Thread: Rivera out for now

All League
    This is not good.

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7782193

Oct. 10, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

PANAMA CITY, Panama -- New York Yankees closer Mariano Rivera was headed back to Panama on Sunday, a day after two of his wife's relatives were electrocuted while cleaning the pool at his home.

Victor Dario Avila, a cousin of Rivera's wife, Clara, and his 14-year-old son were killed Saturday, Rivera's cousin, Irma Rivera, told the Associated Press.

The teenager, also named Victor Dario Avila, apparently touched an electrical wire while cleaning the pool in Puerto Caimito, 40 miles east of Panama City. His father died trying to save him, Irma Rivera said.

It was not immediately clear when Rivera would return to New York, where the Yankees open the AL Championship Series on Tuesday night against the Boston Red Sox.

Yankees manager Joe Torre was expected to address the matter during Monday's workout at Yankee Stadium. New York advanced by beating Minnesota 6-5 in 11 innings Saturday, with Rivera getting the win.

Avila was a fisherman who also cleaned and maintained Rivera's home. Clara Rivera was traveling to Panama following the accident, family members said.

"Everyone is sad," Irma Rivera said. "Victor was a good man."

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Banned
    what a sad story

I just wish the best for Mo and his family

Undrafted Free Agent
    Very sad. Gotta feel for the man no matter who you're rooting for.

All League
    Prayers go out to him and his family.

All League
    Prayers indeed go out to him and his family.

He won't miss more than two games though, if that.

Maxman
    Looks like Mariano will be there for Game One.

He is truly a warrior

Banned

he isnt the Jesus Christ of baseball

Jesus Christ is the Mariano Rivera of religeon

Veteran
    I'm glad he's flying back today, but what kind of "mental" shape do you guys think he will be in tonight or tomorrow?

Maxman
    Originally posted by chrebet73@Oct 12 2004, 10:50 AM
    I'm glad he's flying back today, but what kind of "mental" shape do you guys think he will be in tonight or tomorrow?
    It is a tough ordeal no doubt. But Mariano will be fine. He is a Hall Of Famer partly because of his talent, partly because he has no fear.

He will look Joe in the eyes and say give me the ball.

Besides with Schilling going tonight, the Yankees might not be looking at a save situation anyhow. Game 1 will be tough for the Yankees to win.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Maxman+Oct 12 2004, 09:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Oct 12 2004, 09:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chrebet73@Oct 12 2004, 10:50 AM
    I&#39;m glad he&#39;s flying back today, but what kind of "mental" shape do you guys think he will be in tonight or tomorrow?
    It is a tough ordeal no doubt. But Mariano will be fine. He is a Hall Of Famer partly because of his talent, partly because he has no fear.

He will look Joe in the eyes and say give me the ball.

Besides with Schilling going tonight, the Yankees might not be looking at a save situation anyhow. Game 1 will be tough for the Yankees to win. [/b][/quote]
    I think you&#39;re right about that look in the eyes. Mo is a warrior, and if needed he will just get up in the 8th or 9th, and start to warm up.

If he&#39;s there for the pre-game introductions, I hope the fans give him a long and loud ovation. Even BoSox fans have to be partially touched by this tragic event.