Thread: Boston Globe Warns RSN

BOSTON GLOBE

By Dan Shaughnessy

You asked for it. You got it.

Ever-clutch, the Yankees rallied from a 5-1 deficit in the eighth inning at Minnesota last night and finished off the Twins, 6-5, in 11 innings in Game 4 of the American League Division Series to advance to the ALCS against the Red Sox, beginning Tuesday night in the Bronx.

There it is. Almost a full 12 months since He Who Must Not Be Named stuck with Pedro, and Aaron Boone struck a home run for the ages, the Red Sox and Yankees have smashed their way back to the top of the heap in the AL. They have more than a century of hardball history, the two highest payrolls in baseball, and the most animosity in sports. It's Texas-Oklahoma 26 times a year.

Let's face it: Boston-New York is the series America wants. It will be impossible to steer clear of all things Red Sox and Yankees over the next 10 days. It'll be easier avoiding Kerry and Bush. Red Sox-Yankees transcends wins and losses. It's bombastic and biblical. The tonnage of coverage generated by another Boston-New York Trojan War will exceed that of any sports story of this century. The Rivalry is quite simply the greatest team sports story ever told.

Consider this: in the last two years, the teams have played 45 times and the Sox lead, 23-22. How's that for parity?

On the other hand, the Yanks have a slight edge of 26-0 in world championships since Sox owner Harry Frazee sold the greatest player of all time to the Yankees.

Folks in New York are genuinely amused to hear that Boston media outlets and many Sox fans wanted to play the Yankees in the ALCS.

It's the ancient "Be careful what you wish for" element.

Those who remember Larry Bird's golden days might recall a playoff game in Cleveland in 1985 when Bird stayed back in the team hotel because of a sore elbow. The Cavaliers beat the Celtics and Cleveland fans chanted, "We want Bird!" in the final minutes. At practice before the next game, an enraged Larry said, "They want me, they'll get me with both barrels." And they did. Bird torched the Cavaliers the next night, knocking Cleveland out of the playoffs.

So are you sure you want the Yankees, Sox fans?

Certainly the Yanks appear vulnerable. New York's pitching is mush and the Sox beat the Yankees 11 times in 19 meetings this year. It would certainly enhance any Boston World Series experience if the Sox were to arrive at the Fall Classic at the expense of the Yankees. Especially after last October. And after Babe Ruth. And after Bucky Dent. And after the hideous Alex Rodriguez negotiations of last winter.

But let's remind ourselves that the 2004 Yankees have the highest payroll in the history of baseball. They have 16 players who have been All-Stars. They won that clutch, 13-inning game over the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium July 1, one of the greatest regular-season games ever played. In 30 starts against Pedro Martinez, they have won 19 times, including 17 of 23 since June 2000.

The Yankees, remember, are Pedro's daddy.

Ouch.

The Yankees are also clutch. Remember those New York teams in the late 1970s with all the guys who wanted to bat at the end of the close games? Their names were Jackson, Chambliss, Munson, Piniella, Nettles, and Rivers. You didn't want to face any of them with the game on the line.

This new group is equally fearless. Derek Jeter is the greatest clutch player of his generation. Gary Sheffield, Hideki Matsui, Bernie Williams, and Jorge Posada are worthy pinstripe progeny. And now A-Rod looks as if he might be a clutch player, after all. He had huge hits in both Game 2 and Game 4 of the Twins series, and his heads-up stolen base stole Game 4 in extra innings. He's finally making his bones with the perennial champs.

The Yanks were buried last night. They trailed, 5-1, in the eighth. Then they got it done. With a lot of help from their millionaire bench in the person of Ruben Sierra (game-tying three-run homer). Oh, and let's not forget the indomitable Mariano Rivera, the greatest October closer of them all, a man who turns the enemy bat rack into kindling.

Begging to play the Yankees might have been a mistake.

But that's the rule only if you are a practical person. And if you are a Sox fan, you are not a practical person. You are emotional. You wanted the Yankees. And now you have them.

A new chapter in the greatest team sports story ever told.

The RSN wants to finally vanquish the demons that have been kicking us in the nuts the past 86 years. What better way then to defeat the 800 pound gorillia that has been your main tormenter.

My fear is the Sox spend so much energy defeating the Yanks, they have nothing left in the tank for the Cards.

Maxman
    Originally posted by PFSIKH@Oct 10 2004, 08:20 AM
    My fear is the Sox spend so much energy defeating the Yanks, they have nothing left in the tank for the Cards.
    That fear is valid. The Yankees lost to the Marlins last year for the exact same reason I believe.

Originally posted by PFSIKH@Oct 10 2004, 05:20 AM
    Get your head out of your ass!

All Pro
    wow, i can just imagine looking at the utter denial of all the yankee posters here if the sox actually pull it off. JonEJet will be calling people out.

Will any of you Yankee fans actually concede defeat if the Sox beat you, or will you just claim that the Yanks were swindled out of it or make 90 million references to 1918.

Maxman
    Originally posted by Mavrik@Oct 11 2004, 12:06 AM
    wow, i can just imagine looking at the utter denial of all the yankee posters here if the sox actually pull it off. JonEJet will be calling people out.

Will any of you Yankee fans actually concede defeat if the Sox beat you, or will you just claim that the Yanks were swindled out of it or make 90 million references to 1918.
    If the Sox beat the Yankees I will be here the first chance I get. And I will congratulate them. Umps are part of the game so you will never see me complain about a bad call.

The Sox are a good team. The Yankees are a good team. The Sox have been hotter so I think they should be the favorites. Should be a great series.

Originally posted by Maxman@Oct 11 2004, 01:14 AM
    Should be a great series.
    No it won't ... the Yankees are gonna get their clocks cleaned

You wanna know what the mystique of the Yankees has really been all about over the past decade ... what has really seperated them from the pack?

And now physically we'll be without #42 for perhaps 2 Games ... mentally who knows how long ... I don't think I would give a wit about baseball if two of my family members were just tragically killed

So I'll just pray for the GREATEST YANKEE I have ever seen and congratulate the Red Sox now

Maxman
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Oct 11 2004, 01:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Oct 11 2004, 01:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Maxman@Oct 11 2004, 01:14 AM
    No it won&#39;t ... the Yankees are gonna get their clocks cleaned

You wanna know what the mystique of the Yankees has really been all about over the past decade ... what has really seperated them from the pack?

And now physically we&#39;ll be without #49 for perhaps 2 Games ... mentally who knows how long ... I don&#39;t think I would give a wit about baseball if two of my family members were just tragically killed

So I&#39;ll just pray for the GREATEST YANKEE I have ever seen and congratulate the Red Sox now [/b][/quote]
    Ron Guidry won&#39;t be available? I agree the Yankees would have lost in 1978 without Guidry.

Ham for you...I recommend that you get some sleep.

The Yankees were not a lock with Rivera, they are not a lock without him. This Sox team is good. They can beat the Yankees even with Mo.

Doesn&#39;t take away from my first point...that this should be a good series.

Originally posted by Maxman@Oct 11 2004, 01:26 AM
    Ron Guidry won&#39;t be available? I agree the Yankees would have lost in 1978 without Guidry.

Ham for you...I recommend that you get some sleep.

The Yankees were not a lock with Rivera, they are not a lock without him. This Sox team is good. They can beat the Yankees even with Mo.

Doesn&#39;t take away from my first point...that this should be a good series.
    Oops ... I deserve that slap for getting this mans number wrong

But you knew who I meant and I made the necessary edit

Thanks for the heads up ... and that well deserved slap

For all the Sox success, even winning the season series, they have yet to proove they can beat the Yanks when it counts. Any meaningful game since 1999 when push came to shove the Yanks pushed harder.

The Sox need to push harder this time. They need to show the Yankees who the better team is.

Hall Of Fame
    Of all the people in RSN, it is Dan Shaunnessey that wanted this series more than anyone else. He, being the "creator" of the "Curse" Built a friggin&#39;; cottage industry out of it....

All Pro
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Oct 11 2004, 12:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Oct 11 2004, 12:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Maxman@Oct 11 2004, 01:14 AM

And now physically we&#39;ll be without #42 for perhaps 2 Games ... mentally who knows how long ... I don&#39;t think I would give a wit about baseball if two of my family members were just tragically killed

So I&#39;ll just pray for the GREATEST YANKEE I have ever seen and congratulate the Red Sox now [/b][/quote]
    I thought Major League Baseball retired #42 for Jackie Robinson? Am I wrong?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Mavrik+Oct 11 2004, 07:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mavrik @ Oct 11 2004, 07:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Oct 11 2004, 12:22 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Maxman
    @Oct 11 2004, 01:14 AM

And now physically we&#39;ll be without #42 for perhaps 2 Games ... mentally who knows how long ... I don&#39;t think I would give a wit about baseball if two of my family members were just tragically killed

So I&#39;ll just pray for the GREATEST YANKEE I have ever seen and congratulate the Red Sox now
    I thought Major League Baseball retired #42 for Jackie Robinson? Am I wrong? [/b][/quote]
    They did

But there was a sort of grandfather clause built in

For those players who already had the #...they would be able to keep it&#33;&#33;

Maxman
    Originally posted by JonEJet+Oct 11 2004, 09:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JonEJet @ Oct 11 2004, 09:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Mavrik@Oct 11 2004, 07:59 PM
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Oct 11 2004, 12:22 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin-Maxman
    @Oct 11 2004, 01:14 AM

So I&#39;ll just pray for the GREATEST YANKEE I have ever seen and congratulate the Red Sox now

I thought Major League Baseball retired #42 for Jackie Robinson? Am I wrong?
    They did

But there was a sort of grandfather clause built in

For those players who already had the #...they would be able to keep it&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Right now I believe Mo is the only one left wearing # 42.

Mo Vaughn wore it, and I think Jose Lima did as well. Vaughn is now on the fat farm and I am not sure why Lima changed but he no longer wears it.

Originally posted by Mavrik@Oct 10 2004, 10:06 PM

May the best team win. I hope and believe that that team is the one from NY.

But should the unthinkable happen, and the BoSox pull it off, then I will congratulate them, and pull for the Jets to bomb the Pats the following Sunday.

Seriously, I can admit defeat when it happens. Thankfully, it has not happened much the past 8 years. B)