Thread: Who do you think is richer? Bush or Kerry?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kerry is! So how come Bush paid almost 2 1/2 times as much tax as Kerry?

[url=http://view.exacttarget.com/?fec0117476600c7a-fe1a1c717c660d797c1176] Scroll to item #6[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Newsmax again, so silly. I opened up the page and I see Ann Coulter - who is hot when her mouth is shut. Fair and Balanced.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 09:21 AM
    [b] Newsmax again, so silly. I opened up the page and I see Ann Coulter - who is hot when her mouth is shut. Fair and Balanced. [/b][/quote]
    As usual you're wrong...

[b]Edwards earns $39 million in 10 years

By Vanessa Williams

Washington Post[/b]

Democratic vice presidential candidate John Edwards reported nearly $39 million in income in the past decade, according to tax returns released late last week by his campaign.

Edwards, a trial lawyer for two decades before winning a seat in the Senate in 1998, reported earnings of $11.4 million in 1997. That year he won two of his biggest cases and set records for jury awards in North Carolina: a $25 million verdict for the family of a girl who was disemboweled in a pool and a $23.3 million medical malpractice verdict for a child injured at birth.

The joint returns for Edwards and his wife, Elizabeth, show they paid $13.2 million, more than 34 percent of their income, in federal income taxes from 1994 to 2003. The couple reported income of $5.2 million in 1994, $5.4 million in 1995, $4.3 million in 1996, $11.4 million in 1997, $5.9 million in 1998, $1.7 million in 1999, $1.8 million in 2000, $1.7 million in 2001, $1.2 million in 2002 and $306,000 in 2003. Until 2001, Elizabeth Edwards listed her occupation as attorney; since then, she has listed her occupation as homemaker.

The tax returns show that the Edwardses reported $5 million in business income after he became a senator, a result of payments he received from his former law partners who bought out his share of the firm. The money did not violate the Senate’s restrictions on outside income because the payments were for services prior to his joining the government payroll. Senators receive an annual salary of $158,100.

Republicans have frequently criticized Edwards’ former career, blaming trial lawyers – particularly those who specialize in medical malpractice – for driving up the cost of business. President Bush, for example, has called for tort reform.

Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John F. Kerry reported $395,338 in income last year and paid $90,575 in taxes. His wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, heiress to the Heinz food company fortune, reported income of $5.1 million last year and paid $587,000 in taxes.

Bush last year reported income of $822,000, on which he paid 28 percent in federal taxes.

[url=http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/news/nation/9589282.htm]http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazett...ion/9589282.htm[/url]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b]Kerrys Paid Just 12% in Federal Income Taxes in 2003-Massachusetts Senator paid skimpy tax bill despite calls for rich to "pay their share"[/b]

WASHINGTON, D.C. - John Kerry has repeatedly called for increasing taxes on the "wealthy" so the affluent "pay their fair share" for the "common good." Ironically, John and Theresa Heinz Kerry, who comprise one the richest families in the world, pay relatively little income tax.

Last year, John Kerry and his wife paid just 12% of their combined income in income taxes, despite their assertion that the rich should contribute increased amounts to government coffers. In contrast, President and Mrs. Bush, who had a substantially lower income than the Kerry's, paid over 28% in taxes.

"John Kerry wants other Americans to pay higher taxes while he and his wife manage to pay a rate lower than most of the middle class," said ATR President Grover Norquist. "Apparently, the Kerry's think everyone else should pay higher taxes but them."

[b]In addition to finding loopholes and write-offs to decrease his taxes, John Kerry has declined to pay a small, voluntary tax in his home state. The Massachusetts state income tax code contains a provision allowing payers to contribute an extra .6% of their income to benefit the commonwealth. Kerry has consistently failed to pay the extra money, which would have amounted to $687 dollars last year. [/b]

"John Kerry thinks other hardworking Americans should pay more taxes while he and his billionaire wife pay as little as possible," continued Norquist. "The hypocrisy John Kerry shows on his own tax return is not indicative of the character and judgment America needs in our President."

[url=http://www.atr.org/pressreleases/2004/pr-kerrystaxes-9-7-04.htm]http://www.atr.org/pressreleases/2004/pr-k...axes-9-7-04.htm[/url]

-------------------------------------------------------

posted a month ago: [url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28789&hl=taxes]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.ph...=28789&hl=taxes[/url]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whats your point? You found one legitimate source to quote from finally? I dont understand the point

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 10:03 AM
    [b] I dont understand the point [/b][/quote]
    Possibly the most intelligent post to ever come from your keyboard.

And once again you are incorrect.....instead of going into the neverending futility of your post I will just point out poor math skills as I've posted articles from two different sources.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b] Newsmax again, so silly. I opened up the page and I see Ann Coulter - who is hot when her mouth is shut. Fair and Balanced. [/b][/quote]
    What difference whether it comes from a conservative or liberal website? If it's true, it's true, if not, it's false. If I had found that info on moveon.org, you would have responded differently, right?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How did you find Kopel's 59 Deceits of Farenhiet 9-11?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bush is a little frat boy *****!! :P

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY+Oct 11 2004, 09:56 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Come Back to NY @ Oct 11 2004, 09:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-4th&Long[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 09:21 AM
    As usual you&#39;re wrong...

[b]Edwards earns &#036;39 million in 10 years

By Vanessa Williams

Washington Post[/b]

Democratic vice presidential candidate John Edwards reported nearly &#036;39 million in income in the past decade, according to tax returns released late last week by his campaign.

Edwards, a trial lawyer for two decades before winning a seat in the Senate in 1998, reported earnings of &#036;11.4 million in 1997. That year he won two of his biggest cases and set records for jury awards in North Carolina: a &#036;25 million verdict for the family of a girl who was disemboweled in a pool and a &#036;23.3 million medical malpractice verdict for a child injured at birth.

The joint returns for Edwards and his wife, Elizabeth, show they paid &#036;13.2 million, more than 34 percent of their income, in federal income taxes from 1994 to 2003. The couple reported income of &#036;5.2 million in 1994, &#036;5.4 million in 1995, &#036;4.3 million in 1996, &#036;11.4 million in 1997, &#036;5.9 million in 1998, &#036;1.7 million in 1999, &#036;1.8 million in 2000, &#036;1.7 million in 2001, &#036;1.2 million in 2002 and &#036;306,000 in 2003. Until 2001, Elizabeth Edwards listed her occupation as attorney; since then, she has listed her occupation as homemaker.

The tax returns show that the Edwardses reported &#036;5 million in business income after he became a senator, a result of payments he received from his former law partners who bought out his share of the firm. The money did not violate the Senate’s restrictions on outside income because the payments were for services prior to his joining the government payroll. Senators receive an annual salary of &#036;158,100.

Republicans have frequently criticized Edwards’ former career, blaming trial lawyers – particularly those who specialize in medical malpractice – for driving up the cost of business. President Bush, for example, has called for tort reform.

Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John F. Kerry reported &#036;395,338 in income last year and paid &#036;90,575 in taxes. His wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, heiress to the Heinz food company fortune, reported income of &#036;5.1 million last year and paid &#036;587,000 in taxes.

Bush last year reported income of &#036;822,000, on which he paid 28 percent in federal taxes.

[url=http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/news/nation/9589282.htm]http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazett...ion/9589282.htm[/url]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b]Kerrys Paid Just 12% in Federal Income Taxes in 2003-Massachusetts Senator paid skimpy tax bill despite calls for rich to "pay their share"[/b]

WASHINGTON, D.C. - John Kerry has repeatedly called for increasing taxes on the "wealthy" so the affluent "pay their fair share" for the "common good." Ironically, John and Theresa Heinz Kerry, who comprise one the richest families in the world, pay relatively little income tax.

Last year, John Kerry and his wife paid just 12% of their combined income in income taxes, despite their assertion that the rich should contribute increased amounts to government coffers. In contrast, President and Mrs. Bush, who had a substantially lower income than the Kerry&#39;s, paid over 28% in taxes.

"John Kerry wants other Americans to pay higher taxes while he and his wife manage to pay a rate lower than most of the middle class," said ATR President Grover Norquist. "Apparently, the Kerry&#39;s think everyone else should pay higher taxes but them."

[b]In addition to finding loopholes and write-offs to decrease his taxes, John Kerry has declined to pay a small, voluntary tax in his home state. The Massachusetts state income tax code contains a provision allowing payers to contribute an extra .6% of their income to benefit the commonwealth. Kerry has consistently failed to pay the extra money, which would have amounted to &#036;687 dollars last year. [/b]

"John Kerry thinks other hardworking Americans should pay more taxes while he and his billionaire wife pay as little as possible," continued Norquist. "The hypocrisy John Kerry shows on his own tax return is not indicative of the character and judgment America needs in our President."

[url=http://www.atr.org/pressreleases/2004/pr-kerrystaxes-9-7-04.htm]http://www.atr.org/pressreleases/2004/pr-k...axes-9-7-04.htm[/url]

-------------------------------------------------------

posted a month ago: [url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28789&hl=taxes]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/index.ph...=28789&hl=taxes[/url] [/b][/quote]
    Ok, lotsa info there, but only one question is really releavant:

Did John Kerry and John Edwards pay the taxes they were obligated to pay under their state&#39;s taxation laws?

If the answer is yes, then what is the issue here? Calling for the rich to "pay their share", while assanine when considered economically (the rich already pay more than their share), is an opinion and a desire, nothing more.

Anyone who thinks John Kerry should have OVERPAID his taxes based on his "pay their share" rhetoric are imbiciles, period. He paid what he should have, and that is all anyone should have to, regardless of their political beliefs. I am sure, if he is elected and raises taxes on the rich (including himself), that he will continue to "pay his share" by paying what his new tax laws would require.

It may be an assinine viewpoint, but it is more assinine to think he should overpay.