Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Liberal Media

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url=http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/11/politics/campaign/11film.html?hp&ex=1097553600&en=7330a800bcb28142&ei=5094&partner=homepage]http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/11/politics...artner=homepage[/url]

TV Group to Show Anti- Kerry Film on 62 Stations
    By JIM RUTENBERG

Published: October 11, 2004

Up to 62 television stations owned or managed by the Sinclair Broadcasting Group - many of them in swing states - will show a documentary highly critical of Senator John Kerry's antiwar activities 30 years ago within the next two weeks, Sinclair officials said yesterday.

Those officials said the documentary would pre-empt regular night programming, including prime time, on its stations, which include affiliates for all six of the major broadcast networks in the swing states of Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin, Nevada and Pennsylvania.

Called "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal," the documentary features Vietnam veterans who say their Vietnamese captors used Mr. Kerry's 1971 Senate testimony, in which he recounted stories of American atrocities, prolonging their torture and betraying and demoralizing them. Similar claims were made by prisoners of war in a commercial that ran during the summer from an anti-Kerry veterans group, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

Two of the former prisoners who appeared in the Swift Boat advertisement were interviewed for the movie, including Ken Cordier, who had to resign as a volunteer in the Bush campaign after the advertisement came out.

Sinclair's plan to show the documentary was first made public by The Los Angeles Times on Saturday.

[b]Mark Hyman, Sinclair's vice president for corporate relations, who doubles as a conservative commentator on its news stations, said the film would be shown because Sinclair deemed it newsworthy. [/b]

"Clearly John Kerry has made his Vietnam service the foundation of his presidential run; this is an issue that is certainly topical," he said. Asked what defined something as newsworthy, Mr. Hyman said, "In that it hasn't been out in the marketplace, and the news marketplace."

[b]Because Sinclair is defining the documentary - which will run commercial free - as news, it is unclear if it will be required by federal regulations to provide Mr. Kerry's campaign with equal time to respond. [/b]

But acknowledging that news standards call for fairness, Mr. Hyman said an invitation has been extended to Mr. Kerry to respond after the documentary is shown. "There are certainly serious allegations that are leveled; we would very much like to get his response," he said.

Asked if Sinclair would consider running a documentary of similar length either lauding Mr. Kerry, responding to the charges in "Stolen Honor" or criticizing Mr. Bush, Mr. Hyman said, "We'd just have to take a look at it."

Aides to Mr. Kerry said he would not accept Sinclair's invitation.

"It's hard to take an offer seriously from a group that is hellbent on doing anything to help elect President Bush even if that means violating basic journalism standards," said Chad Clanton, a Kerry spokesman.

Sinclair's plans put Mr. Kerry's campaign in an awkward position similar to the one in which it found itself in August, when the Swift Boat group first began running commercials against him containing unsubstantiated charges that he lied to get his war medals. Mr. Kerry's aides at first held back from responding, so as not to give the group and its charges more attention - a decision that some Kerry aides now acknowledge cost him in public opinion polls.

Mr. Clanton said Mr. Kerry's campaign would call on supporters to stage advertiser boycotts and demonstrations against Sinclair's stations.

A group of Democratic senators, including Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts and Dianne Feinstein of California, readied a letter calling for the Federal Communications Commission to investigate the move, arguing that the documentary was not news but a prolonged political advertisement from Mr. Bush and, as such, violated fairness rules.

Andrew Jay Schwartzman, president of the Media Access Project, an advocacy group promoting greater media regulation, said he did not think the film would qualify for a news exemption. And, he said, even if it did fall under equal time provisions, those are based on candidate appearances and in this case, since it is Mr. Kerry who appears, "albeit disparagingly," stations would be required to show Mr. Bush or possibly the independent candidate Ralph Nader, if they requested it.

Sinclair was already a galvanizing force for Democrats. The political donations of its executives have gone overwhelmingly to Republicans, according to a review of donations on Politicalmoneyline.com. In April Sinclair refused to run an episode of "Nightline" on its stations in which the anchor Ted Koppel spent the entire program reading the names of American soldiers killed in Iraq.

"Stolen Honor" was produced by Carlton Sherwood, formerly a reporter with The Washington Times. His Web site says he received no money from any political party or campaign but got initial funding from Pennsylvania veterans.

The documentary has been distributed by mail order and via streaming Internet connections. Mr. Hyman said Sinclair was not paying for the right to broadcast it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good, 'bout damn time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    even O'reilly and Mccain find it absolutely shameful that this decorated vietnam vet who volunteered is having his record questioned..it's typical GOP right wing attacxk dog BS....
    shameful..you cons on the board who claim to be patriotic and then drag kerrys name through the mud should be tarred and feathered...
    bush is *****

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    if the media was liberal, they would demand that the little bush be re-educated...no one ever brings up the fact that little bush cannot complete a sentence without stuttering like a crack head.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by 4th&Long[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 10:13 AM
    [b] [b]Because Sinclair is defining the documentary - which will run commercial free - as news, it is unclear if it will be required by federal regulations to provide Mr. Kerry's campaign with equal time to respond. [/b]

[/b][/quote]
    Interesting point in that the past few weeks Opie and kerri have made separate appearances on morning shows like Regis...yet I've never seen GWB or Cheney on these shows.

Interesting in that 60 Minutes...a documentary show, has had the likes of Paul O'Niell, Richard Clarke trashing the President and went out of their way to use fraudulent documents to try and sway the vote yet to date have never had SwiftBoatVets For Truth on...ditto for the Today Show who gave Kitty Kelly three mornings to push her pack of lies.

Cripes...back in 2000 that fat lesbo Rosie had heir hillary on during her campaign yet never gave equal time to Lazio.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 10:26 AM
    [b] if the media was liberal, they would demand that the little bush be re-educated...no one ever brings up the fact that little bush cannot complete a sentence without stuttering like a crack head. [/b][/quote]
    [quote][b]bush is ***** [/b][/quote] :blink:

Those in glass houses man... glass houses... :lol:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 10:22 AM
    [b] even O'reilly and Mccain find it absolutely shameful that this decorated vietnam vet who volunteered is having his record questioned..it's typical GOP right wing attacxk dog BS....
    shameful..you cons on the board who claim to be patriotic and then drag kerrys name through the mud should be tarred and feathered...
    bush is ***** [/b][/quote]
    Actully, I think that we can all agree that Kerry's Vietnam record should not be questioned. That film does not question his service. It questions his behavior after the war including denigrating our troops and selling out the POW's. I think Kerrys post Vietnam record is fair game and I think Oreily and McCain would and have allready agreed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by chiefst2000+Oct 11 2004, 10:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (chiefst2000 &#064; Oct 11 2004, 10:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bman[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 10:22 AM
    [b] even O&#39;reilly and Mccain find it absolutely shameful that this decorated vietnam vet who volunteered is having his record questioned..it&#39;s typical GOP right wing attacxk dog BS....
    bush is ***** [/b][/quote]
    Actully, I think that we can all agree that Kerry&#39;s Vietnam record should not be questioned. That film does not question his service. It questions his behavior after the war including denigrating our troops and selling out the POW&#39;s. I think Kerrys post Vietnam record is fair game and I think Oreily and McCain would and have allready agreed. [/b][/quote]
    Kerry called my father a baby-killing rapist, while my father was still in country facing hostile fire...hostile fire that Kerry used a loop-hole to avoid facing after a mere 3 months (after one month of training spent at Cam Ranh Bay), even though at least two of his wounds were self-inflicted, none of which required him to be hospitalized or miss even a [i]single day[/i] of active duty. 250 of the 270 people who served closely with him say he is full of sh*t and don&#39;t support him.

Yeah, his smearing of the soldiers after he returned, or his meeting with the enemy in Paris isn&#39;t relevant.... :blink:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 10:41 AM
    [b] Kerry called my father a baby-killing rapist, while my father was still in country facing hostile fire...hostile fire that Kerry used a loop-hole to avoid facing after a mere 3 months (after one month of training spent at Cam Ranh Bay), even though at least two of his wounds were self-inflicted, none of which required him to be hospitalized or miss even a [i]single day[/i] of active duty. 250 of the 270 people who served closely with him say he is full of sh*t and don&#39;t support him.

Yeah, his smearing of the soldiers after he returned, or his meeting with the enemy in Paris isn&#39;t relevant.... :blink: [/b][/quote]
    Maybe your father wasn&#39;t a baby-killing rapist, but other soldiers in &#39;Nam WERE, so Kerry was right to talk about that. The American people had a right to know that some soldiers were comitting atrocities. Of course, it was the government&#39;s fault why they were there in the first place. Should Kerry have just not said anything and let the war crimes continue? Is ignorance bliss to you?

The truth is your father fought in an injust war, just like our men and women in Iraq right now. And if you support the Iraq occupation 100%, why don&#39;t you enlist and go fight the war yourself? It&#39;s easy to support military conflict from the comfort of your computer desk.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JoeyStylez+Oct 11 2004, 03:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (JoeyStylez @ Oct 11 2004, 03:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jets5ever[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 10:41 AM
    [b] Kerry called my father a baby-killing rapist, while my father was still in country facing hostile fire...hostile fire that Kerry used a loop-hole to avoid facing after a mere 3 months (after one month of training spent at Cam Ranh Bay), even though at least two of his wounds were self-inflicted, none of which required him to be hospitalized or miss even a [i]single day[/i] of active duty. 250 of the 270 people who served closely with him say he is full of sh*t and don&#39;t support him.

Yeah, his smearing of the soldiers after he returned, or his meeting with the enemy in Paris isn&#39;t relevant.... :blink: [/b][/quote]
    Maybe your father wasn&#39;t a baby-killing rapist, but other soldiers in &#39;Nam WERE, so Kerry was right to talk about that. The American people had a right to know that some soldiers were comitting atrocities. Of course, it was the government&#39;s fault why they were there in the first place. Should Kerry have just not said anything and let the war crimes continue? Is ignorance bliss to you?

The truth is your father fought in an injust war, just like our men and women in Iraq right now. And if you support the Iraq occupation 100%, why don&#39;t you enlist and go fight the war yourself? It&#39;s easy to support military conflict from the comfort of your computer desk. [/b][/quote]
    What war crimes? Kerry has since admitted that he lied in his testimony. He never saw any of that stuff going down. American soldiers are Heros not criminals. There are allways exceptions but the overwhelming majority never comitted any atrocities.

We had POW&#39;s getting tortured every day who wouldn&#39;t falselyu admit to comitting atrocities and Kerry sold them out for political gain. He is the worst kind of liberal scum. If you believe that the majority of soldiers in Nam were criminals then your scum too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i don&#39;t blame the soldiers so much but it&#39;s not only kerry who has said that babies and innocents were murdered...when you send kids to war for q&#39;sketchy&#39; reasons and ask them to KILL other poor people..than bad stuff will go down...

i think a great rule would be this: any president who starts a war when we haven&#39;t been attacked first MUST be on the front line too&#33; how about that?
    who&#39;s with me&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JoeyStylez+Oct 11 2004, 03:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (JoeyStylez &#064; Oct 11 2004, 03:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jets5ever[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 10:41 AM

The truth is your father fought in an injust war, just like our men and women in Iraq right now. And if you support the Iraq occupation 100%, why don&#39;t you enlist and go fight the war yourself? It&#39;s easy to support military conflict from the comfort of your computer desk. [/b][/quote]
    Why didn&#39;t Kerry provide specific evidence or level specific charges against all of the people he observed doing the things he alleged? Why do none of his fellow Swifties corroborate his stories? Not a single one&#33; Why does he backtrack from those statements now, saying the language he used was "harsh and unfortunate"? If what he was saying were true, surely he&#39;d be derelict in his duties by refusing to name names, thus allowing it to continue? Why do the people who served with him state that nothing of that sort ocurred in the areas they were present? Surely Kerry by himself was not the only one to witness such atrocities?

The truth is that he used his anti-war posturing as a way to gain publicity and notoriety, which he used to launch his political career. He selfishly slandered his fellow soldiers for nothing but his own ambition. And he did this while his fellow soldiers were still in country facing hostile fire...people like my father&#33;

Here&#39;s the problem with your "ignorance is bliss" line: Kerry&#39;s statements did NOTHING to stop the alleged atrocities&#33; Your entire point about the need for his statements is erased by his staunch refusal, even today, to provide details of even a single incident of torture or to name even a single person he observed doing these things. Not a single one&#33; How can you be this foolish?&#33;

It&#39;s also easy to be against all wars that you consider to be "unjust" from the comfort and safety of your computer desk. I have two cousins who are presently in Iraq, and I donate a substantial portion of my income to military charities, since I come from a military family. I had the opportunity to go to a very good college, and was urged by my father, a Navy veteran, to do so.

If you are against the war 100%, why don&#39;t you go over to Iraq and become a human shield? It&#39;s easy to lecture others about peace and unjust wars from the comfort of your computer desk, using the freedom gained from the collective sacrifice of men with greater integrity than you possess.

How much money do YOU send to military charities? How much money do you donate to charities for Afghani and Iraqi children?

Just or unjust is a matter of opinion. What is NOT debatable is that Kerry slandered his fellow brothers for selfish, short-term political gain. That is horrifying, and should appall anyone who is objective enough to admit to reality. Perhaps you&#39;d feel differently if your father was over there and knew for a fact that Kerry was and is full of sh*t in this regard.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]Just or unjust is a matter of opinion. What is NOT debatable is that Kerry slandered his fellow brothers for selfish, short-term political gain. That is horrifying, and should appall anyone who is objective enough to admit to reality. Perhaps you&#39;d feel differently if your father was over there and knew for a fact that Kerry was and is full of sh*t in this regard. [/b][/quote]

Yes, Kerry is Scum on this issue, and his service appears from all aspects to have been something less than honorable.

However, if you think for a second that Kerry&#39;s lies mean NO attrocities were committed by U.S. forces, per U.S. Command guidence, during the Vietnam Conflict, you are being naive Jets5. You father may indeed have fought honorably, I have no way of knowing otherwise, but not every soldier in that war did, and not every commander (all the way up) was as honorable as you seem to imply. Yes, war is hell, but evil immorallity in the conduct of war is still evil immorallity.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 09:22 AM
    [b]even O&#39;reilly and Mccain find it absolutely shameful that this decorated vietnam vet who volunteered is having his record questioned..it&#39;s typical GOP right wing attacxk dog BS....[/b][/quote]
    And the Democrats&#39; questioning of Bush&#39;s record isn&#39;t a smear tactic? Neither is the use of falsified records without checking your sources isn&#39;t the least bit dirty, if that, fraudulent? To that I say... [SIZE=3][b]release the hounds&#33;[/b][/SIZE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 05:05 PM
    [b] [quote][b]Just or unjust is a matter of opinion. What is NOT debatable is that Kerry slandered his fellow brothers for selfish, short-term political gain. That is horrifying, and should appall anyone who is objective enough to admit to reality. Perhaps you&#39;d feel differently if your father was over there and knew for a fact that Kerry was and is full of sh*t in this regard. [/b][/quote]

Yes, Kerry is Scum on this issue, and his service appears from all aspects to have been something less than honorable.

However, if you think for a second that Kerry&#39;s lies mean NO attrocities were committed by U.S. forces, per U.S. Command guidence, during the Vietnam Conflict, you are being naive Jets5. You father may indeed have fought honorably, I have no way of knowing otherwise, but not every soldier in that war did, and not every commander (all the way up) was as honorable as you seem to imply. Yes, war is hell, but evil immorallity in the conduct of war is still evil immorallity. [/b][/quote]
    Spare me, of course I know all soldiers aren&#39;t angels. That has nothing to do with anything. Stop creating straw men Fisher - it&#39;s all you ever do, it seems. Yeah, I really think no atrocities whatsoever were committed - get over yourself....When did I imply that they were all choir boys?? Kerry slandered my father while my father was still in country facing hostile fire&#33; Sorry, end of discussion. Kerry saw NOTHING. Kerry filed no complaint while he witnessed these atrocities in country, not a thing&#33; My father and all of the people who served with him have not corroborated his stories, not even close. He has backed off of his words HIMSELF lately, and he never ONCE came up wth a single instance or single name&#33; Never once, not one name, not one confirmed instance of ANY abuse whatsoever&#33; He&#39;s a selfish pr*ck who made sh*t up to gain notoriety and fame an leveraged that ill-gotten fame into a political career...at the expense of good men like my father. F*ck that sh*t-bag and his bacitracin loophole, home video re-enactment bullsh*t.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    easy hero

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 09:44 PM
    [b] F*ck that sh*t-bag and his bacitracin loophole, home video re-enactment bullsh*t. [/b][/quote]
    Any Vet will tell you no one goes to War with Video equipment..Unless
    your initials are JFK with Kerry being the K and him saying many years
    ago he would be the second JFK from Mass to be President&#33; He went into
    Swift Boats to be like JFK who was a PT Boat Commander&#33; Another fact
    was his draft number was 35 he would have been drafted..Bush was in
    the 3 hundreds he wouldn&#39;t have been..Kerry thought the swift boats
    would be like the Coast Guard over there and almost S-it when he found
    out they would Patrol in Country&#33; I wouldn&#39;t pick on his service either BUT..
    What he did when he came back was nothing short of dispicable.. <_<

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 10:28 AM
    [b] Interesting point in that the past few weeks Opie and kerri have made separate appearances on morning shows like Regis...yet I&#39;ve never seen GWB or Cheney on these shows. [/b][/quote]
    Wasn&#39;t Dubya on Oprah a couple weeks ago, or did I just dream up that vast left-wing conspiracy?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Oct 11 2004, 08:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Oct 11 2004, 08:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Warfish[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 05:05 PM
    [b] [quote][b]Just or unjust is a matter of opinion. What is NOT debatable is that Kerry slandered his fellow brothers for selfish, short-term political gain. That is horrifying, and should appall anyone who is objective enough to admit to reality. Perhaps you&#39;d feel differently if your father was over there and knew for a fact that Kerry was and is full of sh*t in this regard. [/b][/quote]

However, if you think for a second that Kerry&#39;s lies mean NO attrocities were committed by U.S. forces, per U.S. Command guidence, during the Vietnam Conflict, you are being naive Jets5. You father may indeed have fought honorably, I have no way of knowing otherwise, but not every soldier in that war did, and not every commander (all the way up) was as honorable as you seem to imply. Yes, war is hell, but evil immorallity in the conduct of war is still evil immorallity. [/b][/quote]
    Spare me, of course I know all soldiers aren&#39;t angels. That has nothing to do with anything. Stop creating straw men Fisher - it&#39;s all you ever do, it seems. Yeah, I really think no atrocities whatsoever were committed - get over yourself....When did I imply that they were all choir boys?? Kerry slandered my father while my father was still in country facing hostile fire&#33; Sorry, end of discussion. Kerry saw NOTHING. Kerry filed no complaint while he witnessed these atrocities in country, not a thing&#33; My father and all of the people who served with him have not corroborated his stories, not even close. He has backed off of his words HIMSELF lately, and he never ONCE came up wth a single instance or single name&#33; Never once, not one name, not one confirmed instance of ANY abuse whatsoever&#33; He&#39;s a selfish pr*ck who made sh*t up to gain notoriety and fame an leveraged that ill-gotten fame into a political career...at the expense of good men like my father. F*ck that sh*t-bag and his bacitracin loophole, home video re-enactment bullsh*t. [/b][/quote]
    I understand this is a sensative issue for you Jets5, due to your fathers personal action in Vietnam, and I do not defend Mr. Kerry on his false accusations in any way. However, the U.S. did indeed commit heinious acts in the Vietnam era, and that point should simply not be forgotton, lest we repeat the errors of the past (oops, too late).

Kerry was wrong to lie when he saw nothing. He should have simply stated the truth: That he heard of the specific attrocities he noted second hand. The effort to stop the U.S. from denegrating to just another murdering immoral army utilizing the evil tactics of an immoral State, was a good and moral and rightious cause, by ANY set of standards.

Maintaining the moral core of the United States is not in any way a "Straw Man" issue Jets5. Clearly, the lessons we learned in Vietnam were not remembered, since we appear to be repeating many of them already in Iraq.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fisher, you speculated that I may have thought that no atrocities were committed in Vietnam by US soldiers. I never implied that and further, it has absolutely nothing to do with my point. Nothing at all. US soldiers committed atrocities in every war we&#39;ve been in; hell, we did it to our own people in the Civil War. We did it in both World Wars, etc.

This moral core crap has nothing to do with the fact that Kerry lied through his teeth at the expense of my father and my father&#39;s and Kerry&#39;s brothers in arms. He made sh*t up, just made it up.

[i]That [/i]is the issue - not some generalized, cotton-candy tangent about maintaining the USA&#39;s moral core. Calling Kerry a liar doesn&#39;t mean I think no atrocities ocurred or that every soldier acted honorably or that I condone misconduct by our military. I&#39;m not "forgetting" what happened in Vietnam, nor suggesting that we should. This isn&#39;t some Big Picture topic or issue. This is about what John Kerry said, period. You know that.