) is a prominant driving force for this team.

    So who wins? I don&#39;t know, and I&#39;m not going to predict. Either team can win. One mistake, one gust of wind, one greedy fan, one hanging curveball, one bad swing at the wrong time..... baseball, like football, is a game of inches.

    But this is the best Red Sox team of my lifetime, and they&#39;re knocking on the door again.

    I love this team.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The curse, the curse, the curse. You don&#39;t hear this much around Red Sox Nation because most of us have come to realize or knew all along that grown men don&#39;t believe in curses. That talk of a curse is just silly.

    But--- and the hot air machine is just getting warmed up--- MFY fans are steadily referencing the curse, leaning against it as they see the strengths of this Red Sox team and the weaknesses of this Yankee club.

    The shrilling has the tinge of desperation, the tinge of fear.

    The day is coming Yankees fans. If not this year, then soon. Keep leaning on that crutch if you have to, but don&#39;t be shocked when it snaps to splinters underneath your weight.
    you guys had a knife to our nutsack last year in the 8th inning with one out

    and instead, you guys ended up being the one&#39;s who got castrated

    if that doesnt involve a curse, then nothing does.


    the curse was invented because Red Sox fans want to find an excuse in why they&#39;ve sucked for 85 years while a team only a few hundred miles away from them has been in 40% of all World Series that have ever taken place (and they even spotted the first 20 years)

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,530
    This isn&#39;t a rivalry..it&#39;s a seal hunt, and you know who&#39;s been gettin&#39; the hard end of the stick off the side of the head since, oh, 1918?

    Come to Daddy...Schilling takes 1 or 2...Yanks in 5 or 6.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,095
    Man, its really gotta suck to be a sox fan

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,095
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Oct 9 2004, 05:43 PM
    Checkout the signature .....

    Heeeee&#39;s Baaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaack :ph34r:
    Great post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us