Thread: "Non-Biased" "Non-left leaning" MSM at it again

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][b]It goes without saying that the stakes are getting very high for the country and the campaigns - and our responsibilities become quite grave

I do not want to set off (sp?) and endless colloquy that none of us have time for today - nor do I want to stifle one. Please respond if you feel you can advance the discussion.

The New York Times (Nagourney/Stevenson) and Howard Fineman on the web both make the same point today: the current Bush attacks on Kerry involve distortions and taking things out of context in a way that goes beyond what Kerry has done.

Kerry distorts, takes out of context, and mistakes all the time, but these are not central to his efforts to win.

[b]We have a responsibility to hold both sides accountable to the public interest, but that doesn't mean we reflexively and artificially hold both sides "equally" accountable when the facts don't warrant that.[/b]

I'm sure many of you have this week felt the stepped up Bush efforts to complain about our coverage. This is all part of their efforts to get away with as much as possible with the stepped up, renewed efforts to win the election by destroying Senator Kerry at least partly through distortions.

It's up to Kerry to defend himself, of course. But as one of the few news organizations with the skill and strength to help voters evaluate what the candidates are saying to serve the public interest. Now is the time for all of us to step up and do that right. [/b][/quote]

Now, if this were a note written and passed out from the kerri campaign it would be understandable...if the scum at Moveon.org sent this out to members, well that's fine to....if the herion shooters over at Err America read this aloud on the air between trips, hey, that's there right...

Yet this is an internal memo written and sent out to employees of ABC News by ABCNEWS Political Director Mark Halperin giving them a silent directive not to hold kerri accountable the way the President should be held accountable...yes Samantha, there is no liberal bias in the press&#33; <_<

[quote][b]We have a responsibility to hold both sides accountable to the public interest, but that doesn&#39;t mean we reflexively and artificially hold both sides "equally" accountable [b][u]when the facts don&#39;t warrant that[/u][/b].[/b][/quote]

Source please?

In any event, what is wrong with holding people aqccountable based on the facts, as this statement (which you highlighted) states? If facts do not warrant holding someone accountable, why should they still be treated as such?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Oct 9 2004, 02:51 PM
    [b] [quote][b]We have a responsibility to hold both sides accountable to the public interest, but that doesn&#39;t mean we reflexively and artificially hold both sides "equally" accountable [b][u]when the facts don&#39;t warrant that[/u][/b].[/b][/quote]

Source please?

In any event, what is wrong with holding people aqccountable based on the facts, as this statement (which you highlighted) states? If facts do not warrant holding someone accountable, why should they still be treated as such? [/b][/quote]
    once again warfish at his best&#33;

There is nothing with holding people accountable...they should practice what they preach when kerri goes around the country telling people GWB with restart the draft, or "dissenfranchise" black voters or better yet- look into kerri&#39;s 20-year senatorial history when he talks about build "broad coalitions", improving the nation&#39;s intelligence services or increasing the military budget....

Or better yet...after glorifying the michael moore-on&#39;s, Paul O&#39;Neill&#39;s, Richard Clarke&#39;s and Joe Wilson&#39;s of the world maybe they should have the balls to give equal time to SwiftBoatVeterans for truth rather then just discard them...I&#39;m sure you agree being they (SBVT) feel kerri has a large degree of accountability for the events 30 years ago which he is basing his campaign largely on?

[quote][b]There is nothing with holding people accountable...they should practice what they preach when kerri goes around the country telling people GWB with restart the draft, or "dissenfranchise" black voters or better yet- look into kerri&#39;s 20-year senatorial history when he talks about build "broad coalitions", improving the nation&#39;s intelligence services or increasing the military budget....

Or better yet...after glorifying the michael moore-on&#39;s, Paul O&#39;Neill&#39;s, Richard Clarke&#39;s and Joe Wilson&#39;s of the world maybe they should have the balls to give equal time to SwiftBoatVeterans for truth rather then just discard them...I&#39;m sure you agree being they (SBVT) feel kerri has a large degree of accountability for the events 30 years ago which he is basing his campaign largely on? [/b][/quote]

Sucks to be you. Cheer up though little camper. Sinclair Broadcast Group feels your pain.

Sinclair&#39;s stolen honor

CBS News spikes a story on the Bush administration potentially deceiving the American people about Saddam Hussein&#39;s nuclear capabilities before the war -- a story set to run in September -- because it would be, Andrew Heyward said, "inappropriate" during the presidential campaign.

But conservative Sinclair Broadcast Group is forcing its stations, which reach nearly one-quarter of the country&#39;s TV households, to pre-empt their programming days before the election to air a film that attacks John Kerry&#39;s anti-war activism.

From the Los Angeles Times:

"Sinclair&#39;s programming plan, communicated to executives in recent days and coming in the thick of a close and intense presidential race, is highly unusual even in a political season that has been marked by media controversies. Sinclair has told its stations -- many of them in political swing states such as Ohio and Florida -- to air &#39;Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal,&#39; sources said. The film, funded by Pennsylvania veterans and produced by a veteran and former Washington Times reporter, features former POWs accusing Kerry -- a decorated Navy veteran turned war protester -- of worsening their ordeal by prolonging the war. Sinclair will preempt regular prime-time programming from the networks to show the film, which may be classified as news programming, according to TV executives familiar with the plan."

"Sinclair stations are spread throughout the country, in major markets that include Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Las Vegas; its only California station is in Sacramento. Fourteen of the 62 stations the company either owns or programs are in the key political swing states of Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, where the presidential election is being closely fought. Station and network sources said they have been told the Sinclair stations -- which include affiliates of Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, as well as WB and UPN -- will be preempting regular programming for one hour between Oct. 21 and Oct. 24, depending on the city. The airing of "Stolen Honor" will be followed by a panel discussion, which Kerry will be asked to join, thus potentially satisfying fairness regulations, the sources said. Kerry campaign officials said they had been unaware of Sinclair&#39;s plans to air the film, and said Kerry had not received an invitation to appear."

Sinclair, you may recall, ordered its seven ABC stations not to air the Nightline program that featured the names and photos of soldiers killed in Iraq -- because Sinclair officials said the program "appeared to be motivated by a political agenda."

-- Geraldine Sealey

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Gobbles..anymore credible stories from Capital Blue Balls?? ;) :lol:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[b]Kopel: CBS peddling bogus draft fears
    Local papers do better job of finding truth behind Dem-inspired red herring

October 9, 2004[/b]

Some people are so gullible that they believe the get-rich-quick e-mail that purportedly comes from relatives of deposed African dictators. Other people are so gullible that they&#39;ve fallen for an e-mail hoax claiming that the military draft will be reinstated next spring. The media don&#39;t run stories that treat the African scam letters as possibly true, but the media have, unfortunately, not always been so accurate about the draft hoax.

For example, on Sept. 29, the CBS Evening News showed its continuing disinterest in document authenticity by producing a story about a family that was worried about the e-mails.

CBS never vouched for the veracity of the lies contained in the e-mails, but neither did CBS debunk the e-mails. Instead, CBS brought forward a mother who was supposedly a Bush supporter from Philadelphia, but who was fearful about the draft. What CBS didn&#39;t tell the viewers is that this mother is actually an anti-war activist who has been part of the campaign spreading phony draft rumors. For details, including CBS&#39; weak defense of the story, see Beldar Blog for Sept. 29 ([url]http://beldar.blogs.com/[/url] beldarblog/), and the INDC Journal weblog for Sept. 30 ("INDC Interviews the CBS Evening News" at [url=http://www.indcjournal.com/]http://www.indcjournal.com/[/url] archives/2004_09.php).

Covering the draft controversy in Colorado, the Rocky Mountain News (Sept. 27) produced an excellent 45-paragraph story, showing how unlikely a new draft really was. The Denver Post&#39;s article came two days later, was about half as long, and concentrated on college student reactions to the threat of the draft. The article provided a balance of credulous students who were fearful of the imminent draft, and others who knew better.

According to the Gallup Poll, 20 percent of the U.S. population doubts whether the Apollo moon landing happened. But just because there are a lot of lunatics on this planet does not mean that a story about lunar exploration should give paragraph after paragraph to people laboring under self-inflicted delusions. The same might be said about giving space to people who worked themselves into a dither over a draft bill with almost zero chance of becoming law.

Both papers, and CBS, would have done better to point out that the congressional draft bill sponsors were not really people who wanted a stronger military, but were 16 far-left Democratic representatives who wanted just the opposite. As the excellent rumor debunking Web site Snopes.com put it, the draft "bills were introduced not by legislators genuinely seeking to reinstate the draft, but by Democrats seeking to make an anti-war statement."

That even the sponsors did not really want a draft became indisputable on Oct. 5 when the draft bill, HR 163, was called up for a vote on the floor of the House, and was crushed by a vote of 402-2 - with most of its sponsors refusing to vote for it.

On Oct. 6, the Post did the better job of informing readers about the vote. The Post put the Associated Press report at the top of Page 2, whereas the News ran a much shorter version, in the middle of Page 32. The Post also ran an opinion column by Kathleen Parker deconstructing the draft rumors.

Rather than giving so much space to lies of e-mail hoaxsters, the Denver papers and CBS should have contacted the anti-draft, anti-war organization Alliance for Security. The group has written a report, "Debunking the Myths: Getting the Draft Story Straight," which refutes the e-mail claims that a draft was coming next spring because of HR 163.

And when doing stories about young people who are worried about being forced into government service, the Denver and national media should have pointed out that John Kerry is the only candidate who has proposed such coercion. As detailed in Kerry&#39;s proposal "100 Days to Change America," Kerry&#39;s "plan will require mandatory national service for high school kids . . . As president, John Kerry will ensure that every high school student in America does community service as a requirement for graduation." The plan appeared on Kerry&#39;s Web site at [url]www.johnkerry[/url]. com/issues/100days/. Like many other pages on Kerry&#39;s Web site, this one has disappeared without explanation, but you can still find the page by entering the original URL into the "search" box at [url]www.archive.org[/url].

The Colorado media have reported the claims made in Colorado by Kerry surrogate Max Cleland and by Kerry stepson Andre Heinz that a new draft may be on the way. So that voters can assess such claims, it would have been helpful for the media to inform Coloradans about Kerry&#39;s own shifting positions on forced labor. As the Committee Opposed to Militarism and the Draft ([url]www.comdsd.org[/url]) observes, Kerry&#39;s plan for mandatory national service could create the foundation for mandatory national military service.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Oct 9 2004, 04:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY @ Oct 9 2004, 04:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warfish[/i]@Oct 9 2004, 02:51 PM
    [b] [quote][b]We have a responsibility to hold both sides accountable to the public interest, but that doesn&#39;t mean we reflexively and artificially hold both sides "equally" accountable [b][u]when the facts don&#39;t warrant that[/u][/b].[/b][/quote]

Source please?

In any event, what is wrong with holding people aqccountable based on the facts, as this statement (which you highlighted) states? If facts do not warrant holding someone accountable, why should they still be treated as such? [/b][/quote]

There is nothing with holding people accountable...they should practice what they preach when kerri goes around the country telling people GWB with restart the draft, or "dissenfranchise" black voters or better yet- look into kerri&#39;s 20-year senatorial history when he talks about build "broad coalitions", improving the nation&#39;s intelligence services or increasing the military budget....

Or better yet...after glorifying the michael moore-on&#39;s, Paul O&#39;Neill&#39;s, Richard Clarke&#39;s and Joe Wilson&#39;s of the world maybe they should have the balls to give equal time to SwiftBoatVeterans for truth rather then just discard them...I&#39;m sure you agree being they (SBVT) feel kerri has a large degree of accountability for the events 30 years ago which he is basing his campaign largely on? [/b][/quote]
    I may have missed it, but I don&#39;t see listing your source yet. I would apprecate a link, or at least a source, before I put any credence into this "insider" information.

As for the rest of your post, it is the same rehashed talking points I get from FoxNews everyday. No better (or accurate) than the rehashed talking points the Libs give on CNN.com everyday. Spin, spin spin is all we get these days.

I would say we could agree that BOTH sides should be held accountable for their dishonesty, and their has been plenty on both sides so far. However, I know your view is that the Conservatives haven&#39;t been dishonest at all over the past 4 years, so it would be a waste of breath on my end.

Undrafted Free Agent
    [color=blue][b]Don&#39;t tell me ABC is getting into the game of Bush bashing&#33;&#33;[/b][/color] ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish+Oct 10 2004, 12:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Warfish @ Oct 10 2004, 12:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by Come Back to NY@Oct 9 2004, 04:08 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin-Warfish[/i]@Oct 9 2004, 02:51 PM

Source please?

I may have missed it, but I don&#39;t see listing your source yet. I would apprecate a link, or at least a source, before I put any credence into this "insider" information.

As for the rest of your post, it is the same rehashed talking points I get from FoxNews everyday. No better (or accurate) than the rehashed talking points the Libs give on CNN.com everyday. Spin, spin spin is all we get these days.

I would say we could agree that BOTH sides should be held accountable for their dishonesty, and their has been plenty on both sides so far. However, I know your view is that the Conservatives haven&#39;t been dishonest at all over the past 4 years, so it would be a waste of breath on my end. [/b][/quote]
    Back it up...show me a memo from a news director at Fox that states kerri&#39;s attacks on the President were out of line smear tactics or better yet, show me proog that Fox had its&#39; lead anchor dedicate a bogus story on a news program which used obvious false documents to smear kerri...until then your arguement is baseless.

[url=http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/data/2004/10/09/20041009_195805_mh.htm]http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/data/2...9_195805_mh.htm[/url]

So, your source was Drudge. Thank You.