Thread: Mets and Jets

I'm a fan of both the Mets and the Jets and live in the UK.
    In England there is fierce tribal rivalry between soccer teams in the same city (I support Birmingham City incidentally), usually based on the geography of where you were born. For example most people who support my team are from the South of the city, and we pretty much hate our rivals.
    In New York is this the same and if so from which sides of town are Yankees and Mets fans from and also Giants and Jets fans?
    Do the fans of these teams get on with each other generally in New York?
    Would most Mets fans follow the same football team or is it purely based on personal choice and how/where you were raised?
    Lastly, I am also looking to follow the fortunes of a New York Basketball and Ice Hockey team. Any suggestions as to who I should cheer for as well as the Mets and Jets?
    Thanks for any help.......

All Pro
    Originally posted by Miffy1875@Oct 12 2004, 03:56 PM
    I'm a fan of both the Mets and the Jets and live in the UK.
    In England there is fierce tribal rivalry between soccer teams in the same city (I support Birmingham City incidentally), usually based on the geography of where you were born. For example most people who support my team are from the South of the city, and we pretty much hate our rivals.
    In New York is this the same and if so from which sides of town are Yankees and Mets fans from and also Giants and Jets fans?
    Do the fans of these teams get on with each other generally in New York?
    Would most Mets fans follow the same football team or is it purely based on personal choice and how/where you were raised?
    Lastly, I am also looking to follow the fortunes of a New York Basketball and Ice Hockey team. Any suggestions as to who I should cheer for as well as the Mets and Jets?
    Thanks for any help.......
    as far as the hockey team is concerned, don't bother rooting for the Rangers or the Islanders. The Rangers continuously suck despite having one of the highest payrolls in the league and the Islanders are just flat out garbage. Best to root for my beloved Detroit Red Wings.

A new yorker would better answer the other part of your question than i could, but from what ive known, Yankees and Mets fans hate each other a lot more than Giant and Jets fans do. But I could be wrong.

Mets and Yankee fans hate each other more tha Jets and Giants fans. Its deeper rooted in the tradition of how the Mets were created.

The Mets were made for the fans of the 2 NL teams that went to California, both of which had rivalrys with the Yankees dating back to the 1920's

The Jets and the Giants are not that intense of a rival, altough as in any sports when a few beers go down, the s**t talk begins.

I know a few Jet fans that pull for the Giants aswell, I no ZERO Met fans that would pull for the Yankees.

Mets and Yankee fans hate each other more tha Jets and Giants fans. Its deeper rooted in the tradition of how the Mets were created.
    Met fans intensely hate Yankee fans but Yankee fans don't really care about the Mets as they are rarely a threat.

Hall Of Fame
    I really dont care about the mets. There never in the postseason , they always pick up crappy players when they had a chance to get great players , there just losers you feel bad for you know. I understand why met fans hate the yankees, the Jealously. Thats all it basically is .... Jealously.

All League
    It's true.

The main reason I hate the Yankees is because I'm jealous.

It's the reason most Mets fans do, myself included

Well I am a Mets fan and a Yankees fan.

I'd rather see the Mets win a world series, Yankees are next best.

On the other hand. I can name almost every yankee... umm
    I knew John Franco on the mets.. Mike Piazza.. Jose Reyes... I don't know anyone else: )

Veteran
    NY Baseball: (I am a Mets fan) Mets fans hate the Yankees with a passion. Yankee fans also hate the Mets as evidenced by their pleasure at the Mets misfortunes. I dont know ANYONE who is a PASSIONATE fan and who likes the other team. Geogaphically-Mets fans are generally East (Queens, Bklyn, Long Island) with Yanks West (Bronx, MAnhattan, NJ, Westchester) but neither teams has a monopoly in these area by any means. The fan base is probably 50/50 however currently there is an overwhelming Yankee slant due to their recent success. In the 80's the slant was the other way. A good example is Met fans rooting for the Braves over the Yanks in the WS, and Yank fans rooting for Boston in 86.

NY Football: There are fans who hate the other team but thats not the majority. When they announce the Giants score at a Jet game it gets mixed reactions. The only hatred that goes on is when they play each other. Giants hold a big edge in fan base (remember Jets came through expansion while Mets inherited Doder/Giant fans).

NY Basketball: The Nets are not even on the scale. The few Net fans that exist do hate the Knicks, but even despite the Nets recent success, Knick fans dont consider the nets at all. This could change in a few years as the Nets are planning to move to Brooklyn.

NY Hockey: the interest in hockey has plummeted over the last decade and the current lockout situation wont help, however Ranger fans and Islanders are like Met/Yankee fans. Alot of hatred here. Ranger fans overwhelm the no. of Devil/Islander fans combined. While Devils fans do hate the Rangers, Ranger fans dont seem to feel that strongly about the Devils (until the Devils actualy beat the Rangers in a playoff series.)

Originally posted by thechadzone10@Oct 12 2004, 03:38 PM
    I really dont care about the mets. There never in the postseason , they always pick up crappy players when they had a chance to get great players , there just losers you feel bad for you know. I understand why met fans hate the yankees, the Jealously. Thats all it basically is .... Jealously.
    This is so true. Down deep, every Mets fan is jealous of the Yankees success.

I don't hate the Mets. I don't care for them. But this much I'll tell you. I was hoping that they would get to the WS in 2000, when they clinched a playoff berth at the end of the season back then. A Yankees/Mets WS was a fabulous experience to live through. Everyone was talking about it all week long. It's a wonder that the business deals in NY City didn't just stop for that week.

I believe that everyone who roots for one of the NY football teams would also love a Jets/Giants SB. Now, that would be something!! :o

Hall Of Fame
    Exactly. Hell after they swept us this year i was hoping for them to make the playoffs so we can swept there butts again in another subway series. The 2000 Subway series was magical scene. The whole tri state area was divided, all the fans would support there colors ... It was great! I live in Jersey and Back in 2000 almost every highway had tents set up selling Yankee vs Mets gear. I would love to see a Jets vs Giants superbowl and this year its not too far fetched.

Originally posted by thechadzone10@Oct 13 2004, 01:58 PM
    Exactly. Hell after they swept us this year i was hoping for them to make the playoffs so we can swept there butts again in another subway series. The 2000 Subway series was magical scene. The whole tri state area was divided, all the fans would support there colors ... It was great! I live in Jersey and Back in 2000 almost every highway had tents set up selling Yankee vs Mets gear. I would love to see a Jets vs Giants superbowl and this year its not too far fetched.
    The probability of the Jets/Giants playing in the SB in the same season against each other is the current playoff system. One and done. A team needs to wwin 2 or 3 playoff games to get to the SB. Too many things can happen on a given week in the NFL, that this senario is very unlikely.

Originally posted by nyjunc@Oct 12 2004, 04:29 PM
    Met fans intensely hate Yankee fans but Yankee fans don't really care about the Mets as they are rarely a threat.
    I think you are wrong there. Most Yankee fans I know lose their minds when Met fans give them grief about anything. It is almost like when you were kids, and you NEVER would think of taking crap from your little brother. (Geez, did I just say, "The Yankees are my big brother?" Sorry, Pedro. :lol: )

Anyhow, speaking as a Met fan, why would I intensely hate Yankee fans? Other than a few exceptions, most of them know their stuff and there is too much difference between the teams right now anyway. What good is it to argue with a Yankee fan these days? Even if the Sox take the next four, what am I supposed to say?

The best trash talking comes when the teams are on more even ground. In 2000, I think the animosity between Met and Yankee fans hit its peak. Even though the Mets lost, it was a great time to be a baseball fan around here.

On that same note, if Jets and Giants keep winning, you'll start hearing some smack later this month.

85% of the Yankee fanbase is know nothing dolts who couldn't tell you 1 bit of their own history let alone anything about the pastime.

Hall Of Fame
    Are you f'n kidding me? that was by far the worst comment i've ever heard on this board! That should be the main quote in everyones profile , wow! You have no idea what you are talking about , I guess you dont live in the tri state area then .

I'd like to meet you in a google free area, I would take you to school. not only about baseball history but about your own teams history.

Yankee fans knowledge is limited to what the yes network tells them.

Quick question, what is the K.C. connection?

flushingjet
    not surprised at the general lack of perspective/fact, except for shadetree...
    and sect 112....etc. due to your avg. age probably.

The Mets and Jets (nee Titans) arrived about the same time c. 1960 both started at the same park, the recently vacated (by the NY Giants) decrepit hulk known as the Polo Grounds. The Mets were the team created to replace the NL Giants and Dodgers, who both vacated for California for reasons valid & invalid in a truly dark moment in NYC's history (imagine both Manchester teams leaving simultaneously) You had to have been there, but my dad who was a NY Giants fan, said that Dodgers/Giants was the greatest rivalry ever in sports and the pennant was the #1 goal , with the WS an afterthought (no wild card or divisions but a 3 game playoff for ties (unlike the AL, which had a 1 game playoff)). Unlike today where you are considered a loser if you dont win it all.

The Jets were created to compete for the NY NFL $ as the Giants were NFL title bound most years 1956-1963.

The J's & mets both ended up at Shea Stadium in Flushing Queens NYC , one of the the 1st new NL stadiums in decades. That area was burgeoning w/ suburban and semi-urban postwar kids & teens (like me) so most (but not all) of the local LI
    folks grew up as jet and met fans. the shea area, although isolated on most of its boundary was much easier and safer to go to from LI compared to the declining bronx as well so more attractive. the closer LI location as well as the teams ascendancy, like the Islanders to follow took some fan base from the established teams.

giants football (whose fan base extended to new england, whose redskins moved to DC years earlier) & yankee fans are heriditary, most yankees fans came from bronx, westchester, north jersey to my knowledge. The Yankees had a NJ farm team in Newark NJ as well.

Both jets & mets were horrible initially but amazingly reached the pinnacle in the year 1969. The Mets being a novelty, drew very well from the start.

More often than not both teams have been under .500

Both teams at varying times time have had arguably more atttention
    than the established, older NFL Giants & AL Yankees-they have generally had more
    colorful / controversial figures. namath, gastineau, strawberry, gooden

I have no idea what makes a fan 25 and under a Jets fan, unless they latched on in 1998 and stayed on.

The Jets boogied in 1984 to co-inhabit the newer, cleaner Giants Stadium in a shady move (ex owner oilman Hess complained about even then deteriorating Shea's toilets but wanted 20,000 extra seats & a chance to unload a brace of failing NJ racetracks to NJ)

Give the Yankees and NFL Giants credit. They rebuilt their teams into champions
    several times in the ensuing decades since the Jets & Mets won in '69 with the
    mets only having the one, very lucky win over the Sox to show for a underachieving super-team. The Mets in 2000 put it together for one year but their destiny hinged on Piazza vs Clemens, a turning point where they meekly turned away and swirled down the tollet to their present state.

I dont believe in curses or karma. good organizations that coalesce know how to rebuiild while some of their stars are in decline, like the Yankees did all throughout the 40s, 50s and early 60s. And it looks like the Jets are having the same kind of logic in practice now. You can say things like 'the Sox didnt integrate their team' but guess what, the Yankees were not teeming with minorities either. They just were a more complete team over the years, particularly in the pitching dept. And they always were lucky with picking other teams discards. Look at Tony Clark. He was a good player who declined precipitously playing for the likes of the Sox, mets etc was almost out of baseball completely and he is now a semi-productive bench player. Same goes for Olerud, Sierra, El Duque, etc and historically the Yankees have got mucho mileage out of other teams late season throwaways.
    Look what the Jints are getting out of Warner, amazing. Hed stink as a jet!

In 3-4 years whos to say when Rivera, Jeter fade the Yankees wont have a trough like the late 60s and early 70s when they were struggling and Baltimore and Oakland (after a 40 yr drought) ruled. Yankees fans should savor the good times they will eventually end-the likes of Rivera comes but once every 25-50 yrs.

flushingjet
    one more thing, since the mets/yankees and jets/giants are in different leagues,/ conferences you could theoretically root for both baseball, football teams. That always struck me as a little wishy-washy. Pre-NFL/AFL merger you could probably feel that way since the AFL was considered a league of lesser quality. I was formerly sympathetic to the Giants and was glad, for my brother who was a Giants fan when they won in 87. My first sports hero was actually YA Tittle though I never became a Giants fan. For some reason most of the Giants fans became insufferable aholes after that ( eg a guy on the street who saw my Jets shirt said I was wearing the 'wrong' shirt; starting dumb fights at other NY sporting events) I couldnt stand it when they won again and I was sick for 2 weeks until the Ravens finally put them away. Jealousy and arrogance do factor in.

Banned
    I honestly dont hate the mets at all (unlike some yankee fans on this board), but i love to take cheapshots at them for fun

and obviously, I'm the resident Jet-Giant fan B)

go amani

Miffy all you need to know is Mets' Fans are flaming a-holes. Yankees fans are even bigger flaming a-holes.

The Jets are the red headed step child of NY sports. They do not have the history of any of the other teams and short of one fluke season are no more memorable then a stain on the bottom of the toilet.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by PFSIKH@Oct 16 2004, 04:33 AM
    Miffy all you need to know is Mets' Fans are flaming a-holes. Yankees fans are even bigger flaming a-holes.

The Jets are the red headed step child of NY sports. They do not have the history of any of the other teams and short of one fluke season are no more memorable then a stain on the bottom of the toilet.
    :lol: :lol: And the Red Sox will never get rid of the curse........... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: